HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 12:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
What is the elevation difference compared to the Harper building? Seems to me that St Bernard could get away with less height and still have a significant presence on Moncton's skyline. 15-18s would probably get close to the assumption is my guess.
The original St. Bernard Square was to have been 12 storeys. The revamped project (new developer, new backers) is rumoured to be 20(+) storeys. As such, if true, this would rival Assumption Place in height.

Assumption Place, St. Bernard Square and the Ashford/Downing project are all within a few blocks of one another. This (along with other more modest buildings like FiveFive Queen, the city hall complex, the Marriott and the Blue Cross Centre) would actually give the downtown east end the nacent start of a decent cluster of mid to high rise buildings.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Drilling again today. They seem to be doing a comprehensive soil analysis across the entire length and breadth of the lot.

I can't help wondering if this comprehensive retesting doesn't mean that the new developer plans a building with significantly different style and/or stature.
Let's hope this project gets off the ground, hopefully in the spring. I's not that far away from the Queen/Steadman area, so it would make a good addition to a cluster of buildings in this area. Especially if they do the rumoured 20 floors.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Let's hope this project gets off the ground, hopefully in the spring. I's not that far away from the Queen/Steadman area, so it would make a good addition to a cluster of buildings in this area. Especially if they do the rumoured 20 floors.
Don’t hold your breath - I’d be very surprised to see this project move forward.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Don’t hold your breath - I’d be very surprised to see this project move forward.
Do you know the developer? Do you have any inside information that leads you to believe this?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Do you know the developer? Do you have any inside information that leads you to believe this?
Well they paid $3 million for the property, and then did a lot of test drilling a few months ago. I'm thinking sooner or later they'll proceed.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
No and no.

It’s more of a gut feel based on comments I hear.

Do you you know the developer and have information to suggest it is moving forward??

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 11:46 PM

Quote:
No and no.

It’s more of a gut feel based on comments I hear.

Do you you know the developer and have information to suggest it is moving forward??
No, I don’t. I’m hoping something gets built there. Such a perfect location for highrise residential.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 2:07 AM
New Brunswick booster!

Please don't bump threads unless there is legitimate news.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 11:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is a meeting of the Moncton Heritage Conservation Board this evening. This item is on the agenda:

Quote:
a) - Consultation - Information regarding potential development near designated heritage properties - (Block of land at Botsford / Victoria and Wesley Streets)
This of course refers to the block of land where St. Bernard Square was to have been built.

There is no reason for the Heritage Review Board to be involved at this point unless the original plans for St. Bernard Square have been tossed out the window. There have been rumours that the developer is planning a replacement in the 20+ storey range. Is the fact that they are making a presentation to the Heritage Review Board an indication they are planning on moving ahead on the new project???

Here is the link to the agenda for tonight's meeting:
https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/HCB...re_du_jour.pdf

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:48 AM

Quote:
There is a meeting of the Moncton Heritage Conservation Board this evening. This item is on the agenda:

This of course refers to the block of land where St. Bernard Square was to have been built.

There is no reason for the Heritage Review Board to be involved at this point unless the original plans for St. Bernard Square have been tossed out the window. There have been rumours that the developer is planning a replacement in the 20+ storey range. Is the fact that they are making a presentation to the Heritage Review Board an indication they are planning on moving ahead on the new project???

Would information from this meeting be public? Would they have shown renderings?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 3:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Would information from this meeting be public? Would they have shown renderings?
The Heritage Conservation Board only ever publishes agendas. They never publish minutes. I presume they don't have to because their role is only ever 100% advisory. So, there will not be anything available online regarding any presentation made at the meeting.

I have no idea if actual renders would have been presented to the committee, or, whether there was just a general discussion regarding height, massing and architectural style. I kinda think at least rudimentary renderings would have been shown, but, we will never know........

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 1:40 PM

Quote:
The Heritage Conservation Board only ever publishes agendas. They never publish minutes. I presume they don't have to because their role is only ever 100% advisory. So, there will not be anything available online regarding any presentation made at the meeting.

I have no idea if actual renders would have been presented to the committee, or, whether there was just a general discussion regarding height, massing and architectural style. I kinda think at least rudimentary renderings would have been shown, but, we will never know........
In SJ I believe the public can request minutes. Not sure about requesting supporting material.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:51 PM

I mean the minutes DO say
Quote:
Consultation - Information regarding potential development near designated heritage
properties - (Block of land at Botsford / Victoria and Wesley Streets)
I would take this as meaning there is something new afoot.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 10:02 PM

A couple of points/questions:

Does the fact that they've appeared before the Heritage Board at this time mean that the plans are different than the original plan put forth by Frederic Properties?

Could we see St. Bernard Square break ground in the spring/summer 2024?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 7:02 PM

Quote:

FYI, they didn't have quorum so the meeting didn't happen.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 7:45 PM

Interesting, I wonder now when it will be rescheduled?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 2:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Interesting, I wonder now when it will be rescheduled?
Next scheduled meeting is December 14th.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 6:39 PM

I have heard from a few sources that this building may be proceeding in the very near future. It sounds as though it will be a winter construction start. Sounds promising - anybody heard anything similar?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 9:07 PM

Quote:
I have heard from a few sources that this building may be proceeding in the very near future. It sounds as though it will be a winter construction start. Sounds promising - anybody heard anything similar?
Did any of those source say if it will remain the same height?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Next scheduled meeting is December 14th.
Did anyone ever hear anything on this?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces