HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 2:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Looks like the 417 has reopened ahead of schedule.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Rideau was jammed up but otherwise traffic wasn't bad last night despite everything going on. A lot different from when the Gardiner is closed in Toronto.
It also didn't help that Beechwood was closed for a Summer Solstice festival.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 2:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Wow, that really is a lot of extra capacity... double what we have now. Nice.
And note all the spans of the new pedestrian bridge in the background

Hurdman bridge:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra..._cameras.shtml

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 2:48 PM

Here, thought you guys would enjoy these:

Yesterday afternoon:

This morning:

All pictures by me.

Click for access to bigger versions on Imgur

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Wow, that really is a lot of extra capacity... double what we have now. Nice.
And note all the spans of the new pedestrian bridge in the background

Hurdman bridge:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra..._cameras.shtml
Are they really going to fill all this out with extra lanes? Because that would be awesome, having what appears to be room for 12 lanes through that segment! I really wish the highway was originally designed to have 12-16 lanes originally though.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 5:43 PM

My guess is that they want swing space, so that way the entire existing bridge span can be closed, and all 3 lanes moved onto the extension piece, to allow for the existing bridge to be rehabilitated. Keep in mind that Hurdman bridge normally has merge lanes on it (it doesn't now with the temporary shortening of them due to construction) so it actually requires 10 lanes of space, so when you add in a nice big shoulder it won't be that crazy.

It's been consistently stated numerous times by the MTO that the 417 can never go beyond 8 lanes due to ROW issues, and other bridges in the immediate area are definitely being designed with a limit of 8. It's one of the reasons why Ottawa now has to look to transit expansion, we're no longer able to widen the highway any more. Thankfully the LRT is coming just in time.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 2:51 AM
National Capital Region

^ yep

After this summer they will switch to working on the middle of the bridge

http://queenswayexpansioneast.com/re...0Sheet%201.pdf

At the end of all this work we will have 10 lanes over the bridge. There will be two lanes entering the highway from Nicholas/Lees going east, the left lane becoming the 4th lane as it enters the highway (and can still exit at Vanier/Riverside), the right lane exiting at Vanier/Riverside

http://queenswayexpansioneast.com/re...0Sheet%201.pdf

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 3:13 PM

I'm somewhat disappointed that the bridge replacement at Lees didn't lead to the realignment of the road, straightening the area out and connecting some of the roads that were broken when the Queensway was built. This would create a nicer neighborhood, better for development and use of the LRT. A straight bridge would have been cheaper to build, and then Robinson Avenue and Lees could meet and Hurdman road could be extended to reestablish a grid in the area. This is a rare opportunity that has now been missed.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTheGreat97 View Post
And I really have no idea why some bridges were designed with no expansion room at all. What were they thinking? Reminds me a bit of the old bridges along the 401 where they barely fit 4 lanes under them.
It was probably built when the highway was only 6 lanes wide. There's now 8 lanes under there. Not to excuse them of this but the engineers back then maybe never envisioned needing room for 10 or 12 lanes under Lees.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
It was probably built when the highway was only 6 lanes wide. There's now 8 lanes under there. Not to excuse them of this but the engineers back then maybe never envisioned needing room for 10 or 12 lanes under Lees.
I also don't think anyone wants 12 lanes of highway through the middle of the central city.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
I'm somewhat disappointed that the bridge replacement at Lees didn't lead to the realignment of the road, straightening the area out and connecting some of the roads that were broken when the Queensway was built. This would create a nicer neighborhood, better for development and use of the LRT. A straight bridge would have been cheaper to build, and then Robinson Avenue and Lees could meet and Hurdman road could be extended to reestablish a grid in the area. This is a rare opportunity that has now been missed.
I was thinking this as well. That big loop on Lees seems like a big waste. By going straight across, it would seem that they could create some parcels of developable land. I'm not sure why they couldn't go straight across.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I also don't think anyone wants 12 lanes of highway through the middle of the central city.
I, and many others especially those on this forum, would want AT LEAST 12 lanes of highway 417 running from the 416 to the 174 in a collector-express design like the 401 through Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
Lees Avenue once connected directly to Chapel Street - take a look at the 1991 aerial photos on geoottawa.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 12:34 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I, and many others especially those on this forum, would want AT LEAST 12 lanes of highway 417 running from the 416 to the 174 in a collector-express design like the 401 through Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 12:59 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy418 View Post
Lees Avenue once connected directly to Chapel Street - take a look at the 1991 aerial photos on geoottawa.
I highly recommend reading the cultural heritage evaluation reports for this phase of the widening... lots of great history, photos, and old plans

http://queenswayexpansioneast.com/pr...presentations/

The old Vanier Parkway interchange is impressive... you could get to the train station right from the highway... just watch out for weaving and occasional dizziness! Best of luck to pedestrians and cyclists trying to cross this thing.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jun 24, 2014 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:11 AM

^ That thing is unbelievably disgusting. So glad it isn't still around today. Also holy crap was that whole area empty back then. Now with the Transitway, the baseball stadium, the apartments around Hurdman... it's much more filled in. I think I finally understand why older people talk about the train station being in the middle of nowhere when it really isn't....

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I highly recommend reading the cultural heritage evaluation reports for this phase of the widening... lots of great history, photos, and old plans
I agree the report is really interesting, but people wonder why infrastructure projects take so long and cost so much, I wonder if the requirement to do such a detailed analysis to upgrade a generic 20th century highway overpass is indicative of a process gone awry. It's not exactly the Applian Way.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
The 401 doesn't run through downtown Toronto.

A design like that is terrible urban planning. Just think of the barrier that a 12-lane highway would create between urban neighbourhoods. Can you name another city that has a 12-lane highway running through downtown? There is a reason for that.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:41 PM

Quote:

A design like that is terrible urban planning. Just think of the barrier that a 12-lane highway would create between urban neighbourhoods. Can you name another city that has a 12-lane highway running through downtown? There is a reason for that.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the excessively car-cult US cities like Dallas had that, but they'd be the ones we shouldn't be emulating.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 3:22 PM

Quote:

Agreed, widening the 417 to 12 lanes through downtown would be disastrous. It would only enable more sprawl. The city should strenuously resist any more widening to the Queensway.
I suppose there are people on the outskirts of Toronto who would like the Gardner expanded to 12 lanes too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation