HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 2:45 PM

Russians arrive, thrive in Contra Costa County:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...ian-community/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
I am all for multiculturalism but this Malthusian neoliberal Social Darwinist mentality does no good and ends up fueling the anti-immigration arguments.
well, when you want to put your kids in religious schools and not teach them STEM subjects because you don't have the critical thinking abilities required to thrive in the modern world because you were brain washed by your evangelical religion and are more focused on cultural wedge issues than the future, well this is the result.

the american economy requires high skilled workers and if america doesn't produce them business leaders will demand that we get them from somewhere else.

the irony of this pushback from the far right on all things: education, culture, etc is that it will likely increase the need for immigration, not lessen it.

these are fascinating times we live in.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 3:12 PM

Quote:
African and Asian newcomers are the new face of migrants in NYC

https://gothamist.com/news/african-a...igrants-in-nyc
This is the same in Philadelphia. Add to that Central Asia (Georgia, Uzbekistan, and Khazakstan in particular).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
well, when you want to put your kids in religious schools and not teach them STEM subjects because you don't have the critical thinking abilities required to thrive in the modern world because you were brain washed by your evangelical religion and are more focused on cultural wedge issues than the future, well this is the result.

the american economy requires high skilled workers and if america doesn't produce them business leaders will demand that we get them from somewhere else.

the irony of this pushback from the far right on all things: education, culture, etc is that it will likely increase the need for immigration, not lessen it.

these are fascinating times we live in.
You can form parallel institutions and still succeed. Mormons and Orthodox Jews are both fairly successful with this. Alternative institutions require skills just as much as centralized institutions. It has become right-coded now. In the past, liberals were for multiculturalism and conservatives wanted mass assimilation.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This is the same in Philadelphia. Add to that Central Asia (Georgia, Uzbekistan, and Khazakstan in particular).

I've heard that LA's SF Valley is attracting Central Asian immigrants, primarily Uzbeks.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 2:23 PM

I don't know much about the Mormon community, but the Orthodox Jewish community is heavily dependent on big govt. largesse. The communities couldn't exist absent massive taxpayer transfers.

Their recent rightward shift is a bit odd, then, but you see the communities generally voting Dem locally (to keep the subsidies going - massive housing, healthcare, food, childcare and schooling subsidies) while voting GOP nationally (Trumpism and social issue warfare is extremely popular).

The per-household taxpayer expenditures in Orthodox areas of Brooklyn are, by far, the highest in the city. Much higher than some stereotypical housing project full of low income blacks and Latinos.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 2:30 PM

Quote:
I've heard that LA's SF Valley is attracting Central Asian immigrants, primarily Uzbeks.
The Uzbek and Georgian communities have to be growing. In NYC, especially in Brooklyn, I see a big increase in Uzbek and Georgian restaurants, storefronts and the like.

Also, Russian/Ukranian/Belorussian food is kinda meh and Uzbek/Georgian food is really good, so you see a lot of culinary shift in former Soviet neighborhoods.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The Uzbek and Georgian communities have to be growing. In NYC, especially in Brooklyn, I see a big increase in Uzbek and Georgian restaurants, storefronts and the like.

Also, Russian/Ukranian/Belorussian food is kinda meh and Uzbek/Georgian food is really good, so you see a lot of culinary shift in former Soviet neighborhoods.
I've only had Georgian food once, but it was excellent. Not surprising - basically everywhere that was either once part of or bordered the Ottoman Empire has good food. Something to do with the tremendous blending of cultures/open trade routes I would guess.

I always wonder why the U.S. has so few Armenian restaurants, given the huge diaspora here.

Last edited by eschaton; Apr 2, 2024 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't know much about the Mormon community, but the Orthodox Jewish community is heavily dependent on big govt. largesse. The communities couldn't exist absent massive taxpayer transfers.

Their recent rightward shift is a bit odd, then, but you see the communities generally voting Dem locally (to keep the subsidies going - massive housing, healthcare, food, childcare and schooling subsidies) while voting GOP nationally (Trumpism and social issue warfare is extremely popular).

The per-household taxpayer expenditures in Orthodox areas of Brooklyn are, by far, the highest in the city. Much higher than some stereotypical housing project full of low income blacks and Latinos.
Mormonism is IMHO more akin to modern Orthodox than the Hasids you are talking about. It has its own weird cultural traditions, but it's 100% part of the American mainstream and is affected by the same sort of cultural trends. For example, Mormon families are shrinking, just like most non-Mormons. It's just that they are dropping from a higher base, so the average Mormon now has three kids, IIRC.

The Amish are the second big parallel culture which has resisted assimilation. Though in terms of the economy, they are polar opposites of the Hasids, as they are 100% in favor of total self-reliance within the community. Their famous anti-technology stance is not borne out of any religious doctrine per se, but an unwillingness to become dependent upon things like the power grid for survival.

Many (though not all) Amish communities are quite cash rich, as they have little need for cash for daily necessities, with most of what they earn going into savings to acquire more land. Which is part of the reason why established Amish communities keep creating "satellite communities" in the Midwest (along with the high birth rates necessitating continued expansion).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 3:10 PM

Quote:
You can form parallel institutions and still succeed. Mormons and Orthodox Jews are both fairly successful with this. Alternative institutions require skills just as much as centralized institutions. It has become right-coded now. In the past, liberals were for multiculturalism and conservatives wanted mass assimilation.
Mormons yes. I also don't consider Mormons "orthodox" from the standpoint of participating in the modern world.

Modern Orthodox Jews: yes. Ultra Orthodox Jews are absolutely incapable of participating in the modern economy. Many of their yeshivas don't even teach science and math.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

I always wonder why the U.S. has so few Armenian restaurants, given the huge diaspora here.
Come to Los Angeles and you'll find lots of Armenian restaurants. Also, I was under the impression that Armenians in the US are very concentrated in just a couple locales, with Los Angeles/Glendale having the biggest population by far. I think New York and Boston also have sizable communities, and probably Detroit too, since they get a ton of immigrants from the ME and Central Asia. Outside of those cities, I don't think Armenians are particularly well represented.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 4:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Outside of those cities, I don't think Armenians are particularly well represented.
Wikipedia says Chicagoland's Armenian community is ~25,000 strong.

That's obviously WAY smaller than LA's Armenian community, but roughly on par with Metro Detroit's (~22,000).

But we still don't have nearly enough Armenian restaurants. There's one downtown, and a few up in the northern burbs (where most Armenian Chicagoans live these days), but that's about it.

I mean, my neighborhood has like a dozen mediocre Thai places, but zero Armenian. why??????

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 2, 2024 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 4:23 PM

Brazil has also a sizeable Armenian community, many personalities amongst them and it's mostly centered in São Paulo. There is even a subway station called Armênia, close to the Armenian Cathedral: https://www.google.com/maps/@-23.528...8192?entry=ttu . Too bad that's today a rundown area of Central São Paulo completely ruined by "semi-freeways".

As Brazil is home of the largest Syrian-Lebanese diaspora in the world and Armenian food apparently shares some similarities, I guess it's completely overshadowed. There are some Armenian places but I've never been in any.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
California is the modern hotbed of Armenian immigration, so there being restaurants there makes more sense. The communities in the Midwest and Northeast have a lot more people whose ancestors fled to the US during the Armenian Genocide vs brand new immigrants.

Here in metro St. Louis, especially in the Metro East where the two Armenian churches are, the Armenian community had a lock on the dry cleaning business 100 years ago up until about the 1980s and 90s. Their descendants are more so white collar professionals now.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 5:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

In 2022, the following 10 countries were Canada’s top immigration sources according to each immigrant’s country of citizenship.
India (118, 095 immigrants) – 27%
China (31,815 immigrants) - 7.2%
Afghanistan (23,735 immigrants) – 5.4%
Nigeria (22,085 immigrants) – 5.05%
Philippines (22,070 immigrants) – 5.04%
France (14,145 immigrants) – 3.2%
Pakistan (11,585 immigrants) – 2.6%
Iran (11,105 immigrants) – 2.5%
United States of America (10,400 immigrants) – 2.3%
Syria (8,500 immigrants) – 1.9%

In 2022, 42.2% of new PRs chose Ontario as their initial destination—a decrease from the nearly 49% who landed throughout the province in the year prior. This may be a function of Canada’s effort to spread the benefits of immigration further across the country, which is being accomplished as the PNP starts becoming more prevalent than Express Entry over time.

In second place was Quebec, which landed 68,685 immigrants in 2022. This figure represents about 15.7% of all new immigrants, up slightly from just over 12% in 2021.

Finally, British Columbia landed 14% of Canada’s immigrants in 2022, down around three percent from last year. The only other region to exceed 10% of all landed immigrants in 2022 was Alberta, as the province landed a total of 49,460 immigrants throughout the year (11.3%).

Province/Territory 2022 PRs % of all PRs % change from 2021
Newfoundland and Labrador 3,490 0.7% +0.2%
Prince Edward Island 2,665 0.6% -
Nova Scotia 12,650 2.8% +0.6%
New Brunswick 10,205 2.3% +1%
Quebec 68,685 15.7% +3.4%
Ontario 184,725 42.2% -6.7%
Manitoba 21,645 4.9% +0.8%
Saskatchewan 21,635 4.9% +2.2%
Alberta 49,460 11.3% +1.4%
British Columbia 61,215 14% -3.1%
Yukon 455 0.1% -
Northwest Territories 235 0.0% -0.1%
Nunavut 45 0.0% -
Province not stated 20 0.0% -0.1%
Canada total 437,120 100% -

https://www.cicnews.com/2023/02/ircc...html#gs.6sfr4h

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Come to Los Angeles and you'll find lots of Armenian restaurants. Also, I was under the impression that Armenians in the US are very concentrated in just a couple locales, with Los Angeles/Glendale having the biggest population by far. I think New York and Boston also have sizable communities, and probably Detroit too, since they get a ton of immigrants from the ME and Central Asia. Outside of those cities, I don't think Armenians are particularly well represented.
Los Angeles, Boston and the Bay Area are the main hubs.

Armenian food is really a mixture since the population was dispersed after the genocide. Armenians from Iran mostly eat Persian food, Armenians from Beirut eat mostly Lebanese food and so on. Its reflected in the type of restaurants Armenians open

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Los Angeles, Boston and the Bay Area are the main hubs.

Armenian food is really a mixture since the population was dispersed after the genocide. Armenians from Iran mostly eat Persian food, Armenians from Beirut eat mostly Lebanese food and so on. Its reflected in the type of restaurants Armenians open
For what it's worth, I seem to remember an Armenian friend here in LA saying that the 'East Coast Glendale' is Great Neck, NY.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 11:29 PM

Great Neck is very Persian Jewish. And Orthodox. More like a Bev Hills then Glendale, but more religious. It's so Orthodox that the town now largely shutters on the Sabbath.

I don't believe it's also Armenian, though could be wrong? Never associate the tri-state area with Armenians, though they must exist somewhere. Some area in Jersey or wherever has to have an Armenian enclave. I've seen various Armenian churches in the tri-state.

I've also never seen an Armenian restaurant, though there seemed to be a decent population growing up in suburban Detroit.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 5:57 AM

There are some communities of Armenians in NJ, smaller ones in NY and DC and the biggest east coast communities are in the Boston suburbs . I have cousins, friends and relatives in all.

On the west coast, you obviously have a massive population in Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena, north Hollywood and Los Angeles in general, orange county, SD, fresno and the SF suburbs

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 7:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Lots of Columbians in the Lehigh Valley (PA). Columbians and folks from Ecuador.

Just something I've noticed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions