HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Chicago is already pretty similar to Paris. The poverty of Paris suburbs is greatly overstated - rather than being a radial model with rich in the center and poor on the outskirts, it's more like the sector model where certain quadrants of the city remain wealthy whether you're in the core or out closer to the fringe. For Paris, the north is the poorest (like Chicago's Southland) while the east is middle-class and the west is wealthiest. And this is a country with one of the biggest commitments to socialized housing in the Western world. Vienna is similar.

wikipedia/Magicboost
(this is just the Petit Couronne - Paris plus inner suburbs - but the pattern holds true even at the larger scale of Ile-de-France (akin to Cook + Collar Counties

You can see the lowest income level even crosses the Peripherique expressway into central Paris, where the 19e arondissement (19th ward) is as poor as the northern suburbs.

So, even if we switch to an urban pattern closer to Paris, I don't think the North Shore is going anywhere as a seat of wealth. It's actually pretty similar to wealthy suburbs outside Paris, walkable, good schools, oriented around train stations with strong town centers. Same goes for portions of western suburbia along UP-W, BNSF lines.

London is actually closer to the inverted donut model with rich in the center (and only the center) but I think that might be a consequence of their strict greenbelt policies. Ironically, from an architectural perspective, wealthy English people have always wanted to distance themselves from commercial activity and live in single-family townhouses, while the French wealthy were totally fine living in a fancy apartment above a shop... but they're the ones who have suburbanized their wealth to a greater extent.
OK great, except it's not really accurate. The area inside of the "Peripherique" is roughly the size of the Loop all the way out to Oak Park:

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/blog...o-other-cities

That same area in Chicago doesn't have "the lowest income crossing into" the central area, it's almost entirely the lowest income including East and West Garfield, North Lawndale, and Austin. The poverty in these areas doesn't even slightly compare to whats going on in Paris, it's like a warzone compared to the tiny infringement of poverty on Paris' core.

Furthermore, a city like Paris is on an entirely different scale than Chicago. The North Shore of Chicago wouldn't even be an inner ring suburb of Paris. Places like Lakeview and further north would lie beyond Siene St Denis, again not even comparable. If you are going to compare Chicago to Paris then you need to scale down distances in Chicago to account for the fact that Paris is crammed into 40 Sq Mi and Chicago is 235. If you do that even slightly then pretty much everything South and West of the Seine in Paris would have to be abject poverty as everything South of I-55 excluding Bridgeport is in Chicago.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 8:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
If you do that even slightly then pretty much everything South and West of the Seine in Paris would have to be abject poverty as everything South of I-55 excluding Bridgeport is in Chicago.
Someone should notify the people of Kenwood, Hyde Park, Beverly, Mt Greenwood, Morgan Park, Garfield Ridge, Clearing, etc.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Someone should notify the people of Kenwood, Hyde Park, Beverly, Mt Greenwood, Morgan Park, Garfield Ridge, Clearing, etc.
Yeah yeah yeah, and Beverly/Mt Greenwood isn't actually a part of the city by the remotest European standard. There's a freaking Coopers Hawk winery across the road from Mt. Greenwood for cripes stake...

And yes, I'm generalizing, but a few pockets of wealth does not distract from the rule that nearly everything in that quadrant of the city is in dire straits...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 3:55 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
That same area in Chicago doesn't have "the lowest income crossing into" the central area, it's almost entirely the lowest income including East and West Garfield, North Lawndale, and Austin. The poverty in these areas doesn't even slightly compare to whats going on in Paris, it's like a warzone compared to the tiny infringement of poverty on Paris' core.
It's not perfect rings, though... that's my point. We will probably never see a future when all 235 square miles of Chicago are gentrified and all the suburbs are like a Mad Max zone. There will always be a less-favored quadrant of Chicago, just like there is in Paris, where poverty persists... and there will always be portions of the suburbs that stay wealthy.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
What a nightmare.

"The Chicago Public Schools have 150,000 more seats than students."

Hah.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
What a nightmare.

"The Chicago Public Schools have 150,000 more seats than students."

Hah.
Prekwinkle needs to lose. No school closings for 4 years? We need to close about 100 right now.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 3:18 AM

A city income tax? Jesus.

Last edited by tjp; Dec 6, 2018 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:25 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

The idea of a "Lasalle Street tax" terrifies me. Few things would make me leave Chicago, but that might necessitate me leaving. Few things could put the entire state at risk, but that's one of them. Few things could so quickly and directly destroy one of the city's most important industries, but that's one.

I can't even understand how anyone is still even talking about that tax. It would cause massive departure of the trading industry players and, as they leave, the tax would stop collecting revenue. So not only would you kill one of your golden geese, you wouldn't even get anything in return!
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The idea of a "Lasalle Street tax" terrifies me. Few things would make me leave Chicago, but that might necessitate me leaving. Few things could put the entire state at risk, but that's one of them. Few things could so quickly and directly destroy one of the city's most important industries, but that's one.

I can't even understand how anyone is still even talking about that tax. It would cause massive departure of the trading industry players and, as they leave, the tax would stop collecting revenue. So not only would you kill one of your golden geese, you wouldn't even get anything in return!
I think the state would need to approve such a tax, though, and Pritzker has said he’s against in the past.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 3:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Prekwinkle needs to lose. No school closings for 4 years? We need to close about 100 right now.
This seems like an over-reaction in the opposite direction. The move in Englewood to close 4 under-performing and under-enrolled high schools in order to build a new state-of-the-art STEM high school seems like a more reasonable path. It lowers the long-term costs of maintenance and administration, but also shows the city is investing in these communities.

Charter schools have not saved education in these neighborhoods and simply closing the remaining public schools probably won't solve the problem either.

The Englewood high school has gotten a good response so far:

Quote:
So far, 157 students applied and ranked the high school as their top choice for the 2019-2020 school year. Applications to attend a CPS high school for the 2019-2020 school year are available until Dec. 14 on the GoCPS website.

Of those 157 students, about 80 percent of the students who applied or registered to attend the school are from the surrounding community, the principal said. It’s a “game changer” that students from outside the Englewood community would apply and consider attending the school, he said.

Another 200 students applied and ranked the new Englewood STEM school in their top three choices. A total of 530 students have applied and ranked the Englewood high school in their choices, Timbers-Asur said.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
This seems like an over-reaction in the opposite direction. The move in Englewood to close 4 under-performing and under-enrolled high schools in order to build a new state-of-the-art STEM high school seems like a more reasonable path. It lowers the long-term costs of maintenance and administration, but also shows the city is investing in these communities.

Charter schools have not saved education in these neighborhoods and simply closing the remaining public schools probably won't solve the problem either.

The Englewood high school has gotten a good response so far:
CPS has lost over 30,000 students in the last 3 years. That's on top of a decade of student population loss. It's not an overreaction, it's the truth. Building 1 new high school to replace 4 is not a bad idea assuming the 4 are closed.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 8:24 PM
The City

Everybody is scared to talk about being tough on crime because you can’t do so without treading very close to territory where you get labeled as racist, or racially profiling.

The race baiters in our society and their elected representatives (who often behave as if they are in office for only one purpose) have made it nearly impossible to stop violent crime. Ethics and personal responsibility are banned from the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 8:30 PM

I like the idea of a city witness protection program. They should also give rewards to people that are willing to talk to the cops to help solve murders. Give witnesses some financial incentive to help out the police. The no snitch code is a big problem. And this would help prevent murders if the shooters were more likely to get caught, they might think twice about shooting. Since now you can pretty much get away with murder in Chicago.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 9:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The race baiters in our society and their elected representatives (who often behave as if they are in office for only one purpose) have made it nearly impossible to stop violent crime. Ethics and personal responsibility are banned from the discussion.
This is such a tired line of reasoning. People calling out racism isn't the problem, it's a distraction from the actual discussion that you claim to seek. If you want to focus on problems and solutions, then target those things. Complaining about what other people are complaining about is a good way to make zero progress.

Obama created a program to promote personal responsibility (My Brother's Keeper), Rahm has promoted it hard as Mayor. These are concrete things being done to improve ethics and personal responsibility among at-risk youth. If those lamenting how things are "banned from the discussion" would instead focus on supporting existing efforts, we could make actual progress.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 6:00 PM

https://www.dailywire.com/news/39218...eep-ashe-schow
THE CHICAGO WAY: Thousands Of Residents Commit Fraud To Keep College Student Off Ballot

Quote:
Krupa drives a forklift and is studying political science and economics. He needed 473 valid signatures from residents of the 13th ward in order to run for alderman. He got 1,703. In a strange — and corrupt — turn of events, before Krupa could file his signatures, 2,796 ward residents signed affidavits revoking their signatures to Krupa’s petition.

Just 187 of the signatures on Krupa’s original petition matched with those of the revocations, meaning 2,609 people committed fraud by signing an official legal document saying they had signed the original petition but hadn’t.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 6:22 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Everybody is scared to talk about being tough on crime because you can’t do so without treading very close to territory where you get labeled as racist, or racially profiling.

Quote:
This is such a tired line of reasoning. People calling out racism isn't the problem, it's a distraction from the actual discussion that you claim to seek. If you want to focus on problems and solutions, then target those things. Complaining about what other people are complaining about is a good way to make zero progress.

Obama created a program to promote personal responsibility (My Brother's Keeper), Rahm has promoted it hard as Mayor. These are concrete things being done to improve ethics and personal responsibility among at-risk youth. If those lamenting how things are "banned from the discussion" would instead focus on supporting existing efforts, we could make actual progress.
I agree more with moorhosj.

Where people get in trouble when talking about race and crime is when they jump from the specifics of an individual case into population-level generalities way too quickly, or if they start assigning population-level trends to race in a causal fashion, even if there seems to be strong causal links.

A racist is someone who believes that there are significant differences between "races" in humans that cause population-level differences in behavior that are inherent to the genetics of that population. Which means that no matter how strongly statistics seem to point out a relationship between behavior and race, stopping at that point and assigning that relationship as causal is inherently racist, by definition. Avoiding racist thoughts is pushing beyond that to uncover as much as possible about other linkages either because you believe that assigning the differences to physical race is lazy, or because you believe that finding other components in the line of causality helps society function better by allowing self-determinism to continue as the dominant ethos.

The most peculiar thing about American race relations is when racists call for greater personal responsibility while declaring that race determines behavior instead of there being individual agency, and when people who declare themselves as anti-racists declare that race isn't deterministic while pointing out all the ways in which personal agency is subverted in our society. It's just an odd juxtaposition between ideas.

Ultimately, for society to function, two things are required: 1) People need to want to behave deterministically, and 2) behaving deterministically has to be mostly effective at what might be called "rewards sorting." Nothing is 100% effective in human society, but if you work hard, it needs to usually have better results than not working hard. If you take steps society promotes, those need to mostly result in better outcomes that people who don't take those steps experience. Etc, etc. So racism destroys those when it limits success by individuals for reasons unrelated to their actions. If society says, "Work hard and you can move to a safer/nicer/more convenient neighborhood," but then even if you work hard and even if that hard work actual results in better financial outcomes but you can't move to the neighborhood of your choice, the social contract is broken. If the law says to you, if you follow the rules and don't hurt other people, even if you break some minor rules you'll still be able to function in society but then get thrown in prison for five years because you had a couple ounces of a plant on you, a plant that has never caused an overdose and, at worst, maybe makes users a little lazier during use, the social contract is broken.

So, this has gotten way too long, but I strongly encourage anyone looking at racial demographics in relation to crime or other population outcome statistics to avoid making the jump between association and causality no matter how strong the relationship seems to be in your opinion. It not only will get you called a racist, but it, ultimately, is too often a convenient excuse to avoid addressing real, underlying issues.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:04 PM

Latino population (44%) officially surpassed by white population (46%) in Logan Square in 2017.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/12...-logan-square/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
Latino population (44%) officially surpassed by white population (46%) in Logan Square in 2017.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/12...-logan-square/
The real news is Chicago Lawn becoming majority Latino confirming the Southern drift off the SW side Latino community into formerly African American areas. If only we had strong immigration flows still that trend would probably even more pronounced. It would be wonderful if someone was moving into these empty quarters of the city being left behind by the "black flight" trend.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:03 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I agree more with moorhosj.
Ok, am I supposed to be surprised--did you start with that statement to appear that you are somehow objective, but ultimately more swayed by one argument than the other?

I stand behind my point. I just believe that shitty values--particularly American values when applied to a lower income setting--more than poverty and opportunity play a bigger role. You obviously think the opposite, and have even gone so far as to tell me that poverty in impoverished Chicago neighborhoods is my fault.

I've been on this forum long enough--it's a heavily liberal site and I know I'm not going to get anywhere with the local crowd. But don't count me as convinced

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I stand firmly behind my point. I just believe that shitty values more than poverty and opportunity play a bigger role. You obviously think the opposite, and have even gone so far as to tell me that poverty in impoverished Chicago neighborhoods is [I]my fault[/t].

I've been on this forum long enough--it's a heavily liberal site and I know I'm not going to get anywhere with our little echo chamber here. So lets leave it at that
Do you not see how this comes off as the exact same "victimization" stuff you accuse others of resorting to? Pick a lane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest