HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
It looks like the traffic situation can change in a matter of 10-15 minutes. You can get through the intersection quickly, and 15 minutes later you'd have to wait a couple of cycles. The traffic is obviously heavier, but overall it hasn't been the nightmare some thought it would be.

No different than Mountain Road then. The bottleneck on Mountain is at the Wheeler Blvd interchange. If you get there at 7:40 AM driving inbound, there is no problem. If however you get there at 7:50 instead, there can be gridlock. This is gone by 8:10.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
No different than Mountain Road then. The bottleneck on Mountain is at the Wheeler Blvd interchange. If you get there at 7:40 AM driving inbound, there is no problem. If however you get there at 7:50 instead, there can be gridlock. This is gone by 8:10.
Yes exactly. Even before the causeway closure it was a similar situation in Riverview. But if the worst case scenario is an extra few minutes wait, it doesn't look like the causeway closure is going to be all that bad. People will adjust their driving habits accordingly.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 10:47 AM

I worked at 7am this morning and traffic appeared to be no busier than usual coming down Coverdale. My coworker also came down Gunningsville and he said the same thing. There must not be enough people working at 7am in Moncton to increase the traffic severely.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:37 PM

Drove from Moncton to Riverview yesterday at about 4:00 and there was no delay at all.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I worked at 7am this morning and traffic appeared to be no busier than usual coming down Coverdale. My coworker also came down Gunningsville and he said the same thing. There must not be enough people working at 7am in Moncton to increase the traffic severely.
I left at 8 today and traffic was almost LIGHTER than some other days than I've driven to work at that time. Were people out for joyrides yesterday morning to see the commotion of it all ?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:09 PM

If it's anything like some of the closures Freddy had over the past few years (like when Freddy mostly closed Westmoreland Bridge for work), there will probably be a week of increased traffic snarlage as people sort out the new timings, and then people will adjust and it won't be all that bad in the end.

Short of Halifax, I don't think anywhere in the maritimes reaches traffic levels (even during construction seasons) to require things like the reversing traffic lanes people have advocated for. (That's something people said would be needed in Freddy during the bridge work; but it wasn't needed in the end)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are a few drone pics from the CBC showing the traffic yesterday.

And here's a pic of the old causeway on the first day of it's decommissioning. Next stage will be removal of the temporary roadway, followed by removal of the old river gates, and then finally, creation of the approaches to the new bridge structure.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And here's a pic of the old causeway on the first day of it's decommissioning. Next stage will be removal of the temporary roadway, followed by removal of the old river gates, and then finally, creation of the approaches to the new bridge structure.

I saw that picture and it got me wondering about what would be happening around the old gates... I assume the old bridge-over-gates will remain (but not the gates themselves)? So there will be a sort of "island" between the bridges? Or is the whole south side being demolished and filled? Seems like the former would allow for much better flow.

Edit: Projections I've seen are that it will be replaced and the whole corner filled in. My quick scribble:

Last edited by Nashe; Apr 7, 2021 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't know for sure, but I think the plan is to completely remove and fill in the old gate structure. They do after all have to build an approach ramp up to the level of the new bridge, so I don't think there is any way the old river passage can be saved.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 4:40 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

The lack of detail provided for this project has been frustrating, especially given that it's been in the works for years. The DOT website for the project doesn't have a single map showing the finished routing of the ramps, river alignment etc. The best they have is a terrible 'rendering' that's barely a step up from clip art.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
The lack of detail provided for this project has been frustrating, especially given that it's been in the works for years. The DOT website for the project doesn't have a single map showing the finished routing of the ramps, river alignment etc. The best they have is a terrible 'rendering' that's barely a step up from clip art.
Yeah it’s been pretty pathetic, all of the renders I’ve seen have been complete horrible. They will be removing the old bridge and gates, and filling that area in. The giant mountain of rocks next to Coverdale Road has been placed there to fill in the old river channel without having to constantly cross the old bridge.

I also believe the Town of Riverview would like to see the Coverdale road overpass removed but it remains to be seen if that will happen during this project.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 6:49 PM

i must say bravo to the guys that built the detour, during the entire time of construction not 1 pothole...road builders take note

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 6:54 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Lack of open data and the DOT, name a more iconic duo.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:25 PM

Have they ever said why they're moving the water flow to the north so that it goes under the new bridge? What is their logic behind that?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Have they ever said why they're moving the water flow to the north so that it goes under the new bridge? What is their logic behind that?
i think it is closer to the original flow of the river , not as wide mind you

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:13 PM

Quote:
The original dam gates were built on the land, and the river was as moved into the cut they had built. When they fill the current river channel back in, they will be reclaiming the land that had previously been land before the building of the causeway. I hope I explained this properly lol.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
The original dam gates were built on the land, and the river was as moved into the cut they had built. When they fill the current river channel back in, they will be reclaiming the land that had previously been land before the building of the causeway. I hope I explained this properly lol.
I remember years ago that they had to keep dumping rock along the shore just west of the gates to prevent erosion. I was thinking that by filling that back in, they would be preventing any possible erosion in that area. There's a parking lot there that's pretty close.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:53 PM

The biggest traffic problem I've noticed on the Riverview side is the vehicles travelling east and turning left onto the bridge. Those two lanes get the flashing green arrow, and just when the traffic gets moving it goes yellow. There's cars backed up as far as you can see. I wonder if anybody is monitoring this. It seems obvious that it would be a lot more efficient if they extended the time a bit to let more vehicles through on each cycle. Just my humble opinion.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:08 PM

It would be nice to have another web cam in Riverview. One that shows the new bridge construction site. It would be interesting to watch them removing the gates and then infilling that area so the river flows under the bridge span.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:
It would be nice to have another web cam in Riverview. One that shows the new bridge construction site. It would be interesting to watch them removing the gates and then infilling that area so the river flows under the bridge span.
1 setup by the apartment building would be nice to be able to see the progress they are making

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces