HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
From LA Reddit:
What an amazing shot!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:12 PM

That shot (from PV?) across South Redondo Beach to DTLA is incredible. I don't understand how cameras compress distances like that... but it certainly is impressive!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 5:43 AM

Another, almost identical, pic from LA Reddit; can you spot the differences?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 7:47 PM

^ only thing I can figure out is the first shot was taken a bit further north along redondo bch. One of the few apt bldgs that's a bit above 6 stories is around the 900 block of esplande. Unlike the coastlines of various cities in the US & world, zoning rights in LA county don't allow highrises near the beach. Even some secondary cities in Brazil, which aren't well known, have fairly tall towers by their shore. So a row of highrises in large urban areas on a coast & that look out over an ocean is more common than Socal's coast is.

as for the grittiness of broadway, although some additional sketchiness had to be added for a movie, bldgs like the Roxy are regrettably as much of a dystopia as a filmmaker may want them to be...

Video Link

as for the site where the Colburn school concert hall proj is proposed...& has been downgraded by LA city engineers....this drone shot is a good example of why such gaps in dtla have long needed to be filled in. The parking lot along 1st St between Olive & Hill St has been sitting there since the 1950s, over 60 yrs ago. As for the Grand Ave proj, I wonder if Frank gehry & his team tried to have more than huge blank walls facing eastward?

https://youtu.be/mOsitMdjaXM?t=43

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:08 PM

One way to deal with gaps in dtla, such as this one...

google.com

Is for tax policy to be changed into something like this....

https://youtu.be/gJqCaklMv6M?t=232

When property owners have an easier time sitting on a parking lot or things like rundown vacant food stands, it's less surprising that deadzones are way too common in areas like dtla.

I thought the Beacon apt tower proj was a sure thing & it would be well underway by today. But no such luck. Equity Residential even had a permit about 3 yrs ago to tear down the small food stand near 4th & Hill Sts....which dates back over 70 yrs....but they didn't even do that.

urbanize.la

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
One way to deal with gaps...
You are, quite literally, obsessed with Equity Residential & their undemolished little taco stand at 4th & Hill.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:24 PM

^ maybe because I keep hoping that instead of quips that aren't informative, someone might visit this forum one day who knows what's going on with equity's proj & why they apparently cancelled it.

Even the facebook dtla devlpt page never has a post about what's going on at 4th & Hill St, but someone did recently add a pic there of the onni apt proj at Olympic & Hill St.

Mark Fugina

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:57 PM
DENNAB

I see some core

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 7:09 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Awesome photo! Wish to see a close up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post

Mark Fugina

Go Dodgers! | Go Lakers! | Go Rams! | Go Kings!

[♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥]

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 12:51 AM

Video Link

dtla has been down this road before....then some & even worse....

Video Link

Not sure if I should have more confidence in the person running san diego's city hall compared with the one now in charge of LA's city govnt....

https://youtu.be/fD35IYkCknw

however, some of dtla's weaknesses go back over 90 yrs & can laid at the feet of thousands of property owner, devlprs, a variety of mayors & different city councils. Some of it is due to too many ppl going, 'who cares, what difference does it make?, don't bother, a waste of time, this is why we can't have nice things....drain the moat & turn off the fountains, you quite literally are obsessed with the proj....'

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 1:57 AM

I stopped at California Plaza today for lunch and was pleasantly surprised with how busy it was. Amazing to see so many people in the plaza just having lunch, hanging out, tourists taking in the view. Maybe not every street in DTLA is back to pre-pandemic levels, but seeing hubs like this busy makes me confident for the future.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm1995 View Post
I stopped at California Plaza today for lunch and was pleasantly surprised with how busy it was. Amazing to see so many people in the plaza just having lunch, hanging out, tourists taking in the view. Maybe not every street in DTLA is back to pre-pandemic levels, but seeing hubs like this busy makes me confident for the future.
This is very true!!! Only between 5th and Wilshire on Fig and Flower, are the only areas in DTLA that are not as busy as pre-pandemic…but everywhere else, I would say is either just as busy or busier.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 5:51 PM

This youtuber's recent walking tour of not dt but an area several miles to the west...the sunset strip....& his take on the city in general was interesting. I realize it's anecdotal too, but word of mouth does affect ppl far & wide. Last yr, when I saw just a few clips of Paris hit by a large number of squatters from northern africa on that city's sidewalks, full of trash & desperation, it really turned me off. I figure if probably one of the most admired cities in the world can be hurt by bad publicity, LA ain't got a prayer.

As for some ppl complaining about the design or architecture of new devlpt in LA, I'm never sure why at the same time they avoid slamming a city agency like the DWP.

https://youtu.be/rmd9APprHAs?t=464

meanwhile, this vid shows a brief glimpse of the onni proj site at Hill & Olympic. TG that new devlpt is under way. But it makes me think of all the yrs I've gone through such sections of dtla & wondered, uh, er....is this really acceptable for a city? Again, if a Paris can look bad based on just a few vids, comments or problems, cities like LA are on even shakier ground.

https://youtu.be/ju6756wn-bc?t=4019

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 1:14 AM

I'd be curious to know what international tourism was like in 2022. LA was hit hard by the shutdown in international tourism, and as far as I know in 2021 it was 10 million shy of the 2019 numbers. I think that really hurts areas like Venice but has affects all over of course.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:42 PM

I haven't gone through most of this vid, but I did see certain locations, such as the apt proj on 1st St east of little tokyo, that have been recently built on or are now being developed. I notice that various ppl who complain about the design of new devlpt in LA often avoid questioning what the city's DWP is all about. However, I still recall the forumer with the handle of 'Los Angeles beauty', & who posted here several yrs ago, saying he didn't mind power poles. To each his own.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
I'd be curious to know what international tourism was like in 2022. LA was hit hard by the shutdown in international tourism, and as far as I know in 2021 it was 10 million shy of the 2019 numbers. I think that really hurts areas like Venice but has affects all over of course.
La's hotel occupancy rate is doing well compared to most cities. 2021 numbers?
That was still covid. Every city was affected by that.

I work in downtown Santa monica, and tourists are already coming during the week. Last year they didn't show up until April or may. Santa Monica is kinda dead in Jan or Februrary during the week.

https://tophotel.news/las-tourism-co...otel-pipeline/

LA is expected to get back to 2019 tourist numbers in 2023. Citywatch keeps looking for wierd comments made by the same small group of people. That's not real life.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/c...y-america-2022

LA did well in 2022, getting close to 2019 numbers. I work for a commercial real estate company, and i've seen the hotel occupancy rates in 2022.

Last edited by LA21st; Mar 9, 2023 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Citywatch keeps looking for wierd comments made by the same small group of people.
As for your post, it's what I'm always looking for here....specific info that goes beyond just a short quip or opinion. The links about the travel & hotel business in LA do give a fuller picture of what may be really happening.

I described this youtuber doing recent walking vids of LA as giving an admittedly anecdotal account of what he senses is happening to the city. I know that compared to the walking vids of, for example, London posted over the past several months, LA still seems to give off the tone of being in a post pandemic lull.

https://www.youtube.com/@wsgw2

However, busy sidewalks can make even a compton or sylmar seem more popular & successful than they really may be. But trends that discourage ppl from wanting to get out & about are not good either. The following news about transit in LA makes me wonder what kind of ppl are running things, from city hall to the MTA. I know that the folks managing the DWP don't mind their headqtrs office bldg, which dates back to the 1960s at 1st & Hope St, being in sort of an indefinite lull.

https://www.dailynews.com/2023/03/01/los-angeles-metro-is-a-crime-infested-train-wreck/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
La's hotel occupancy rate is doing well compared to most cities. 2021 numbers?
That was still covid. Every city was affected by that.

I work in downtown Santa monica, and tourists are already coming during the week. Last year they didn't show up until April or may. Santa Monica is kinda dead in Jan or Februrary during the week.

https://tophotel.news/las-tourism-co...otel-pipeline/

LA is expected to get back to 2019 tourist numbers in 2023. Citywatch keeps looking for wierd comments made by the same small group of people. That's not real life.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/c...y-america-2022

LA did well in 2022, getting close to 2019 numbers. I work for a commercial real estate company, and i've seen the hotel occupancy rates in 2022.

I’ve a really good friend that works for a major developer…despite what some want to believe. Developers have major interest in LA, and DTLA. Onni is building the tallest residential highrise in LA. That wouldn’t happen in the interest and the market wasn’t in there. Some of the people finding something to criticize only show how their personal lives must be at home.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 1:50 AM

The crown at 8th and Fig has been installed. Can’t wait to see this bad boy light up at night.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
The crown at 8th and Fig has been installed. Can’t wait to see this bad boy light up at night.
Yes...seemed like it took forever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations