HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:23 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I know citywatch likes to harp on downtown's struggles but many cities are worse. It's not a LA problem.
If 'harp' can be used in focusing on good things, when it comes to dtla, I also like doing that too. For example, I'm anxious to see the regional connector line completed. I thought this station, the one on bunker Hill & the other one near the former LA Times bldg were going to be completed by now & fully operational. But covid & supply chain issues have slowed everything down.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:43 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
I didn't know that Disney Hall opened on my birthday.
Scorpio 2003 & scorpio of whatever yr you're from. The article on Disney hall's 20th birthday mentioned the oscars, which made me look at the way dtla appeared during the broadcast of that event. Now I go back to 1973, when the office tower...then the security bank bldg....set at an angle of the blocks in dt was still being built. So dtla in a time warp from 2003, 1974 & then one yr before then. However, the dwp's geyser fountains at least were operating, although the water pumps weren't running on full blast.

https://youtu.be/zY6y-NFiSec

The dwp's fountain was featured in 1971....Albert Martin's bldg was a symbolically important addition to dt starting around the early 1960s. So today's dry moat & often switched off geysers (which was done before the drought) is symbolic of ppl at LA city hall going, 'why bother? who cares? No big deal. Besides, if ppl want better things, they should move to another city'. Certain LA govt officials are into the mantra of, 'this is why we can't have nice things' & give up on the city.

https://youtu.be/zm4NalNc-vw?t=16

The Arthur J Will fountain to the west was featured in 1969. Then when Gregory peck does a walking routine, LA city hall can be seen in the background. It wasn't as well lit up then as it has been for the past several yrs. So that's one of the touches of dt that's better today than yrs ago. however, I notice that more elaborate floodlighting of bldgs & landmarks throughout many cities of the US & world has become more common over the past 30 yrs.

https://youtu.be/rcmNN3BJdTM?t=20

Last edited by citywatch; Mar 1, 2023 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Especially once you get to Main/Los Angeles St. With that being said...if the Skid Row was to ever get fully cleaned...DTLA to the Arts District would easily rival some of best cities internationally. My opinion of course.
I do think about that. Some of those skid row buidings have nice urbanism/ground floor retail. You could keep those and bulldoze shitty ones, add in modern housing/towers on the vacant lots and the neighborhood would boom with new restaurants/bars like the historic core......all the way to the arts district. Mixed in with Little Tokyo and a more modern Chinatown....

You aren't wrong at all.

And if they get rid all of all that useless warehouse shit in the south east area.....yeah. It's inevitable, but the sooner the better. At some point, Westlake is going to gentrify as well, so you're looking at a big time area from like Vermont Ave -to the LA river.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, a study by the University of Toronto and the University of California, Berkeley, shows downtown Los Angeles is back to 65% of the activity it had in fall of 2019. That's good enough to rank #27 out of 62 North American downtowns for recovery.

For reference, downtown San Diego is at 99%, downtown Sacramento is at 75%, downtown San Jose is at 68%, downtown Oakland is at 49%, and downtown San Francisco--ranking last in all of North America--has only 31% of the activity it had in fall of 2019. Out of state downtowns are all over the place: New York is at 74%, Houston is at 61%, Toronto is at 53%, Chicago is at 50%, and Seattle is at 44% (full list at the link above).

So downtown LA has a way to go to recover from the pandemic and work-from-home, but not as far as many other peer cities.
I'll quote my own post here from last month to return some objectivity to the thread regarding post-pandemic downtown revival.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 5:35 PM
SUSPENDED

Jamison Realty has been a major player in adding new housing to mid wilshire & is working on a property in dtla on Fig at 4th St, the world trade ctr bldg from the 1970s....so when they talk, I listen.

Quote:
Cityview, Jamison Realty CEOs See Bumps Ahead For DTLA Multifamily

bisnow/Blanca Barragan
Cityview CEO Sean Burton and Jamison Realty CEO Jaime Lee

Multifamily in particular has enjoyed a strong run in the years following the pandemic's arrival, but the tide could be turning in Downtown LA, according to panelists at Bisnow's Los Angeles Multifamily event.

"With the change in interest rates and the change in cap rates, there’s a complete freeze of the debt markets and, really, a destruction of value" unlike anything he has seen in his career, Sean Burton told the audience at the Westin Bonaventure in Downtown LA, which hosted the event.

That said, the fundamentals of the multifamily business are still very strong, he said. There is still job growth and there is growth in renter demographics.

“We’re still positive, but it’s been a really interesting and bizarre six months,” Burton said.

Downtown might be a different story. With office vacancy near 30% and worsening perceptions of the neighborhood’s crime and homelessness issues, Burton said that DTLA was “the worst I’ve ever seen it since I’ve lived here.”

Burton was onstage with Jamison Realty CEO Jaime Lee, whose company has invested in Downtown in the past and is working on securing entitlements for a massive new development. Lee expressed similar concerns for the trajectory of Downtown.

Jamison Services. the umbrella under which Jamison Realty exists, is redeveloping part of the Los Angeles World Trade Center into a 41-story multifamily tower that is going through entitlements, Lee said.

“It’s tough,” Lee said. “When you see that cap rate expansion and interest rates are going high, the premise on many of these investments comes under question. … I think people are really starting to look under the hood on the model.”

The effects of shifting attitudes toward the office are playing out everywhere, not just in Downtown, and affecting the way many multifamily developers assess their next investments. Burton said the future of office is something that plays heavily into his firm’s calculations for new projects.

In the markets where Cityview builds, Burton said he doesn’t think five days a week in the office is ever coming back, but two or three days in the office is already here for a lot of people.

“What's interesting is, if you do go to work three days a week, you can't live 500 miles away and do that,” Burton said.

Although the repurposing of old office buildings in Downtown through the adaptive reuse ordinance is largely credited with fueling the renewed interest of young professionals and investors in the neighborhood in the early 2000s, panelists threw cold water on the idea that conversions to multifamily were going to be a savior for the office market this time.

Hurdles include not only the cost of acquiring the buildings themselves but also the complicated and expensive nature of rejiggering the building to serve an entirely different user, panelists said.

^ if I had confidence in LA city hall, that would help. But ppl like the current mayor & most council members, much less folks in various city agencies, don't strike me as doers or the types who really care about the city, not just their paychecks. However, dtla has had ups & downs for over 90 yrs, regardless of city politics & the economy of Socal & the US. But if city leaders at least treated dt...LA in general....as a place to improve & protect instead of just tolerate, that would be a step in the right direction.

as for Fig from around the 10 fwy northward, the corridor is better than it was when it was mainly small brick masonry bldgs & parking lots. But an apt proj south of 12st St has been under construction for what seems like 10 yrs. Not sure what the devlprs are all about & why their completion date never arrives....

https://youtu.be/4cybNDzmArQ?t=55

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 9:20 PM
SUSPENDED

I've mentioned the political angle of LA...dtla....& of how city govnt can either help or hurt a community. This used to be the 2nd largest city in America, with LA being the 3rd. Now it's the 3rd, but apparently for the first time in 40 yrs of its history, this has happened...

https://youtu.be/8uxo7siPK4w

dtla has been both up & down for over 90 yrs, throughout all types of mayors & different kinds of LA city govt. But all things being equal, city govnt shouldn't make a bad situation even worse. The voters in the windy city must realize that. I don't know if enough residents in LA, inc in dtla, are quite as alert or cautious.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 10:11 PM
SUSPENDED

Speaking of retail as a tourist spot, & in LA it being in Bev Hills...rodeo drive...not dtla, that reminds me of how a faster, easier connection between dt & the west side has long been needed. Not just for tourists, day trippers, workers, but for students too. I recall when the ones at USC were seen as getting the short end of the stick since students at UCLA had the nicer west side to take advantage of. But the imbalance between areas west of Fairfax & the areas east of Fairfax, including dtla, has changed over the past 20 yrs.

Quote:
UCLA is situated in a city notorious for its terrible public transportation system. With Los Angeles being a very sprawling city, its bad traffic and lack of an elaborate subway system are some of the biggest reasons for its unimpressive public transportation, but that is in the process of changing.

The D Line of the Los Angeles Metro, one of Los Angeles’s few subway systems, is in the process of a major extension. Construction of the Metro’s Purple (D Line) Extension Transit Project began in 2014 and is approaching completion. Currently, the D Line spans 6.4 miles and connects downtown Los Angeles (DTLA) with Koreatown. The extension, though, will further connect DTLA with Los Angeles’s west side and UCLA.

Section 1, which is currently 70 percent complete, includes the Wilshire/La Brea Station, Wilshire/Fairfax Station, and Wilshire/La Cienega Station, and will be fully operational in 2024. Section 2, which is 45 percent complete, includes the Wilshire/Rodeo Station and Century City/Constellation Station, which plans to open in 2025. Section 3, which is 20 percent complete, includes the Westwood/UCLA Station and Westwood/VA Hospital Station and has an estimated debut of 2027.

Moses X. Ball, Iris Yirei Hu, Gala Porras-Kim, Yunhee Min and Karen Hampton have been selected as artists who will be commissioned to create integrative artwork for the Westwood/UCLA Station of the Metro D Line.

The extension of the D Line will make it much more convenient for UCLA students to get around Los Angeles. From students commuting to and from class to students who just want to further explore the city, the D Line will make whatever transportation that is needed a more timely and pleasant experience. This improved public transportation will also improve the education and employment opportunities of UCLA students. Easy access to other parts of the city means that UCLA students will be able to more easily broaden their horizons by interning, volunteering, or working at businesses not exclusively in the Westwood area.
Shopping as spectacle is fairly common in most of the major cities of the world, but dtla as a neighbor of what may be the most singular of such areas, compared with streets like madison Ave or 5th in NYC or certain streets in Paris not being exactly like Rodeo, is important to deal with. So a better connection between it & dtla is long overdue....although I know some businesses in Bev Hills have been concerned about a fixed rail transit system from dtla making it easier for troublemakers to enter their little cocoon ....

https://youtu.be/Fr_FBUqEfbU

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 11:17 PM

Just going to shift into talking about the snow in the mountains today lol and the snow at Disneyland that occurred an hour ago. I think today would be a great pic of the skyline with the snowy mountains as a backdrop.

I've learned that people will always have something to say about LA regardless if its doing good or bad Haha. My best friend moved here from Indiana, he's been here 7 years and routinely used to boast about (enter any European or east coast city here plus chitown) "LA could NEVER" type attitude. Well, he tagged along for my trip this winter since i hate flying solo. The entire time in some of those cities he boasted about, i had a response from him of "well that's not how I remembered it" or "it wasn't like that before" to outright "welllllll uuuummmm".

Since we've returned home, he's become one of LAs biggest cheerleaders and doesn't want to live anywhere else Haha.

I've learned that people will ALWAYS hate LA and none of them will actually give you a definitive answer as to why. You'll always get "whataboutism" as a response. LA is just an easy target for the miserable.

Last edited by caligrad; Mar 3, 2023 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 2:40 AM
SUSPENDED

dtla's future depends a lot on how easy or comfortable ppl are in getting there or commuting back & forth to dt from areas outside central LA. One reason why a city like NYC may be showing less negative impact 2 yrs since the pandemic is that way more ppl in places like that are just about required to deal with their urban core. By contrast, dtla has been slowly marginalized since the early 1900s, so a lot of time lost needs to be made up for that. But, again, groups like the MTA & folks running LA city hall can either help or make things worse for dt.

Video Link

Quote:
Valerie Cady 1 month ago
Hi I rode this one about a month ago on these trains there’s a lot of trash and homeless people , I personally don’t care if they don’t ask you for money...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 2:55 AM
SUSPENDED

the dtla development group in facebook is showing the classic eastern columbia tower being worked on right now....which is a relief since I know high maintenance expenses sometimes overwhelm property owners...in this case, all the residents of the EC bldg & their HOA, they'll defer work. When the EC tower entered the time after the original dept store in it closed down in 1957, the bldg increasingly became quite ragged.

Brady Hunsberger, facebook.com/groups/DtlaDev

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
the dtla development group in facebook is showing the classic eastern columbia tower being worked on right now....which is a relief since I know high maintenance expenses sometimes overwhelm property owners...in this case, all the residents of the EC bldg & their HOA, they'll defer work. When the EC tower entered the time after the original dept store in it closed down in 1957, the bldg increasingly became quite ragged.

Brady Hunsberger, facebook.com/groups/DtlaDev
The Eastern Columbia building is one of the most unique, and beautiful, Art Deco towers that I've ever seen. Downtown is lucky to have it. We're all lucky to have it.

I just now learned, via Wikipedia, that Eastern Columbia received an exemption from the city's previous 150-foot height limit so that the clock tower could rise to 264 feet.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 3:57 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Moderator edit: deleted a lot of off-topic posts about DC and SF. Please keep the commentary here about Downtown LA development.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 5:04 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
We're all lucky to have it.
similarly, I didn't realize that some of architect Frank Lloyd wright's most well known projs are not just in LA, but are on hillsides that have a view of dtla, both his hollyhock & Ennis house. Of course, when they were first built, LA didn't have a skyline, so all the ppl who like focusing on how new devlpt in dt will affect the look of it as seen from miles away does have value to properties on the other side of town.

https://youtu.be/oPGyE3DhmgM

architectmagazine.com

^ the 5 degrees of kevin bacon applies to these properties & dtla, The ennis house was restored over the past 10 yrs by ron burkle, whose company he was CEO of in the 2000s was one of the leading funders of disney hall.

meanwhile, these are 2 projs in the arts dist, one that has just been completed, the other one still an ongoing work. It's interesting how the bldg on 1st St isn't affected by phone poles & power lines as the other bldg on Alameda St is. When ppl like Frank lloyd wright were doing projs in LA over 70 yrs ago, I wonder if they ever grumbled to the dwp to get their act together?

la.urbanize.city

la.urbanize.city

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 6:26 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I do think about that. Some of those skid row buidings have nice urbanism/ground floor retail. You could keep those and bulldoze shitty ones, add in modern housing/towers on the vacant lots and the neighborhood would boom with new restaurants/bars like the historic core......all the way to the arts district. Mixed in with Little Tokyo and a more modern Chinatown....

You aren't wrong at all.

And if they get rid all of all that useless warehouse shit in the south east area.....yeah. It's inevitable, but the sooner the better. At some point, Westlake is going to gentrify as well, so you're looking at a big time area from like Vermont Ave -to the LA river.
I lived in Westlake and while I could understand why it wouldn't be for everyone (very noisy, dirty, impossible parking), I absolutely loved it. It was within walking distance from everything that I needed. I loved the liquor store on the corner. If I wanted $2 dollar pupusas, I knew where to go. Downtown was right there. If it hasn't already, Westlake will soon be the new Silverlake. Or the new Echo Park. Lol.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 7:29 PM

Quote:
I lived in Westlake and while I could understand why it wouldn't be for everyone (very noisy, dirty, impossible parking),
Gee, sounds like A CITY!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 7:46 PM

Quote:
I lived in Westlake and while I could understand why it wouldn't be for everyone (very noisy, dirty, impossible parking), I absolutely loved it. It was within walking distance from everything that I needed. I loved the liquor store on the corner. If I wanted $2 dollar pupusas, I knew where to go. Downtown was right there. If it hasn't already, Westlake will soon be the new Silverlake. Or the new Echo Park. Lol.
I have mixed feelings on it. It has nice potential to become more walkable, its still spotty in some areas. but it's def urban in general.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Gee, sounds like A CITY!
It's not the inconveniences that make a city, it's the conveniences that make up for those.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 4:08 AM

From LA Reddit:

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 4:42 AM
SUSPENDED

the article about how the premiere of Disney Hall in 2003 was treated like the oscars, an event long associated with LA & prior to 2000 was held in dtla, made me go through the history. Then the show moved to the Shrine near USC before going to...Hollywood itself. As dtla has moved up in value, that annual event ("Hollywood") has decreased in the same thing. Even the shrine auditorium today is in better shape that it was in 1998...notice the way it was painted & how its front side was barren except for the presence of power poles. Look at dtla in 1978....if ppl aren't satisfied with the skyline today, they should be lucky they didn't have to deal with it 45 yrs ago. But at least the moat & geysers of the dwp bldg were operating.

Now there are things like the microsoft theater, the dolby theater, youtube theater (in inglewood), a new art museum in exposition pk, the space shuttle exhibit, an expanded history museum.....I like how the past of LA helps give a better sense of where the city...& dtla in particular...has been & where it needs to be in upcoming yrs....

Video Link

https://youtu.be/m3eQqNJ1WEE

https://youtu.be/aNGyALUyb1g?t=79

Quote:
Live from the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles, California, the 71st annual Academy Awards.… Welcome to a star-studded evening here at the Music Center. The stars are out tonight to celebrate the best of the best…” So crowed the cheerful ABC announcer at the top of the 1999 Oscars telecast as the camera prowled the red carpet.

It was also the last year that the Oscars ceremony was held at the Music Center after a nearly three-decade run — the longest of any venue in Oscars history. The Oscars broadcast was a publicity bonanza for the Music Center, providing the performing-arts venue with international exposure. For the academy, the center’s photogenic Midcentury architecture lent an air of class and sophistication to the annual ritual.

“It’s a very elegant facility, and I know the [board of governors] was originally attracted to it because of that,” said Bruce Davis, former executive director of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

So why did the Oscars leave the Pavilion? Leaders at both organizations recalled that scheduling had become an issue as the academy had to compete with the L.A. Philharmonic, L.A. Opera and other arts companies for use of the Dorothy Chandler.

In the mid-’80s, the Oscars started alternating venues with the Shrine Auditorium near USC. Starting in 2002, the ceremony moved into its new permanent home at the Kodak Theatre (now the Dolby Theatre) at Hollywood & Highland. The Music Center first hosted the Oscars in 1969, when Gregory Peck was the academy’s president. Until that time, the Oscars had led a somewhat nomadic existence and had most recently been held at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium.

Having opened to the public in 1964, the Music Center was a relatively new venue that boasted state-of-the-art facilities. It was Dorothy Chandler herself — the philanthropist and wife of former Los Angeles Times publisher Norman Chandler — who helped secure her namesake theater for the academy.

“She became an ally,” recalled Walter Mirisch, the Oscar-winning producer and a former academy president. “We then needed to get it by the academy board and also the Board of Supervisors of the county. There was some opposition to it, and it didn’t go easily even with Buff Chandler’s assistance.”

Mirisch said there were questions about scheduling and how the Oscars would affect downtown traffic on Monday nights. He added: “Somehow or other, as in most of the things [Chandler] set out to do, with her help, we were able to accomplish it.”

^ 54 yrs since 1969, I don't know if as much effort would be put into trying to host the show in dtla, at the music ctr or otherwise. It was held in Union Station a few yrs ago & has sadly lost its popularity before & since then.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 7:26 AM

That is an absolutely remarkable picture craigs!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations