HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:14 PM

Starbucks

Inked a lease for a spot in the Marigny.
Proper zoning in place so I don't see NIMNBY residents being able to prevent it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:20 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU_Forte View Post
Starbucks

Proper zoning in place so I don't see NIMNBY residents being able to prevent it.
Where? God air bnb has ruined the poor marigny. What a joke

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:26 PM
-

Quote:
Nah apartments would not be noteworthy at all.
This will be a mixed use quasi-destination project.
Something which would pull tourists as well as locals to that section of Canal.
Any idea when they will announce this?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:35 PM
-

Residence Inn:

i think they did a great job with the lighting at Factors Row:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Any idea when they will announce this?
Hoping to have all permits and construction contracts in hand in 3 months.
Formal announcement likely aound the same time.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:58 PM
-

Quote:
Hoping to have all permits and construction contracts in hand in 3 months.
Formal announcement likely aound the same time.
And this has nothing to do with it staying a theatre? exciting to get this eyesore back into commerce thats for sure!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:00 PM
NOLA Razorback

WWII Museum

I live right by the WWII museum and am fascinated that there's not an actual tower crane for the hotel, besides the mobile one they have. Do you think they'll get one eventually?

(Also factor's row looks so good now!)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I live right by the WWII museum and am fascinated that there's not an actual tower crane for the hotel, besides the mobile one they have. Do you think they'll get one eventually?

(Also factor's row looks so good now!)
I cant see how they wont .. the building reaches 120 feet in height.. curious process for sure? is the bottom tilt wall construction maybe?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Something big brewing. Not what you would expect.
Something brewing? Hmm. Is that a hint? Dixie brewery?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Starbucks

It’s not about being a NIMBY, it’s about trying to keep the neighborhood unique and local. How does a Starbucks help anybody? It’s a losing fight when the renters get kicked out and every other house is a hotel or vacation home, but it’s a fight worth having.

I know some people around here might be averse to any and all restrictions on development and land use, but they exist for a reason, so the debate is how far do we go/when do we stop?

Back to the topic: The only place I could reasonably see a Starbucks being allowed in is by NOCCA and the tracks. God forbid they put it on Frenchmen.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
It’s not about being a NIMBY, it’s about trying to keep the neighborhood unique and local. How does a Starbucks help anybody? It’s a losing fight when the renters get kicked out and every other house is a hotel or vacation home, but it’s a fight worth having.

I know some people around here might be averse to any and all restrictions on development and land use, but they exist for a reason, so the debate is how far do we go/when do we stop?

Back to the topic: The only place I could reasonably see a Starbucks being allowed in is by NOCCA and the tracks. God forbid they put it on Frenchmen.
what about roberts shopping center? pretty sure its going in there

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Something brewing? Hmm. Is that a hint? Dixie brewery?
hmm thats an interesting thought ... but it seems like an off building for that but who knows lol

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah that would make complete sense actually. I forgot about those little box retail spots, but isn't there already a PJ's stand in Roberts?

Honestly, I get why they'll allow Starbucks to open there at the corner of Elysian Fields and St Claude in a redeveloped strip mall, but outside of there I'd have a problem with Starbucks opening shop in the neighborhood. If we lost a place like Rose Nicaud, Flora, or Orange Couch because Starbucks opened up nearby, it'd be a damn shame.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:01 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
I cant see how they wont .. the building reaches 120 feet in height.. curious process for sure? is the bottom tilt wall construction maybe?
Doesn't look it, they've poured 3 elevator shafts and are now putting up metal beams. I just cant imagine it not have a tower crane at some point

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post

How do you regulate a use like Starbucks without adversely affecting a P.J.'s? One may be "national" (Starbucks) and one may be "local" (P.J.'s) but they are the same use. I quote "national" and "local" when in reality, P.J.'s aspires to be a worldwide brand and has franchise locations overseas.

It is after all a Land Use regulation, not a Brand Use one. Thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 9:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeside View Post
How do you regulate a use like Starbucks without adversely affecting a P.J.'s? One may be "national" (Starbucks) and one may be "local" (P.J.'s) but they are the same use. I quote "national" and "local" when in reality, P.J.'s aspires to be a worldwide brand and has franchise locations overseas.

you really cant.. personally if the neighborhood hates it then dont support it... no one is making anyone go there! A starbucks on st Claude is absolutely fine I mean theres a Mcdonalds and Rallys on that street... so yeah a starbucks is fine to me and my contact said its supposed to be a starbucks and smoothie king in that shopping center and i think they were trying for a taco bell cantina but i cant remember for sure

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeside View Post

I'm not even sure if PJ's is there, but if it is, it's inside the grocery store. Thus it's impact is limited -- maybe someone can tell me if I'm right or not. I might be thinking of another place.

Per your question, I think it's fair and reasonable to choose local brands over national brands in terms of who opens up in a residential neighborhood. Local brands are part of our character, and our character is something worth protecting -- not just for commercial reasons but definitely partly for commercial reasons. People visit here and live here for a reason, and it's not because we have Starbucks -- it's because we have other, interesting flavors and options that are uniquely our own. So people should get a say.

One only has to think about how people can appreciate the "local" character of Dat Dog (for example) opening a new location Vs. Applebees opening at the same spot. Try opening Applebees on Freret St or Magazine...

A brand is a huge part of a consumer-facing business and companies spend billions on defining/marketing their brand. So if the people in a neighborhood don't want a certain brand like Applebees moving down the block, then I think that it's a fair criticism. Some people go too far and some people don't care at all, but it's a debate that should have some impact on how land is used. Brands are not innocent victims here. Too much thinking, strategy, and money is spent to manipulate people's thinking for me to think all brands are the same or should be judged equally.

What if Trump tried to open a "Trump's Greatest Coffee" shop there? Put his face and name all over it. Some might be cool with it, but I'm sure plenty of neighbors in the Marigny would say no find someone else.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 10:23 PM
-

Im sorry this is America , i dont want neighborhoods to have a committee over who can and cant open in their hood.. thats ridiculous.. if they dont like it dont shop there!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Im sorry this is America , i dont want neighborhoods to have a committee over who can and cant open in their hood.. thats ridiculous.. if they dont like it dont shop there!
I understand where you’re coming from but the free market unrestrained can be a bad thing sometimes. That’s why we have certain restrictions and regulations. True libertarianism is not a sound ideology in my view. There are reasonable restrictions why we don’t allow strip clubs to operate across the street from elementary schools or liquor stores to open across from high schools (although New Orleans is probably a tough example for this).

Same with financial markets—we have reasonable restrictions on how people can buy and sell stocks to keep the market fair so people continue to invest in it. In principle the free market is as imperfect and at times self destructive as people themselves. Through experience we’ve learned some things need a semblance of external control for the maximum benefit to be achieved.

No one wants an open air manure farm to open in their neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:

Correct

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations