HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:47 PM
-

Will the WWII Museum's huge canopy be hurricane safe? Designers say yes

some people are so dense? its like no, they designed a giant pavilion and didnt think about hurricanes in NOLA

http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2...rricane_s.html

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
No, like I get the location for a skyline view and for having the room to fit it, etc. Just once you're down on the street, which is kinda hard to get to, and what not there's not a whole lot around it. Just industrial stuff. I hope it works out though. Guess we'll find out. At the end of the day its better than having the abandoned times pic building there
I understand what you're saying. They're working on a second study now to determine how to make the site more accessible. One was done for Top Golf, just last year, but Drive Shack wants entirely new set of data collected.

I agree about the lack of anything in the immediate vicinity.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 2:06 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
I understand what you're saying. They're working on a second study now to determine how to make the site more accessible. One was done for Top Golf, just last year, but Drive Shack wants entirely new set of data collected.

I agree about the lack of anything in the immediate vicinity.
I could see some sort of tif being used there possibly to make improvements to the infrastructure around there.. very visible location but not easily accessible .. especially from directions where most people will be coming from

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 5:17 PM
-

N Claiborne Ave ROW between Orleans Ave & St. Louis St·Design Review · Project #DR025-18 ·Ref Code: XXLGDT
Download (3) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
New Orleans Business Alliance
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
3/5/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Design Review of proposed development for the Claiborne Cultural Innovation District in the N. Claiborne Avenue right-of-way between St. Louis Street and Orleans Avenue in an OS-G, HU-RM1. and MU-2 Districts and an EC and GC Design Overlays.

Council Approves Entergy New Orleans’ Proposal for New Power Plant

Today, the Council heard several hours of public comment and voted in favor of Resolution R-18-65, which requests approval for the construction of a new Entergy power station in New Orleans East. This decision was the result of more than 18 months of discussion between the Council, Entergy New Orleans, the Landrieu Administration and numerous community partners to determine the best possible solution for meeting the city’s current utility needs.

Per the proposal, Entergy New Orleans insisted that a new electricity-generating facility was needed within city limits since a pair of aging units in Michoud were brought offline in 2016. The proposed plant would use less groundwater for cooling, and would also have “black start” capability that could be activated whether or not it was connected to an outside power source. Entergy spokespersons have ensured that the new facility would be safe, reliable and would serve to spur economic development through job creation and driving new businesses to the city.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Will the WWII Museum's huge canopy be hurricane safe? Designers say yes

some people are so dense? its like no, they designed a giant pavilion and didnt think about hurricanes in NOLA

http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2...rricane_s.html
WHAT AN AWESOME ADDITION! Was there recently, and was really impressed. I can't even imagine what this new addition will look like.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 8:46 PM

I ask this question every few months, but are these buildings still on track to be put to productive use and is so when is the estimated date for completion. I think the World Trade Center site is more far along and is suppose to be a hotel. I hope that true, and I want to book a room opening day if that's the case.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 9:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
I ask this question every few months, but are these buildings still on track to be put to productive use and is so when is the estimated date for completion. I think the World Trade Center site is more far along and is suppose to be a hotel. I hope that true, and I want to book a room opening day if that's the case.

I know from someone who is pretty reputable that the four seasons should be closing on their financing this month.. so id imagine a quick start to construction

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 12:06 AM

^ Awesome! Thank you,

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 1:35 AM
-

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:30 AM

We have a lot of big projects going on now. The airport, Hard Rock, Canal Crossing, Kalorama, Higgins, and others. Are we really limited to the number of big projects that we can have under construction at one time? Is there a limit to the number of construction workers and contractors available, or if we had more projects ready for shovels in the dirt, could they be accommodated?

The Four Seasons, Odeon, Harrah’s expansion, Virgin Hotel, and 1100 Annunciation will all be quite intensive for contractors.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:39 AM

Quote:
THE JULIA AT ST. CHARLES

This will really bring life to a quiet set of blocks. A great complementary development would be another building across Julia at Carondelet in that abandoned strip mall(?).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Is this one of the terminals or the main portion?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 1:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
We have a lot of big projects going on now. The airport, Hard Rock, Canal Crossing, Kalorama, Higgins, and others. Are we really limited to the number of big projects that we can have under construction at one time? Is there a limit to the number of construction workers and contractors available, or if we had more projects ready for shovels in the dirt, could they be accommodated?

The Four Seasons, Odeon, Harrah’s expansion, Virgin Hotel, and 1100 Annunciation will all be quite intensive for contractors.
The massive amount of industrial expansion projects starting upriver will be much more demanding i think... dont forget we had those two medical centers going on and they were pretty massive on the job front . But certainly something to keep an eye on in regards to certain trades

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 2:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
This will really bring life to a quiet set of blocks. A great complementary development would be another building across Julia at Carondelet in that abandoned strip mall(?).
that parcel is for sale at the moment.. so could happen sooner than later

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 2:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
WHAT AN AWESOME ADDITION! Was there recently, and was really impressed. I can't even imagine what this new addition will look like.
the closest thing I can think of is the canopy at Fashion Show Mall in Vegas

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:55 PM

I attended a meeting at the WW2 Museum a few months ago and a person from the museum spoke to us about the canopy, additions, etc.

Forgive me if I am wrong, I do not think this has been mentioned anywhere before, but the museum is planning a nightly massive light show to be projected on the buildings and the underside of the canopy with audio telling different stories of the war and victory. We were shown a video presentation of the nightly show and it was VERY impressive.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
I attended a meeting at the WW2 Museum a few months ago and a person from the museum spoke to us about the canopy, additions, etc.

Forgive me if I am wrong, I do not think this has been mentioned anywhere before, but the museum is planning a nightly massive light show to be projected on the buildings and the underside of the canopy with audio telling different stories of the war and victory. We were shown a video presentation of the nightly show and it was VERY impressive.
Makes a lot of sense ... most press releases about the canopy mention the ability to project images and to change colors and program projections onto it . So that definitely makes sense. I think this will be a surprisingly unique additiom to the skyline that many people didnt see coming

I wonder if that video presentation is anywhere online

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 12, 2018 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:34 PM
-

Interesting read about the Hurricane protection system for NOLA and the final segment being delivered this Spring:

The Best and the Brightest of the US Army Corps of Engineers

The $14.5 billion post-Katrina Hurricane and Storm Damage Risk Reduction System is one of the most robust and advanced storm surge risk reduction systems ever constructed. The system is a 133-mile perimeter defense of levees, floodwalls and complex structures that includes the largest surge barrier in the world as well as the world’s two largest drainage pump stations.

https://iconsofinfrastructure.com/army-corps-engineers/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:57 PM
-

Looks like Harrahs is already starting to upgrade things :

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 1:40 PM

Is that the old Aiden Gill space?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations