HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 11:31 PM
Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevelopmentAndy View Post
If you do not like what someone is saying, it is not trolling. Maybe you should stop posting. Others have posted comments that support what I was saying so it seems you just do not like to hear what you do not like. That is not trolling.
I'll not go as far to say you're deliberately trolling but some of what your saying/claiming seems needlessly abrasive and founded on not much more than "just trust me". The assertion that "almost all" UdeM grads work in English is particularly laughable to anyone who spends time around Acadians in this province.
I must know well over a hundred of their graduates and all except a couple who moved out west work in a French or at least bilingual setting. Unless you're willing to share some of that top-secret intel you've got stating otherwise I'll stick with my anecdotal knowledge.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
So has Thrive Properties completely stopped all construction activities, or do they still have any building projects on the go? Their Tides building in Riverview was recently completed and looks to be filling up nicely, if it's not already sold out.

They were very active builders, I still wonder what happened with them.
I believe they are in the process of finishing and leasing the 100 unit concrete building on Twin Oaks. It looks to be another high quality project by them.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
I believe they are in the process of finishing and leasing the 100 unit concrete building on Twin Oaks. It looks to be another high quality project by them.
It'll be interesting to see what Thrive Properties does next. Unfortunately it seems like their plan is to just finish up their existing construction projects.

They certainly had a lot more buildings planned at one time - The Village at Twin Oaks itself was originally supposed to be 6 buildings with 540 units.

It would be nice to see them get back in the game at some point. There's still a strong demand for their product.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
I'll not go as far to say you're deliberately trolling but some of what your saying/claiming seems needlessly abrasive and founded on not much more than "just trust me". The assertion that "almost all" UdeM grads work in English is particularly laughable to anyone who spends time around Acadians in this province.
I must know well over a hundred of their graduates and all except a couple who moved out west work in a French or at least bilingual setting. Unless you're willing to share some of that top-secret intel you've got stating otherwise I'll stick with my anecdotal knowledge.
I have seen the data on a confidential basis so I cannot disclose but many of the Moncton grads go elsewhere. You see the people that stay there but historically many graduates of all of the universities there leave the maritime and a lot of French from Quebec and NB end up in the US - and they are not speaking French there (or in a business setting other than retail pretty much anywhere outside of Quebec). As for the financials, it should be obvious that setting up new programs and campuses is extremely expensive and not something a have not province should be spending money on especially while university enrolment has generally been declining there.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Anecdotally I have 5 consultants on my development team from NB, all Acadians and U de M or UNB grads. Excellent workers, love talking about NB but we are not there and French is never spoken (in the work setting, I am sure they do on their own time).

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:06 PM

The for sale sign on some of the property on Twin Oaks was talked about a while back, but their web site does not show a scaled down plan for the site.

It does seem like most of the builders in the city are going for "community / village" style developments, perhaps since the ROI scales up with more units. Personally I like the idea, since it brings folks together, and if the build continue with offering services like small retail / restaurants in the areas then it will bring a nice sense of community for sure.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGUS View Post
The for sale sign on some of the property on Twin Oaks was talked about a while back, but their web site does not show a scaled down plan for the site.

It does seem like most of the builders in the city are going for "community / village" style developments, perhaps since the ROI scales up with more units. Personally I like the idea, since it brings folks together, and if the build continue with offering services like small retail / restaurants in the areas then it will bring a nice sense of community for sure.
I agree with your comments about the community approach by some developers. Thrive was planning 4-5 clusters of buildings (communities) in Riverview and Moncton.

And I do remember them attempting to sell off some of their assets, including land on Twin Oaks. And wasn't their head office building that they extensively renovated also for sale?

Their web site hasn't been updated for a long time. For example they're still showing The Current building in Riverview, which has been dead in the water (sold) for a long time.

It doesn't look like they're planning to be active builders, at least for now. Hopefully they come back at some point in the future.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Their web site hasn't been updated for a long time. For example they're still showing The Current building in Riverview, which has been dead in the water (sold) for a long time.
Many developer websites in the region haven't been substantially updated in years. They are no longer a viable source of updated information regarding development activities.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 2:10 PM

Quote:
I have seen the data on a confidential basis so I cannot disclose but many of the Moncton grads go elsewhere. You see the people that stay there but historically many graduates of all of the universities there leave the maritime and a lot of French from Quebec and NB end up in the US - and they are not speaking French there (or in a business setting other than retail pretty much anywhere outside of Quebec). As for the financials, it should be obvious that setting up new programs and campuses is extremely expensive and not something a have not province should be spending money on especially while university enrolment has generally been declining there.
Huh? By what metrics is this declining? There's public data on this. Unless you'd like to present your top secret data there is simply nothing credible about what you are saying. This doesnt even address the fact that this new campus would have a program that is high in demand and need.

UNB (includes Fredericton & SJ) - fall enrolment stats

2018- 9550
2019 - 9583
2020 - 9298 (covid year)
2021 - 9705
2022 - 9928
2023 - 10552

UdeM

2018 - 4733
2019 - 4998
2020 - 5061
2022 - cant find it
2021 - 5220
2023 - 5316 (record enrolment!!)

Mount A

2018 - 2127
2019 - 2184
2020 - 2265
2021 - 2265
2022 - 2275
2023 - 2350

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 3:31 PM

My wife works in the veterinary field and I asked her if she thought Moncton could use a vet program. She said anywhere could use a vet program, it’s so in demand. They’ve had to pay to bring in Vets from UK & Mexico. They’ve also had times where her clinic has had to limit their hours because they didn’t have enough vets on staff. Moncton would potentially also have a unique opportunity with the zoo for veterinarians to be able to work with more exotic animals than you would see at a typical private practice.

What other programs could a potential campus aim for?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 3:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
What other programs could a potential campus aim for?
There is an upcoming severe shortage of dentists.

For some reason, NB is no longer purchasing seats at the Dalhousie Dental School (according to my dentist). This makes it very difficult for NB born potential students to gain admission to dental school. I do not understand this.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 6:15 PM

Quote:
The assertion that "almost all" UdeM grads work in English is particularly laughable to anyone who spends time around Acadians in this province.
Indeed! UMoncton studies from 2013 and 2018 have shown that around 88% of their graduating students work in NB and that 70% of them actually return to their county of origin.

As far as language used at work, the 2018 study shows that 49,9% mostly or almost only use French and 27,2% do the same for English. The remaining (23%) use both languages equally.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There is an upcoming severe shortage of dentists.

For some reason, NB is no longer purchasing seats at the Dalhousie Dental School (according to my dentist). This makes it very difficult for NB born potential students to gain admission to dental school. I do not understand this.
Nursing, Veterinary and Dentistry. That is a good foundation to start a university on.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Huh? By what metrics is this declining? There's public data on this. Unless you'd like to present your top secret data there is simply nothing credible about what you are saying. This doesnt even address the fact that this new campus would have a program that is high in demand and need.

UNB (includes Fredericton & SJ) - fall enrolment stats

2018- 9550
2019 - 9583
2020 - 9298 (covid year)
2021 - 9705
2022 - 9928
2023 - 10552

UdeM

2018 - 4733
2019 - 4998
2020 - 5061
2022 - cant find it
2021 - 5220
2023 - 5316 (record enrolment!!)

Mount A

2018 - 2127
2019 - 2184
2020 - 2265
2021 - 2265
2022 - 2275
2023 - 2350
Over a longer time period and excluding foreign students would not lead you to the same conclusion and I am not sure about those numbers either. We can disagree. The whole post education management system there is in disarray currently and that may explain some of the strange funding decisions being made, There is a good podcast with Dr. Chris Simpson Executive Vice-President, Clinical Institutes and Quality Programs and Chief Medical Executive Ontario Health and he mentions how basically NB would not let him return home to practice. Too many doctors!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
Indeed! UMoncton studies from 2013 and 2018 have shown that around 88% of their graduating students work in NB and that 70% of them actually return to their county of origin.

As far as language used at work, the 2018 study shows that 49,9% mostly or almost only use French and 27,2% do the same for English. The remaining (23%) use both languages equally.
I am not believing those numbers one bit, they are speaking English taking into account the bias that will clearly be present. So, yes those numbers are probably what people responded and those going back to a French speaking country may be speaking French; otherwise, people are saying one thing and many are doing another.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I am not believing those numbers one bit, they are speaking English taking into account the bias that will clearly be present. So, yes those numbers are probably what people responded and those going back to a French speaking country may be speaking French; otherwise, people are saying one thing and many are doing another.
What are you talking about? Those numbers are their official enrolment numbers. I suppose you’re just like Trump and consider the data in your head to be alternative facts. Everything that you don’t agree with is just fake news, right?

Can we get someone to deal with this troll.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
What are you talking about? Those numbers are their official enrolment numbers. I suppose you’re just like Trump and consider the data in your head to be alternative facts. Everything that you don’t agree with is just fake news, right?

Can we get someone to deal with this troll.
I will leave you in peace to have conversations that make no financial sense whatsoever and show a belief that government has endless resources for these dreams. On the enrolment STU has had a decline in enrolment almost every year for over a decade. There was a slide in NB university enrolment for years pre covid. Google it since I am not providing it. Even U d M has articles and info archived on it - I checked just now. Boosting foreign student enrolment is not a solution. Also, looking at longer term numbers and breaking it out tells another story. That is often the case.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 3:32 PM

Funny how when someone provided actual numbers, it's not believable, and yet the only retort from the same person choosing not to trust given public numbers is that google will have numbers to say otherwise

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 6:51 PM

I took 3 minutes to research STU’s enrolment numbers through Statistics Canada since you haven’t provided any references.

There was enrolment increase for 4 straight years from 2017 through 2022.

Quote:
I will leave you in peace to have conversations that make no financial sense whatsoever and show a belief that government has endless resources for these dreams. On the enrolment STU has had a decline in enrolment almost every year for over a decade. There was a slide in NB university enrolment for years pre covid. Google it since I am not providing it. Even U d M has articles and info archived on it - I checked just now. Boosting foreign student enrolment is not a solution. Also, looking at longer term numbers and breaking it out tells another story. That is often the case.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 7:30 PM

There is no point in having a conversation with this person anymore.

As soon as they said they "disagree" with official numbers as if it were an opinion on what the tax rate should be it was clear to me this person doesn't want an actual conversation.

The original claim was that attendance was in decline in universities in NB. I demonstrated over the last 6 years that is a false claim. Then they suddenly shifted to look further back in the past and that international students don't count. The goal posts will just move no matter what is presented.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces