HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 3:34 AM

The new cranes at the port will be used for the first time tomorrow morning June 22nd on a Hapag-Lloyd ship.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
The new cranes at the port will be used for the first time tomorrow morning June 22nd on a Hapag-Lloyd ship.
The ship Barcelona Express is due into the city from Vigo, Spain. Kind of cool to see them use the new cranes on a ship that is on the first service Hapag Lloyd brought to the city in 2021.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 12:09 AM

Snagging this photo from Larry's Crane Rental of a crane up at an apartment project in Rothesay. I believe this is at 95 Hampton Road.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Yea that’s it. Another glimmer of hope quashed lol
Meanwhile Moncton getting 30 story building - why can’t we get Moncton developers on a bus, tour them around. They seem to gets things done almost instantly

I thought about the announcement of that 30 story tower in Moncton when I read about the application by Seale Excavators for some 3 story 24 and 30 unit buildings in Milford in the TJ this morning. Nothing wrong with these traditional 24 and 30 unit boxes but the juxtaposition of the two newspaper stories seems to reflect the stark differences in the development scene between the two cities.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 9:57 AM
New Brunswick booster!

The first ship to use the new cranes is in port!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
The 'winter port' was great for the city but it was gone with the opening of the St Lawrence Seaway and 24/7 ice breaking services on the St Lawrence. That was the mid-late 1950's and container shipping was virtually unheard of. Montreal has now maxed out it's container ship capacity (6000 TEUs) as shipping companies are building way beyond 6000 TEUs for efficiency.

Since nothing has changed for the PSJ container terminal since 2017 (the container terminal is still at 125K capacity) every increase made has been based on historic infrastructure capability, current performance, and future potential. Essentially everything is still "under construction".

When the second set of cranes are working for a calendar year and we have some data to process, we can look at this again.

With that understanding:
Counting only labour jobs directly at the container terminal in 2022 - 314,000 well paid hours with a positive future outlook. That is the equivalent of ~157 full time jobs. That is significantly higher than every year in recent history.

The trickle down effect of that is some multiple of 157+ full time jobs in all the transportation industries as well as added employment overall.

The entirety of the gains made so far is a result of shippers realizing the potential of Saint John as a destination port. That confidence is a result of good port management as well as the port's response to extenuating circumstances in 2021 that pushed the container terminal to it's limits, and then beyond. 2022 was 26K TEUs, or 21% above capacity. Those events were not in the plan but the response proved we could deliver above the advertised performance levels.

800K TEUs is over 5 times what was processed in 2022. This is only my lay person estimate but I think 1M+ hours is in the ballpark. That is the equivalent of 500+ good full time jobs with ancillary jobs being some multiple of that.

On top of that, when one business moves here because of the container port, you can start adding all those jobs as well.
I guess ports are like many other industries in that they provide a fraction of the jobs they did "back in the day". Still, nothing to sneeze at and all good news.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I thought about the announcement of that 30 story tower in Moncton when I read about the application by Seale Excavators for some 3 story 24 and 30 unit buildings in Milford in the TJ this morning. Nothing wrong with these traditional 24 and 30 unit boxes but the juxtaposition of the two newspaper stories seems to reflect the stark differences in the development scene between the two cities.
These small projects all add up to help us build up to the league of Moncton, St. John’s and Halifax. If you follow StatCan and the monthly labour reports, the region’s population should eclipse 140,000 sometime this year so there is definitely momentum in area. Who knows maybe SJ could get a 40 story
Fun fact, Brunswick Square tower is only half built - the original plans called for an identical tower on top of existing one for total of 36 floors. The model used to be in the security office off of lobby. Moncton is doing amazing and they’ll have 250,000 in area within 10 years, but when it comes to topography and physical beauty, Saint John is on top along with Fredericton. The reality is the Moncton landscape is marshy, muddy, and sprawls - so you can have as many tall buildings as you want, but they’ll never have beautiful waterfront on blue bays and rivers let alone the historic architecture. The potential for development in Saint John is one of the best in maritimes after Halifax with Long Wharf, tin can beach and Smythe St/SJEnergy site.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 2:01 PM

Floating dock now installed in harbour,harbour passage trail will go onto breakwater

[IMG] [/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:21 PM

According to the Council agenda, the city is moving the beautification grant program to the North End. And no, I don't mean 'extending': they are removing the program for the South End/Waterloo. It will also be altered: no longer restricted to actual beautification, it will be used for minimum standards compliance. They are also extending beautification grants to include vinyl siding and emergency repair, as well as labour (wouldn't that be more useful where vinyl is prohibited?).

Whether you think taxpayers should be funding beautification or not, this basically a slumlord giveaway. Throw some $1.69sf vinyl up and get paid to do it!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I guess ports are like many other industries in that they provide a fraction of the jobs they did "back in the day". Still, nothing to sneeze at and all good news.
Ports everywhere are in the same position. Direct jobs at the port are becoming more "automated" and efficient by incorporating modern technologies. Direct jobs at the port are not the ultimate goal. The ultimate goal are the businesses that will locate to take advantage of the import/export opportunities.

Some of the industries that take advantage of FTZ classified ports:
Automobile Manufacturers, Oil/Petroleum, Pharmaceutical Manufacturers, Consumer Products, Semiconductors, Electronics/Telecommunications Manufacturers.

Companies can set up warehouses in order to reduce delivery times/costs to end users using the shipping routes available at the port. Or they can set up final manufacturing steps at local facilities that benefit from minimized shipping costs using a single facility and shipping route to manufacture and warehouse customized products for end users within North America. These are by no means an exhaustive list of all the possibilities.

Speculation:
Perhaps Keith Creel was referring to a business opportunity where CPKC would play an integral part transporting products to customers nationally. Maybe even internationally. If Keith Creel is excited about it, it would have to be a significant benefit to CPKC and to PSJ. He was not talking about transporting WalMart trinkets. It would be something that would affect the makeup of trains in and out of Saint John to a significant extent. According to PSJ, DPW has added the Lot X property quietly to their portfolio. I don't believe DPW blindly speculates. That move may be tied to the recent talk about near future opportunities.

Whatever is going on, it's going to be a sizable investment.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
Ports everywhere are in the same position. Direct jobs at the port are becoming more "automated" and efficient by incorporating modern technologies. Direct jobs at the port are not the ultimate goal. The ultimate goal are the businesses that will locate to take advantage of the import/export opportunities.

Some of the industries that take advantage of FTZ classified ports:
Automobile Manufacturers, Oil/Petroleum, Pharmaceutical Manufacturers, Consumer Products, Semiconductors, Electronics/Telecommunications Manufacturers.

Companies can set up warehouses in order to reduce delivery times/costs to end users using the shipping routes available at the port. Or they can set up final manufacturing steps at local facilities that benefit from minimized shipping costs using a single facility and shipping route to manufacture and warehouse customized products for end users within North America. These are by no means an exhaustive list of all the possibilities.

Speculation:
Perhaps Keith Creel was referring to a business opportunity where CPKC would play an integral part transporting products to customers nationally. Maybe even internationally. If Keith Creel is excited about it, it would have to be a significant benefit to CPKC and to PSJ. He was not talking about transporting WalMart trinkets. It would be something that would affect the makeup of trains in and out of Saint John to a significant extent. According to PSJ, DPW has added the Lot X property quietly to their portfolio. I don't believe DPW blindly speculates. That move may be tied to the recent talk about near future opportunities.

Whatever is going on, it's going to be a sizable investment.
Any word on RO/RO cargo? That is something we know the port wants to get into.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 11:12 AM

Where exactly is Lot X?

Also, maybe we should have a 'Port Development' thread.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
The council report just says the building will be removed and the property will be transformed into a new public plaza/transit hub. Eventually they will be building a small tourist welcome center on the property.

https://pub-saintjohn.escribemeeting...cumentId=14796
Telegraph Journal is reporting that there is a buyer who is interested in buying the Barbour’s General Store building to restore it and relocate it. https://tj.news/greater-saint-john/102131100

Last edited by DyAm00394; Jun 24, 2023 at 12:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 4:28 PM

Here is the current list of projects under construction. Am I missing anything?

Arlington 97
Seabird 88
Heatherway 24
Main St 28
Millidge 30
Technology 75
Burlington flats 49
AQ 55
Boars Head 33
95 Hampton 36
Chapel Road 48
Barker St 7

TOTAL 470

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Here is the current list of projects under construction. Am I missing anything?

Arlington 97
Seabird 88
Heatherway 24
Main St 28
Millidge 30
Technology 75
Burlington flats 49
AQ 55
Boars Head 33
95 Hampton 36
Chapel Road 48
Barker St 7

TOTAL 470
If we are talking about the city of Saint John, my count shows 492. This is because I am including renovation projects of multi-unit buildings uptown and I have slightly different numbers for individual project unit counts. If I included SFH it would be 500+.

Again, excluding SFH if we combine SJ, KV, and GBW then that number would jump somewhere around ~650. There are a few buildings under construction on Grand Bay's Colonel Nase Blvd but I have no clue what the exact unit count would be.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
If we are talking about the city of Saint John, my count shows 492. This is because I am including renovation projects of multi-unit buildings uptown and I have slightly different numbers for individual project unit counts. If I included SFH it would be 500+.

Again, excluding SFH if we combine SJ, KV, and GBW then that number would jump somewhere around ~650. There are a few buildings under construction on Grand Bay's Colonel Nase Blvd but I have no clue what the exact unit count would be.
Can you post your list if you have time? Thanks. Looks like Colonel Nase is 4 buildings X 6 units each

Last edited by cdnguys; Jun 24, 2023 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2023, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Can you post your list if you have time? Thanks. Looks like Colonel Nase is 4 buildings X 6 units each
Saint John
47 Canterbury - 6 units
24-26 Paddock - 9 units
199-201 Union - 12 units
815 Millidge Avenue - 87 units
449-453 Boars Head Road - 24 units
Arlington Court - 89 units
Technology Drive - 75 units
461 Millidge Avenue - 30 units
365 Main Street North - 24 units
Burlington Flats - 49 units
27-29 Baker Street - 7 units
990 Fairville Boulevard - 50 units
Dunnet Drive (Heather Way Complex) - 30 units

Rothesay
95 Hampton Road - 36 units
99 Chapel Road - 48 units

Grand Bay-Westfield
Colonel Nase Boulevard - 24 units

I don't think Quispamsis has any large projects on the go at the moment. It is becoming the epicenter for single-family home construction so no surprise.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 12:38 AM

(might not be project-related, but could impact future business in Saint John)

So I hit Reddit today, and came on this link below care of u/PortalRules123...

https://www.reddit.com/r/newbrunswic...tive_chair_of/

There's comments there that might be eye-opening to some, and suggest possible future impact on all Irving activities in N.B.

What do you all think about the 'ruminations' that went on in this Reddit thread? o.o

Old Posted Jun 25, 2023, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
(might not be project-related, but could impact future business in Saint John)

So I hit Reddit today, and came on this link below care of u/PortalRules123...

https://www.reddit.com/r/newbrunswic...tive_chair_of/

There's comments there that might be eye-opening to some, and suggest possible future impact on all Irving activities in N.B.

What do you all think about the 'ruminations' that went on in this Reddit thread? o.o
Normal goofy reddit squealing including a couple actual death wishes. Jaime Irving leaving the unread, poorly-edited, podunk blog's leadership is less relevant to the future of the Irvings than a seed stuck between Arthur's remaining teeth. I assumed he was kept on for continuity and has something better to do with his time.

This notion that Brunswick News carries water for Higgs is outright strange. Cardy gets a weekly interview and half the provincial page is attacks on the Higgs government. Which is strange as Postmedia nationally is quite favourable to him.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 2:36 PM

The first Seabird building is now open and tenants moving in. A friend that is going there thinks there may only be two units left in his building, with the second one opening before Christmas. I think you’ll start to see a pickup in Millidgeville homes for sale as retirees move in, opening up more housing for people looking to relocate to Saint John.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces