HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 10:29 AM

Back to normal. Overcast and mostly wet. Snow's gone, at least from the streets of downtown Vancouver and some other places. The cold is gone also.

Sunday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 8 C, the low was 5 C.

Downtown Vancouver, Jan.21 '24, my pics

White Rock Live Cam

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MK3E9EWDSY

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 12:33 PM

The big cold spell is ending today. Western Lake Erie is mostly frozen and we have 7cm of snow.

In the 14-day forecast on TWN, there are only two days that will drop below freezing, so we are going straight back to non-winter. Regular hghs above freezing are normal (around 50% of days in January and February), but lows above freezing usually amount to only a handful of days at most.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 2:33 PM

It hasn't been exceptionally cold, but we've had 8 consecutive days of subzero high temperatures in Toronto. I feel like that's rare.

The coldest it got was a nighttime low of -15.5. Given that it's expected to warm up into February, I think that might have been our coldest temperature of the year.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 3:33 PM

A light snow all day yesterday. About 5-10 cm. Nice to see we finally have snow. Still pretty low compared to mother years.

Out riding Sat and even though we got snow it was still pretty rough.

Temp heading up to +8-10C by the weekend.

Finally got to use the snow blower this year. But did notice one of the batteries is not charging, so happy that it was not a lot of snow.

Alberta Wildfire Management indicated they will have staff by April 1 this year. Currently there are 66 zombie fire still burning. Normal is 6.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
It hasn't been exceptionally cold, but we've had 8 consecutive days of subzero high temperatures in Toronto. I feel like that's rare.

The coldest it got was a nighttime low of -15.5. Given that it's expected to warm up into February, I think that might have been our coldest temperature of the year.
Yeah - even during colder winters, we tend to get short bursts of cold, followed by a quick thaw, and then more cold.

I still remember February 2015 however; our high for the month was -1.4. A truly freak winter month.

Today feels quite mild after the long cold stretch. Currently -3, rising to -1 with some potential flurries. A small snowfall tomorrow, no more than 5 cms and a high of 0. Wednesday is when we will 100% out of the freezing zone, with a high of 6.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 6:02 PM
Midtowner since 2K

6C? That's disappointing. It's been nice having some of this snow stick around for once.
This winter's been very mild overall, although the recent normal temperatures have been nice.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 6:30 PM

Halifax has been mostly cool and dry lately, with some flurries/light snow that has mostly disappeared, leaving everything bare with salted pavement for the most part.

Currently -1°C at YHZ (inland), -3°C at Shearwater (near the harbour) and sunny. The week is looking sunny for a few days with some rain/snow shaping up for the end of the week.

Other than the recent coolish snap (which I won't really call cold as it's only been in the 0 to -8ish range), it doesn't feel too wintery here lately.

TWN 14-day isn't showing much more precip or cold temps. Maybe mid to late Feb/March will be worse?

I don't mind if I don't have to shovel much this winter, and I've actually been enjoying the cool, dry weather lately. I could go through the rest of the season like this and be just fine.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 7:25 PM

Calgary could be getting some record breaking warmth over the weekend. 15 and sunny both days. That is going to feel downright hot after the crazy cold snap they had!

The record high for the 27th is 13.2, so it should cruise past that if the forecast holds up.

Highest January temperature is 17.6.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 10:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Overnight tomorrow we're going to be near record cold temperatures here in St. John's (-17C) and extreme cold in Labrador. This is the same mass of cold air that was impacting mainland Canada over the past while.

It's relatively short-lived at least. Should be back to a more normal temperature spread by Saturday. Wednesday morning, though, is going to be brutal. Probably one of the coldest ones to come this winter. Could even be below -10C when people are awake and about.

I kept my Winnipeg portable igloo jacket, might have to wear it lol:

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 22, 2024 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradFromTO View Post
Calgary could be getting some record breaking warmth over the weekend. 15 and sunny both days. That is going to feel downright hot after the crazy cold snap they had!

The record high for the 27th is 13.2, so it should cruise past that if the forecast holds up.

Highest January temperature is 17.6.
Wonder what the record is for biggest temperature swing in the same month? That's going to be over a 50C temperature swing if it holds up. I know that's kind of Calgary's thing, but still wild.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 1:50 AM
recession proof

Toronto looks like the raspberry/blueberry/lemon Paczki I saw at No Frills tonight: a light dusting of snow with mushy sidewalks.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 4:11 AM
Go Chiefs!

-1C with a wind chill of -8 and mainly cloudy. Sunnier early in the day.

Low of -12C (wind chill of -18) last night. The last bit of the cold wave has been eradicated.

The warmspot was Sheringham Point, BC at 9.6C.

Warmest low was Solander Island, BC at 8.2C.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 7:37 AM

Overcast with off and on showers.

Monday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 8 C, the low was 7 C.

English Bay Live Cam

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jueyfEAdjFk

Downtown Vancouver, Jan.22 '24, my pics

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 10:02 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I left one cold snap for another.

It was 8c in Taipei when I landed yesterday which is very cold for this part of the world. East Asia is experiencing some extremely cold temperatures right now.

It's the first time in over two decades of coming here that I didn't notice any difference in temperature between Vancouver and Taipei.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 11:43 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Schools are closed in some areas this morning due to the cold.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 1:53 PM

^ I'd guess that schools on the island are closed because of the light snow right now. Temperatures in Marystown are at 0 degrees, -2 in Corner Brook. However it is currently -29 in Churchill Falls, no thank you.

Currently some light snow and -2 in St. John's. Temperatures fall off a cliff this afternoon, with an expected overnight low of -16! Very cold day tomorrow too with highs near -9 before warming up a little bit.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:11 PM

Buses are canceled in SW Ontario due to freezing rain

Not bad in my immediate area, I see only a small accumulation of ice on tree branches, nothing like the ice storms of last year. it's currently raining and the temperature has hovered between 0.1 and 0.3 for the past 12 hours.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 4:27 PM

Going to be zero to one degree the whole day. I think there will be too much snow for it to melt later today. It will melt by tomorrow I’m sure but can’t leave the driveway like that until then. So today will be shovelling number two this season. Will have to go tobogganing today because probably won’t be possible after today. The hill won’t be very fast. That’s for sure.

Thin layer of ice on the harbour will be gone. Wondering if it will freeze properly this year.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 7:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

-2C and brilliant sunshine in Moncton at 3 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Wonder what the record is for biggest temperature swing in the same month? That's going to be over a 50C temperature swing if it holds up. I know that's kind of Calgary's thing, but still wild.
I would have to assume it would be near the record.

EC is now calling for a pretty shocking high of 17 on the 29th. We may be in striking distance of an record January high in Calagry.

In Toronto; currently 0 with wet snow that has been falling for the last few hours. The heavy, slushy gross stuff. It will start to melt as the snow turns to drizzle late this evening/early tomorrow afternoon.

The rest of the week will be mild, overcast and wet, followed by a quick cool down Sunday/Monday. Looks like we will get a very mild stretch the week after, with highs hovering around 5-7 for what looks to be a week straight.

7 day EC forecast: 3/5/9/6/0/-3

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada