HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:08 PM
I am the law!

The Leafs' championship is Matthews scoring 70 goals next season. No offense to past Canadian teams but, the Leafs golden opportunity to wear a Lord Stanley patch on their jersey was the Covid Canadian division and they blew it like every other year.

Sure this team can muster together one deep run but, so can the majority of the league.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:32 PM

So Utah Coyotes then?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
So Utah Coyotes then?
Utah doesn’t want the Coyotes rights - they want their own branding.

I have a feeling the NHL is going to be busy this offseason trying to find a new potential ownership group and then open expansion again at some point afterward. Word is that there are a couple of people/groups interested. I wonder if Matt Ishiba (Suns owner) would be interested in picking up the pieces. It would mean playing at Footprint Center again (ironically one of the early problems for the Coyotes. It could potentially be renovated to be more hockey-friendly, like what is happening with Delta Center in Utah, probably for less money than it would cost to build new.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Last edited by ericmacm; Jun 25, 2024 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:49 PM
Community Guy

So proud of the Oilers, but man o man this cuts deep.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 7:04 PM

Great news, Black Star. Certainly much more important than a Cup win by the Oilers. (You can truly say you for one wouldn’t sacrifice your firstborn to cancer in exchange for Edm winning the Cup!)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
At least My Kid Beat Cancer this year. Thank God. Pray...
That's awesome, Black Star. Last night's hockey game (no matter the outcome) is a measly nothing by comparison. Praying for continued good health for you and your family.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
At least My Kid Beat Cancer this year.
In the grand scheme of things, this is what matters most. I'm happy for you.
Always great to hear about someone beating cancer.

My mom lost her battle 4 months ago and I would give away all the Leafs past Stanley Cup wins and any possibility of future wins if I could just have 1 more month with her.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 9:13 PM
Great White Norf

thurmas, Berklon, Djeffery, myself and probably some others had the foresight to see SLC as home to a future NHL team.

Now it's happening

What do you guys think the team name should be?

Vote here:
https://segmedia.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...IPN5lOSijGkaFM

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I'd say 4 teams that can compete for a cup. Edmonton obviously, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Toronto. Ottawa should start to improve soon, too much talent to be bottom feeders. Montreal has a few more seasons, and my Flames will at least set a direction in the draft this weekend .
Winnipeg...I don't think so. That team cannot handle the pressure of the playoffs and they crash out in the first round.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Utah doesn’t want the Coyotes rights - they want their own branding.

I have a feeling the NHL is going to be busy this offseason trying to find a new potential ownership group and then open expansion again at some point afterward. Word is that there are a couple of people/groups interested. I wonder if Matt Ishiba (Suns owner) would be interested in picking up the pieces. It would mean playing at Footprint Center again (ironically one of the early problems for the Coyotes. It could potentially be renovated to be more hockey-friendly, like what is happening with Delta Center in Utah, probably for less money than it would cost to build new.
I've been doing a fair bit of following along this story and have suggested that in twitter conversations. A couple Phoenix media people I have interacted with have said that Mat Ishbia isn't interested in hockey, and that Phoenix isn't interested in spending more money on an arena after a couple hundred million into the current one a few years ago. And also that while rich, Ishbia isn't that rich to take on an NHL team and privately finance a new arena either. And I'm pretty sure he has a pretty long term lease at Footprint anyway. It only makes sense to have an NHL team in with an NBA team in the same building, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out, if at all. I don't imagine Bettman is going to give up on the Phoenix area, and at 72, he isn't going to stay in this job for that many more years. I could see this next round of expansion being his swan song and Phoenix and Atlanta will be thorns in his legacy he will want to fix (I have in my mind that Quebec City is part of that legacy, but less so than the former two).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 11:32 PM

I don’t watch hockey besides the Leafs, but I did watch the Oilers comeback in this series. Unbelievable effort to even it out. Oiler fans should be proud.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
thurmas, Berklon, Djeffery, myself and probably some others had the foresight to see SLC as home to a future NHL team.

Now it's happening

What do you guys think the team name should be?

Vote here:
https://segmedia.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...IPN5lOSijGkaFM
I was Team Yeti to start with, but have warmed to Mammoth. I've heard it said that Coyotes works well with Utah as well, but that was when Meruelo was retaining those rights, so obviously Utah moved on to their own ideas. And it's probably a good idea to come up with your own new name anyway (and I think if a new team goes to Phoenix, there will be a debate about keeping Coyotes or jettisoning that baggage and starting fresh as well).

No way does Utah keep "Utah HC" after the first year. They are going to want to capitalize on a second round of merchandising with a new name in the 2nd year.

As for Delta Center renovation. I'm still not sold they go that route. I know Smith said he was presented with some plans on how to do it, but you just look at it in hockey configuration and I can't imagine how they fix those sightlines. They have to roll back those lower level seats 53 feet on each end and what they are left with is about 8 rows of seats and about a 30 foot high wall, and the upper tier overhangs the ice at both ends. The sides have enough space to be able to install a lift system that drops those seats down to ice level when the basketball seats are removed. Smith made a great speech at his opening presser about wanting to do right by downtown SLC, but I think when push comes to shove, he's going to look at his soon to be 35 year old arena and the difficult expense of fitting hockey in there, and head to the suburbs like he originally planned.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 2:47 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Some good viewership numbers for Game 7 south of the border. 8M average up to 12M for the final 5 minutes. Apparently was the highest rated game not involving an original 6 team.

Disclaimer: That is all going from memory from what I heard on the radio today.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 3:17 AM

I feel like if any team could be an honourary original six team, it would be Edmonton. I don't have a good argument for that but it feels right.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Some good viewership numbers for Game 7 south of the border. 8M average up to 12M for the final 5 minutes. Apparently was the highest rated game not involving an original 6 team.

Disclaimer: That is all going from memory from what I heard on the radio today.
Apparently they beat out NBA and MLB.

Edmonton Police say the night ended quite peacefully.
Only 5 arrests for intoxication and one criminal mischief. Less than a normal weekend.

The series did drag people in. Even my SIL, who swears off all sports entirely. It was interesting to see her transition from sports scoffer to enthusiast.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 2:52 PM
arf

Quote:
Hahaha Corey Perry!
There's the silver lining.

Well, and Bob. Kudos to Bobrovsky. I thought he was given an unfair hard time a lot, but Florida stuck by him and he got them the solid outings in the finals to win the Cup.

Next on his list 400 regular season wins.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Winnipeg...I don't think so. That team cannot handle the pressure of the playoffs and they crash out in the first round.
They have struggled the last couple seasons, but they aren't Leafs bad in the first round. They did sweep the Oilers in the first round 3 seasons ago, just to get swept by Montreal after. Jets have potential for sure.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 7:05 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Hockey jerseys are just high fashion in Edmonton.
You can even tuck a mullet into the back of the jersey.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 7:07 PM
Community Guy

Year-end media conference on right now with the Oil.

Obviously early days, but lots of comments on players recognizing that there is something special in Edmonton and that will weigh considerably on their future decisions.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 7:11 PM

Quote:
They have struggled the last couple seasons, but they aren't Leafs bad in the first round. They did sweep the Oilers in the first round 3 seasons ago, just to get swept by Montreal after. Jets have potential for sure.
There are a few issues that need to be addressed to help with the confidence in the playoffs. We finished 4th in the league in regular season. The potential is certainly there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada