HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:01 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Good news for Ottawa and he Hens in general. Now, what are they planning to do with the correl centre? Of the scotiabank place or whatever it's called nowadays? Home Hardware Gardens? Will it become a huge white elephant?
Pretty sure the land is worth more as a subdivision than as a large building with no tenant.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I am not sure if it's been stated officially, but pretty sure that the Canadian Tire Centre/Scotiabank Place/Corel Centre/Palladium is destined for demolition once the new arena is ready.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Good news for Ottawa and he Hens in general. Now, what are they planning to do with the correl centre? Of the scotiabank place or whatever it's called nowadays? Home Hardware Gardens? Will it become a huge white elephant?
Video Link

Lol! On another note, I don't know that the plan is but Melnyk has stated that he had plans for the future of the old arena.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 9:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Latest image showing the interior of the new events centre in Moncton. The final reported seating capacity is 8,800.

That's the logo of the Moncton Wildcats down in the corner of the image.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Now brace yourselves for a decade worth of financing negotiations. I still bet Ottawa breaks ground before calgary reaches an agreement

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photo of the Moncton events centre, taken from the Crowne Plaza Hotel across the street:

T&T photo

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Garrioch: Opening Night for a Sens downtown arena could happen in October 2022

BRUCE GARRIOCH
Published on: January 25, 2018 | Last Updated: January 25, 2018 6:27 PM EST

Don’t start making your plans to take the LRT to Ottawa’s new downtown arena at LeBreton Flats just yet.

It’s going to be awhile.

It’s good news the RendezVous LeBreton Group — led by Senators’ owner Eugene Melnyk and John Ruddy of Trinity Developments — have now received the green light to finalize an agreement at LeBreton, but it’s going be another 12 to 18 months before the deal is completely papered.

Then, plans can begin to put shovels in the ground.

That means the cleanup of the land won’t begin until midway through 2019, in a best-case scenario. An 18,500*-seat arena — which is in the first phase of the project — could be completed in three years. That means, if all goes well, that Opening Night could be in October 2022.

But you have to think that with the the way wheels of government work, patience will be a virtue with this project.

Ruddy is aware of the difficulties and hurdles after being a key part of the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group’s redevelopment of Lansdowne Park. That was on a smaller scale and took seven years to get completed but he noted the Province of Ontario has changed the appeal process for large projects.

“Once you have municipal approval, there’s no appeal process, so that’s a significant change and that will result in less delays than we had at Lansdowne,” Ruddy said. “It’s a different situation here; it’s one where there’s a unanimous commitment from the major stakeholders who want to move this forward.”

Ruddy said talks to get everything in place will continue, but he feels putting the shovels in the ground midway through 2019 is realistic.

“It’s an ongoing process and we’re working (to get those done). There’s many aspects to the project, including getting entitlements from the city, and we’ve been working with them on an ongoing basis,” Ruddy said.

“Financing, we’re working on, and we weren’t able to include our arrangements because we only just concluded the deal structure with the NCC this past December, so we had have that in place. From that, we can move forward on this with the other parts of the project.”

The good news is the Senators and their faithful can start thinking about a downtown arena, because it’s taken a major step closer to becoming reality.

bgarrioch@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/sungarrioch
http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hock...6-093c5f1bdabb

* Plans are actually for 18,000 seats currently.

I think 2022 is a little optimistic. If I were to guess, I would say 2023, which would work out well as it would coincide with the full roll out of the Stage 2 O-Train expansion (60 km, 41 stations).

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:31 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Now brace yourselves for a decade worth of financing negotiations. I still bet Ottawa breaks ground before calgary reaches an agreement
Yupp, you are so correct.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:46 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

* Plans are actually for 18,000 seats currently.

I think 2022 is a little optimistic. If I were to guess, I would say 2023, which would work out well as it would coincide with the full roll out of the Stage 2 O-Train expansion (60 km, 41 stations).
Things take place on Ottawa-time, so my money's on 2025 at the earliest. 2027 is what I'm thinking.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 4:24 PM

Bettman is such a little weasel, MacLean asked him very good questions about the arena deal here and he sidestepped each of them with his vague BS.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:09 PM
Community Guy

Where Credit is Due

Every time I tell the Edmonton story, from Hangzhou to Helsinki, from roundtables of 10 to audiences of 1100, people are fascinated how we evolved the Edmonton brand and engaged our whole community in the process. They ask, “How did you guys do it? How did Edmonton manage its way through the recession so well? How did you evolve the brand in such a short period of time? How did you grab the attention of the media? How did you rise so fast in the rankings?”

Every time I’m asked, I stop and give pause, and I share an important story that seems to be forgotten – a story that gives credit to those who took the risk to fundamentally change the face of our city.

Five years ago, our city was at an impasse. City Council was divided over whether a downtown arena would generate the economic benefits that were being claimed, and Edmontonians were divided as to whether a partnership with Daryl Katz could be trusted and whether it would be in the best interest of our city.

https://brad-ferguson.com/2018/01/30...credit-is-due/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 2:37 PM

Eugene Melnyk, the Sens owner, went on a media tour (in Toronto after hiring a Toronto PR firm) and had one or two long distance interviews with reporters from Ottawa to do some damage control on comments he made last December during the NHL 100 Classic weekend (Lebreton Flats isn't all that important, he might cut player salaries, he might keep the arena in Kanata, might move it somewhere else in the region or maybe even in another city if fans didn't fill the CTC). This after the NCC and his Rendezvous Lebreton group (RVL) came to an agreement in principal to transfer the the Flats just west of Downtown Ottawa.

He says it was "unfortunate" his comments hit a nerve. To me, that's nowhere near the apology we deserve. It's quite insulting. He goes on to say Ottawa fans are some of the most passionate, and we heavily scrutinize management decisions, which is a good thing because otherwise it would be like a "dead zone" where the population doesn't care.

Melnyk did reiterate something very important; RVL will not be asking for taxpayers money for the arena or any other part of the project (with the exception of municipal infrastructure of course).

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200...chain-1.985087

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:01 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Photo of the Moncton events centre, taken from the Crowne Plaza Hotel across the street:

T&T photo
It's nicer than the bell centre.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 10:31 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
It's nicer than the bell centre.
True, but that's a pretty low bar.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 7:46 PM

Speaking of the Bell Centre, when will they be starting the arena's renovations and pedestrianization of L'Avenue des Canadiens?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 10:42 PM

Prospect of CFL Team in Atlantic Canada Excites Residents of Halifax
Insights West February 1st, 2018
Half of the city’s residents are in favour of using public funds to build a multi-purpose stadium for the new franchise.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 3:42 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are some recent photos of the interior of the new downtown events centre in Moncton NB (from the city of Moncton website). Sorry about their small size.

Arena

Club Lounge

Concourse with concessions (nice windows!!)

Main Lobby

Corporate Boxes

View of the arena from a corporate box

The arena is starting to look mostly finished on the inside (although there is still a lot of work to do). Grand opening is in about five months time.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 6:12 AM

It's a bit on the smaller side, but the U of S is currently in the midst of building a new arena for the Huskies and they released some photos today. The end product will have two rinks, two basketball courts, and a swimming pool. Main rink will seat 2,614 to start, but will eventually be expanded to 3,546, which should make for a pretty decent secondary venue for the city.

More photos can be found here: https://huskies.prestosports.com/gen...tos/0005/index

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
True, but that's a pretty low bar.
I was about to say - so is every other arena built in the last 20 years.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 1:01 PM

The Merlis Belsher Arena for the U of S will seat 3500 when it opens. They have secured the extra funding and will open with the full compliment of seats.

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Merlis_Belsher_Place

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada