HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 6:30 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I don't think it's a conflict to appreciate a type of development despite not personally wanting to live in it. Most people understand that there are other people whose tastes or circumstances are different and who either don't consider it a shitty experience, or consider it preferable to another more shitty alternative such as paying even more or living in a less convenient location. It would only be a conflict if we knew everyone else's taste was the same.

Personally, I don't think highrises necessarily make shitty living environments even for my personal taste. I do prefer having my own entrance to the outside, but I also like the amenities and common areas that many highrises offer as well as the locations they give access to. Depending on the specific unit, building, cost and location I could be fine with it. I'm not a fan of the current high prices, but I don't like expensive lowrises either.
I hate PoMo but I acknowledge quality unlike the vast majority of posters that dismiss it or modernism because it isn't to t heir personal tastes. Every book I've read infers what Toronto is building and has proposed is just wrong. It's backed up by the ill conceived high rise developments from the 1960s and 1970s that flounder as low cost housing. You think adding some streetwall with commercial usage and exponentially raising the density and not only shrinking but realigning units to be long and narrow over wide and short is an improvement? That's not to say there won't be those that like the environment. Some like Jacksonville's skyline over Torontos. However, the number of units built is more than that niche group can muster.

"could be fine with it" says everything about you. You're a skyscraper fan

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 6:55 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post

"could be fine with it" says everything about you. You're a skyscraper fan
All it really speaks to is your assumptions about people. I'm not a skyscraper fan; I'm an urbanism and general architecture fan which includes skyscrapers. Living in a skyscraper would generally not be my first preference but I'm pragmatic enough to accept trade-offs. That has nothing to do with liking skyscrapers. And while we generally get along well enough, making out that people are so simplistic that you can know everything about them based on one difference is definitely not... relationship enhancing.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 7:35 PM
I am the law!

I've communicated enough with you to formulate an opinion of you What you think you are is not something I see. You've done the same of me. An urbanist appreciates human scale which is contrary to you're support of crazy dense 65 storey extruded boxes with minimum allowable setbacks from the lot line. They don't consider a comfortably sized house in Riverdale with on site parking and a yard as elitist. Exclusionary zoning and protections are irrelevant if you consider these neighbourhoods the strength behind Toronto's quality of life. Exclusionary zoning only matters if you want them replaced with shitty multi-family closets. In our conversations, intensification to fulfill the explosive growth needs has taken prominence over the shitty living spaces being built. That's more a skyscraper fan than an urbanist. I've lived in apartments that pale in comparison to what is being developed today. I've had many apartment neighbours some I still see on Facebook. None live in high rises anymore. You've never tried it.

Germany's housing market is the one market as fucked up as Canadas. It's a terrible example as of this moment but, whatever. Most of my family lives in houses with yard. Only a few live in spacious low rise apartments. That is obtainable here with reasonable population growth. We don't have to emulate an even denser built high rise environment of China or South Korea

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 7:50 PM
Ham-burgher

What is that mirrored structure? It's been a while since I've been to Ottawa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
What is that mirrored structure? It's been a while since I've been to Ottawa.
Smoke stacks for the Federal Government District Energy plant. They have four across the region.

Here's what this one is suppose to look like when complete (with the shroud and boxes updated to a brown/bronze colour since). The project includes new public viewing platforms, stairs and elevators down to the bottom of the cliff.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-serv...iff-plant.html

A new plant is also u/c at Tunney's Pasture, complete with windows to the plant equipment and a roof top park.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-serv...ederation.html

And Gatineau, also u/c:

https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...esentation.pdf

The fourth is at Confederation Heights (mid-Century suburban Federal campus south of the Rideau River). This one will not be renovated.

EDIT: I guess there are five, with National Printing Bureau, Cliff and Tunney's being rebuilt.

https://www.facebook.com/PSPC.SPAC/p...01539188/?_rdr

Full SSP page on these related projects: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=243579

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 8:09 PM
sick transit, gloria

^Very cool! I had no idea that was going ahead - will have to check it out next time I'm in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 8:15 PM
Community Guy

A unique angle of Edmonton with Old Strathcona/Whyte Avenue in the foreground and Downtown et al. in the background.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 8:18 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Smoke stacks for the Federal Government District Energy plant. They have four across the region.
Thank you. I remember seeing posts about this, but I guess the stacks didn't stand out.

Have there been complaints about being blinded by the light?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 8:49 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
I've communicated enough with you to formulate an opinion of you What you think you are is not something I see. You've done the same of me. An urbanist appreciates human scale which is contrary to you're support of crazy dense 65 storey extruded boxes with minimum allowable setbacks from the lot line. They don't consider a comfortably sized house in Riverdale with on site parking and a yard as elitist. Exclusionary zoning and protections are irrelevant if you consider these neighbourhoods the strength behind Toronto's quality of life. Exclusionary zoning only matters if you want them replaced with shitty multi-family closets. In our conversations, intensification to fulfill the explosive growth needs has taken prominence over the shitty living spaces being built. That's more a skyscraper fan than an urbanist. I've lived in apartments that pale in comparison to what is being developed today. I've had many apartment neighbours some I still see on Facebook. None live in high rises anymore. You've never tried it.

Germany's housing market is the one market as fucked up as Canadas. It's a terrible example as of this moment but, whatever. Most of my family lives in houses with yard. Only a few live in spacious low rise apartments. That is obtainable here with reasonable population growth. We don't have to emulate an even denser built high rise environment of China or South Korea
It sounds like a lot of the conversations you've had with me are filtered through your own preconceptions which is something we all do to an extent. Stuff like, "I think skyscraper housing is bad for cities, yet this person doesn't oppose skyscraper housing making their views bad for cities, therefore they're not an urbanist". The problem is that this is simply your prescriptive vision of what an urbanist is, aka, what you think an urbanist should be, rather than a merely descriptive account which observes what an urbanist actually is. A descriptive account would simply observe people who are enthusiastic about cities and note what they actually express as their views.

Appreciating human scale doesn't mean that one only appreciates human scale and opposes anything else. Many urban cities have lots of large structures including skyscrapers, and therefore being an urban enthusiast can include an appreciation for them as well. At the same time, many small towns and rural areas have solely human scale structures with cities often being the sole domain of skyscrapers. So one could just as easily argue that someone who appreciates human scale over larger structures actually isn't an urbanist but rather a ruralist. I wouldn't make the argument since I believe an urbanist can enjoy different aspects and designs of cities but that view wouldn't be any less correct than one that excludes skyscrapers.

And the ironic part is that someone who totally denounced skyscraper housing and only wanted human scale lowrises could just as easily oppose detached houses near major city centres. Some of the densest cities in the western world like Barcelona and Paris are mainly human scaled and you have to go much further out before you get detached house areas. Having greater density so that more people can enjoy a city rather than just a privileged few is a much less elitist view than the opposite. Yet, having Toronto's current density with only human-scaled structures would inevitably mean far fewer detached houses since towers achieve that density while leaving more land for detached houses. And the fact that I'd prefer to see more human scaled density is big part of the reason why I hate having detached houses occupy so much land near the central part of metro areas.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 9:08 PM

Vancouver is arguably more "human scale" than any first-world city with that number of skyscrapers. It's not about size/height, but design sensitivity

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 9:19 PM

SkyTower @ 345 metres will join this view on the far left.

kotsy

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Thank you. I remember seeing posts about this, but I guess the stacks didn't stand out.

Have there been complaints about being blinded by the light?
Not yet, but I do wonder. Wonder about the birds too.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 11:14 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It sounds like a lot of the conversations you've had with me are filtered through your own preconceptions which is something we all do to an extent. Stuff like, "I think skyscraper housing is bad for cities, yet this person doesn't oppose skyscraper housing making their views bad for cities, therefore they're not an urbanist". The problem is that this is simply your prescriptive vision of what an urbanist is, aka, what you think an urbanist should be, rather than a merely descriptive account which observes what an urbanist actually is. A descriptive account would simply observe people who are enthusiastic about cities and note what they actually express as their views.

Appreciating human scale doesn't mean that one only appreciates human scale and opposes anything else. Many urban cities have lots of large structures including skyscrapers, and therefore being an urban enthusiast can include an appreciation for them as well. At the same time, many small towns and rural areas have solely human scale structures with cities often being the sole domain of skyscrapers. So one could just as easily argue that someone who appreciates human scale over larger structures actually isn't an urbanist but rather a ruralist. I wouldn't make the argument since I believe an urbanist can enjoy different aspects and designs of cities but that view wouldn't be any less correct than one that excludes skyscrapers.

And the ironic part is that someone who totally denounced skyscraper housing and only wanted human scale lowrises could just as easily oppose detached houses near major city centres. Some of the densest cities in the western world like Barcelona and Paris are mainly human scaled and you have to go much further out before you get detached house areas. Having greater density so that more people can enjoy a city rather than just a privileged few is a much less elitist view than the opposite. Yet, having Toronto's current density with only human-scaled structures would inevitably mean far fewer detached houses since towers achieve that density while leaving more land for detached houses. And the fact that I'd prefer to see more human scaled density is big part of the reason why I hate having detached houses occupy so much land near the central part of metro areas.
I never said 150 metre residential skyscrapers are bad for cities. I said it's bad for people. It's a difference. I still don't denounce high rise living. I denounce the high rises Toronto is building. You don't. There's nothing remotely human scaled about it and yet you're in full support of 55 Yonge and its neighbour. As I said, not one of the authors I've read would find this form of planning endearing and an urbanist, by definition, recognises planning run amok from forumers that emphasize height and broadly cancel single family housing for not housing enough population density

Toronto is not Paris or Barcelona. It is a 20th century city that built detached housing near the core that are among the most stable and desirable neighbourhoods. The units being built today in Toronto are so far removed from what to expect in Paris or Barcelona. Last thing is to reinvent Toronto neighbourhoods in some bastardised version of Paris.

Toronto doesn't need to add all these people every year particularly 50,000 more students and their partners in life that will live in a shed if it's cheap enough. I was a student once. Preserving its neighbourhoods from the onslaught is paramount. Intensification should be a community benefit. Building shoebox four plexes or mini cities of shoeboxes around transit stations reliant on existing community infrastructure is no benefit to anyone including those peering over the other side of the tracks at all the middle class elites with their modest homes and modest backyards. Toronto and all its inner city neighbourhoods are not built or is the city financially prepared to meet the explosive growth. These horrid transit oriented communities and approving 60 FSI supertalls are band aid solutions to the wide open tap by the inept Trudeau administration. The ineptitude is my opinion. I suspect we are on opposite ends here.

I'm done. Spend a few months in Toronto than we'll continue.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Jun 4, 2024 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 12:28 AM

The ssp law says I shouldn't stray off topic... but damn @kotsy is a great lenser (see above).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 1:59 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I took this on June 1st, on the Toronto Islands, you can just make out some of the taller buildings in the city:
Gone to the Wind by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
Gone to the Wind by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
This was taken today (cell pics)
Morning Call, Downtown by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
Morning Call, Downtown by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 2:36 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
I never said 150 metre residential skyscrapers are bad for cities. I said it's bad for people. It's a difference. I still don't denounce high rise living. I denounce the high rises Toronto is building. You don't. There's nothing remotely human scaled about it and yet you're in full support of 55 Yonge and its neighbour. As I said, not one of the authors I've read would find this form of planning endearing and an urbanist, by definition, recognises planning run amok from forumers that emphasize height and broadly cancel single family housing for not housing enough population density

Toronto is not Paris or Barcelona. It is a 20th century city that built detached housing near the core that are among the most stable and desirable neighbourhoods. The units being built today in Toronto are so far removed from what to expect in Paris or Barcelona. Last thing is to reinvent Toronto neighbourhoods in some bastardised version of Paris.

Toronto doesn't need to add all these people every year particularly 50,000 more students and their partners in life that will live in a shed if it's cheap enough. I was a student once. Preserving its neighbourhoods from the onslaught is paramount. Intensification should be a community benefit. Building shoebox four plexes or mini cities of shoeboxes around transit stations reliant on existing community infrastructure is no benefit to anyone including those peering over the other side of the tracks at all the middle class elites with their modest homes and modest backyards. Toronto and all its inner city neighbourhoods are not built or is the city financially prepared to meet the explosive growth. These horrid transit oriented communities and approving 60 FSI supertalls are band aid solutions to the wide open tap by the inept Trudeau administration. The ineptitude is my opinion. I suspect we are on opposite ends here.

I'm done. Spend a few months in Toronto than we'll continue.
I had to look up 55 Yonge to even remember which one it is, and... it's in the middle of the densest part of downtown. How the heck is someone going to make a development there human scaled? That area was a high density scale for a good century or more now. And why would they want to make it human-scaled? Is that even what people look for when they decide to move the downtown of a 6+ million metro? I can see that criticism making sense in a place where there are towers beside detached houses, but this is exactly where large towers make sense.

But sure, the dense areas of Paris and Barcelona are stable, because they're historic and already have land use that balances efficiency, beauty and quality of life (although Paris is notorious for having small "shoebox" apartments). I've never suggested that we try to emulate Paris in either architecture or density, only that you can value density and dislike detached housing in central areas without wanting skyscrapers. But if the idea is that density is bad unless it's historic and therefore there's no decent way to achieve it through newer development then yes, we're done. The whole concept of city building has failed and the only option is to drastically cut the global population by billions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Vancouver is arguably more "human scale" than any first-world city with that number of skyscrapers. It's not about size/height, but design sensitivity
That's a great point. I think another point that people often miss is that human scale isn't just about architecture but also about context. I don't consider anything to be human scaled if it isn't a reasonable walking to amenities and services. Needing mechanical assistance from a 1500kg piece of heavy machinery just to get to and from it isn't not human-scaled at all. It's similar to sustainability in architecture where some people obsess over LEED certification, renewable materials, etc. but then locate the building somewhere that everyone needs to drive to. So while a lot of residential skyscrapers are less human-scaled in terms of their architecture, they're more human scaled than many detached house areas in terms of their context. So the two can easily be equal in different aspects.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 10:14 AM
I am the law!

An urbanist isn't an enthusiast. It's one that takes planning principles into account. Those two proposals wedged on the Yonge Street frontage of that block is the worst form of residential development imaginable and not because it's not LMAO human scaled. This isn't even the nuances of established planning principles. This is the basic stuff. Represents overdevelopment of the sites affecting the quality of life of the inhabitants. Cafe Urbanite shutting down all those years ago was the worst thing for our community.

Than you go on about appreciating skyscraper housing even if you don't like it and follow that up by saying Toronto shouldn't have these single family homes so near the core because you don't like them. This is the historical nature of Toronto built form and identity. Paris built 66 foot multi-family over single family in its core. It still faced the same crisis of not enough housing/office being representative in those 66 foot buildings for the expanding modern metropolis. It chose not to block bust. Same for London.

And, yeah, selective intensification of these dastardly neighbourhoods with wide sweeping upzoning is a delusion. Homes will be assembled over the next decade or two and sold of to large scale developers because that is where the money is. Owners will be given a lease option or homes will be boarded up or rented out in an as is state in the interim

Skyscrapers earned their prowess through commercial usage. You're reliant on powered building systems to function. You can tell people to work from home if there is some sort of mechanical system failure at the office. You're stuck if it happens to your home.

The global economy is reliant on sales. Existing customers aren't enough despite everything now being designed to be trashed in ten years or less. It takes new customer acquisition. That's the fear behind stagnating or shrinking global populations. There wouldn't be enough buyers of tvs, refridgerators and, in Canada's case, homes. Kids growing up in one bedroom apartments in Toronto's entertainment district can't go outside and play tag. They won't see the stars or starlink satelites. They will see pale yellow skies more often than blue. People are social animals. There's a lot of middle ground between a hundred acre farm and the Entertainment District to socialize.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Jun 5, 2024 at 10:36 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 12:20 PM

View from Echo Apartments Ottawa. Image outdated by about 5 years.

https://echocanal.com/?gad_source=1&...SAAEgJvCvD_BwE

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 1:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are starting the third tower of the Three Sister complex in Moncton. Meanwhile, they are busy pile driving across the street for the "Two Brothers", supposedly 2x20 storeys (same developer). Downtown Moncton is being transformed!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:13 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
An urbanist isn't an enthusiast. It's one that takes planning principles into account. Those two proposals wedged on the Yonge Street frontage of that block is the worst form of residential development imaginable and not because it's not LMAO human scaled. This isn't even the nuances of established planning principles. This is the basic stuff. Represents overdevelopment of the sites affecting the quality of life of the inhabitants. Cafe Urbanite shutting down all those years ago was the worst thing for our community.

Than you go on about appreciating skyscraper housing even if you don't like it and follow that up by saying Toronto shouldn't have these single family homes so near the core because you don't like them. This is the historical nature of Toronto built form and identity. Paris built 66 foot multi-family over single family in its core. It still faced the same crisis of not enough housing/office being representative in those 66 foot buildings for the expanding modern metropolis. It chose not to block bust. Same for London.

And, yeah, selective intensification of these dastardly neighbourhoods with wide sweeping upzoning is a delusion. Homes will be assembled over the next decade or two and sold of to large scale developers because that is where the money is. Owners will be given a lease option or homes will be boarded up or rented out in an as is state in the interim

Skyscrapers earned their prowess through commercial usage. You're reliant on powered building systems to function. You can tell people to work from home if there is some sort of mechanical system failure at the office. You're stuck if it happens to your home.

The global economy is reliant on sales. Existing customers aren't enough despite everything now being designed to be trashed in ten years or less. It takes new customer acquisition. That's the fear behind stagnating or shrinking global populations. There wouldn't be enough buyers of tvs, refridgerators and, in Canada's case, homes. Kids growing up in one bedroom apartments in Toronto's entertainment district can't go outside and play tag. They won't see the stars or starlink satelites. They will see pale yellow skies more often than blue. People are social animals. There's a lot of middle ground between a hundred acre farm and the Entertainment District to socialize.
I think the bolded parts are the core of the misunderstanding. The first one, about taking planning principles into account. That's exactly what I do, and I can tell you as an actual planning major that planning principles do not just consider the housing tastes of the inhabitant. They balance that along with a variety of other things including (in no particular order):

- the environment (preservation of habitat, air emissions, paved surfaces, etc.)
- the cost of infrastructure
- public health & safety (exercise, road safety, addressing pollution / crime, etc.)
- resilience to change (climate, demographic, economic),
- the cost an quantity of housing
- politics and social dynamics (injustice, fairness, segregation etc.)
- the economics of the developer
- aesthetic beauty (of architecture and cityscape)
- transportation (the ability to get around)

We know that we need to aim for a balance between all of these sometimes competing priorities and that it sometimes requires compromises in one or all of these areas. If I were to just look at one or two aspects such as housing tastes or aesthetic beauty then the result would be far different.

And that gets to the second bolded part. I don't oppose restricting parts of metro areas to fully detached houses because of my personal feelings toward them. It's because they do a poor job at balancing these varying priorities. They do a good job at providing a desirable experience for some inhabitants (not everyone likes and wants that but many do). But it does poorly in balancing that with pretty much all the other things other than perhaps aesthetic beauty where detached houses vary greatly. Those priorities do ultimately come down to providing a positive experience for people, but just not as directly. A lot of it is longer term such as the future health of the environment that we all live in and the future cost to provide services and maintain infrastructure. None of these issues pertain to personal taste. It's like the difference with food when balancing flavour, cost, nutrition, food safety, and environmental impact. If you only care about one thing such as flavour, you'll neglect other equally important aspects.

The other thing is that in the planning field we try to avoid making absolute, universal statements about human nature and wants. There's a difference between physical issues like the effect of air pollution compared to psychological matters like the scale of architecture. We know there are prevailing trends, but there are always exceptions and people who want things that are different from the norm. So saying "X is good for people and Y isn't, so we'll only plan in manner X" takes away people's freedom to be individuals. Some people do enjoy density at a much greater level than typically ideal. Those people may enjoy a 55 Yonge situation. Just like others would consider a fully detached home in say, Wychwood, a nightmare with the houses too close together and being so close to city energy. For them, a small town or rural area would be ideal. Small towns and rural areas are available for the second person, and dense developments are available for the first.

And there's also just that life is messy. In the same way that someone might take on a job they don't like or work themselves longer and harder than they know is good for them because they really need the money, people will take on less than ideal housing because it's a means to an end. Some decide that not having the extra money would be worse for them than working a bad job or hectic schedule, and others decide that living in a particular type of housing is better than say, living further from work or family, being in a nabe they don't like, paying more money, or not having to wait much longer for a unit. I think that applies to a lot of people who may not even live in the city dealing with traffic and higher prices if it wasn't for their career or social connections etc. And a planner's role is not to take away such options but to give as many options as possible while balancing all the different priorities and realizing that perfection in one area can be the enemy of the big picture good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada