HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 12:02 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Something's gotta be done about that low building right behind the pavilion - at very least a new facade to serve as a better backdrop for the memorial from this angle. In fact, the brown building behind that could use a new exterior too.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
Something's gotta be done about that low building right behind the pavilion - at very least a new facade to serve as a better backdrop for the memorial from this angle. In fact, the brown building behind that could use a new exterior too.
i knmowit looks bad but thats not just a concrete slab thats actually limestone.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...t-de-photo.jpg

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 1:06 AM

It's going to be covered up anyway when they build tower 3 above ground.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Redesign of World Financial Center Includes Huge Food Market, and Restaurants
By GLENN COLLINS

O.K., it won’t exactly be a Disney food theme park, but it could bring some new culinary drama to Lower Manhattan. Specifically: a 25,000-square-foot marketplace abundant with fresh produce, meat, cheese, bread and coffee, not to mention wines. Adjacent will be six new restaurants plus 15 casual-dining outlets in a 30,000-square-foot space with 600 seats overlooking the Hudson River.

It will all be part of a $250 million redevelopment of the World Financial Center on West Street at ground zero, a plan that was unveiled Thursday by Brookfield Office Properties, the owner of the eight million-square-foot complex.

Brookfield is betting that there will be plenty of customers, “given the $20 billion private and public investment in Lower Manhattan,” said Ric Clark, chief executive of Brookfield. He said that the center will be a lure for a convergence of visitors: downtown tourists; the neighborhood’s affluent residential population; and office workers from 1 World Trade Center, under construction across the street, as well as a clutch of new office towers in addition to the thriving 7 World Trade Center.

The new marketplace will be “inspired by the great culinary markets in Europe,” said Melissa Coley, a spokeswoman for Brookfield, who described it as “a cross between Grand Central Market on steroids, and the ambiance of Eataly.”

She said that no contracts have yet been signed with restaurant or marketplace vendors, adding that dining there “will offer the best cuisine New York City has to offer.” Designers and architects of the restaurants and markets will be AvroKO, and BCV Architects, which designed the Ferry Building Marketplace in San Francisco. The lead broker for the restaurant and market vendors is Wade L. McDevitt.

The financial center and its palm-filled greenhouse dome, the Winter Garden, were damaged on Sept. 11, 2001, and underwent a $50 million reconstruction. Now a soaring new glass pavilion on West Street, principally designed by Rafael Pelli of Pelli Clarke Pelli and Omniplan, will link the redeveloped World Financial Center to the revamped New York City subway Fulton Street transit hub and the new PATH terminal near 1 World Trade Center, as well as Hudson River ferries to the west.

As it must, the development will also include high-end fashion retailers (some 40 of them) and a cornucopia of other retail offerings.

According to Brookfield, there are 60,000 residents in the neighborhood whose average household income is $120,000 a year, and 305,000 office workers currently in the area, which was visited by 15 million tourists last year. Construction is expected to begin next October, and will conclude in 2013, Ms. Coley said.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...al-blog480.jpg

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...d-restaurants/

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Last edited by SkyscrapersOfNewYork; Jun 17, 2011 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 4:45 PM
BROOKLYN

Pretty nice. Nothing special.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 5:20 PM

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 8:25 PM

From the looks of the webcam photo that I look at daily ( I know, I'm a loser, what can I say??) It looks like they've added about 6 - 8 trees around the front prints. That will be beautiful once all the trees are planted and taken root.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 10:47 PM
World Machine

If all goes as planned, the WFC will go through quite the transformation. The ‘corporate’ like atmosphere in the public areas will be eliminated. I’m really curious as to what the tenant roster will look like at that point. My feeling is that Merrill and Nomura will part ways which will leave a lot of space open for new occupants.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 5:36 PM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 2:04 PM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 3:45 PM
Grand is Golden!

That last pic is great, I love it. It puts everything into motion. In this case, we have Tower 2's steel rising to grade, Tower 4 with the glass, and a crane at Tower 3. And do I have to mention the Memorial?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 4:07 PM

Great updates SONY, that one with 1 Wall, 40 Wall, and 20 Exchange is great. The progress is really very impressive.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 4:16 PM

Sorry for the double post. Didn't really know where else to post this since it doesn't mention any one WTC building in particular, but any news like this is good news.

Morgan Stanley to World Trade Center?

By Laura Kusisto 6/17 6:23pm

Following a shocker from a couple of weeks back that UBS is considering moving some of its offices from Stamford, Conn., to the World Trade Center (if only for the sake of the social lives of those poor, young traders raking in six-figure salaries) comes another rumor that a major bank is checking out the shiny new towers under way.

A source said that Morgan Stanley, which is in the market for 800,000 square feet, has also kicked around the idea of a move to the World Trade Center site—as sure a sign as any that the center could once again become integral to the country’s finance industry.

Well, not so fast, said another source, who noted that Larry Silverstein is in no hurry to sign tenants right now, preferring to wait until towers two, three and four are closer to completion and he can fetch rents possibly into the triple digits per square foot on the upper floors.

Meanwhile, it was earlier reported that Morgan Stanley was mulling a move to Goldman’s dowager former headquarters at 85 Broad Street, but a source close to the matter said the bank is not negotiating there.

For now, our money is on a renewal at Brookfield’s 1 New York Plaza. It might not have quite the views of its shimmering WTC counterpart, but there’s always been something to be said for the familiar.

A call earlier to Morgan Stanley’s broker, Newmark Knight Frank’s Barry Gosin, was not returned.

http://www.observer.com/2011/06/morg...-trade-center/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 6:32 PM

WTC Twitter account

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 6:42 PM
Back to Basics

I was never fond of the imagery implied with these pools. To me, with your loved one's name on the edge and then the water falls away from you then swirls around and goes down the drain. Kind of an unpleasant metaphor for losing a loved one: Their memory goes down the drain.

I would have preferred if the water then shot up a hundred feet or more from the center in tall square fountains, to raise they eye and give a more uplifting finality to the emotion.

Just my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 7:57 PM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
I was never fond of the imagery implied with these pools. To me, with your loved one's name on the edge and then the water falls away from you then swirls around and goes down the drain. Kind of an unpleasant metaphor for losing a loved one: Their memory goes down the drain.

I would have preferred if the water then shot up a hundred feet or more from the center in tall square fountains, to raise they eye and give a more uplifting finality to the emotion.

Just my opinion.
Dang, never thought of that, Traynor. I felt a chill running up my back when I read that.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 8:39 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post

Just my opinion.
Exact opposite of my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 9:31 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Likewise. I love the pools. Really a true homage to the towers. I dont think a better concept exists.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 12:14 AM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
... I dont think a better concept exists.
I think that is a bit of a stretch.

"In your opinion, you can't think of anything better to please your taste."

Would be a less hyperbolic way of stating your preference.

Anyway...

I noticed on the HD Webcam that a portion of the Intake/Exhaust vents have been covered. This is the best screen capture I could get.

(Screen capture from closeup of HD Webcam found here: http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm )

Last edited by Traynor; Jun 21, 2011 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 1:21 AM
BANNED

I wonder if that's the final texture for the facade?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture