HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:19 AM

Stopped by Ava today in the arts district. Thing is massive. Will have a great impact on walkability and connectedness in the area. Also, looks like they are renovating a smaller building down the street.

Last edited by Radio5; Jan 3, 2023 at 5:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:22 AM

Where is Ava? The Arts District?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Where is Ava? The Arts District?
yes, on industrial

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:38 AM

Not sure how we lived before the Mitsui building. Looking great and fills an important space.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 8:16 AM

how did we live before the mitsui apt tower? hey, how did we live before all of this had been filled in?

binge/youtube.com

Video Link

Although dtla at the start of 2023 does remain an ongoing work in progress, it's better in certain ways than it was 10, 20, 50 yrs ago. In some key ways, it's better than it was from LA's early yrs back in the late 1800s, early 1900s. However, many cities throughout the US & world are also upping their game, as everyone is in it to win it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Not sure how we lived before the Mitsui building. Looking great and fills an important space.

Even with Oceanwide Plaza sitting unfinished, just the fact that it's there makes me feel better.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 5:14 PM
Ascension

The saga of Oceanwide Plaza would make for a hell of a 5 episode Netflix documentary.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 5:29 PM

The big concrete pour is happening now at 1000 Hill

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 7, 2023 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 10:52 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Nice! Just in time for it to cure before the next storm hits so they can start iron-work and framing for the beginning of the core.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Nice! Just in time for it to cure before the next storm hits so they can start iron-work and framing for the beginning of the core.
The storm will hit Monday night or early Tuesday....can it cure that fast? Might see 2 inches of rain or more. Another storm by the weekend. I guess they could cover it with plastic sheeting, a tarp or something if they need to, or siphon off standing rainwater. Maybe they have drains to get rid of it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=hughfb3;9832831]The big concrete pour is happening now at 1000 Hill

I cringe at pine trees in DTLA. Anyway this is further evidence that Onni group should get favored status when it comes to permitting, approvals, exceptions, funding and design competitions. The city should use track records of development as a criteria for fast tracking and VIP treatment. Their designs don’t suck (comparatively) and they actually get things built.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:08 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ I would argue that the design of their latest two-tower development at 12th and Flower does, in fact, suck. Massing and programming is fine, but the facade materials used are bottom of the barrel, and it shows - up close and from afar. I like Onni, but I think the City needs to hold them to higher design standards.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ I would argue that the design of their latest two-tower development at 12th and Flower does, in fact, suck. Massing and programming is fine, but the facade materials used are bottom of the barrel, and it shows - up close and from afar. I like Onni, but I think the City needs to hold them to higher design standards.
12th and Flower...especially on the inside is VERY nice. Even when you pull in to pick up/drop off someone, it looks like a Vegas hotel. To say it sucks...corny. IMO. We are both entitled to our own opinion.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
The big concrete pour is happening now at 1000 Hill
When I moved to 825 S Hill I chose my apartment view in part so I could watch this going up. Years later this breaks ground 2 years late and I'm gone after mostly just getting to see them dig an 85ft deep hole.

Now I'll have to enjoy the updates here. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
I cringe at pine trees in DTLA.
Personally, I think evergreens in dtla are great. Although not every street should have them, I also think they're a nice change of pace from things like Indian ficus trees. Also, pine trees in dt give it an interesting alpine spin.

Quote:
Construction got underway last year on the downtown L.A. Seventh Street Streetscape project, featuring the first L.A. City curb-protected bike lanes, including the city’s first curb-protected intersections. The mile-long project will extend from San Pedro Street to Figueroa Street.

la.streetsblog.org

I realize that too many ppl in LA city govnt & LA city hall are into the notion of 'this is why we can't have nice things'. Or 'who cares?!' But now that Union Station has water in it, can water start running again in the Grand Park mall & DWP bldg?

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

^ I realize that water sources in CA are still suffering from drought & that Lake Mead in nevada is very low. But I bet the water features in dtla have been switched off more for political reasons than for any tactical or technical advantages....but that's assuming the moat & fountains of the dwp bldg & the main fountain in the Grand Park mall aren't using 10 million gallons of water per yr.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
But now that Union Station has water in it, can water start running again in the Grand Park mall & DWP bldg?
I thought the same thing yesterday. Fountains get to be on! We just get to implement better ways of capturing all the water that nature gives us when it comes... if its all in one dump or scattered. Hello Piggyback yard wetlands, LA River, Bioswales, etc

Pretty significant weekend for projects progressing

The Library Tower slide and false work have finally come down

AC/Moxy

1000 Hill post Saturday concrete pour

Pedestrian protecting scaffolding was placed just before the pour. They are ready for it to rise now

Last edited by hughfb3; Jan 12, 2023 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 5:51 AM

^ thanks for the additional pics...when I last dropped by this thread, you had just posted the image of the top of the us bank tower, which is nice but not too different from the way it looked over 5, 10 yrs ago. Although when it first opened in 1989, I recall the logo on its top was for First Interstate bank & was in all gold lettering...or something like that...& nicer.

As for struggling to keep other things nice or in working shape in dtla, notice how the dwp itself, when it made a 50th anniversary video of its own bldg, couldn't even have the Ferraro bldg's fountains on both the north & south sides running at the same time. In 2015, only the geysers to the north were operating. More recently, forget even those fountains....the entire moat has been kept bone dry.

Video Link

I sometimes think the ppl managing or supervising LA...dtla included...want its official motto to be: "This is why we can't have nice things". Or, "We don't give AF"

EDIT: I just watched that entire vid & towards the end one of the dwp's employees says about the fountains, "we don't even have them on anymore..." No wonder the city is now keeping the moat dry too. Again, LA's official motto should be: "We don't give AF".

Last edited by citywatch; Jan 13, 2023 at 6:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 11:19 PM

This morning's sunrise, from LA Reddit:

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
This morning's sunrise, from LA Reddit:

awesome pic

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 4:33 AM

Gorgeous photo from Craigs.

Update from the Arts District. Carmel Partners' Tower is rising

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations