HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Hire more officers with the money from the fines.
Quote:
Another option is a commercial vehicle congestion charge within the 407 that is higher than the cost of end to end use of the 407. Easier to set up. Easier to enforce.
Ridiculous idea. What about local deliveries? Do we have that many willing police officers? Unless we are going to start becoming like the US and have fine quotas, is this a good use of public money?

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 8:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectionNorth View Post
Ridiculous idea. What about local deliveries? Do we have that many willing police officers? Unless we are going to start becoming like the US and have fine quotas, is this a good use of public money?
Because hugely convoluted, unworkable, labour-intensive, ineffective, and general pain-in-the-ass solutions are our specialty here at SSP?

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 10:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Read higher up and you will see that local deliveries is exactly what would be allowed. So, it could be set up that if 2 different locations are seen for the same truck, like 401 west of Milton and 401 east of Bowmanville, then you pay the fee. If it is the same one, no fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Because hugely convoluted, unworkable, labour-intensive, ineffective, and general pain-in-the-ass solutions are our specialty here at SSP?

And I for one enjoy them. Gives me the chance of being King for a day.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:15 AM

View of the 407 looking easterly from Lake Ridge Road in Whitby:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...un22_24x16.jpg

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
View of the 407 looking easterly from Lake Ridge Road in Whitby:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...un22_24x16.jpg
Why is it cracking so quickly?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:33 AM

^ There are a number of factors that can affect pavement wear. The mix consistency, the weather conditions that it was applied on, ect. In general the pavement on the 407 has aged more or less as expected.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
^ There are a number of factors that can affect pavement wear. The mix consistency, the weather conditions that it was applied on, ect. In general the pavement on the 407 has aged more or less as expected.
And this is why we have the infrastructure problem. We have lowered our standards and allowed this kind of wear to be permitted after such a short time.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 4:06 AM
BANNED

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/c...ource=facebook

A simple accident at a location I knew would be problematic has finally ended, after over 8 hours. Ironically, the shortest detour is 8 hours long....
When someone wonders why Northern ON cries fowl on the infrastructure spending, it is things like this that clearly point it out.
Find a way around the Spanish River bridge on Highway 17.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/c...ource=facebook

A simple accident at a location I knew would be problematic has finally ended, after over 8 hours. Ironically, the shortest detour is 8 hours long....
When someone wonders why Northern ON cries fowl on the infrastructure spending, it is things like this that clearly point it out.
Find a way around the Spanish River bridge on Highway 17.
Depends on the cost-benefit ratio. How many hours are lost to accidents on the 17, compared to, say, the 401 between London and Kitchener? How much will it cost to mitigate either?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 12:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Depends on the cost-benefit ratio. How many hours are lost to accidents on the 17, compared to, say, the 401 between London and Kitchener? How much will it cost to mitigate either?
It would cost billions of dollars to provide an alternate route since one would be building a parallel highway for most of 17 and 11.

London-Kitchener has alternate routes because it's in farm country (easy to build/farms need access) and there are hundreds of thousands of people living there.

Some people live in the boonies and expect things like divided highways everywhere, rail service, and major metro hospitals in podunksville. "BUT THEY GET IT IN THE SOUTH!" goes the refrain. Yeah, because millions of people live there in closely spaced major cities, not thousands strung along thousands of kilometres of highways in the boonies. Double points for those who live in unorganized areas and pay peanuts in property taxes, yet expect large city municipal services.

But yes, I expect the brigade to cry "Bird!" whenever they are inconvenienced. That being said, government can easily ignore them, because most (a) Accept that living in the boonies has trade-offs and don't whine, and (b) The handful who do complain are just a handful.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 1:12 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I don’t think @swimmer_spe necessarily implies all of TCH though. He may be referring to the particular stretch from Espanola to Sudbury (or even to North Bay…?).
Maybe the stretch between Verner and North Bay just needs a few more sets of passing lanes for now (even though I’d like to see 4 lanes too).
Around Sudbury… hmm… maybe same thing, or even twinning. There’s technically been talk of a new freeway between Sudbury and Espanola, by the way.
Even if twinning isn’t warranted right now, small things like geometry improvement can still proceed. What I notice is that, whenever there’s a bad accident around that stretch, it’s been always around the same spot. I need to check the streetview later but to me this smells of geometry deficiency that needs fixing. It’s just like how MTO has straightened the stretch between Markstay-Warren and Hagar (JCT 535), even if that meant a 10-m rock cut.
Mind you, MTO does spent $$$ on improving the geometry of 17, be it in NWO or along Lake Superior Shore, from time to time.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 3:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I don’t think @swimmer_spe necessarily implies all of TCH though. He may be referring to the particular stretch from Espanola to Sudbury (or even to North Bay…?).
Maybe the stretch between Verner and North Bay just needs a few more sets of passing lanes for now (even though I’d like to see 4 lanes too).
Around Sudbury… hmm… maybe same thing, or even twinning. There’s technically been talk of a new freeway between Sudbury and Espanola, by the way.
Even if twinning isn’t warranted right now, small things like geometry improvement can still proceed. What I notice is that, whenever there’s a bad accident around that stretch, it’s been always around the same spot. I need to check the streetview later but to me this smells of geometry deficiency that needs fixing. It’s just like how MTO has straightened the stretch between Markstay-Warren and Hagar (JCT 535), even if that meant a 10-m rock cut.
Mind you, MTO does spent $$$ on improving the geometry of 17, be it in NWO or along Lake Superior Shore, from time to time.
I am talking about only the sections that cannot be routed around. Spanish River Bridge and Nipigon River Bridge are the 2 that really come to mind.
I am also not suggesting it even at highway standards. I am suggesting an all weather road that is plowed, even in winter. It could even be gravel surface.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 6:26 PM
User Registered

Well at least some sections of 11/17 where there's only one road across Canada are being twinned... slowly.

That way if there is a serious collision / incident on the highway - you could close that direction and make the other direction two-way temporarily.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 10:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Well at least some sections of 11/17 where there's only one road across Canada are being twinned... slowly.

That way if there is a serious collision / incident on the highway - you could close that direction and make the other direction two-way temporarily.
You mean how a design flaw closed the Nipigon River Bridge? It was twinned.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 3:13 AM
User Registered

lol well that's kind of a half-assed twin. If they had 2 separate bridges then there would be redundancy. But nooooooooooooooo they had to go all fancy and be the laughing stock of Nordic bridge designers.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 3:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
lol well that's kind of a half-assed twin. If they had 2 separate bridges then there would be redundancy. But nooooooooooooooo they had to go all fancy and be the laughing stock of Nordic bridge designers.
Or a bridge could be built at the end of Highway 585.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 5:04 AM
BANNED

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...ions-1.6497658

"Northeast OPP ask for patience when highways are closed for crash investigations"

My question is how can we speed the process up without losing the quality of investigation needed?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 1:01 AM

Photos of Highway 7300, as it crosses the Spanish River at Massey, just south of Hwy 17. This bridge is set to see a major rehabilitation project commence in the next few years.

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/7000/...ct17_24x16.jpg

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:14 AM

Just drove through Spanish yesterday. There was an accident near there and I had to wait for almost two hours. So I drove up to Elliot Lake to check it out as I hadn't been there in a long time.

The North Shore of Lake Huron is often ignored even though Hwy 17 goes through it and is quite scenic. You just have to leave the highway in a number of places.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario