HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 12:35 AM
TL;DR

Johnny Rockets? Huh? They only go in the cheesiest tourist-trap malls. I'm surprised there isn't one in Jax Brewery or the Riverwalk.

I'd like to see CC's over PJ's or Starbucks, but that's just personal preference. I love Caribou too, but people here are attached to the local chains (which is why Starbucks still are pretty infrequent here). Definitely Chipotle. How about Five Guys? New Orleans doesn't have any decent burgers - the best I've had is Clover Grill, which is only really practical if you're drunk and don't mind waiting 40 minutes.

How about urban locations of Chik-fil-A or Cane's? It's always surprised me how these restaurants don't have locations in the city, considering the, uh, ready-made customer base for fried chicken.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 4:34 AM
-

I think a Raising Canes is definitely likely. Izzos Illegal Burrito is another one. Im sure there are plenty of non chain things that could go in there which is fine by me. Wouldnt be surprised to see a dave and busters or Cheesecake Factory though.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 2:33 PM
-

New Student Center on Bidclerk
Description Site work and new construction of a multi-residential development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the demolition of an existing student center in order to construct a new three-story, 82,000-square-foot residence hall and student ce...Click here for complete Project Details

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.1067513.html

This project looks to be for DDAY Museum

Project Description
Site work and addition to a museum in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for a 35,000-square-foot expansion to an existing historical museum that will house an air, land and sea pavilion to honor military branch services. ..

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.1356120.html

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Description Site work and new construction of a multi-residential development in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the demolition of an existing student center in order to construct a new three-story, 82,000-square-foot residence hall and student ce...Click here for complete Project Details

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.1067513.html

This project looks to be for DDAY Museum

Project Description
Site work and addition to a museum in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for a 35,000-square-foot expansion to an existing historical museum that will house an air, land and sea pavilion to honor military branch services. ..

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.1356120.html
As mentioned before by someone, drove by WWII museum today and piles already being driven for the next expansion. Will be the Land, Air and Sea Pavilion.

The expansive United States Freedom Pavilion: Land, Sea & Air will honor all of the service branches who served in the war and will display the large artifacts that served our country on land, on sea and in the air, including a restored Boeing B-17 and immersive submarine experience representing the USS Tang.

Will also be renovating the building adjacent to Victory Theatre into the Restoration Pavilion...

Last edited by sguil1; Dec 11, 2010 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 2:51 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
This is for Loyola. There aren't any definite plans yet - this is just for a really rough estimating purpose.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 9:11 PM
-

You sure ? I actually thought this was for Xavier!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 3:44 PM

More news surrounding the street car and Loyola development:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...etcar_has.html

It also again mentions the Plaza tower being under contract again. Guess we will see if that works out very soon.

Also, a neat article about Freret street as well.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...nce_bring.html

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 7:02 PM
-

So at least we know what is going on with the Rault Center now.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 8:39 PM

Nice map of all the new developments. Great to hear about the Rault Center and also the renovation of the Holiday Inn.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 2:59 AM

Glad to finally hear what is going on with the Rault Center.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 3:50 AM
TL;DR

Wait, what's going on with the Holiday Inn?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 4:24 AM

According to the above article, the Holliday Inn Superdome will be undergoing much-needed renovations.

The Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome will undergo a major renovation both to make sure it's fresh when the Hyatt opens and because the hotel believes it will have new appeal to visitors, who will be able to take the streetcar back from the French Quarter without what some would view as a scary late-night walk.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 6:57 AM

These Domain guys are local visionaries. They built all those buildings around Tulane Avenue when nobody else would, and now they're overhauling a huge derelict swath of the CBD. Extraordinary.

Two thoughts: First, doesn't it seem like having the Hornets playing 42 nights a year in the nearby arena is important for making this a vibrant area? Second, how much concern should we have that all these new apartment buildings and condos will result in more blight in the city's historic houses? Should that be a real concern? Anybody have an idea?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 2:44 PM
-

I dont think its a huge concern at all. One of the things to remember about some of these developments is that they are creating a bigger pie. In general, those who want to live in single family housing will. However, there are many that want more urban style living without the hassles of any maintenance and want to be within walking distance of everything they need(3-4blocks). Development begets more development.

BTW saw a sign for a new casual restaurant called "TOSS" and no joke the info for the place says they want to Toss your salad. LOL. Menu looked good too.

Project Description
Tenant improvements for an existing retail development in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the renovation of an existing 20,000-square-foot retail store into 15,000 square feet of grocery space and 5,000 square feet of financial or pharma...

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.1111613.html

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 5:16 AM

Divided Planning Commission rejects high-rise proposal on Canal Streethttp://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ission_re.html

Doesn't get any dumber that this!!! Please explain to me why a developer can't build a 20 story highrise with mixed retail/parking/condos on Canal Street (which is lined with highrises on the French Quarter side and the CBD side). I'm all about protecting the French Quarter but the article clearly states that this is not in the Vieux Carre district. So your saying we can't build highrises in the FQ or NEAR the FQ. Whats worse is that this is the exact area of Canal that we are trying to take back from blight, proposed by the Kailas group that developed the Krauss Condos. Hopefully the city council has enough insight to vote for the much needed development in that area..."The final decision is up to the City Council. The site is in Councilwoman Kristin Gisleson Palmer's district, and the council is likely to go along with her recommendation. The council has until early February to act." I'm open for argumets on why this shouldn't get built.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 5:41 AM
-

I am ok with the building but the Kailas' have a bad reputation. The Kailas tower sits downtown and they still havent done anything with that. They are known as slumlords so I dont know what to think about them building it. Obviously Id prefer a taller building that was more slender as the shadow would be minimized !

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 5:49 AM

I don't know much about the developers but I do know that the woolworth building is a huge eyesore, and right next to the soon to be restored Saenger theatre. Also the Krauss condos project in that area was a success.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 3:18 PM

The Kraus is pretty much full. Don't know how many of the condos have sold. But it is sucess and people are paying top dollar to live next to a project.

I say let them proceed. I think their overly optomistic about the retail aspect, but its the US, business should be allowed to make their own mistakes.

I think this is a much better project for "FQ integrity" than the Royal and Canal street tower that was shot down.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 4:59 PM

Saenger Theatre

Speaking of the Saenger, I saw this on the news last night.

Construction set to begin on Saenger renovation

NEW ORLEANS -- Two years after announcing a public-private partnership to redevelop the Saenger Theatre, construction crews are about to begin the historic renovation.

This week, workers began doing pre-construction work at the site.

The lights are on at the theater, but for the past two years, no one has been home at the Saenger. In January 2009, Mayor Ray Nagin announced construction on the theater's historic renovation would start in the fall of that same year.

Instead, they lit up the marquee.

Nearly two years after the city first signed the deal with the Saenger's Houston-based owners, the lights have been the only things moving at the Saenger. That is, until now.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/physicalwo...111880919.html

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 5:35 PM

I actually understand if some are against the royal cosmopolitan. It is actually set back a few blocks off Canal on Royal in the quarter. It would not add much to Canal overall. This proposal is ON Canal street! How exactly will this effect the quarter negatively. I say Canal is one of the most important streets in the city, why should its revitalization suffer because its "next" to the FQ.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations