HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Here's the NCC's website on the selection and full report with ratings for each criteria:

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/projects/the-o...al-site-review

https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...appendices.pdf

The site chosen was rated "poor", but when reading the text under each criteria, it seems the NCC did see some potential.

The NCC's rank des not seem to take into consideration the fact that much of the site was used for parking and temporary buildings for much of its existence. It also dosen't seem to take into consideration the needs of the hospital, which is a pretty significant omission.

I realize this may fuel the fire from opposers like GeoNerd, but since I found the report, I feel like I have to post it.
Where are you seeing the “poor” rating? It’s a lot of pages, but I only saw the chosen site being rated as poor under the heritage appendix on p 56 (where the “very good” rating is reserved for the sites out on Hunt Club).

Edit: Sorry, didn't see your follow up post. My recollection was that the overall rankings between the two sites were very close as per the last appendix, but apparently I bailed before I got to page 255.

It's also amusing that in the pros for Tunney's they mention road access, whereas the hospital itself was opposed to the site partly on the basis of poor accessibility, and the fact that it is not centrally located. Also, on the con side, they don't mention proximity to the Heart Institute at all, which was a key factor in the hospital's objection. Hard to know who is to blame there - the NCC for getting the hospital's criteria wrong, or the hospital for signing off on an incomplete set of criteria.

Last edited by phil235; May 20, 2022 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Where are you seeing the “poor” rating? It’s a lot of pages, but I only saw the chosen site being rated as poor under the heritage appendix on p 56 (where the “very good” rating is reserved for the sites out on Hunt Club).

Edit: Sorry, didn't see your follow up post. My recollection was that the overall rankings between the two sites were very close as per the last appendix, but apparently I bailed before I got to page 255.

It's also amusing that in the pros for Tunney's they mention road access, whereas the hospital itself was opposed to the site partly on the basis of poor accessibility, and the fact that it is not centrally located. Also, on the con side, they don't mention proximity to the Heart Institute at all, which was a key factor in the hospital's objection. Hard to know who is to blame there - the NCC for getting the hospital's criteria wrong, or the hospital for signing off on an incomplete set of criteria.
The document is a little hard to read. You're right; I initially was only looking at the heritage appendix, and i too, skipped over page 255 the first time around, which provides a great overall summary.

Those who defended the NCC's process should now see that Tunney's and the Dow's Lake site were pretty close. Dow's Lake seems to have been a pretty solid second choice.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 12:47 PM

Cross-post - new Gatineau Hospital will occupy a roughly rectangular 74 acres, while the larger Civic Hospital will be built on an odd shaped 40 acre plot of land.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...q-campus-sante

https://reimagineottawa.ca/new-civic...ing%20hospital.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Cross-post - new Gatineau Hospital will occupy a roughly rectangular 74 acres, while the larger Civic Hospital will be built on an odd shaped 40 acre plot of land.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...q-campus-sante

https://reimagineottawa.ca/new-civic...ing%20hospital.
The difference between a future money-pit parking garage, and simple surface parking.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
The difference between a future money-pit parking garage, and simple surface parking.

The current parking garage covered by vegetation with a park-retail-washrooms on top is a good compromise compared to a ridiculously expensive and challenging underground garage, or a vast surface parking lot; land is at a premium, climate change (heat islands), long distances to the hospital.

If the plan in Gatineau really is a massive surface parking, a parking garage would likely be cheaper than expropriating and de-contaminating a couple dozen extra acres.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 1:17 PM

Quote:

The current parking garage covered by vegetation with a park-retail-washrooms on top is a good compromise compared to a ridiculously expensive and challenging underground garage, or a vast surface parking lot; land is at a premium, climate change (heat islands), long distances to the hospital.

If the plan in Gatineau really is a massive surface parking, a parking garage would likely be cheaper than expropriating and de-contaminating a couple dozen extra acres.
It would be a shame if Gatineau decides to cover prime central land with surface parking.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
It would be a shame if Gatineau decides to cover prime central land with surface parking.
Prime central land? An industrial area covered in asphalt with some warehouses and mechanics?

I really hope the "health campus", as Québec's government is calling it, will be dense, but I imagine it will be like the Civic, with some surface lots covering parts of the land before full build out is achieved.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelnoz View Post
Prime central land? An industrial area covered in asphalt with some warehouses and mechanics?

I really hope the "health campus", as Québec's government is calling it, will be dense, but I imagine it will be like the Civic, with some surface lots covering parts of the land before full build out is achieved.
I was more referring to the location of the parcel than what is currently on it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 2:18 PM

A major project, with major impact: Ottawa’s new hospital to pump billions into city’s economy

OBJ360 Content Studio
June 27, 2022

The Ottawa Hospital (TOH)’s planned 2.5-million-square-foot, $2.8B healthcare facility at Dow’s Lake will be a significant economic driver for the city, according to a recent Deloitte report.

Along with injecting nearly $2 billion into Ottawa’s economy, the new hospital will create more than 4,000 full-time jobs over the four-year project, driving about $1.24 billion in labour income.

That’s a significant economic boost on top of the project’s other benefits, including the socio-economic advantages of having a state-of-the-art facility in the heart of the city, explains Nathalie Cadieux, executive vice-president of finance and business development at TOH.

“We know over 2,000 trade workers will come on-site every day, on average,” she says. “They’re going to spend money in the community. It’s going to drive a lot of local business and bring additional revenues to the residents of Ottawa.”

The report says every dollar spent on hospital construction will contribute an estimated $0.72 of value-added benefits to Ottawa’s economy and create or sustain approximately two full-time jobs in the city.

But that’s just the beginning of the new hospital’s future economic impact, which will be felt long after the final construction work is complete.

Already one of the world’s top smart hospitals, TOH’s new campus will increase the city’s value proposition as a destination for further health sciences and bioscience investment, R&D and innovation. A new neuroscience research centre, digital health innovation hub, and other expanded facilities will house hundreds of basic research scientists, clinician investigators, trainees and other research staff.

Cadieux says the goal is to create a collaboration hub between the private sector, industry partners, researchers and clinicians for developing new products and technologies for the future of healthcare.

Such an emphasis on innovation will help brand Ottawa as a “top destination for talent,” according to Farm Boy partner and Campaign to Create Tomorrow Executive Committee member Jeffrey York.

“I’m into the idea of making Ottawa a top destination for talent,” he says, adding that many other cities can’t further develop their downtown hospital campuses because of an acute lack of space.

“That’s not the case here – we’ve got this great campus just sitting there,” he says. “A world-class facility like this will be a springboard to attract great research and medical talent to the city and for world-class talent to make Ottawa their home. It will make us a health sciences leader. And that’s on top of all of the health benefits for the local community.”

That’s something Cadieux says gives her a sense of pride – not just as a TOH employee of many years but as a citizen of Ottawa.

And, it’s thanks to the generosity of the local community through the hospital’s transformational $500 million fundraising campaign – the Campaign to Create Tomorrow – that a campus of this scope and scale is even possible.

“It’s going to be one of the largest hospitals ever built in Canada, and to have that in Ottawa – first of all, it will provide critical advanced healthcare services for the region,” she says. “And I know that my future, my family’s future, and all our loved ones will be well taken care of in a world-class hospital with world-class services.”

While construction on the new campus will begin in 2024 – and is expected to wrap up in 2028 – as Cadieux notes, the impact of the hospital will be felt long after the campus is complete.

“It’s an exciting project for our community, but also very positive for our healthcare workers, who have been through a lot in the past couple of years,” she says. “I’m excited for the future of our hospital.”

https://obj.ca/article/local/Ottawa-...-citys-economy

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 11:27 PM

This scene is about to change dramatically!!!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 6:14 PM

Soooo, what about widening the trench under the future Civic parking garage? We can't do that after we've installed the track. Has the City done anything to get that going? Have they even called TNext?

The four Councillors who voted against the new Civic site plan, partly on the basis of unanswered questions like the active mobility and transit connection, were demonized, yet nothing has been done to advance the project. Not even the simplest trench widening.

Quote:
Bayview Station to the Rideau River - Night Work for Track Installation

https://mailchi.mp/64fe64e3c01c/bayv...n?e=f37f60b514

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 6:48 PM

Really, what would be the point of widening the trench between Prince of Wales and Carling now?

The Prince of Wales bridge is not scheduled for replacement. Nor does the City have any plan to replace the Carling bridge. Creating 200 metres of wider trench, bracketed by two pinch points, is a waste of time and money – at this point.

At some point in the future, the City MIGHT decide to double-track the Trillium Line (which might not be necessary if a Bank Street Subway is built). At that time, the Carling structure would need to be replaced (and, maybe, the Prince of Wales structure IF the Federal Government allows the City to use either HMCS Carleton land or Arboretum land – neither of which the City can expropriate). This (future) widening would REQUIRE another long shut-down of the train line. The full-length, probably, since the City seems to not like the idea of running only part of the line. That would be when the trench on both sides to Dow's Lake Station should get widened.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 6:58 PM

Question is, will it be possible to widen after the parking garage and hospital are built? If not, it has to be done now. The site plan approved by the City has the trench widened before the parking garage construction. There must be a reason why the hospital wanted that done beforehand.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
Really, what would be the point of widening the trench between Prince of Wales and Carling now?

The Prince of Wales bridge is not scheduled for replacement. Nor does the City have any plan to replace the Carling bridge. Creating 200 metres of wider trench, bracketed by two pinch points, is a waste of time and money – at this point.

At some point in the future, the City MIGHT decide to double-track the Trillium Line (which might not be necessary if a Bank Street Subway is built). At that time, the Carling structure would need to be replaced (and, maybe, the Prince of Wales structure IF the Federal Government allows the City to use either HMCS Carleton land or Arboretum land – neither of which the City can expropriate). This (future) widening would REQUIRE another long shut-down of the train line. The full-length, probably, since the City seems to not like the idea of running only part of the line. That would be when the trench on both sides to Dow's Lake Station should get widened.
It would greatly simplify any future widening. If done now, the widening can be drilled and blasted quickly between the bridges, before the parking garage is built. Then, the bridges can be replaced in the future. Those replacements could be done on nights and weekends using a hoe ram to widen the short length economically. The line has run truncated service before, in the fall of 2013 to allow for Carleton to finish the parking garage on weekends. This was a challenge because of the spring switches at Carleton, but hasn't been an issue since they replaced those in 2017. The current upgrades will bring dispatch in-house, making it even easier.

If the garage is built, there will be limited headroom to drill through the rock. Blasting will be difficult with the building overhead, and the hospital nearby, likely requiring significant rock breaking by hoe ram. Hospital noise restrictions will limit this to daytime work, further prolonging the closures.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 7:17 PM

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 7:20 PM

^I thought they were building the garage before starting the construction of the hospital?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 7:40 PM

First: Soil contamination remediation.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Application # D07-12-21-0159
(Open for Comments)
Application Status : Active
Date Received : 2021-10-12
Address : 930 CARLING
Ward : Ward 16 - Riley Brockington
Application : Site Plan Control
Review Status : Applicant Concurs
Status Date : 2022-09-27
Description : The site plan application is the 1st implementing phase of the new Ottawa Hospital Master Plan, which was approved by Council on October 13, 2021. The phase 1 site plan is for the prupose of constructing a new parking garage for the Ottawa Hospital with associared green rooftop park.
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0159/details

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:53 PM

Fencing has gone up around the perimeter of the Queen Juliana Park blocking the pedestrian and cycling paths from Carling to the Arboretum.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 7:49 PM

Night lighting in Queen Juliana Park is being removed. Trees have been removed from the lower part of the west ridge. The upper ridge trees are perhaps saved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa