HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 5:49 PM

Victoria family buys venerable tea merchant

The Canadian Press

December 18, 2007

Victoria -- Murchie's will remain in B.C. hands.

A Victoria company has bought the tea and coffee vendor, which was founded 113 years ago in New Westminster, but recently fell on hard times and went into receivership.

John Simson, president of Belmont Management Ltd. and Grant Kuebler, managing director of Murchie's, say the company will be owned by a Victoria family.

All of the six Murchie's retail outlets, including five in Metro Vancouver and one in Victoria, will be maintained.

Globe & Mail

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 9:55 PM

YAY not that i ever went there but yay

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 1:02 PM
BANNED

I tried finding a national article on this, but wasn't able to. Here are the local links I saw: Calgary - http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/...52223-sun.html , Edmonton - http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...2-d3d4de5f900e , London - http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Loc...52327-sun.html , Halifax - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1001539.html , Windsor - http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/st...dd53c25&k=4873 , Thunder Bay - http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=103408

Wal-Mart's 24-hour shopping goes year-round
Kitchener store one of 25 across Canada to extend holiday hours experiment
January 04, 2008
MICHAEL HAMMOND - RECORD STAFF - KITCHENER

When Nicole Woodbridge's work day ends at 3 a.m., she'll be able to shop for everything from toys to tools.

Wal-Mart is opening its department store at the Sunrise Shopping Centre 24 hours a day for time-pressured people like Woodbridge, who is a server and bartender at the Duke of Wellington pub in downtown Waterloo.

The west-end Kitchener store is one of 25 Wal-Mart outlets across Canada that will be open around the clock throughout the year, the retail giant said yesterday.

Woodbridge, who works into the early morning hours three times a week, says the convenience of being able to shop in the wee hours appeals to her.

"I do my grocery shopping after work since the Sobeys (on Bridgeport Road in Waterloo) is open 24 hours," she says.

"During the day, I don't have time since I mostly sleep and only have time to do a few things before going to work."

Woodbridge is part of a demographic that Wal-Mart is trying to better serve, says company spokesperson Kevin Groh.

Groh says the retailer has seen an increasingly positive response to the 24-hour concept from shoppers in the last three Christmas shopping seasons.

This past December, Wal-Mart opened 80 of its stores around the clock. In the middle of the month, it decided to open 110 more stores 24 hours a day.

The chain has 292 stores across Canada.

"Our instinct is that, in these 25 markets, there's great demand. We had no idea how popular this would be."

Groh says Wal-Mart will continue to operate on a 24-hour basis in markets such as Kitchener as long as shoppers demand the convenience.

"It's really up to our customers."

Groh says the decision to continue with the 24-hour concept is being driven by "shift workers and families whose lives test the boundaries of the day. There's great value in letting customers know we're there for them when they're ready to shop," he says.

Wal-Mart isn't the only retailer that is experimenting with around-the-clock hours. Over the Christmas shopping season, Zellers opened some of its stores for 24 hours, including three department stores in Waterloo Region.

The Real Canadian Superstore on Highland Road in Kitchener's west end also remained open for 24 hours until Christmas.

Sobeys operates seven grocery stores around the clock in Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge.

John Winter, president of retail consulting firm John Winter Associates, says the 24-hour experiment appears to be paying off handsomely for retailers.

"You have to assume this was an enormous success," he said. "This is an absolutely new phenomenon in Canada to have department stores open 24/7."

Winter says Wal-Mart's move will likely force its competitors to consider a similar strategy.

"I would think it will be a temptation for some supermarkets to open 24 hours. It doesn't take all that much more labour to operate 24 hours."

In Wal-Mart's case, its stores already are 24-hour operations because workers restock shelves throughout the night, Groh says. The retailer will add a small complement of employees to serve customers.

Winter says following Wal-Mart's lead will be tricky for some unionized supermarket chains like Loblaws. Wal-Mart's employees are not represented by a union.

Al McLean, secretary and treasurer of the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 1977, which represents Zehrs and Real Canadian Superstore employees, says the 24-hour concept is problematic for workers with young children. He says he would not be surprised if Wal-Mart's competitors consider following its lead.

"It does unfortunately have a ripple effect," he says.

The Loblaws group of supermarkets has no plans to move to the 24-hour concept in the region, says company spokesperson David Primorac.

When the Highland Road superstore opened around the clock before Christmas, employees could volunteer to work nights for a dollar-an-hour premium, but they were not forced to work the shifts.

"The key thing is it was voluntary," McLean says.

He's not convinced that expanding a store's hours results in more business. Instead, it could simply "spread out the business" over longer hours, he says.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 6:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterlooInvestor View Post
I tried finding a national article on this, but wasn't able to.

."The key thing is it was voluntary," McLean says.

He's not convinced that expanding a store's hours results in more business. Instead, it could simply "spread out the business" over longer hours, he says.
This last quote sums it up IMO. There is only so much money to go round. The Sobey's near my house that is open 24/7 is pretty dead after about 23h00. Once in a blue moon its OK to get milk, but in all honesty we could all get our food in the hours we currently have at most supermarkets.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 1:52 AM

walmart being open 24 hours here was stupid

I ended up going a few times around 1 am and big chunks of the store were not accessible due to them being roped off for florr waxing or pallets blocked them making them unpassable

hopefully they can figure out how to do that better

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 3:14 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Before Xmas, I went to Wal-Mart at 6:00am on a Saturday morning. The number of night stockers and other staff outnumbered customers. No lineups at the shelf-checkout, no screaming kids, and no idiots who think they are still driving their cars when they have their shopping carts in the aisles. No area was roped off that I saw, it was accessible, but the floor cleaner was running and I just avoided it. I enjoyed this "shopping experience," and will do it again now that my Wal-Mart is one of the 4 in Calgary that has gone to 24 hours.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 5:59 AM
Inflatable Hippo

I went a few times at 1:00 - 2:00 hoping to find a recently stocked Wii for Chirstmas, but none we to be found.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 5:15 PM
Calgarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Those damned home improvement centres. Here is an idea: How about having leaflets at the front of the store, complete with a map? It is virtually impossible to find anything at these places, what with the merchandise stacked 100 feet high.
AMEN!

I find a trip to Home Depot a nerve-wracking experience.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked rain View Post
AMEN!

I find a trip to Home Depot a nerve-wracking experience.
Back in the day, Home Depot used to.

I know Lowe's does and they just opened up in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 11:45 PM
samsonyuen

From: http://seekingalpha.com/article/5836...tify-the-price

One of the great success stories of 2007 is Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) which is up 157% for the year. The company has revolutionized the idea of fast food and developed a very loyal customer base that drives stability and growth. One of the primary reasons it has been so successful in retaining customers is the commitment to healthy ingredients and respect for the process by which it raises meat, poultry and dairy products. In keeping with the trends that made such successful food and beverage retailers as Ben & Jerry’s and Starbucks (SBUX), The company has nurtured a culture that spans beyond the eating experience to a way of life.

It seems quite odd that such a firm would have been incubated by a behemoth such as McDonalds (MCD). However, while the culture is very dissimilar to that of the Golden Arches, management was able to learn from some of its parent company’s strengths. These strengths manifest themselves through operating efficiency and disciplined growth as Chipotle continues to beat guidance numbers and improve the profitability of the firm. Despite food cost increases including scarcity of avocados this year, operating margins continue to trend higher as evidenced by a 23.0% margin in the Q3 report versus 21.5% in the year ago quarter.

The most recent quarterly earnings release uncovered the typical positive surprises as earnings beat consensus numbers at $0.62, with comparable restaurant sales up 12.4%. The comp store sales increase number has become an increasingly important metric as the installed base of restaurants open for one year now exceeds 500 stores. Looking to new locations, CMG opened an additional 28 new stores with the majority being placed in markets the company already has a presence in. New stores in existing markets should benefit from existing customer knowledge and loyalty and need fewer promotional resources to drive sales. As far as new markets are concerned, the company has targeted Salt Lake City, Birmingham and Philadelphia as the newest additions to cities it serves.

Presently, the company operates all of its restaurants within the US and believes the potential for domestic stores is around 3,000 locations. Since current restaurants only comprise a quarter of that level, there is significant room for growth before the company runs into restrictions. Management expects 130-140 new openings for 2008 and that is on top of expectations towards the high end of 110-120 locations in 2007. While domestic growth is still the primary focus, the company will open its first non US store in Toronto, Canada next year. This will likely give management a chance to test out its ability to manage currency risk and international regulatory issues which could be beneficial if international growth became more of an objective in the future. While no plans have been announced beyond the single Toronto store, this is likely a test for management to gain experience for further growth long-term.

Chipotle’s balance sheet is quite healthy with $167m in cash at the end of the quarter. Typically companies with such strong cash positions would begin to talk about share repurchase plans or dividends to investors. However, CMG cannot use cash in this manner at the present time as that would jeopardize the tax-free status of the company’s spin-off from McDonalds. Instead, the company will use the cash to fund new store openings and continue its aggressive growth strategy. Additional capital can be spent for measures that drive efficiencies such as a new hand-held POS system which allows staff to charge customers while they are standing in line which decreases the wait time and bumps up the number of customers able to be served during peak lunch hours.

Despite the impressive cost saving efforts, and robust growth plans, most analysts do not recommend purchases of the stock. There is an incredible amount of respect for management and the strength of the Chipotle brand, but since the stock is trading at 54 times next year’s consensus numbers, there is little room for any error. If any important metric were to slip or the growth rate was called into question, it is likely that the stock would take a significant hit. One has to look no further than Crocs (CROX) to note how vicious a sell-off can be when a momentum name stumbles.

Despite my recommendation to buy the stock in June and again in August of this year, I am now suggesting that investors take a careful look at their own investment style to consider if this name is right to hold. For those who wish to invest in quality companies with strong management and hold those positions indefinitely, there is nothing wrong with CMG’s long-term prospects. However for those who are opportunistic traders, I would suggest moving capital out of this name as the likelihood of the stock increasing 157% next year is very poor. I would expect the stock to be range-bound for the next several quarters as fundamentals catch up with the stock price and therefore the risk/reward ratio for owning this well oiled machine is not favorable to me at this time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 12:38 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Toronto already has Burrito Boyz! Give US Chipotle!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 7:03 PM

Alberta's First Apple Store opens at West Edmonton Mall

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...67951ea&k=7571

EDMONTON - Alberta's first Apple store opens July 1 in West Edmonton Mall, selling Macintosh computers, iPods and iPhones.

The 6,000-square-foot outlet has projected annual sales of over $30 million, mall president Don Ghermezian said Friday. "They just recently expanded into Canada. They've been a smashing success in Toronto."

A strategy of attracting such "unique new tenants" boosted total revenues of mall retailers by 11 per cent in 2007, he said.

Calvin Klein opened its first Canadian store in the mall on Dec. 4, with 2,200 square feet, selling men's and women's apparel and other products.

DeSerres, a 100-year-old Montreal-based chain of arts and crafts supplies, opened there last fall. Lucky Brand Jeans will open in April. Both will be exclusive in Alberta.

Across the province, seasonally adjusted retail sales rose 7.6 per cent in the 12 months through November, 2007, Statistics Canada has reported.

While this was less than the phenomenal 16-per-cent growth of 2006, "there's still pretty good strength in the Alberta shopper," said Todd Hirsch, senior economist at ATB Financial.

Nationally, retail sales rose 8.3 per cent.

"Some cooling in labour markets could impact retail sales growth in 2008," said economist Marc Pinsonneault at National Bank Financial. But "futher price declines and a positive residential wealth effect for Canadian households" will continue to stimulate spending, he predicted.

Ironically, good times for Alberta retailers are bad for Retail Alberta.

The industry group, founded in 1896 as the Retail Merchants Association, ended its affiliation with the Retail Council of Canada in 2006, aiming to sharpen its focus on independent stores rather than national chains.

But it closed the Edmonton head office in December and now has no local employees.

The organization is merging some operations with Retail British Columbia, based in Vancouver.

Retail Alberta provides member benefits including training programs, insurance and discounts on credit-card fees. It also is an industry voice to the provincial government.

Ironically, with strong sales retailers apparently feel less need to maintain their memberships.

"It's funny, as business is strong, organizations have a tough time," said Michael Ouellette, a member of Retail Alberta's board of directors.

rchalmers@thejournal.canwest.com

© The Edmonton Journal 2008

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 6:02 PM

I heard a rumour of one opening at yonge and bloor or somewhere on Bloor...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:14 AM

Retail remains strong in Canada, says shopping centre expert

BY BRUCE CONSTANTINEAU
Vancouver Sun

Monday, January 28, 2008

WHISTLER - A U.S. recession won't automatically force a dramatic plunge in Canadian retail sales this year, International Council of Shopping Centers chairman Rene Tremblay said Monday.

"We always have to be concerned about the impact of the U.S. market but things are going so well in Canada now that we should be fine," he said in an interview after a speech to the ICSC Whistler Conference.

Tremblay said Canadian retailers face a more "challenging" environment this year because of the slowing U.S. economy. But he insists several key Canadian economic fundamentals should ensure the industry remains vibrant and growing at a "respectable" pace.

He said interest rates remain near historical lows - which is good news for consumers - and job growth and personal income growth should remain positive in Canada this year.

"Consumers are still there and they're still buying," Tremblay said. "They're very resilient and confident, especially in Western Canada. You're in the right part of the country right now."

He said the Canadian housing market could slow down this year but a "U.S.-style correction" is not likely. Tremblay noted existing home sales in Canada rose by 7.9 per cent last year but fell nearly 13 per cent in the U.S.

He predicts Canadian retail sales will grow by about five per cent this year, compared with 5.7 per cent last year and 6.4 per cent in 2006 - the best performance since 1997.

Tremblay noted the strongest retail categories last year included pharmacies (up 9.1 per cent), furniture (up 8.5 per cent), building and home supplies (up 7.3 per cent) and clothing (up six per cent).

Canadian shopping centre sales increased by 3.3 per cent during the first 10 months last year, with Alberta (up 6.8 per cent) and B.C. (up 6.2 per cent) leading the country.

Tremblay said an aging and more diverse consumer base in Canada has made shoppers more knowledgeable and demanding - placing more emphasis on services, health, beauty and wellness.

"We have to make our properties more fun and more comfortable because consumers want to feel like VIPs when they shop," he said. " . . . Having spas in malls is not the norm yet but that's where we're heading, making more of those options available."

Tremblay also said 24-hour-a-day shopping is not far away in Canada, noting Wal-Mart recently introduced 24-hour-a-day stores in this country.

"You can shop almost 24 hours a day in the U.S. and I think we'll see it pretty soon in Canada," he said. "It's a new way to reach consumers and make sure you're available when they want."

bconstantineau@png.canwest.com

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...e926f29&k=7503

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 4:55 AM

Liberty has opened in Victoria

1630 Store Street

http://www.libertyinside.com/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 5:39 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Liberty has opened in Victoria

1630 Store Street

http://www.libertyinside.com/
...meanwhile the Calgary "location" is looking more bombed-out and decrepit every day. Really insulting that they manage to open the one in Victoria which was announced the same time as Calgary's while they have done nothing in Calgary but kick the squatters out, or try to.

And for those who are curious- it's the building that used to house Tumblebeans and that little soap shop at 14 St and 24th Ave SW.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 5:58 AM

it will be worth the wait - what they did with their broadway store is pretty amazing

Coach is opening up in Metropolis
H&M opens in Lougheed Town Centre in April

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 5:31 PM

Apple Store Chooses Market Mall, Calgary

Apple Store is now recruiting employees for a Calgary store at Market Mall on their website. With Chinook Centre and TD Square/Calgary Eaton Centre both doing huge renovations that won't be done until 2010...I guess Market Mall is the best way to enter the market quickly. Hopefully the deal actually goes through this time.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 4:10 AM

Wal-Mart takes aim at 'Bollywood' market

Competitors differ on effect of Wal-Mart

A move by retail behemoth Wal-Mart Canada into Bollywood fashion is causing ripples in Canada's South Asian merchant community.

The new "Bollywood Signature" line of women's clothing, unveiled last month at Wal-Mart stores in Ontario and British Columbia, is causing some smaller retailers to wonder about their new giant competition.

"I think they are attacking the small-business owner when they do stuff like this," says Sunny Khurana, who does the buying and selling for a 37-year-old family business that includes two Guru Bazaar Sarees and Fabrics stores and one Rokko Fabrics outlet, all in south Vancouver.

"For them, it's a matter of economics, if they don't make money on it, they'll get rid of it. In our case, it's our bread and butter, and we have to make it work."

Brennan O'Connor, Business Edge
Ranka Group fashion director Nina Snow with samples of Bollywood Signature fashions for Wal-Mart Canada.

Selling South Asian fashion is part of Wal-Mart's latest strategy in Canada, as it continues to roll out its "Store of the Community" concept.

Company officials say the idea is to identify multicultural population clusters around its stores, using data from market research firm AC Nielsen and the Canadian census. In turn, this information allows stores to stock merchandise that reflects the unique characteristics of the local communities and customers served.

The clothing is only available in a limited number of Wal-Mart's 298 Canadian stores, says Karin Campbell, manager of corporate affairs for Wal-Mart Canada.

"For us to be successful we need to be a store of the community," she says. "It's about understanding the community we serve and tailoring our merchandise to reach their culture and traditions."

The Bollywood Signature line consists of an initial nine traditional and ornate salwar kameez - three-piece South Asian suits for women - and is available in 15 stores - 12 in B.C. and three in Ontario.

The suits come with pants (called salwars), a long shirt or tunic (called a kameez) and a matching scarf (called a dupatta) and are characterized by rich and vibrant colours and feature hand-sewn stone and bead embellishments.

Apparel and design house Ranka Group of Companies of Markham, Ont., is supplying the line to Wal-Mart. It already provides the retail chain with children's wear, men's and ladies' clothing and winter accessories.

"They have strong South Asian roots. We approached them to design this line; we felt they had the expertise and the knowledge," says Campbell.

Ranka Group fashion director Nina Snow says the South Asian clothing is designed in-house, but manufactured in India.

"We employ a lot of South Asian people and everybody who found out about the line is thrilled. I've had a lot of people thank me profusely for doing this," says Snow. "The response we're getting is that it's convenient, it's a great price point and there's a lot of pride in the community that Wal-Mart is recognizing this South Asian community need."

Brennan O'Connor, Business Edge
Ranka Group International CEO Kash Sood and fashion director Nina Snow are supplying women's clothing to Wal-Mart.

However, individual merchants like Sunny Khurana in Vancouver sees Wal-Mart's entry as a potential problem for small businesses that sell similar merchandise. "On a personal level, we'll have to try and carry items that are different and give them (customers) better service.

"They (Wal-Mart) are not creating another market, the pie is the same size and they'll be taking a piece of the same pie," says Khurana. "We can adapt because we know the market, but I think some of the borderline businesses may not survive, they may hurt them.

"The whole gist is they're not generating any new business, they're taking the existing away."

Khurana's stores sell a variety of clothing and fabrics, including a wide range of salwar kameez. He says he can compete with Wal-Mart on price if he has to.

"I think you'll have some people who might shop there, it's very hard to say at this point. It's not like buying the same exact item. I'm sure they'll do some business."

Other merchants are confident that Wal-Mart's arrival on the South Asian fashion scene won't squeeze them out of business.

Sarab Singh, co-owner of the Chandan Fashion Centre in Toronto's Gerrard India Bazaar - described as the largest marketing place of South Asian goods and services in North America - says she is not worried even though she carries Bollywood-style jewelry, Bollywood-style sarees and a full selection of salwar kameez.

"No, this will not hurt my business," says Singh, whose store has been in business since 1985. "We carry pure dupioni silk and pure silk chiffon, plus I buy designer clothes.

"Our market, the Gerrard India Bazaar, is on the Internet. People from Germany, France, the U.S.A. and England always come on my street, though not all of them come in here."

Singh adds that, unlike Wal-Mart, her store offers an onsite tailor who can alter the outfits to meet a client's specific tastes.

Maureen Atkinson, senior partner with the Toronto-based J.C. Williams Group, a retail and marketing consulting firm, says Wal-Mart has simply taken a page out of what grocers have been doing for a long time - catering to their neighbourhood base.

"The thing about grocery stores, with their relatively limited trade area, is they have to respond to what the neighbourhood tastes are or they lose a big portion of their customers," says Atkinson. "On the food side, they're doing what a lot of good food retailers have already figured out what they have to do. On the general merchandise side, they're (Wal-Mart) probably more of a leader on that side."

Atkinson also says that when mainstream retailers introduce these types of products, it widens consumer horizons to items they normally don't buy. "I think it's good. The more we know about other cultures the better off we are."

Wal-Mart also says it isn't trying to bump small merchants out of the market.

"Wal-Mart Canada isn't in the specialty business and many great stores offer these products," says Campbell. "What we're offering is a great basic Indian suit at an affordable price and we're simply trying to meet the needs of our local South Asian customers."

http://www.businessedge.ca/article.cfm/newsID/17447.cfm

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
it will be worth the wait - what they did with their broadway store is pretty amazing

Coach is opening up in Metropolis
H&M opens in Lougheed Town Centre in April

Coach also has South Centre (Calgary) on their website - but haven't heard any formal announcement here.

Good to see West Ed is getting all there "Alberta exclusives/firsts" for now...it'll be good to see some of those migrate south when Chinook/South Centre/TD are complete, as I'm guessing that's the major reason Calgary still doesn't have an Abercrombie/Hollister store.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada