HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 4:16 PM
dream fast

I like the 1958 curtain wall. It's a classic retro 50's touch to the Avenue similar to Borg Warner. Lose that and it's gone. Or bring back the original design, what would most likely never happen, cost factors & all glass facades rule.

Topshop Sept 2011, coming soon.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 5:27 PM
tilted & shifted

Article on what may happen to the old Jones Prep site:
http://chicagojournal.com/News/08-10...s_College_Prep

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 5:36 PM
Urbane observer

^Infuriates me. All the community organizations begged the city to straighten out Harrison when they were selling the parking lot to University Center. Couldn't be done, they said. Though an 18-story building was fine, parents would never allow their kids to live in a 20-story building.

Now they want to tear down a perfectly good school and build yet another pointless little dog poop park in a terrible location. Why? So they can straighten out Harrison. Something about this smells funny.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Aug 12, 2011 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 8:01 PM
TL;DR

What's fishy? Haithcock obviously didn't care about straightening Harrison, but didn't want to ruffle any feathers by making demands of the University Center developer. Fioretti sees the straightening as more of a priority, and he feels more comfortable exercising leverage over CPS.

The design of the new segment of Harrison could be problematic. What's to become of the little triangles of land to the north and south of the new alignment? I can only hope the city doesn't try to cram parking spaces there. In New York or Tokyo, those would become developable parcels, but that's way too much to hope for in Chicago...

I'm also disappointed in the park usage. The site isn't big enough for a soccer field or football field. These greenspaces usually fail utterly. The only successful one I can think of is in Battery Park City, where careful attention was paid to the edge condition, which maintained the urban feeling of the street while allowing the sports field to become secure (and protect against fly balls).

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 10:17 PM
Urbane observer

^Neither Haithcock nor Fioretti have been part of any of these discussions. Fioretti is opposed to demolishing the current Jones HS.

The corner of State and Harrison is no place for a park, especially a stupid little leftover parcel type of park. There should be buildings holding those corners and signaling to motorists that they're in downtown, dammit.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Aug 13, 2011 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 5:40 AM
TL;DR

I don't like the park any more than you do. But if it's a done deal, we might as well push for design that doesn't completely ruin the coherent urban streetscape of Printers' Row.6

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 12:03 PM

Huh? Mr Downtown aren't you the one (or was it Viva) who told us a year or two ago that some memorial or some similar small specifically themed use like that was supposed to go on the post-rerouted NW corner of Harrison & State - which is why there is already an oddly large unbuilt space on that NW corner today.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 1:58 PM
Urbane observer

The city wanted the Burger King gone, so they came up with the idea of a veterans memorial at the SWC Congress & State. Some of us thought that was a terrible idea, because Congress should have buildings squeezing in on it to cue motorists that they're not on the expressway any more. Eventually someone at DPD engineered a land swap so Library Tower could be on the corner at Congress and the little park moved south to the NWC Harrison & State. The condo treated it as a private dog run for a few months, but now it's locked open. The idea that it's a memorial seems to have disappeared along the way.

PIMSY (Park in My Side Yard) campaigns are just as injurious to the city as NIMBY campaigns. No one will ever speak out against a park, of course (except Edgewater condo owners). But parks should be large enough to be more than dog toilets, should have good mid-day sun exposure, and should be properly fronted by buildings and streets. Things like Pritzker Park or even Printers Row Park make me mad. Where a city's parks go should not be determined by who previously rented the building on that lot. Instead, resell those sites as development parcels and purchase the land that would actually make a good park (such as the parking lot at SEC Harrison & Dearborn).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 7:54 PM

Hey Mr. D.

I gotta say this is one of the few times I agree with you. Having said that, I don't think the SW corner of Harrison and State is a good location of a park either. Yes, it would function better then the 'dog poop' park (hehe) at Harrison and State but Printer's Row deserves a dense mid-rise residential project at that site to match the historic neighbors, IMO

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 3:17 PM
Urbane observer

If you'd been in control in 1977 where would you have put a park to serve Printers Row?

The reason I like the ParkOne lot is that it's properly lined by streets and fronted by buildings, has sun nearly all day, and is big enough to function as a real town plaza. I would elevate it four feet from street level and put two levels of parking underneath.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The corner of State and Harrison is no place for a park, especially a stupid little leftover parcel type of park. There should be buildings holding those corners and signaling to motorists that they're in downtown, dammit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown
PIMSY (Park in My Side Yard) campaigns are just as injurious to the city as NIMBY campaigns.
+1. Couldn't possibly agree more.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 12:02 AM

Museum of Broadcast Communications

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I assume these are for ivy or some other covering? Because otherwise they will get grimy pretty soon and power washing them (if aerial power washing even exists) will not get at the numerous nooks and crannies - to say nothing of all the excellent pigeon perches.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 5:02 AM
BANNED

How is a pigeon going to perch on that? They like ledges, not vertical metal mesh walls. I don't think the fat pigeons downtown could even land on that if they wanted to. The only birds you'll see on that (if you ever even see it) are sparrows and chick-a-dees or maybe a nuthatch if one even gets lost and makes it downtown without death ramming a window... I'm more worried about the inevitable dents and bent wires that will occur in the mesh, especially considering the stuff is already deforming at the top left of the lower section pictured above.

Anyhow, we've certainly been getting our fair share of buildings with metal mesh facade treatments lately haven't we?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 5:39 AM

I was going to comment on the wire panels a week or two ago after walking by them a few times.

I don't like them. They look ok from far away. But up close they look awful. They are going to stain and get bent.....just like the other wire and extruded metal panel walls in the city. I'll be sure to snap some photos of these places. This is why I am very concerned about the poetry foundation building, which lacks a protective base. Glazing, wood, stone, brick and concrete are far more forgiving to stuff being rammed or scraped against them. In this case, it's up high so all we really have to be concerned about is staining and sagging.

The rest of the building looks very nice though.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
How is a pigeon going to perch on that?
I was referring to the ledge parts. I can't tell what kind of bird could fit on them, but there is a little more room on the ends if the critter stands sideways. Also presumably on the topmost ledge where there is no mesh in the way.

^ Hayward, are you talking about rust or some other kind of staining? Is it the case that you can avoid rusting by using stainless steel for most components, but that with bolts and nuts (or other significant load-bearing tiny parts) you're stuck with something that will rust?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I was referring to the ledge parts. I can't tell what kind of bird could fit on them, but there is a little more room on the ends if the critter stands sideways. Also presumably on the topmost ledge where there is no mesh in the way.

^ Hayward, are you talking about rust or some other kind of staining? Is it the case that you can avoid rusting by using stainless steel for most components, but that with bolts and nuts (or other significant load-bearing tiny parts) you're stuck with something that will rust?
It won't rust, rather I was referring to grime staining up the surface. Think of it like fingerprints on a stainless steel fridge. The grease and dust collect and give a brown stain.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 3:34 AM

Thanks for the detailed update shots of the Broadcast Museum harry. What a (long overdue) improvement to what sat there for years.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 7:21 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=5573

ROOM TO OPERATE
McCaffery & Antunovich reimagine Children's Hospital site in Lincoln Park.
Tom Stoelker 08.16.2011

...The architect said that the hospital’s 800 parking spaces would likely remain, though neighbors can hope for a spruced up version of the garage with street level retail. The modern white brick buildings will probably be torn down to make way for residential properties, more retail, and “special gathering places.” The heights of the new buildings are not expected to exceed those there now.

...Meanwhile, the architects have been pouring over historic photos of lost detailing on the older red-brick buildings on the site. Antunovich said restoring those elements was a way to reach out to the community almost immediately.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 10:01 PM
dream fast

Love that last water tower/ robot shot, harry.^

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development