HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Not to be nitpicky but I think you may have the names backwards. They've already submitted plans and permit applications for Block C. If you mean that they'll be submitting plans for Block D in the next few weeks, then count me as stoked!

This was the last version of Block D that we've seen (via a leak) which also shows an older version of Block C:

That 28-story residential tower (on top of 7-stories of parking) has the potential to be a 400+ footer, which is exciting.
Thank you, I did have the blocks reversed.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 2:32 PM

My first thought with this great OR Convention announcement was of Arrow Press Square's future development. I think this can only speed up the development of the APS block and the West Temple and 200 S. corridors in general. Exciting times for SLC.

More sexy hotel towers please!!!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 8:43 PM

Is it just me, or does it feel like APS is just the block that’ll forever be empty? Seems like we get excited about a hotel/tower at APS for a decade and have NEVER actually seen any real plans. Like, sorry but I’m just not buying it anymore

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
Thanks for the backstory, makes more sense that the Little America was built first when there was no thought yet of the Grand America. I'm surprised since 2002 they haven't embarked on a makeover of Little America to bring it into the 21st century.
I worked for Grand America (and LA) in the marketing dept a little over a decade ago. They've remodeled the interior completely to be nearly as nice as the Grand. They had talked about redoing the exterior when I was there, but I guess they just haven't felt it was a priority. Also, I don't know how the dynamics of the business changed after Earl Holding died and his children took over.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I have heard that the APS development, hotel and possibly apartments has been waiting to see how the hotel occupancy goes once the CCH is opened. The news of OR returning following updates that phase 2 of the West Quarter won't include a hotel component could help to encourage the Priskos family to move quicker....
When/if APS is built, the old Marriott should be demolished and a new hotel built in its place.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
When/if APS is built, the old Marriott should be demolished and a new hotel built in its place.
I definitely agree with this. I still wish that it would have been reconstructed and upgraded when City Creek Center was being built.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Is there a concept art showing what they are hoping to build there? or is it still up in the air?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 11:42 PM
Space Magi

Old rendering

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 11:54 PM

Okay. So we really need to start going taller. If they ever build anything 500ft or 600ft our entire downtown is going to look squat. They it will take another 30+ years to fix it.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
In my dreams they turn the Marriott at City Creek into a JW Marriott and turn the Macys into a Bloomingdale’s. Upgrades all around.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 1:33 AM

I don't think a 500 ft. tower anywhere between 1st and 2nd south would look awkward. Especially given how much taller the footing is that the COB sits on, and with the Astra also contributing its 449 ft. height. A 500 hundred footer would probably be just about perfect at this stage. Ideally, we'd want to build three or four in the 500-plus range before advancing to the next level of 600 footers. This is of course if we're being skyline design nerds, which I guess we kind of are.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 3:16 AM

500 footer would look just fine in SLC

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
Okay. So we really need to start going taller. If they ever build anything 500ft or 600ft our entire downtown is going to look squat. They it will take another 30+ years to fix it.
I absolutely agree taller is currently needed, but I would argue that it actually looks more squat now due to little height variation than it would with a couple 500/600 ft towers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I don't think a 500 ft. tower anywhere between 1st and 2nd south would look awkward. Especially given how much taller the footing is that the COB sits on, and with the Astra also contributing its 449 ft. height. A 500 hundred footer would probably be just about perfect at this stage. Ideally, we'd want to build three or four in the 500-plus range before advancing to the next level of 600 footers. This is of course if we're being skyline design nerds, which I guess we kind of are.
Due to the elevation changes I honestly don't think even 500 ft would have a huge effect. (depending on location of course) But I would sure be happy if one was announced! I have messed around with a couple different skyline photos and (IMHO) 600ft actually looks really good in our current skyline if centrally located. And yes Delts, I think we all have a little skyline nerd in us!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 7:05 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
In my dreams they turn the Marriott at City Creek into a JW Marriott and turn the Macys into a Bloomingdale’s. Upgrades all around.
Once they push McDonalds out, there won't be anything left there I can afford.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 3:38 PM
Space Magi

I've said this before but Edmonton 20 years ago had a similar skyline to SLC now: tabletop with tallest buildings around 125-140 meters (406-460 ft). Edmonton probably had a few more residential towers and they're a bit more concentric whereas SLC is spread linearly along Main Street, but it's not not worst comparison.

They've recently added the 822 ft Stantec Tower and a 626 ft JW Marriott and I think it looks great. Stantec has a mini-Sears Tower effect due to the density of the surrounding buildings.

Picture from 2017:

Picture from 2020:

So with the addition of the current set of towers U/C in SLC, and given the right location, I don't think an 800 footer would even look bad. 500 ft or 600 ft would look great.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:

So with the addition of the current set of towers U/C in SLC, and given the right location, I don't think an 800 footer would even look bad. 500 ft or 600 ft would look great.
The issue with some larger towers looking out of place is not just the height - it’s the width (girth?) of the building. To that end, I don’t think Devon tower in OKC would look half as out of place if it were half as skinny. I think the reason Stantec works in Edmonton so well is the tallest part of the tower is pretty skinny.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 4:58 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

New drill on the Astra site.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 4:59 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I've said this before but Edmonton 20 years ago had a similar skyline to SLC now: tabletop with tallest buildings around 125-140 meters (406-460 ft). Edmonton probably had a few more residential towers and they're a bit more concentric whereas SLC is spread linearly along Main Street, but it's not not worst comparison.

They've recently added the 822 ft Stantec Tower and a 626 ft JW Marriott and I think it looks great. Stantec has a mini-Sears Tower effect due to the density of the surrounding buildings.

Agreed. I think that looks great.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 8:04 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
The issue with some larger towers looking out of place is not just the height - it’s the width (girth?) of the building. To that end, I don’t think Devon tower in OKC would look half as out of place if it were half as skinny. I think the reason Stantec works in Edmonton so well is the tallest part of the tower is pretty skinny.
Looks pretty good from the fat side too, imo:

I think what really separates Edmonton from OKC is the overall density.

I wonder what Edmonton's mixed-use JW Marriott tower (second-tallest in above picture) would look like at the APS site in SLC.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 6:45 PM

Now that we know Heinz has begun removing items inside the theatre. That must mean demolition and construction is getting fairly close. Does anyone know if the plan to build Sundial Tower simultaneously to the Main St Tower? Or will there be a delay between the two projects?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West