HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 2:26 PM

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 3:22 PM

It's really too bad they went with the dark brick. Enough of that already here in Laheytown.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 4:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
The one thing that Zibi was proposing which seemed to be new to Ottawa was ACCESS TO SHORELINE.

Ottawa turns away its back from all of the rivers/canals. In other cities, they embrace the water and shorelines, providing steps, paths, plaza's, parks all embracing the water, not sure why this seems impossible in Ottawa.

It's sad...
No, it isn't Ottawa that's doing this, it's the NCC, which controls much of the waterfront in urban Ottawa. This is not a revelation, but a reminder that the NCC is the problem here.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 5:04 PM

Yes, clearly there will be no access to the water anywhere in this area. /s

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I watched the board meeting and "but will access to open water be safe???" was the first question asked by the board members

Won't surprise me if there is some kind of a fence here in the end.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
IMO this is exactly the problem^

The city has an infinite amount of places where you can sit on grass/rocks/natural surfaces next to the water. However there are no urban areas that interact with the water despite there being so much of it throughout the city. The hand full of scattered restaurants and patios that we do have beside the rivers and canal are too isolated and disconnected to create any sort of urban edge on the water.

That Washington project posted earlier in this thread seems to a great job in animating the space with its long promenade along the water packed full of restaurants, shops and entertainment. With the landscape of Zibi, I get the feeling things will be too spread out and disjointed to have the same experience where you can stroll along the water, poke into shops and grab a beer on a patio. I hope I’m wrong but that’s the sense I’m getting so far.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
I watched the board meeting and "but will access to open water be safe???" was the first question asked by the board members

Won't surprise me if there is some kind of a fence here in the end.
Holy shit we need to start making people responsible for their own decisions and children. I was always amazed how you can stick your feet in the Niagara River just a couple hundred metres upstream from the falls. No baby gates there and yet where are the people falling in and getting washed over the falls?? Exceedingly rare.

The other place I was amazed with are the trails around Signal Hill in St. John's. Sheer drops 100+ feet and no guardrails to be seen.....though I heard they have since put up some fences that pissed a lot of people off.

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
No, it isn't Ottawa that's doing this, it's the NCC, which controls much of the waterfront in urban Ottawa. This is not a revelation, but a reminder that the NCC is the problem here.
NCC just wants to do more harm than good at this point. Even looking at how long it took them to come up with a "plan" for Lebreton after the 2018 fiasco, they made it into a 50 year-ish plan. I just don't think they bring any sort of real value except stagnating growth and development of this city into its greatest.

It's so frustrating following along and then seeing things get derailed once NCC gets involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
IMO this is exactly the problem^

The city has an infinite amount of places where you can sit on grass/rocks/natural surfaces next to the water. However there are no urban areas that interact with the water despite there being so much of it throughout the city. The hand full of scattered restaurants and patios that we do have beside the rivers and canal are too isolated and disconnected to create any sort of urban edge on the water.

That Washington project posted earlier in this thread seems to a great job in animating the space with its long promenade along the water packed full of restaurants, shops and entertainment. With the landscape of Zibi, I get the feeling things will be too spread out and disjointed to have the same experience where you can stroll along the water, poke into shops and grab a beer on a patio. I hope I’m wrong but that’s the sense I’m getting so far.
Exactly. There's no maximization of waterfront retail/activity that isn't greenspace. We have lots of greenspace and I like that but it would be good to utilize areas we are building up to be maximized for tourism and just a place for locals to go.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 1:11 AM

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 7:34 PM

Some renderings of Block 7 in Hull:

http://elema-ing.com/en/projets/zibi-block-7

Ground floor will be a grocery store. It'd be a shame if they swapped those timber looking fins in previous renderings for the metal ones here but it looks like it'll be an interesting building regardless.

That Laurier street level experience though...

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 10:29 PM

I'm on the fence with this one. Looks like a nice, quality building, but is that enough for Zibi? I agree that the wood (or bronze) fins shown previously had a far nicer look.

The single storey portion I assume is the grocery store. Maybe part of the parking garage. I feel like that single floor is not the best use of space. I hope the roof is well utilized with urban farming, park space...

For context, the area plan was posted on RailFans Discord. Seems Donalda and Ezra will act as service roads for the buildings, hence why the 4 garage bays face Ezra.

Laurier, Jos Montferrand and Eddy are to be the pedestrian oriented streets.

For the grocery store, I hope to see the zero waste Nu Grocery. Ottawa based with two locations (Wellington West and Main), it would fit well with Zibi's sustainable goals. With Metro planned for the W/E II a few blocks away on Eddy and Wellington, it would also provide a different option. Any other Zero waste grocery store (I recently heard of Gatineau based Multiservice Vert) would also be good. I just don't want another chain if one's opening nearby already.

If the single storey portion is the grocery store, I would like to see a entrances on Laurier and Sauvignon to animate those streets. I'd also like a mural along the low concrete wall, possibly depicting local Voyageur/Industrial/Indigenous history.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post

Ground floor will be a grocery store. It'd be a shame if they swapped those timber looking fins in previous renderings for the metal ones here but it looks like it'll be an interesting building regardless.

That Laurier street level experience though...
Previous version for reference (from 2 years ago)

I agree Laurier street level could've used some more animation.
Especially considering that Gatineau is planning to narrow it to 1 car lane in each direction, or maybe even close it to cars completely.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Laurier, Jos Montferrand and Eddy are to be the pedestrian oriented streets.
To what extent?

These seem like the perfect candidates to Woonerf.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
To what extent?

These seem like the perfect candidates to Woonerf.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it will go quite that far. Based on the current plans and what's been built so far, they'll be opting for regular roads with extra wide sidewalks/terraces and bike infrastructure. There will be quite a few open pedestrian spaces and plazas as well.

Still a major improvement from current standards we see in the region.

https://zibi.ca/

Up Jos-Montferrand.

https://www.livabl.com/2019/02/const...ve-zibi-o.html

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Previous version for reference (from 2 years ago)

I agree Laurier street level could've used some more animation.
Especially considering that Gatineau is planning to narrow it to 1 car lane in each direction, or maybe even close it to cars completely.
OK, so grocery store will be at the base of the tower, corner of Jos-Montferrand and Laurier. So what's the odd single story portion?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 5:01 PM

More than I was expecting. I do think they should have whittle down the list of charities just a tad though.

Quote:
First zipline trip over Ottawa River goes for $27,000

Ted Raymond
Digital Multi-Skilled Journalist
@TedFriendlyGuy Contact

Published Monday, June 7, 2021 11:47AM EDT

OTTAWA -- An auction to sell the first trips on a zipline that crosses the Ottawa River has raised $27,000 for local charities.

The InterZip Rogers zipline, based at the Zibi site in Gatineau, was set to open in 2020, but the opening was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In May, the organizers of the zipline launched an auction to become the first person to take the trip, billed as the only interprovincial zipline in the world.

On Monday, the winners of the auction were announced. Valérie and Charles-Armand Turpin, representing their company Verval, posted a winning bid of $27,000 on Friday.

The Turpins said in a press release they are very excited.

“As soon as we heard about Interzip Rogers, we were thrilled at the thought of soaring above the Ottawa River. What an opportunity for our region to host the first interprovincial zip line in the world! Congratulations to Orkestra and Zibi on the realisation of this beautiful attraction. It goes without saying that it warms our hearts to know that our winning bid, made on behalf of our company Verval, will go towards helping charities in our community.”

Nine local charities will benefit from the $27,000 raised. They are:
  • Banque Alimentaire Service Entraide (BASE)
  • BCG Ottawa
  • Service Animation Jeunesse de l'Outaouais (SAJO)
  • Centre de Pédiatrie Sociale de Gatineau | CPSG
  • Maison de la famille de Gatineau
  • Ottawa Riverkeeper
  • OrKidstra
  • Senators Community Foundation
  • The Algonquin Way Cultural Centre

The official opening date of the zipline has yet to be determined, as organizers continue to await word from the Ontario and Quebec governments for clearance.

If the zipline is given the green light to open, participants and staff will be required to follow all COVID-19 guidelines on both sides of the river, including physical distancing and mask use.
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/first-zipl...-000-1.5459460

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 10:40 AM

From one of our own who posted these on RailFans Discord.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 12:51 PM

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 1:13 PM

That looks amazing!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 2:44 PM

What a cool development. It's about time that a neighbourhood in Ottawa took full advantage of the Ottawa River. It's nice that we have so much public park space and paths along the river but we need to find a compromise downtown where residents get great access to this amazing natural environment. I look at the Calgary riverfront as a great example of a string of private developments that maintain continuous pedestrian paths for the public but still bring residents close to the water. Can't wait to see the final product at Zibi.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa