HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:52 PM

Took a walk through Target at KP today. Felt like I was the only person left after nuclear fallout. Anyone think they'll be able to adjust to the Canadian market or will this be an epic retail fail?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Took a walk through Target at KP today. Felt like I was the only person left after nuclear fallout. Anyone think they'll be able to adjust to the Canadian market or will this be an epic retail fail?
Found that store poorly stocked, high prices and mostly empty so in other words not much different from the Zeller's store it replaced!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 8:03 PM

The sad reality is that the KP store is far, far better than the one at Southdale. The Southdale store has empty shelves like something in the USSR, circa 1981. Frankly, I'm surprised that they haven't yet managed to work out their supply chain issues.

That said, for all of the Target fans there seem to be in Winnipeg (judging by the parking lots at North Dakota Target locations, at least), it's surprising to me how empty the stores here are. Obviously the grocery selection is not the same as in the US, but the other merchandise is more or less on par with the US Targets.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 8:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The sad reality is that the KP store is far, far better than the one at Southdale. The Southdale store has empty shelves like something in the USSR, circa 1981. Frankly, I'm surprised that they haven't yet managed to work out their supply chain issues.

That said, for all of the Target fans there seem to be in Winnipeg (judging by the parking lots at North Dakota Target locations, at least), it's surprising to me how empty the stores here are. Obviously the grocery selection is not the same as in the US, but the other merchandise is more or less on par with the US Targets.
It blows me away that they even considered opening these stores without having all of their supply chain confirmed. The poorly stocked shelved is an incredibly poor impression to leave with customers. We were just in Fargo last weekend and other that the colours of the stores there was no comparison in what they offered stock wise.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:

Honestly though, Target in the US is overrated IMO. I can never find anything there in terms of clothing, Wal-Mart in the States, outlet stores (Levi's, Reebok, Nike, Under Armour etc) and sports stores (Dick's, Scheel's) have much more selection and competitive prices. I don't find Target particularly cheap in the US compared to Wal-Mart, even brand name stores. Maybe I'm not their target market. The females in my life love Target south of the border but say that the selection of clothes is not the same here, yet anyways.

The empty shelves are brutal. If you didn't see the red balls on the way in you'd still think the Zellers clearance sale was on.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Honestly though, Target in the US is overrated IMO. I can never find anything there in terms of clothing, Wal-Mart in the States, outlet stores (Levi's, Reebok, Nike, Under Armour etc) and sports stores (Dick's, Scheel's) have much more selection and competitive prices. I don't find Target particularly cheap in the US compared to Wal-Mart, even brand name stores. Maybe I'm not their target market. The females in my life love Target south of the border but say that the selection of clothes is not the same here, yet anyways.

The empty shelves are brutal. If you didn't see the red balls on the way in you'd still think the Zellers clearance sale was on.
Pretty much bang on with my impression. I have never been to Target in the state, not much of a North Dakota/Minnesota shopping traveller. But when I went to the KP store for a hallway table, I didn't know what the hype was all about. Just seemed that Zeller's had renovated. Same crap I can get anywhere else. The table I found, to my surprise, was $250. For some crap laminated thing, no thanks.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 9:21 PM

My last few visits to Amercian Target stores scream to me that the whole chain is in the early stages of retail failure. Maybe it is just my flawed memories but I remember Target being fairly busy place with lots of people. On my last few visits it is a ghost town with more staff than customers and this was not isolated to a single store or town but a larger sampling. The problems of Target's launch is not specific to the Canadian market but a sign of the much larger problems they are faing and how they have slipped from their high point.

Then again I am not expert on the subject but it is hard to ignore the signs when they keep repeating themselves (ie Kmart, Eatons, The Bay, Sears, etc).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 11:33 PM

I found Target to be a lot better than Zeller's in the customer service end the two time I have been in KP. I had bought a t-shirt and did not realize the hanger tag did not match the size tag on the shirt so it had to go back for a refund.

When I took it back the customer service rep offered to check electronically to see if they had the size I wanted in stock. They did not, so she checked the stock at Southdale and told me how many they had if I wanted to go there. I have never seen Zeller's or Walmart to that for a customer.

Second time I could not find an electric can opener (or find the associate in the dept) so I went to customer service to ask where they were hidden. They got on the radio to ask what isle they were in and walked me to the department where the housewares associate then took me to the right location. There again most other stores would just point in the general direction of where you should look.

Note to Target : most customers would look for can openers with the other small electric appliances like toasters etc, not in the isle with the microwaves and not on the bottom shelf.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 5:20 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Want an East German banana?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 1:52 PM

My thoughts regarding Target, they opened way too many stores here in Winnipeg. They should have concentrated on the new one they are building at the old stadium and maybe one other location. That way, there would be a sense on uniqueness. Now, once the new Super Target opens at the old stadium, there isn't going to be any hype over it. The only way Target will survive here in Canada is if they stock their shelves with product that you only find in the USA.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 2:04 PM

^^ Just an observation on target as well, but all the die hard shoppers in my family are not thrilled with the stores they opened here and do not make any extra effort to go out of thier way to shop thier.

My family members expected "much" more when they opened thier stores (over hyped?) and as you said, "they" expected US products at substantially lower prices than here. They will still go to "Walmart" over Target. Maybe the Super Centre you mentioned may change people feelings but it doesn't seem like shoppers are too thrilled so far?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
^^ Just an observation on target as well, but all the die hard shoppers in my family are not thrilled with the stores they opened here and do not make any extra effort to go out of thier way to shop thier.

My family members expected "much" more when they opened thier stores (over hyped?) and as you said, "they" expected US products at substantially lower prices than here. They will still go to "Walmart" over Target. Maybe the Super Centre you mentioned may change people feelings but it doesn't seem like shoppers are too thrilled so far?
My in-laws said the exact same thing. But were people seriously expecting the exact same thing as you'd get in Grand Forks for the exact same prices? As far as I can tell, Target is no different than other big chain stores like Wal-Mart, Costco, etc. in that there a lot of cross-border differences in prices and selection.

Speaking to JamieDavid's comment, I think Target is more of a neighbourhood store than a mega-destination one-location-per-market store like IKEA. They need to have multiple locations because people aren't going to drive across town to pick up paper towels, a pair of shoes and a tea kettle at Target when they could just go to Wal-Mart in their area instead.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 2:20 PM

Regarding Target, I think the issue is that Canada got something closer to the 1980s Colombia Mall location than the modern Super Targets that most people have come to know. Add in the unreal expectation that they would carry the "not available in Canada" products and things were setup from the start to lead to disappointment.

One of the things Walmart has done well, and it took many years to get there, was putting stores close to people and making it a comon go to place for items people need. Another thing Walmart has done well in Canada is knowing that people sometimes want to or need to shop outside the common 9 to 9 window so they have extended hours.

If Target can tread water in the Canadian market for about five years and get expansions and purpose built Super Targets in place I think their long term prospect is strong here as people really want an alternative to Walmart that is essentially a Walmart.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 6:27 AM

Any news about the old Zellers location at Polo Park?

Went by there yesterday and notice that the mall entrance is now boarded up with a Manshield Construction sign up.
As well, the 2 skywalks from the Zellers exits to the 2nd floor parkade are also boarded up down to ground level.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 1:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Any news about the old Zellers location at Polo Park?

Went by there yesterday and notice that the mall entrance is now boarded up with a Manshield Construction sign up.
As well, the 2 skywalks from the Zellers exits to the 2nd floor parkade are also boarded up down to ground level.
It is being subdivided into between 20 - 25 retail spaces depending on leasing. Either way there will be a new corridor and two dozen or so new stores.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:05 PM

In terms of public statements on the subject the Polo Park Zeller's is still tenantively slated to become a Target and some unknown entity is build at the corner of St James and St Matthews. Of course it is a secretly so poorly kept it makes the Bombers board seem leak proof - the construction at St James and St Matthews will be a number of Canadian firsts - first purpose built Target in Canada, first Super Target in Canada and first urban-format Target in Canada. It may also be the first single floor target built over surfae level parking anywhere. That is all just "rumor" though as none of it has been offically declared in a public statement.

As for the Polo Park mall redevelopment, the construction will see some of the existing tenants relocate, specifically Eddie Bower which moved into the old second floor enterance for Zeller's when they took over the Bretton's space. It is possible there will be more relocations too both to few up room for larger tenants such as H&M and Zara and to potentinally create a new "high end" wing. If you really want to scout out who might be coming here compare the list of what is in places like Metropolis and Chinock Centre and identifiy who is there but not at Polo Park. There is also a chance that some new to Canada stores will open there but that is more a long shot call.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:35 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In terms of public statements on the subject the Polo Park Zeller's is still tenantively slated to become a Target and some unknown entity is build at the corner of St James and St Matthews. Of course it is a secretly so poorly kept it makes the Bombers board seem leak proof - the construction at St James and St Matthews will be a number of Canadian firsts - first purpose built Target in Canada, first Super Target in Canada and first urban-format Target in Canada. It may also be the first single floor target built over surfae level parking anywhere. That is all just "rumor" though as none of it has been offically declared in a public statement.
It was public knowledge nearly a year ago.

This was in the Winnipeg Sun last October.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/10/0...n-in-polo-park

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 3:17 PM

Stories like that one are exactly my point h0twired, it was not formally announced there as the land deal was still even tenative at that time. Neither Target, nor the landlord, Cadallic Fairview, have confirmed what is happening with Target in the Polo Park area. It won't be a surprise when it comes through though as everyone knows what is happening. Honestly, I would have expected a bigger announcement consider the stores urban design and what is likely to be the first built-from-scratch Target to open in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:07 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Stories like that one are exactly my point h0twired, it was not formally announced there as the land deal was still even tenative at that time. Neither Target, nor the landlord, Cadallic Fairview, have confirmed what is happening with Target in the Polo Park area. It won't be a surprise when it comes through though as everyone knows what is happening. Honestly, I would have expected a bigger announcement consider the stores urban design and what is likely to be the first built-from-scratch Target to open in Canada.
The thing you have to remember is this is a private project. They don't have to say or publicly confirm anything.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The thing you have to remember is this is a private project. They don't have to say or publicly confirm anything.
Reminds me of Project W

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan