HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Two Gilmore Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 7:26 AM

Not on the shoreline, in the middle of the Strait of Georgia. It would be loaded on barges somewhere along the Fraser.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Not on the shoreline, in the middle of the Strait of Georgia. It would be loaded on barges somewhere along the Fraser.
Yeah, there's an official earth dumping site in the middle of the Straight of Georgia

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 3:19 PM

Oh wow, that is super interesting. I didn't know they load it on barges and take it to the middle of strait. Anyone know more about the location and how long this has been going on? I am sure they cannot do this with spoiled soil or construction garbage, so curious how they filter everything.

I would also be curious to see some underwater radar of the dirt pile, as it must amount to something after few years of dumping...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Oh wow, that is super interesting. I didn't know they load it on barges and take it to the middle of strait. Anyone know more about the location and how long this has been going on? I am sure they cannot do this with spoiled soil or construction garbage, so curious how they filter everything.

I would also be curious to see some underwater radar of the dirt pile, as it must amount to something after few years of dumping...
Lots of information here

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...al-at-sea.html

Some of the BC sites

Cape Mudge, Malaspina Strait, Comox (Cape Lazo), Five Finger Island, Watts Point, Thornbrough Channel, Point Grey, and Porlier Pass

Point Grey is 6km west of Wreck Beach

Quote:
Officially opened in 1976, the site received about 22.1 million cubic metres of material to 2014, including 2.3 million cubic metres dumped there from 1930 to 1976. The site has a radius of one nautical mile and is situated at a depth of 240 metres.
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...30%20to%201976.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

It's only clean fill that ends up in the Straight of Georgia. Anything that has pollutants or other material has to be dealt with elsewhere, or landfilled. Most material below the topsoil layers is clean, unless it's an old gas station site, for example.

The locations are selected on the basis that adding more material into the seabed won't make any significant difference because of the natural processes already adding huge amounts of silt washing down. See this example of the Fraser River for example, which discharges 20 million tons (57 million cubic metres) of sediment a year into the ocean. That's the 'Fraser River plume' seen in a view from the International Space Station. Astronaut photograph ISS040-E-138806, taken September 6, 2014 (courtesy of NASA). B. A line in the water: the silty Fraser River plume (right) meets marine waters of the strait (left). View looking northwest from aboard the MV Spirit of British Columbia. (Photo: A. Chang, taken June 3, 2019.)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 12:20 AM

From March 25.

Gilmore rising by clearbrook4, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 9:07 PM

2022, April 13

Untitled by Lexus LX570, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 9:35 PM

Love the photos. I don't get out that way much. Would love to know the latest $$$ psf on this one. Wonder if the were indeed at about $1,200 or if they raised prices recently.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Love the photos. I don't get out that way much. Would love to know the latest $$$ psf on this one. Wonder if the were indeed at about $1,200 or if they raised prices recently.
From what I understand the most recent sales are averaging $1,250/SF. Pricing is up about 30-40% since they first launched in 2018 (then around $925/sf).

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 2:24 AM

The fact that this will be BC's tallest (For now) is Kind of surreal

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 2:16 PM

Will it be noticably taller than the Brentwood condos?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 2:18 PM

It's downhill from them so I don't think they will appear much taller as part of the skyline.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoInvestor View Post
Will it be noticably taller than the Brentwood condos?
Quick maths:

Brentwood Two = 186m
Gilmore Two = 215m

According to https://en-ca.topographic-map.com/maps/jj7v/Burnaby/

Brentwood Two base elevation = 51m ASL
Gilmore Two base elevation = 22m ASL

Brentwood Two physical height = 186 + 51 = 237m
Gilmore Two physical height = 215 + 22 = 237m

Looks like physically they'll be exactly the same height

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
From what I understand the most recent sales are averaging $1,250/SF. Pricing is up about 30-40% since they first launched in 2018 (then around $925/sf).
Yes! That's amazing it's over $1,200. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Quick maths:

Brentwood Two physical height = 186 + 51 = 237m
Gilmore Two physical height = 215 + 22 = 237m

Looks like physically they'll be exactly the same height
Thanks for the calculation!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Yes! That's amazing it's over $1,200. Thanks.
Truly amazing… an 800sqft condo is a million bucks. Real sustainable. For a suburb

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 4:09 AM

still affordable compared to $2m average detached houses in the area

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 7:07 AM

Quote:
"affordable" for whom?

This is nonsensical reasoning or just plain careless (and wilful) misuse and abuse of the English language.

By your logic, it's obviously "affordable" compared to some $10 Million mansion or Penthouse unit in the area.
It's clearly more "affordable" compared to a $3 million Maserati parked outside someone's mansion.

As long as "compared" is doing more work in your comment than makes plain basic sense while "affordable" is essentially reduced to meaningless, you can use that logic to justify anything that's objectively expensive as being "affordable".

For whom?

As long as you can compare it to something more expensive and possibly within proximity, then I guess it's "affordable" (????!?!?)

No wonder this city is suffering from an affordability crisis when people make inane comments like that and think it's normal.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
No wonder this city is suffering from an affordability crisis when people make inane comments like that and think it's normal.
No wonder this form goes from civil to uncivil when people call out others for expressing their point of view.

- It MAY be affordable to someone who bought their first condo in Langley 6 years ago and now is using the equity they have built to move back closer to downtown.
- It MAY not be wise to choose a brand new building with great amenities as your first home purchase.

Just chill. This isn't Twitter.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 2:38 AM

Quote:
No. Those homes are at least 2000+sqft. If they’re 2 million dollars that’s still only $1000/sqft. And a yard. And possibilities of a rental suite in the basement.

It’s NOT affordable even if you compare it to a house AND why would you compare it to a house? It’s not a house. It’s complete downgrade of a house. I’m sorry if I’m wrong but I thought, and I’m sure so do a lot of us, as that’s what we’re constantly being told, is that all these condos are supposed to alleviate the housing crisis and if more supply = less demand = lower costs. That doesn’t seem to be the case since this building isn’t even 1/3rd of the way done and prices are already skyrocketing to half a million for a 400sqft unit and 1 million for an 800 sqft unit. I’ve lived in an 880sqft 2 bedroom before and do you realize how small that is? I’m sure if this developer is following the trend of most, the units are probably smaller than that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley