HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:58 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Just like Canadian Tire money, the relative amount of reward has declined to the point that it is just a complete waste of time.

Airmiles is also useless.

And fuck Galen Weston and optimum points.
Galen Weston is a rich ass but sadly his rewards system is one of the best. It seems I'm able to redeem at least $10 after spending maybe $60 at his monopoly of grocery and drug stores. It helps that I only use the PC Financial World Elite Mastercard exclusively in his kingdom.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

True. One cannot save when buying shit at Shopper's Dog Fart, as everything there is double (or triple) the price of Walmart. Since Galen and Blawlobs bought SDM, he has quietly jacked up the prices.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:54 PM

CT reward system is actually decent too. Just bought cat litter and got $1.25. With bigger purchases it’s easy to get $10-$20 in one shot. You just need to use the app and activate the multipliers. For those who don’t like to use apps, well it’s probably not worth it though.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
Two coffees and a donut so far (out of about 8 virtual rolls). One thing I notice (separate from the RUtR contest) is the number of "points" required to purchase a coffee has skyrocketed... IIRC you used to be able to "point buy" an 80-point coffee with about 8 purchases. Now it's based on $ spent (10 per dollar, I believe). Which means $40 of purchases to get one coffee.
Yes, the required points went up but the points earned also went up. If you are a person who only bought one coffee or tea at a time, then you lose out on the new program. Almost everyone else gains on it, as far as I'm concerned. The 10 point per transaction was just stupid. I usually go there for breakfast on the weekend. Quite often, I buy for 3 or 4 people. One morning a few weeks ago, my bill was over $30. Under the old system, I got the same 10 points as someone buying one coffee. I don't think someone spending 14 bucks and getting a freebie is what the program was really designed for.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 3:02 AM

Anybody think that Tim's has reached its peak yet in terms of the total number of locations in Canada? They are going to have to improve their menu, especially the food, if they want to be sustainable as a company. The loaded wraps and bowls are a very poor attempt at trying to be trendy as an example. I'm finding that I can get better ready-made food at the grocery store and even some convenience stores than Tim's.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Anybody think that Tim's has reached its peak yet in terms of the total number of locations in Canada? They are going to have to improve their menu, especially the food, if they want to be sustainable as a company. The loaded wraps and bowls are a very poor attempt at trying to be trendy as an example. I'm finding that I can get better ready-made food at the grocery store and even some convenience stores than Tim's.
They’re still opening new locations in Southwestern Ontario. There’s a new one in London in the River Bend area that just opened either just before or early on in the pandemic. I believe the location in Mount Brydges is also a recent addition.

Whether this trend continues is a whole other question. The way I see it, for every one of us who rarely or never goes there, there are plenty of Canadians who enjoy it and will go out of their way to go there. And in suburban London nobody’s lining up to open a local competitor.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:27 AM

I only ever got their doughnuts as a kid, but the quality declined so much I stopped eating doughnuts for years. I lost over 50 pounds in 2022 so I started eating doughnuts again this year to try to gain weight and of course I turned to Krispy Kreme since I live only 10 minutes walk away. I always associated Tim Hortons with doughnuts and without that they are dead as far as I am concerned.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I don’t see them opening many new locations personally. Their focus has shifted to international markets. I read recently that in about 5 years, there’s going to be more Tim’s in the rest of the world than in Canada.

As for their loaded wraps, yeah I don’t see the point. I’d rather get a burrito at Quesada at this point, for about the same price, because it’s going to taste good at least. I think they’re trying flatbread pizzas now. They do have a “throw it on the wall and see if it sticks” approach. I remember they tried poutine a few years ago and it failed. Didn’t they also try burgers? They tried so many things I can’t even recall.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 12:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Those potato wedges at Rimmie's are an obscenity. Worst of all, was their "grilled cheese". How can you fuck up a grilled cheese sandwich? Yet it tasted like two shingles with some palm oil.

Ain't nothing grilled here. I doubt it is even technically cheese:

They can't even make decent-tasting donuts anymore. Tim Horton must be rolling over in his grave.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 12:58 PM

Definitely seen a slow down in their pace of new openings. Last new one in the London area I can think of off the top of my head is in Belmont, just southeast of the city, in the fall. Probably been 3 years since the last new one within the city, but there have been a ton of relocations or renovations going on. They closed one that was in a tight plaza (that was actually a Coffee Time or something before and Timmy's just walked in, changed the signs and didn't renovate or anything) and built a new one down the block. Another nearby they closed because it was in a strip plaza with no drive thru, so they built another new one up the road. I can't really think of any area that is in need of one.

Strangely enough though, I think there are 4 new McDonalds working their way through city approvals right now.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Yes, the required points went up but the points earned also went up. If you are a person who only bought one coffee or tea at a time, then you lose out on the new program.
I'd hazard to say the majority now loses out, given that. "Buy 10, get one free" is pretty common practice for loyalty rewards. "Buy 40, get one free" ... is not. Either way, great business decision for Tim's, as they get to pay out a lot less.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 2:01 PM

Quote:
I'd hazard to say the majority now loses out, given that. "Buy 10, get one free" is pretty common practice for loyalty rewards. "Buy 40, get one free" ... is not. Either way, great business decision for Tim's, as they get to pay out a lot less.
It's not buy 40, it's spend $40. And why reward single coffee purchasers for taking up space from those buying multiple items? The majority of cars in front of me usually have a bag passed over to them in addition to the coffee (or multiple coffees). Selling coffee doesn't pay the bills, or they wouldn't be trying to come up with all these other food items. I'm not sure how McDonalds works, but I'm pretty sure you get rewarded for spending more there than just the basic points for buying one single item no matter how many items you buy.

Maybe they end up paying out less in free coffee, but I'm about to go grab a free breakfast sandwich with the points I earned on visits that under the old system wouldn't have earned me a coffee yet.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Why reward single coffee purchasers for taking up space from those buying multiple items? The majority of cars in front of me usually have a bag passed over to them in addition to the coffee (or multiple coffees).
Hey, man... I envision a perfect world where we can both get what we want out of this, without either of us losing.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
As for their loaded wraps, yeah I don’t see the point. I’d rather get a burrito at Quesada at this point, for about the same price, because it’s going to taste good at least. I think they’re trying flatbread pizzas now. They do have a “throw it on the wall and see if it sticks” approach. I remember they tried poutine a few years ago and it failed. Didn’t they also try burgers? They tried so many things I can’t even recall.
Yep, they had burgers. They also had lasagna at one point in 2012.

On another note, I notice Tim's has started advertising to hire for their restaurants, advertising "perks" like hockey card trading night, and getting to know the regulars.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Yep, they had burgers. They also had lasagna at one point in 2012.
Stay in your lane, Timmies!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Stay in your lane, Timmies!
I wish they'd go back to the bread-and-butter of what made them great. Coffee, donuts, a couple of sandwiches, and a couple of soups. They were at their peak in about 2001, which is oddly enough while they were under Wendy's ownership. They can introduce new items but they should stick to the basics - so maybe new donuts or sandwiches from time to time. Their Tim Biebs promotion was probably one of the few good product promotions in recent years.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Bring back the Chili Bread Bowls. Get rid of the fucking potato wedges and artisan bowls. Get some decent coffee, and start making donuts the way that they should be, in the back room with deep fryer vats (hello Krispy Kreme), and not in some shitty factory in Brantford, flash-frozen and shipped across the country. Bring back the counters, and the matronly ladies serving you coffee and a slice of pie.

Fuck the potato wedges. Tim Horton's is pretty much 100% hot garbage now.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 7:42 PM
Great White Norf

I haven't purchased Tim's coffee or food since the pandemic began and both my bank account and waistline are happier
I do miss overhearing what the local seniors are crowing about. Sometimes it's gibberish, years ago it was "I like that Ian Hanomansing. He deserves to be the replacement for Peter Mansbridge" and I walked by and burst out "I totally agree"

Now I just make coffee at home, get treats occasionally from the local bakery.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Bring back the Chili Bread Bowls.
This!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Now I just make coffee at home, get treats occasionally from the local bakery.
I wish I could do that. Working from home 3 days a week, I always end up grabbing a coffee at my local Tims because I just want to get out of the house. And my local bakery is sadly way overpriced.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada