HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 11:43 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
So this is interesting, Wildernesses opening a new brewpub at 1428 E Mcdowel Road only like 2 miles from the Roosevelt location.

I hope they arent closing on Roosevelt.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...oenix-16060189
Everything I've read says that the location on McDowell is in addition to, not in place of, the existing one on Roosevelt.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 3:37 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Everything I've read says that the location on McDowell is in addition to, not in place of, the existing one on Roosevelt.
Yea, it will be a separate additional location. This is huge for the Miracle Mile district. I am dying to see this are revitalized and this could give it a big push.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Yea, it will be a separate additional location. This is huge for the Miracle Mile district. I am dying to see this are revitalized and this could give it a big push.
HUGE! They bought the property too. Such a great building with awesome potential!
Project was originally part of "Clio Phx" when the building was being rehabbed by Harder Development - here are some pics of the building and its interior.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I recall the city planning to redo the street along this area as well. Anyone know if that's still on the table? This area is definitely beginning to tip

Edit: They got feedback that the public wants bike lanes so they are looking at incorporating them. The wording sounds like they were hesitant due to McDowell being an arterial but running parallel to the freeway probably helps alleviate traffic compared to the other streets.

Last edited by PyroD; Apr 26, 2023 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post
I recall the city planning to redo the street along this area as well. Anyone know if that's still on the table? This area is definitely beginning to tip

Edit: They got feedback that the public wants bike lanes so they are looking at incorporating them. The wording sounds like they were hesitant due to McDowell being an arterial but running parallel to the freeway probably helps alleviate traffic compared to the other streets.
https://www.phoenix.gov/streets/mcdowell7to51

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_PHX View Post
HUGE! They bought the property too. Such a great building with awesome potential!
Project was originally part of "Clio Phx" when the building was being rehabbed by Harder Development - here are some pics of the building and its interior.
Cool bones on the inside. Awful street presence.

At the rate the city moves, I'm sure we'll have this new restaurant in just a few short years. I talked to a restauranteur just the other day who has a major project going (I surmise you have heard of them) and their tale of woe of getting slow rolled on basic stuff by the CoP is sad.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 9:48 PM
METRO: Encanto

I went to Coabana for the first time on Tuesday. There was quite a crowd going considering it was a Tuesday and the Diamondbacks were playing the Marlins. I'd give the Cubano Sandwich a B+ but the tostones were dry and tasteless. Still, decided this was the place for Mothers Day carryout. I tried calling them and got an "unable to complete your call" message, which persists today. No response to FB or IG messages. Did they go out of business?

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 2:59 AM
Skyriser

Nobody responds to social networking in a timely manner, much less picks up the phone, and the manager probably works tuesday - saturday anyways.

Unlikely for a busy place to go belly up with no notice either.

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 11:53 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Nobody responds to social networking in a timely manner, much less picks up the phone, and the manager probably works tuesday - saturday anyways.

Unlikely for a busy place to go belly up with no notice either.
Actually a place that does carryout does tend to answer the phone.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 4:48 PM

I hadnt seen renderings for the new restaurunt replacing the Roosevlet Pocket park.

This article shows some pretty shameful NIMBYism of some local Roosevelt Businesses. They dont want it to preserve some artsy vibe that's been gone for years. Unless im supposed to believe Wilderness, PedalHaus, and Breakfast Bitch are more arttsy lol

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/art...3&ei=7#image=1

Quote:
PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -- A new Mexican bar and restaurant already in cities like Denver, Dallas and Chicago could be coming to the Phoenix area. The city approved the zoning permits, but locals are pushing back. At least 25 business owners in Roosevelt Row oppose the project because they say the chain does not fit the arts community and culture.

Roosevelt Row is about a mile northeast of downtown Phoenix, full of murals, boutiques and restaurants. “It’s such an experience. And it’s not just an experience through the eyes, through the taste, smell and hearing. It’s the heart. You can feel the care and love and thoughtfulness of this entire neighborhood,” said Stephanie Vasquez, owner of Fair Trade Cafe.

Like the surrounding neighborhoods, it’s had its share of rapid growth in recent years. “It’s not an adaptive reuse; it’s a new build. That’s highly different than what we outlined here in the character district,” said Kimber Lanning, owner of Modified Arts.

It’s a unique character that business owners are afraid of losing with this project. “If you look at my coffee shop, I sit at about 2,100 square feet. That’s 10x the size of what my shop is and what the normal, average business is here in the neighborhood,” Vasquez said..

Carla Wade Logan, the co-owner of Carly’s Bistro, who has been in the area for over 10 years, also feels the same. “There’s real concern on what’s going to happen in our future for rent a viability for future small businesses to be successful,” she said.

According to a spokesperson, the concept is a Mexican bar and restaurant similar to one already in Chicago. In a statement, they say, “The project will add to and support the existing arts community.” The development would be in a vacant lot near 2nd Street and Roosevelt. The new bar and restaurant applied for a series 6 license, which most bars have. However, Carly’s Bistro has a series 12, the kind of license Logan says most restaurants have. “There’s concern that volume of liquor sales could be problematic for the community,” she said.

The Board of Adjustment scheduled a meeting for Thursday to discuss a couple of variance requests. The outcome may decide the fate of the project.

The developer says they’ll decide on the restaurant’s name once they receive the building permit. “We definitely want to keep the family-friendly reputation that we have,” Lanning said.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 4:57 PM
self-important urbanista

“We definitely want to keep the family-friendly reputation that we have,” Lanning said.

While I admire the sentiment, I think that battle was lost when businesses with names like "Breakfast Bitch" and "Fuck You, Pay Me" opened in the area.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:04 PM
Skyriser

^ A chain with a full bar license does pose a problem in an area of independent businesses, most of whom don't have the full bar license anyways. It would also be the first non-fast food restaurant like that in that area to be purposefully built for that use and not otherwise in a mixed use or adaptive reuse development. In terms of square footage, it looks like it'd dwarf anything around.

I also suspect that a lot of people don't want a repeat of the series of spaces that were on that 3rd St corner and basically introduced a lot of problems into the area.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:38 PM

Roosevelt Row folks just like to complain.

"I'm sorry I wasn't involved in the design phase so I'm opposed. I just can't see why I wasn't consulted?"

As if Carly's Bistro did a poll of the community before developing their menu (which I like quite a bit btw).

This stuff can be so tedious.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:54 PM

As a RR resident, I am somewhat sympathetic of any complaints that stem from the fact that we are getting a chain Mexican restaurant in Phoenix (RIP to the old Paz ).

But anything about losing the "artsy" nature of the row, or of the space being too big, or of the operator being a chain is totally overblown. Just around the corner is the Palma/Ghost Donkey/Châm Pang Lanes concept. That is a huge space, and it's operated by a MUCH larger group than the Federales folks. Nobody cares, because it's a cool space and it works in the neighboorhood. The people opening Federales have lots of great bar concepts in Chicago, I'm optimistic they will open a space that will be a great addition.

The guys who own Pedal Haus and Wilderness are big boys, they will be OK--anyone who has been in the RR area recently knows how busy those places are.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:37 PM

Carly's has been there going on 20 years, which is crazy. I remember when it was brand new. My now-wife even used to help Carla out on days like First Fridays serving for her. I imagine now busy days and nights in the restaurant are much more common.

Things change, it's the way it is. Just because something is a chain, doesn't mean it is inherently terrible. If you're a great and well-run local place or mom & pop, you'll survive and thrive no matter what.

As mentioned, the Roosevelt Row folks just love to complain, or feel important and active in the community. Things can get overblown or the "activists" can get tunnel vision of wholly detrimental nonsense.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 7:46 PM

Quote:
^ A chain with a full bar license does pose a problem in an area of independent businesses, most of whom don't have the full bar license anyways. It would also be the first non-fast food restaurant like that in that area to be purposefully built for that use and not otherwise in a mixed use or adaptive reuse development. In terms of square footage, it looks like it'd dwarf anything around.

I also suspect that a lot of people don't want a repeat of the series of spaces that were on that 3rd St corner and basically introduced a lot of problems into the area.
Chains like Ghost Donkey, Wilderness, Breakfast Bitch, PedalHaus, Ikes Sandwiches.

The idea that RR is still trying to maintain some eclectic artsy flavor rings hollow to me.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 7:55 PM
Skyriser

^ I didn't know Ikes sold hard liquor.

I think you spend more time arguing than reading.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 7:57 PM

vegetarian

Went to Sin Muerte (without death) 817 n 1nd st in an old funeral home.

best vegan/vegetarian since the old brag pie factory place.

Michael babcock of welcome diner fame is part of it.

im not vegetarian, nor was anyone in my group, and we all loved it!.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 8:15 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
Went to Sin Muerte (without death) 817 n 1nd st in an old funeral home.

best vegan/vegetarian since the old brag pie factory place.

Michael babcock of welcome diner fame is part of it.

im not vegetarian, nor was anyone in my group, and we all loved it!.
I’ve been twice and was impressed both times.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 8:26 PM

Quote:
^ I didn't know Ikes sold hard liquor.

I think you spend more time arguing than reading.
Oh I guess the other chains dont count then>?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest