HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Sounds like some Toronto people are losing it realizing Vancouver will get more games than them. When you think so highly of yourself then a massive international organization disagrees lol.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 8:51 PM

2026 FIFA World Cup host cities announcement LIVE at 5pm et/2pm pt on TSN1/5, streaming on TSN Direct and on TSN.ca. (and Fox Sports 1)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
You're joking!!
Toronto would lose their minds oh man too good to be true.
Or is it??

Last edited by Denscity; Jun 16, 2022 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:34 PM

Vancouver, Toronto are in. Edmonton is out.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:43 PM

Way to go Toronto, all the other cities have some pretty recognizable people welcoming the World Cup and you serve up John “nearly dead” Tory??

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:54 PM

That was lame, I don't even think he was properly miked.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Way to go Toronto, all the other cities have some pretty recognizable people welcoming the World Cup and you serve up John “nearly dead” Tory??
������������������������������������������������������
Haha I noticed that!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is it really out of the question to host the World Cup matches at Skydome? I get that Toronto likes BMO Field but in terms of the international stage it's not exactly the most impressive stadium. If there was no other choice then it could do, but why force the World Cup in there when there's a bigger, better venue down the road? It would be like if LA hosted at that place where the Galaxy plays instead of the LA Memorial Coliseum.
Given the big renovations that are starting this winter, it probably would be out of the question. One of the big things apparently on the list is re-doing the lower bowl of seats and after that, a soccer or football will no longer be doable. I had heard previously that the field renovation 4 or 5 years ago when the dirt infield was installed already precluded installing the other field, but that might have also just been a matter of the covering over the infield with artificial turf and that not being suitable to play on. But a World Cup would have a grass field installed over top anyway, (I'm assuming anyway), so that part wouldn't matter in the current stadium. But the renovation would likely preclude its use.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:15 PM
Community Guy

Not really surprising given that you want the largest, sexiest, best markets... but this really stung for me and all of Edmonton.

That said, congratulations to all of the host cities.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:26 PM

Doubly gutting for Edmonton thinking about the water Edmonton's host city bid carried for the Canadian portion of the joint bid. With Montreal and Toronto out, imagine if Edmonton would have folded as well... Would have looked pretty ridiculous over the last few years with Canada rolling out 1 city in Toronto with BMO field.

Obviously congrats to the cities selected but I would love to hear why Canada was shunned from having the expected 3 host cities but Mexico was able to manage.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:30 PM
Community Guy

Minister of Culture Ron Orr issued the following statement on the recent FIFA World Cup 2026 host city announcement:

“We share in the collective disappointment with soccer fans here in Alberta and across Canada that Edmonton was not chosen as one of the host cities for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

“It is unfortunate that soccer fans will not experience the beauty and vibrancy of Edmonton and our province as a whole. Alberta’s government worked hard and committed a significant financial sum to help the bid along. Our province has hosted countless world-class sporting events. Commonwealth Stadium is the biggest facility in Western Canada and would play an excellent host.

“While they won’t have the opportunity to see the games here, we do hope fans visiting Canada watch the matches and take the opportunity to travel to Alberta and experience our first-class western hospitality, our picturesque landscapes and our energetic cities.

“I wish to thank the City of Edmonton for its courage and vision. Your enthusiasm for these games has been noteworthy. We share your disappointment with this decision. I congratulate the successful 2026 FIFA World Cup host cities.”

Media inquiries

Savannah Johannsen
780-686-3521
Press Secretary, Culture and Status of Women

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:39 PM
Community Guy

@FIFAWorldCup
Your #FIFAWorldCup 2026 Host Cities:

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:45 PM

Congrats to the host cities in Canada.

Edmonton got screwed, but what are you gonna do?

Glad BC Place will be getting the majority of games if the rumours of 6 games is true. It's the closest thing to a World Class Stadium in Canada factoring in the recent renovations.

BMO Field will be the only stadium that will require temporary seats. Oof. Oh well, I guess some city has to have the worst stadium in the World Cup.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
@FIFAWorldCup
Your #FIFAWorldCup 2026 Host Cities:

Kansas City and no Chicago?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:14 PM

Would be very interested to know the reasons why Edmonton wasn't chosen. IIRC the plan was always to have three host cities; plan must have changed once Montreal dropped out. Absolute joke that Mexico gets three cities and we don't.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:27 PM

If I recall correctly, Canada would be getting 2 round of 16 games. I wonder if that's where the 2 extra games to Vancouver comes from, given the huge disparity between BMO and BC Place. That would be huge for Vancouver as you would likely see at least a couple high profile soccer countries like Brazil or France playing here.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Kansas City and no Chicago?
Chicago like Vancouver pulled out of hosting because of the FIFA requirements in the early stages. Vancouver managed to weaseled it's way back however.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Would be very interested to know the reasons why Edmonton wasn't chosen. IIRC the plan was always to have three host cities; plan must have changed once Montreal dropped out. Absolute joke that Mexico gets three cities and we don't.
Apparently Jason Kennedy was demanding Edmonton get 5 games in order to get provincial funding. FIFA said no and asked Vancouver to come back in the bidding process.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:43 PM

Good for both Van and TO. Those 2 cities make the most sense without question. It’s just too bad Toronto has such an amateur stadium to host the Worlds biggest event.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 11:47 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada