HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
OLD FOLKS??? Well!!!!! (arthritic hands on arthritic hips), OK, I qualify I guess. First of all, we've seen renders pre date construction by years before, common, that did or did not make it to fruition. Before pre -renders we always can rely on the rumor mill or pre announcements via "Reliable" sources. My building engineering friend told me about a 75 story being planned...6X, albeit 7 floors shorter than he said, I broke the news here, but he also said a Virgin Hotel was coming. Still waiting on that. As far as the plumbing and equipment schedule from Leaker 2, I don't see any evidence linking that to this project. I also don't get why leak this instead of something cool like type / color exterior glass and building materials. Perhaps he or she was just trusted with potty information which if this list is legit, they failed. So my jury is still out on whether or not to consider this credible or even realistic evidence. I think its too early for PPP, (premature porcelain planning.) One more thing. We have had people posting on various threads here, from ABIA, to buildings under construction who either had to delete their posts or asked us to delete our replies to their posts because they talked about things they shouldn't have. A lot of people visit this forum and it seems some of them frown upon leaked info to the point there is a fear of retaliation among the leakers, including my former source. I can say with certainty the answer to your question is no, there hasn't, including this project. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see this as anything unusual, other than the PPP fake leak.

That's quite the rant. For what it's worth, the bathroom plumbing info is for real. It's all from a ~600 page design document which happens to include boring shit like plumbing & electrical stuff as well as cool things like renderings and elevations. There are also renderings that I haven't posted because they are just slight variations of the viewing angles of the street/creek & amenities areas already posted.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That's quite the rant. For what it's worth, the bathroom plumbing info is for real. It's all from a ~600 page design document which happens to include boring shit like plumbing & electrical stuff as well as cool things like renderings and elevations. There are also renderings that I haven't posted because they are just slight variations of the viewing angles of the street/creek & amenities areas already posted.
I stand rightfully corrected. Seemed a bit odd to mention just sinks and toilets on a huge project like this. That's why I questioned it. Well your explanation should make a lot of people even more excited about the reality of this getting built. And btw, if anyone would like any of those fixtures, they are available on Amazon, but then again, what isn't.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 3:32 PM

I guess the thing that struck me is the level of completeness (a 600 page BOOK!) that ATX was given. I've seen quality rumors pop up and drop away here quite a bit -- contributed some myself -- but they're word of mouth, friend of a friend, guy I met at a bar kinda stuff. Seems to me a full on purposeful LEAK to us is another thing entirely.

What I'm trying to say is -- we're a community worth leaking to. Which is freakin' RAD.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:49 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Great information. We'll take every leak we can get!

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oGRFz...IbGo/giphy.gif

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 4:27 PM

I step away from this thread for just a minute and .... I....

Excited for potty supertall!!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
This tower is ugly. I think many of you agree but are too shy to criticize what would be huge addition to the Austin skyline. There's no symmetry or continuity because the sections look like they were designed by different architects. Austin can absolutely do better than this. At least the Molar is symmetrical and and obvious sides.
Well, I'm not too shy to speak up. I actually like this one. And it's growing on me more every time I look at it. It's funky and misshapen but not so much that I'm opposed to it.

But I know how you feel. I hate Block 185 but I've resigned myself to the fact that no one else does. It happens that way sometimes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Can't like all of them.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 8:20 PM

Well, the crown does kinda look like an outhouse.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 6:36 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

I just cant get with the crown. It ruins it for me. If the crown were finished centered with a spire, Im thinking 1/2 the length of Fairmont's spire then maybe. The off centered top makes it look like a graduation cap, just need a tassle to hang from the side lol I guess thats ironic it looks like that since Austin would be graduating to supertall status.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLove View Post
I just cant get with the crown. It ruins it for me. If the crown were finished centered with a spire, Im thinking 1/2 the length of Fairmont's spire then maybe. The off centered top makes it look like a graduation cap, just need a tassle to hang from the side lol I guess thats ironic it looks like that since Austin would be graduating to supertall status.
Yeah, I actually agree. I wonder how much of a pain it would be for them to straighten out the lines and add a little to this one....

Y'all know how I feel about the lazy disjointed lines trend

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Yeah, I actually agree. I wonder how much of a pain it would be for them to straighten out the lines and add a little to this one....

Y'all know how I feel about the lazy disjointed lines trend
i think the diagonal lines on skyscrapers will be very regrettable to everyone in hindsight. hilton on rainey incorporates it a bit and it is quite ghastly. the lack of symmetry is also very frustrating. that's architecture 101 stuff

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 2:14 PM

Agreed, re: lack of symmetry. None of the segments relate to one another.
They don't even fit, one to the other. It's like someone took segments of several different buildings and Gorilla Glued them together in no particular order. "Look Mom, I made a supertall!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 2:27 PM

It's almost unbelievable to be honest. It seems to intentionally disobey every rule of aesthetic building at scale. I keep on waiting for the "april fools" moment

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Agreed, re: lack of symmetry. None of the segments relate to one another.
They don't even fit, one to the other. It's like someone took segments of several different buildings and Gorilla Glued them together in no particular order. "Look Mom, I made a supertall!"
I think that's what makes it looks cool.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:40 PM

We seem to be leaning towards office / residential mixes. Aside from the Quincy which is done almost seamlessly, this may be the future. While I agree with all the less than stellar remarks about this one, especially the crown, I'm still amazed about how cynical we've become, including me, when discussing a supertall we're finally getting, and how unorthodox it is. The bright side I see here, is that it is unconventional, controversial, and certainly different, good or bad. I used to have a problem with 6X, but after seeing this, I'm much happier with it because its more cohesive floor to roof. Once this reaches new heights, I think we will be blown away by the shear scope of it, if not the aesthetics. Until then, we can only hope for some design changes, but with a 600 page design document already produced, I find that unlikely, so I'm going to try to embrace this for what it is.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
We seem to be leaning towards office / residential mixes. Aside from the Quincy which is done almost seamlessly, this may be the future. While I agree with all the less than stellar remarks about this one, especially the crown, I'm still amazed about how cynical we've become, including me, when discussing a supertall we're finally getting, and how unorthodox it is. The bright side I see here, is that it is unconventional, controversial, and certainly different, good or bad. I used to have a problem with 6X, but after seeing this, I'm much happier with it because its more cohesive floor to roof. Once this reaches new heights, I think we will be blown away by the shear scope of it, if not the aesthetics. Until then, we can only hope for some design changes, but with a 600 page design document already produced, I find that unlikely, so I'm going to try to embrace this for what it is.
Tell us how you feel about Third + Shoal.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I think that's what makes it looks cool.
Fair. I think for me -- and it's an asthetic preference, totally -- it would be a fantastic design in an Asian or ME megacity, where it's one huge building creating contrasts among other huge buildings. For this to be our ONLY supertall, it's going to dominate everything, but be really incongruous and off putting at the same time.

#yousaytomato

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:10 PM

While I'm still excited for this one to go up, I think the sheer amount of buildings in Austin which have this same disjointed aesthetic will serve as a sobering need for correction.

I think neo-NEEEEO classical/gothic architecture is coming back and we'll need to mix it up here and there to have some diversity. Doesn't this kinda just feel too easy? Like the architect is saying "this isn't a normal tower, it's a FUN tower!" ***again, I still like this a bunch***

I totally agree with Genral tho, we've definitely become spoiled since the days of wishing and praying T. Stacy would build a 700+ft tower along Congress or Brazos. I can only hope someone peeps on here and takes note with the crown.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Tell us how you feel about Third + Shoal.
I have fully embraced it and LOVE the way they covered the parking garage. A benchmark, to be sure!!!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Fair. I think for me -- and it's an asthetic preference, totally -- it would be a fantastic design in an Asian or ME megacity, where it's one huge building creating contrasts among other huge buildings. For this to be our ONLY supertall, it's going to dominate everything, but be really incongruous and off putting at the same time.

#yousaytomato
fwiw imo this building would be ugly anywhere. but put in an environment of similar height buildings, its possible its lines and shapes could lend to what surrounds it and add value to skyline as a whole.

in this instance it will dwarf everything and "add" nothing to any of its neighbors. it stands out. it is not a part of a mosaic.

people will have panic attacks x 1000 in this building. the whole "orthodox" thing is orthodox for a reason. it came through trial and error. now new glass and concrete technology has enabled lines of structures that haven't been possible before so they're going to push the unorthodox frontier further than they ever have...(the results will be the same as they always have been)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:48 PM

I can accept this tower EXCEPT the crown. It just looks awful. I would care less if it wasn't in a prime spot right on the waterfront and will be inescapable in every single picture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin