HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
Not at all surprising given the lack of professional expertise we have leading this province. Each department has "leadership" that is ill-equipped education-wise or lacks any relevant experience to do anything effective in New Brunswick. We have a former Baptist minister running public safety, a former local newspaper journalist in charge of heritage/culture, another former journalist for a community newspaper in charge of seniors, and a a former Radio Broadcaster in charge of our finances. To name just a few.

How do we allow people with ZERO background experience make such important decisions on behalf of taxpayers is beyond my comprehension. I have 25 years of corporate executive-level experience and three degrees and even I wouldn't feel equipped to be in charge of the province's finances. But here we are!

Representative democracy, and legislative oversight of deputy ministers and departments of experts, is how most western countries function. Nobody thinks Anita Anand was leading infantry training or naval procurement while Minister of Defence. We aren't a technocracy.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Representative democracy, and legislative oversight of deputy ministers and departments of experts, is how most western countries function. Nobody thinks Anita Anand was leading infantry training or naval procurement while Minister of Defence. We aren't a technocracy.
Perhaps, but when you have a premier who thinks government should be run like a business using a Top-Down management style and your middle management (aka ministers) lack any real business acumen, there is bound to be issues. Which we've clearly seen play out. If they actually listened to their experts in the respective departments, we'd likely have a different scenario.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 4:21 PM

Totally shocked that the free gift of money to the biggest leeches of the our entire system hasn't made its way down to help the average person. Who could have expected that letting the greediest people in the province charge what they want and control the housing supply would have poor consequences. I'm shocked, I tell you.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Not at all surprising given the lack of professional expertise we have leading this province. Each department has "leadership" that is ill-equipped education-wise or lacks any relevant experience to do anything effective in New Brunswick. We have a former Baptist minister running public safety, a former local newspaper journalist in charge of heritage/culture, another former journalist for a community newspaper in charge of seniors, and a a former Radio Broadcaster in charge of our finances. To name just a few.

How do we allow people with ZERO background experience make such important decisions on behalf of taxpayers is beyond my comprehension. I have 25 years of corporate executive-level experience and three degrees and even I wouldn't feel equipped to be in charge of the province's finances. But here we are!

There's a pretty good chance we end up with someone who believes the following as our next education minister or some other cabinet position in a 2024 Higgs victory:

-same sex marriage could lead to men marrying animals,
-teens should be charged criminally for having sex
-legalizing abortion crashed the stock market
-got autoimmune hepatitis from a coven of witches
-once met god in a Tim Horton's bathroom

No, I am not joking.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, but when you have a premier who thinks government should be run like a business using a Top-Down management style and your middle management (aka ministers) lack any real business acumen, there is bound to be issues. Which we've clearly seen play out. If they actually listened to their experts in the respective departments, we'd likely have a different scenario.
Have they even clarified on what they plan to do with the billion dollar surplus the province had accumulated the last 2 years? A lot of sectors are in dire need of improvement: health, education, housing. Didn't we place last among those throughout the country according to a recent survey?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 9:21 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
There's a pretty good chance we end up with someone who believes the following as our next education minister or some other cabinet position in a 2024 Higgs victory:

-same sex marriage could lead to men marrying animals,
-teens should be charged criminally for having sex
-legalizing abortion crashed the stock market
-got autoimmune hepatitis from a coven of witches
-once met god in a Tim Horton's bathroom

No, I am not joking.
I wonder what a Liberal win would look like?
-why have men marry animals when our kids can be cats with a litterbox at school?
-we need abortion to avoid having kids, it's better to just keep importing them instead
-morals and ethics are no longer needed, technology will fix everything
-because evolution is real, we now know that we were created by aliens
-teens shouldn't be charged for theft as long as it's under $1000
-arrest people for not using veggie dogs at their family get-togethers

Better hold the wheel the keep it from going in the other direction I guess.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
I wonder what a Liberal win would look like?
-why have men marry animals when our kids can be cats with a litterbox at school?
-we need abortion to avoid having kids, it's better to just keep importing them instead
-morals and ethics are no longer needed, technology will fix everything
-because evolution is real, we now know that we were created by aliens
-teens shouldn't be charged for theft as long as it's under $1000
-arrest people for not using veggie dogs at their family get-togethers

Better hold the wheel the keep it from going in the other direction I guess.
If you start the conversation with debunked misinformation such as the litter box hoax there's probably not any sort of productive adult conversation that's gonna be hand. Really unfortunate.

ive presented information that anyone can read in the premiers hand picked star candidates book. What you presented doesn't line up with a single thing I've ever seen a liberal party of NB candidate say. Not sure if you've ever actually watched government in session before during question period but I'd recommend doing so if you a belief that anything in your list resembles what Susan Holts Liberals represent. If you have some evidence of liberal mlas saying anything close to what your imagination has come up with here I'd be happy to check it out.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
If you start the conversation with debunked misinformation such as the litter box hoax there's probably not any sort of productive adult conversation that's gonna be hand. Really unfortunate.

ive presented information that anyone can read in the premiers hand picked star candidates book. What you presented doesn't line up with a single thing I've ever seen a liberal party of NB candidate say. Not sure if you've ever actually watched government in session before during question period but I'd recommend doing so if you a belief that anything in your list resembles what Susan Holts Liberals represent. If you have some evidence of liberal mlas saying anything close to what your imagination has come up with here I'd be happy to check it out.
Did Ernie Steeves actually say he saw got in a Tim Hortons bathroom? I suppose Blane Higgs was the one hanging around the witches too long too eh? It’s is getting out of hand. I feel like I’m listening to Marjorie Taylor-Green.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Did Ernie Steeves actually say he saw got in a Tim Hortons bathroom? I suppose Blane Higgs was the one hanging around the witches too long too eh? It’s is getting out of hand. I feel like I’m listening to Marjorie Taylor-Green.
I'm referring to Faytene, everything I put there is written in her book. She was hand picked by Higgs so I fully expect her to have some prominent position in cabinet if she gets elected given the current leaders to push out anyone who doesn't kiss the ring.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 6:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The release date for the annual CMA/CA population estimates by Stats Can will be May 22nd.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The release date for the annual CMA/CA population estimates by Stats Can will be May 22nd.
That's exciting. It will be interesting to see the results. We hear a lot about Halifax and Moncton but I think we will see some surprising numbers from the Fredericton and Saint John CMAs. I'm no census official but you can certainly see a lot more traffic along the Fundy coast of Route 1 all the way from St. Stephen to Sussex and through Saint John. Not to mention the increased volume of cars in and around Fredericton.

Cannot wait to see where people are moving to.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 3:57 PM
New Brunswick booster!

New Brunswick was the only province in the country to post a building permit gain in December. 4.4%

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
New Brunswick was the only province in the country to post a building permit gain in December. 4.4%

Pretty cool. Somewhat relevant:

New Brunswick sees lowest vacancy rate in over 30 years
From Global News
A yearly rental market survey shows New Brunswick’s 2023 vacancy rate was the lowest it’s been in over 30 years.

The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) has released vacancy rates since 1990. In 2023, the primary rental market’s vacancy rate was 1.5 per cent. That’s 53 per cent lower than the 1990 rate and 83 per cent lower than its highest rate in 2013.
https://globalnews.ca/news/10271934/...5%20per%20cent.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 8:49 PM

1.5% province-wide is totally nuts. It's not like the North Shore is swimming in apartments, but that's stupid low.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 11:28 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I hope the construction industry has the bodies to keep up.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

mmmatt over on Retail Talk & Share has a post on building permit values in NB issued in 2023.

In 2023, $1.7 billion in building permits were issued in the province.

Here is the breakdown by CMA:

Moncton (CMA) - $564,602,000
Fredericton (CMA) - $333,953,000
Saint John (CMA) - $299,762,000
Shediac (town) - $105,000,000 (reported separately from the rest of NB because the valuation is so high)
Rest of NB - $447,238,000

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
mmmatt over on Retail Talk & Share has a post on building permit values in NB issued in 2023.

In 2023, $1.7 billion in building permits were issued in the province.

Here is the breakdown by CMA:

Moncton (CMA) - $564,602,000
Fredericton (CMA) - $333,953,000
Saint John (CMA) - $299,762,000
Shediac (town) - $105,000,000 (reported separately because the valuation is so high)
Rest of NB - $447,238,000
Moncton- 33%, 21% of population
Fredericton- 20%, 13% of population
Saint John- 18%, 15% of population
Shediac- 6%, 1% of population (!!!!)
Rest of province- 23%, 50% of population

That's something.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Moncton- 33%, 21% of population
Fredericton- 20%, 13% of population
Saint John- 18%, 15% of population
Shediac- 6%, 1% of population (!!!!)
Rest of province- 23%, 50% of population

That's something.
Two things stand out from those numbers....

1.How SJ continues to lag and fall further behind the other two major centres when it comes to growth. I think we are seeing a real sea change here as we move further into the post industrial age.

2. How the province's trend towards urbanization and the hollowing out of rural areas is continuing.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
2. How the province's trend towards urbanization and the hollowing out of rural areas is continuing.
But this report doesn't tell us how much of the urbanized growth is fueled by people from other provinces, no? I personally also know a few Ontarians and immigrants who have or will settle in smaller towns around but outside the Moncton CMA.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new kid in town View Post
But this report doesn't tell us how much of the urbanized growth is fueled by people from other provinces, no? I personally also know a few Ontarians and immigrants who have or will settle in smaller towns around but outside the Moncton CMA.
I don't see how the source of urban growth makes a difference. If the percentage of population and growth continues to grow faster in the three main urban areas the size of the urban majority will continue to increase and rural NB will continue to become less significant.

I remember someone saying a few years ago the Halifax was closing in on having 1 out of every 2 Nova Scotians living in the HRM. I don't think they ever quite got there but in some ways NB probably has.......
I've always thought that NB was different in that Moncton+SJ+Fredericton equaled our "Halifax". If you add those three CMA's you've got about 50% of the province's population.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces