HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 3:17 PM

Whether or not you're a beer aficionado, I think we can all agree that this is something that has been missing in Winnipeg for a long time: a brewpub.

https://twitter.com/portageavebrew

Planned for the former 4Play space across from MTS Centre.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Whether or not you're a beer aficionado, I think we can all agree that this is something that has been missing in Winnipeg for a long time: a brewpub.

I always thought 4Play was the one closing down to re-open as Shark Club.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie88 View Post
I always thought 4Play was the one closing down to re-open as Shark Club.
Shark Club is the former 2nd floor retail space on the west side of CityPlace... it is already open.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 7:02 PM

That brew pub could really be fantastic. I'm quite optimistic.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Great news' so glad their supper club idea is gone!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 1:20 PM

Article in today's paper about the new brewpub in the former 4-Play space:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...212875151.html

Hoping to open in December.

I never had any interest in the old 4-Play, but I would definitely check out a brewpub.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 4:40 PM

CentreVenture actually helped Richard Walls get the Ox renovated. MAWA too I think. Things have changed. I still thing there's a role for a downtown development agency to play but that depends on their focus.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 3:24 PM

Shark Club streetside new entrance... Nice

courtesy twitter / free press

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 8:32 PM

Sherbrook Street's food scene is buzzing
Posted by Robin Summerfield, SCENE Writer | Thursday July 4, 2013

http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/scene/foo...h-of-broadway/

Late-night eatery Fitzroy opened this week, joining Thom Bargen coffee shop, as the newest resident in this blossoming food and restaurant district.

Relative newcomers Boon Burger Café, Stella's Café and its next-door bakery, and the cosmetic changes at The Nook, have also also driven the Sherbrook buzz.

"It's really exciting," says Erin Bend, editor of Ciao! magazine, a bi-monthly publication which covers Winnipeg's restaurant and food scene.

Sherbrook Street development is a perfect example of the spirit of entrepreneurship and the continuing rise of independent, chef-run start-ups in the city. It also reflects a diversity in dining that local residents hunger for, says Bend.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 9:12 PM
the first stamp is free

^ the Sherbrook "renaissance" I have observed since moving to Wolseley in 2005 has been amazing.

I can only imagine how much further the area can progress if someone would finally do something with the Sherby. Preferably demolish it in favour of some residential or commercial or both.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 10:37 PM

Drew, how do you not see anything wrong with your little campaign against the sherby? On the face of it, you're talking about destroying low-income housing, denying poor people the right to have a drink in their own neighborhood, and losing an important amenity for any neighborhood--an off-license beer vendor (also, a Chinese restaurant).

Would you have the South Sherbrook health centre closed down for the same reasons you dislike the Sherby? I'm not being rhetorical here. Would you?

And your point here is wrong. Sherbrook is developing just fine north of the Sherbrook Inn. In practise, it's not the barricade you seem to think. You can wax hypothetical about where the neighborhood would be without it, but reality shows the area gentrifying at an unprecedented rate in this city.

I know I've been an ass to your before on this topic, but I'm trying not to now. I'd definitely like to see the Sherby cleaned up. A beer store that wasn't a hole in the wall where you yell at a guy through a piece of scratched up plexi-glass would be great. Hell, if a developer walked up tomorrow and bought the place to redevelop it, I'd begrudgingly accept the change.

But the way you talk about the Sherby is, frankly, scary. It's part and parcel of the insidious attitude Centre Venture takes, and acts out on places like the Regis. It's one (shitty and, I'd argue without a bit of hyperbole, fascist) thing to shut down its beverage room, but trying to tear the place down and evict its tenants because they scare the white people coming to the tool SHED? That's messed up. It's implicitly racist. It's like we're in some bizarro world 1960s America, where the white people are coming back to the city, but they want to kick the coloreds out. What next, sending native kids to schools north of Portage so that Mulvey is safe for good white kids?

Gentrification is a thing I'll never oppose. Neighborhoods change, and I resent forces that try to impede the natural ebb and flow of a city's growth, be they swaths of socialized housing that hold neighborhoods down in perpetuity, or neighborhood organizations that stamp out individuality in the name of keeping out undesirables. But trying to speed along gentrification needlessly hurts people. It's the urban renewal of yesteryear, varnished with the hubris of those who think they know better than Robert Moses.

You should take your wife out for a drink at the Sherby, sometime, Drew. You'll find a dreary beverage room with cheap drinks and a handful of not-so-scary people playing VLTs. Part of living in the city is having the chance to not be so insular--to mingle with the plebs. The Sherbrook Inn is just a handful of rooms where people too down and out to get a lease stay, a beverage room where thirsty people sometimes drink, a non-sketchy pawn shop, a Chinese restaurant, and a really shitty beer vendor. But it is not the ManWin, the Sutherland, the Regis, or even the Woodbine. Think about it over a nice, affordable beer when you stop by.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 11:19 PM

Last edited by Cyro; Jul 5, 2013 at 3:06 AM. Reason: irrelevent.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 2:15 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Drew, how do you not see anything wrong with your little campaign against the sherby? On the face of it, you're talking about destroying low-income housing, denying poor people the right to have a drink in their own neighborhood, and losing an important amenity for any neighborhood--an off-license beer vendor (also, a Chinese restaurant).

Would you have the South Sherbrook health centre closed down for the same reasons you dislike the Sherby? I'm not being rhetorical here. Would you?

And your point here is wrong. Sherbrook is developing just fine north of the Sherbrook Inn. In practise, it's not the barricade you seem to think. You can wax hypothetical about where the neighborhood would be without it, but reality shows the area gentrifying at an unprecedented rate in this city.

I know I've been an ass to your before on this topic, but I'm trying not to now. I'd definitely like to see the Sherby cleaned up. A beer store that wasn't a hole in the wall where you yell at a guy through a piece of scratched up plexi-glass would be great. Hell, if a developer walked up tomorrow and bought the place to redevelop it, I'd begrudgingly accept the change.

But the way you talk about the Sherby is, frankly, scary. It's part and parcel of the insidious attitude Centre Venture takes, and acts out on places like the Regis. It's one (shitty and, I'd argue without a bit of hyperbole, fascist) thing to shut down its beverage room, but trying to tear the place down and evict its tenants because they scare the white people coming to the tool SHED? That's messed up. It's implicitly racist. It's like we're in some bizarro world 1960s America, where the white people are coming back to the city, but they want to kick the coloreds out. What next, sending native kids to schools north of Portage so that Mulvey is safe for good white kids?

Gentrification is a thing I'll never oppose. Neighborhoods change, and I resent forces that try to impede the natural ebb and flow of a city's growth, be they swaths of socialized housing that hold neighborhoods down in perpetuity, or neighborhood organizations that stamp out individuality in the name of keeping out undesirables. But trying to speed along gentrification needlessly hurts people. It's the urban renewal of yesteryear, varnished with the hubris of those who think they know better than Robert Moses.

You should take your wife out for a drink at the Sherby, sometime, Drew. You'll find a dreary beverage room with cheap drinks and a handful of not-so-scary people playing VLTs. Part of living in the city is having the chance to not be so insular--to mingle with the plebs. The Sherbrook Inn is just a handful of rooms where people too down and out to get a lease stay, a beverage room where thirsty people sometimes drink, a non-sketchy pawn shop, a Chinese restaurant, and a really shitty beer vendor. But it is not the ManWin, the Sutherland, the Regis, or even the Woodbine. Think about it over a nice, affordable beer when you stop by.
Facism?

Racism?

You're nuts.

The Sherbrook is a dump and as the area gentrifies the value of the land will eventually be too high to justify keeping it as an SRO hotel and beer vendor. This is just business and the apparent evolution of the area. Calling it anything else is just being ignorant.

Sure there are probably nice people that go/live there. However you can't deny that the hotels days are numbered and there is no conspiracy behind that.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 2:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Facism?

Racism?

You're nuts.

The Sherbrook is a dump and as the area gentrifies the value of the land will eventually be too high to justify keeping it as an SRO hotel and beer vendor. This is just business and the apparent evolution of the area. Calling it anything else is just being ignorant.

Sure there are probably nice people that go/live there. However you can't deny that the hotels days are numbered and there is no conspiracy behind that.
Agreed. The place is a rotting shithole. Tear it down.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 2:33 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post

Let's just say we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

To me, the Sherbrook Inn is like the (several) run-down rental properties on my block in Wolseley. Do I want people to have affordable rental options available to them in this city? Of course.

But deep down, am I truly being honest with myself if I said to someone, "oh, I don't care about those rental properties here on Lipton. They add to the urban fabric". I don't think I would be. To be honest, I want them gone. I want whoever is the dirt bag owner who allows a steady stream of sometimes nice, sometimes criminal, revolving door of tenants who don't maintain their houses, yards, or offer anything of value to the area gone. That's just me being honest. I invested in the area, upgraded my house, just like a lot of other people. The problem is, at some point, you hit a wall in terms of how much you can invest because the few houses down the way are dragging down the values of the rest of the street.

Likewise, if I am a business owner along Sherbrook, I would rather the Sherbrook was sold and purchased by someone who gave a damn, either by renovating the building, or knocking it over in favor of something better. I think if you spoke to everyone who owns a business on Sherbrook (candidly) - they would to a person agree that they would rather the Sherbrook ceased to exist.

Let me ask you this Biguc - do you rent or own the place where you live?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 4:51 PM

Whether you love the Sherbrook or hate it, I think it’s fair to say that if it disappeared, there sure wouldn’t be a shortage of slightly dingy, down-at-the-heels beverage rooms and beer vendors left in this city.

Personally, I’d love to see the Sherbrook remain in place, but as a fully renovated, proper neighbourhood hotel. I think it would be great if neighbourhoods like West Broadway, Osborne Village, North St. Boniface, the Exchange District and Corydon had decent hotels... a stream of business and leisure travellers would bolster nearby businesses and add to the street life in the area.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:02 AM
I am a typical

Poor people are going to exist regardless of whether or not a neighbourhood gentrifies.

So when it does, where do we put them?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Poor people are going to exist regardless of whether or not a neighbourhood gentrifies.

So when it does, where do we put them?
We don't put them anywhere. They are not cattle. I am comfortable in saying that I am poor, but that I also take pride in where I live, and do my best to contribute to my neighbourhood. As a neighbourhood gentrifies people move to areas that they can afford. Ironically I live in the neighbourhood in question that we are talking about. And honestly, if I can afford it anyone can. West Broadway and Woseley will eventually gentrify to the point where I would not (in my current situation) afford it anymore, and once my lease expired I would simply move to where I could afford it. I take no offence to rising property and neighbourhood prices. That is usually a sign of things for the better, and if that means I have to move three blocks North to a slightly less desirable area, than that is something I can live with.

That being said, I am poor because I am a student, once graduating, I will hopefully begin to weave my way through the cycle of eventually making a solid income (debt free), and I will then move where ever I would like, which Ironically is about three blocks North (Glasshouse is my number 1 preference, unless others like it come along).

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 4:12 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we're talking about current students who plan to graduate and get good paying jobs in a short amount of time.

Pretty sure we're talking about people living in poverty whose only path out is a very difficult one.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 10:46 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
We don't put them anywhere. They are not cattle. I am comfortable in saying that I am poor, but that I also take pride in where I live, and do my best to contribute to my neighbourhood. As a neighbourhood gentrifies people move to areas that they can afford. Ironically I live in the neighbourhood in question that we are talking about. And honestly, if I can afford it anyone can. West Broadway and Woseley will eventually gentrify to the point where I would not (in my current situation) afford it anymore, and once my lease expired I would simply move to where I could afford it. I take no offence to rising property and neighbourhood prices. That is usually a sign of things for the better, and if that means I have to move three blocks North to a slightly less desirable area, than that is something I can live with.

That being said, I am poor because I am a student, once graduating, I will hopefully begin to weave my way through the cycle of eventually making a solid income (debt free), and I will then move where ever I would like, which Ironically is about three blocks North (Glasshouse is my number 1 preference, unless others like it come along).
I'm not talking about people who get to choose where they live, I am talking about people who have no choice and must accept the least expensive place they can find.

If we make every single neighbourhood desirable, what will be left for those who can't afford the cost of housing. A lot of people in our cities don't have the hope you have.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan