Community Guy

Today's the day.
Our day to make history.

GO Oilers GO!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
What's crazy is that the more improbable accomplishment hasn't been done since 1942 while the already-a-lot-less-improbable one STILL hadn't been done since 1945 (until the Oilers just did it). Statistically, one would have expected the gap between the two situations to be much larger.
1942 was really a different universe. Getting to game 7 after being down 3-0 you'd think normally in a momentum sport like Hockey that the Oilers are now favorite though the betting odds still have Florida as a slight favorite.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:02 PM

Crazy that the Flames generated $100M less than the Oilers, especially when they were competitive right up to the end. I'd expect that gap to widen given the clubs are clearly moving in opposite directions, the Flames new arena should give them a bit of a boost in a few years when it's done.

Go Panthers, need Bobrovsky to play the best game a goalie has ever played! Going to be a wild night in Edmonton either way. Haven't heard much of he celebrations, have White and Jasper been pretty rowdy, or are fans behaving themselves? Whyte got a bit out of control in '06, nothing like Van a few years later, but some fires and a store or two got looted I believe.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:07 PM
Community Guy

^Jasper and Whyte are pretty quiet now since everything has moved to ICE which is patrolled well and to be honest, most people have been pretty good.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:09 PM
Fake News

You'll never hear me say this again, but GO OILERS!!!

Time to bring the cup back to Canada.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:24 PM
Community Guy

^I'm going to frame that.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^Jasper and Whyte are pretty quiet now since everything has moved to ICE which is patrolled well and to be honest, most people have been pretty good.
I know there are a few bars around Ice District, is it enough that the city closes any streets or anything?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:35 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
1942 was really a different universe. Getting to game 7 after being down 3-0 you'd think normally in a momentum sport like Hockey that the Oilers are now favorite though the betting odds still have Florida as a slight favorite.
Home team. Better overall record. There's no reason to think they don't adjust and get a little more luck in the goalie matchup. Things tend to balance out over many games and this game is pretty much a tossup. Edge to the home team slightly and the overall better defensive team. I would also say that there's a lot of numbers that don't hold up long haul. The special teams advantage (especially Edmonton's penalty kill.)

There's not much to pick here really. Florida by a nose because they are the better defensive team statistically over more games.

Of course all of that means nothing when it is one game. Law of averages says this is probably Florida's game to lose. But, they played 82 regular season games and 24 games in the playoffs for Edmonton and 23 games for Florida and it comes down to one game and three periods. And as has been stated. Pretty much a coin flip for the legacies of many involved.

1941-1942 was definitely a different world. Only seven teams and only one team didn't make the playoffs. For some reason the playoffs made it so 1 and 2 played in the semi-finals so Toronto ended up playing a really mediocre team in the final. Still impressive to win four in a row against anybody. Toronto beat Detroit who was 19-25-4 on the season with a -7 goal differential. Toronto was 27-18-3 with a plus 22 goal differential in comparison.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:43 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I know there are a few bars around Ice District, is it enough that the city closes any streets or anything?
No real closures no, but certainly bars filled along Jasper and less so Whyte.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 5:21 PM

Well, I'll be stoked for you guys if the Oilers win tonight, please keep it civil and don't embarrass the country like Vancouver did.

Even that felt too close to cheering, so go Panthers! to get the barf taste out of my mouth! haha

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 5:57 PM
Community Guy

Apparently on some billboards around the Florida rink.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 6:15 PM

"Be one of the only Edmonton tourists to ever exist!"

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 6:25 PM

So what’s the best parade route? Jasper, then up 101’ then ending at Roger’s place?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Well, I'll be stoked for you guys if the Oilers win tonight, please keep it civil and don't embarrass the country like Vancouver did.

Even that felt too close to cheering, so go Panthers! to get the barf taste out of my mouth! haha
Lots of extra officers and overtime as the police chief is concerned about a possible riot in Edmonton.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 6:59 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
So what’s the best parade route? Jasper, then up 101’ then ending at Roger’s place?
From Northlands west along 118ave, south on 97st, and skedaddle over to 101st, and then hit the Moss Park.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 7:16 PM
Community Guy

Gotta say, I've been very impressed with the Oilers fans in Edmonton thus far. It felt far more collegiate and fun than in 2006 which was often as dark as fun.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 7:29 PM
arf

Quote:

Haha.

I'm sure the usuals are plotting destruction win or lose. Every city has some of them and it seems anything is a reason for some to create mischief.

I have to say the 2023-2024 season has been quite interesting on a lot of fronts. A decent season and I'm still interested even though teams are now 105 and 106 games into the season.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 7:46 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian;10231975[B
]Crazy that the Flames generated $100M less than the Oilers[/B], especially when they were competitive right up to the end. I'd expect that gap to widen given the clubs are clearly moving in opposite directions, the Flames new arena should give them a bit of a boost in a few years when it's done.
When I was visiting during the Canucks vs Oilers series a few weeks back, I swear to god 50% of that city were wearing Oilers jerseys. And that wasn't even on game day.

In Vancouver, you'd be lucky to see 5% of people wearing a jersey around the city - and that's game day during the playoffs.

Edmontonians are fanatical about that team, and are willing to pony up $300 for a McDavid jersey.

Last edited by giallo; Jun 24, 2024 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 8:19 PM

I'd say the Oilers are like 90% of the identity of the city of Edmonton. The only other fans that are on that level are Rider fans, have to show the flag everywhere they go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada