HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 11:00 PM

The Idiots are back at the Legislature

More RTD reform is coming next year, Colorado legislators say
Jul. 24, 2024 By Nathaniel Minor -- CPR News

Who is this Matt Frommer clown?

He cherry picks who he compares RTD with and he conflates bus ridership with light rail or system ridership.

For example he looks to Seattle but uses King County bus service and not Sound Transit. But more importantly why doesn't Matt use his talents to find a Bell Cow who would bring 55,000 employees to downtown Denver like Amazon has in Seattle. Not a smart comparison.

I wonder why he doesn't include Portland in his comparison as that would seem to be a very good peer city to Denver. Any guesses?

Matt is sooo disappointed in RTD's light rail ridership in June of this year. Somebody go knock on his door and inform him of all the maintenance issues maybe?

He looks to Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority ie Austin. Somebody inform him that Austin has a meager transit system like one-third the size of RTD - oh but then he complains about RTD not being robust enough. Meanwhile Austin is being sued by the state attorney general for their created entity for better transit not being legal under the state's constitution.

Utah Transit Authority? Does anybody here care about them? BTW, just guessing they haven't had the same homeless etc problems that Denver has. Perhaps Matt could use his talents to fix that for Denver.

Many areas have multiple transit agencies and Matt picks out the one he likes best. Why am I not surprised.

Love those who cherry pick and conflate; they're so pleasant to reason with.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 6:01 AM

US House appropriations bill would slash DOT grants by $2B in FY2025
July 22, 2024 By Dan Zukowski, Senior Reporter -- Smart Cities Dive
Quote:
House Republicans set out their priorities for transportation funding but acknowledge that the November election’s outcome will likely decide future spending.
  • The U.S. House Appropriations Committee approved $90.4 billion in discretionary allocations for the fiscal year 2025... The bill would cut funding for DOT grant programs 36%, or more than $2 billion
  • The draft bill targets a $1.3 billion cut to the Federal Transit Administration from FY 2024, slashing capital investment grants by 66%, according to the Rail Passengers Association, a nonpartisan organization. These grants are used to build new rail and bus transit routes.
  • The bill would also block New York’s paused congestion pricing plan, bar some federal agencies from implementing equity and climate plans and prohibit federal funding for a prominent high-speed rail project in California.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 9:26 PM

Does transit make sense as transportation? (Part One)

Yes, but only if you understand its limitations and real world costs.

These 'talking points desk jockeys' drive me nuts.

The first question I asked was what is the current approximate cost of new electric buses?

SOURCE ONE:
Quote:
As per the Department of Energy’s 2020 report, while the cost of a new 40-foot diesel bus is $480,000, a battery electric bus costs $887,308.
2020? Add 25% (or more) to those numbers. The assumed life of buses is 12 years. 12 to 15 years is the assumed range.

SOURCE TWO:

Price tag for CapMetro buses tops $1 million apiece
September 29, 2021 By Daniel Van Oudenaren -- Austin Bulldog
Quote:
Austin transit authority says the 197 zero-emissions electric buses will reduce pollution, noise, and fuel costs

The board of Capital Metro (CapMetro) has approved the purchase of up to 197 new electric buses in the next five years at an average cost of $960,000. With charging equipment and warranties, the price per bus tops $1 million.
2021? Add another 25% or more to those numbers.

Maintenance and Repairs?

That's a whole other topic but RTD could provide some good feedback given their recent experience and so glad they had the money between budgeting and grants.

FTA funding granted to CDOT et al in 2022

A) State of Colorado, Department of Transportation $34,765,737 - Buses and Bus Facilities:
The Colorado Department of Transportation, on behalf of Summit Stage, a rural transit agency serving Summit, Park and Lake counties, will receive funding to build a new charging and operation bus facility, which will include 100% electrification, fleet storage, and electric vehicle charging. The new facility will replace Summit Stage's current aging facility.
B) State of Colorado, Department of Transportation $5,721,272 - Buses and Bus Facilities
Roaring Fork Transportation Authority will receive funding to buy buses to replace ones that have exceeded their useful life. The largest rural transit agency in the nation, RFTA will replace aging diesel buses and save as many as 121,000 pounds of greenhouse gases annually by purchasing CNG buses and modern diesel buses.
C) CO Mesa County $2,844,274 Low or No Emission
Mesa County on behalf of Grand Valley Transit will receive funding to build a new bus maintenance facility. The new building will allow GVT to hire additional mechanics and better maintain its fleet, which is serving growing demand for transit in and around Grand Junction, improving the state of good repairs and improving service
There were two other $2.5 million grants one for San Miguel Authority for Regional Transportation in southwest Colorado and Steamboat Springs Transit in Northwest Colorado and smaller grants for Vail and Grand Valley Transit

Thank You Pres. Biden for the iija often referred to as the Bipartisan Infrastructure Legislation or BIL

Old Posted Aug 3, 2024, 10:21 PM

Does transit make sense as transportation? (Part Two)

I'm recommending Gov Jared Polis to be Chief Transit Boondoggle.

I digress

Biden’s love for Amtrak can’t save it from a cruel summer
08/03/2024 By Jordan Wolman -- POLITICO
Quote:
Commuters and other travelers along America’s busiest stretch of passenger railway have faced a nightmare summer of heat-related delays and cancellations that are complicating the transit legacy of a president nicknamed “Amtrak Joe.”

Record heat has exposed long-standing physical problems along the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Virginia... “It’s incredibly frustrating,” said Rep. Josh Gottheimer (D-N.J.)... “People are going to lose faith in the transportation system. It just ups the urgency of investing and addressing these issues.”
It turns out it's not as simple as "Build it and they will come."

Here's a great comparison to what Gov Polis wants to do

BTW, I am aware the RTD is working on a new estimate for the Governor's pet project.

Commuter rail system's financial and engineering headaches
Jan 10, 2023 (so relatively recent) By Zachery Eanes -- AXIOS Raleigh

Has everybody heard of the RTP or Research Triangle Park in North Caroline? It has been a rapidly growing area as a result of many Big Dog tech companies, etc. Well they want to build the type of rail that Polis wants. For the RTP it makes good sense and apposed to the B Line etc making No Sense.
Quote:
Rising costs are limiting how quickly a potential commuter rail system could be implemented in the Triangle, according to a feasibility study released last week by GoTriangle, the region's transportation authority that would operate the system.
  • The study found that the proposed Greater Triangle Commuter Rail, a roughly 40-mile line that would stretch from Durham to Johnston County, would cost $3.2 billion to build — a significant increase from its initial $2 billion estimate.
  • Public transportation is a high priority for local leaders who worry that the region's fast-growing population will lead to a traffic congestion nightmare, significantly impacting the area's quality of life and mobility
Good guess that an updated estimate would be closer to $4 billion. The RTP has been working for many, many years to create some transit. They have as yet been unable to find common ground that voters might approve.

Reminder: IIRC RTD spent ~ $5.7 billion on FasTacks

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 7:43 PM

Here's an updated example of rising costs

Feds Commit $5.1 Billion to South Bay BART Extension
Aug 2, 2024 By Joseph Geha -- KQED

Originally estimated to cost $4.7 billion back in 2014 that is obviously so old as to be totally irrelevant.
Quote:
As recently as spring 2022, VTA still touted a $6.9 billion estimate before facing multiple schedule delays and ballooning cost increases to the current figure.

The project is currently estimated to cost $12.7 billion and is expected to be completed in 2037.
BTW, this will only be a six-mile extension. Heavy Rail but Good Grief.

RTD is so lucky to have built their rail bones when they did.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 12:10 AM

Done Deal

RTD and Denver receive $150 million funding allocation for E. Colfax BRT
August 7 2024 -- RTD
Quote:
Last week, the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) notified RTD that the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) apportioned an additional $23 million in Fixed Guideway Capital Investment Grants Allocation (CIG) funding for construction of the East Colfax BRT project. This funding combined with prior year apportionments equals a total federal apportionment of $150 million, the maximum amount allowed in the discretionary grant category.

“RTD appreciates the partnership with the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) to move another step forward on constructing the E. Colfax BRT project. The agency looks forward to finalizing the grant process with the FTA and continuing to work cooperatively with local and state partners to deliver this beneficial project to the community,” said RTD General Manager and CEO Debra A. Johnson.
What's Next: I'm still a bit confused but at this point it doesn't matter. lol
Quote:
Next steps for the project in the coming weeks include bringing a BRT construction contract through Denver City Council for approval and a groundbreaking event with project, business and community partners along Colfax this fall.
-----------------------------------

Last edited by wong21fr; Aug 14, 2024 at 5:57 PM. Reason: Off-topic for the discussion of Colfax BRT funding

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 5:52 PM

Thanks for the Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I think that's the case. For the Federal Blvd Project CDOT took the DENVER MOVES: Federal Transit Alternatives Analysis and used it to conduct the NEPA. Believe they're handling everything.
I had been aware of this but didn't bother to read the analysis as I wasn't sure what the time frame for progress would be. But after I jumped back on the thread I read the analysis when I saw your link.

CDOT wants to widen Federal Boulevard for new bus lanes. Some worry it’ll make the road even more dangerous
Aug. 13, 2024 By Nathaniel Minor -- Denverite

I do enjoy Nathaniel's writing and he seldom hesitates to accommodate the anti-car crowd. That's fine: He usually does a fair job of including both sides so that's cool. Whiners going to whine.
Quote:
The Colorado Department of Transportation wants to widen over two miles of South Federal Boulevard to make space for bus lanes. Project leaders say the extra space will be needed to preserve two vehicle lanes in each direction on a busy stretch of Federal. Cutting the road down to one lane would send too many drivers onto side streets, they say.

“There are places where traffic calming through road diets and otherwise is the best option,” said CDOT Executive Director Shoshana Lew, adding: “But that's not always the answer.”
BTW, since I've read the analysis I understand what the issues are. Federal Blvd is not some side street, it's a major arterial road designated as a state highway. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be safer. One reason for CDOT's issues is that they added medians in some areas which was a Good Safety measure.

I love the plan for having BRT on Federal Blvd. Now that East Colfax BRT is essentially a done deal, Federal is easily the next best priority for BRT.

Two different traffic patters on the same street?

Yes, as a major arterial road, during the day there's a ton of commercial and freight traffic. Then after dark that calms down but that's also when the 'crazies' come out whether it's bad drivers or walkers (especially those that have had too much to drink) wearing dark clothing. If they want to compensate for this then light up the road like a Christmas tree. Where pedestrian traffic is heavier but not at an intersection then add a crosswalk with HAWK light. I guarantee the majority of accidents especially fatal ones happen after dark.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 9:00 PM

RTD is planning to expand its services in 2025 after years of stagnation
Aug. 20, 2024 By Nathaniel Minor -- CPR

GOOD READ

Props to Nathaniel for a nice summary review and update for moving forward.

I still enjoy following transit systems around the country

One very comparable system to RTD is San Diego's MTS though they have about half the miles in four light rail lines as RTD does. Their bus service ~100 routes so very similar to RTD. They recently passed a forward 2025 budget of $448 million after earlier passing a $243 million capital improvement budget primarily for tackling deferred maintenance. Their bus ridership is back to ~ 80% of pre-pandemic levels. Their light rail service is reputed to do very well but a lot of that is a result of extending service to the border where many use the system for getting to work. That's hard to compete with, lol.

Overall San Diego is similar in size and budget and is well-funded just as RTD is compared to many agencies who still need long term funding badly. WMATA, for example has a two year extension from funding worries thanks to two different states and the District. Then who knows?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 1:55 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Speer Blvd rebuild proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverite
A new vision for Speer Boulevard: Cut down the cars in favor of pedestrians, parks and buses

With Speer relocated to only one side of the creek, the entire other side could be freed up and turned into a landscaped series of public parks and recreational space.

And in related other news, one of the authors of the article notes on Twitter that in researching this he found renderings of a 1960s era proposal for a Wuppertal-style suspended monorail over Speer:

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 4:11 PM

Fantastic to see this proposal surfacing again on a bigger scale! I'm pretty sure the last time I saw anything like this was on the 2007 AHEC Master Plan.

Not only would consolidating Speer make the street more functional (both for travel and ecologically), but - looking at this plan - it just strikes me as a better urban design. South of Colfax, Speer has a classic "City Beautiful" design reminiscent of a Parisian boulevard, and it feels somewhat natural to have Cherry Creek in the center. But north of Colfax, it really doesn't have that same aesthetic. This proposal would create a much more well-defined "edge" to the central business district. It reminds me somewhat of how Vienna's Ringstrasse functions in that city.

But, of course, I have to wonder how serious of a proposal this is, or where the funding will come from. My gut tells me that BRT on Federal or Colorado would certainly take priority over an expensive re-build of Speer.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 7:32 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
Fantastic to see this proposal surfacing again on a bigger scale! I'm pretty sure the last time I saw anything like this was on the 2007 AHEC Master Plan.

Not only would consolidating Speer make the street more functional (both for travel and ecologically), but - looking at this plan - it just strikes me as a better urban design. South of Colfax, Speer has a classic "City Beautiful" design reminiscent of a Parisian boulevard, and it feels somewhat natural to have Cherry Creek in the center. But north of Colfax, it really doesn't have that same aesthetic. This proposal would create a much more well-defined "edge" to the central business district. It reminds me somewhat of how Vienna's Ringstrasse functions in that city.

But, of course, I have to wonder how serious of a proposal this is, or where the funding will come from. My gut tells me that BRT on Federal or Colorado would certainly take priority over an expensive re-build of Speer.

I'd say your gut is accurate. BRT along Federal, Broadway, Colorado, Speer/Leetsdale, etc. would all take priority over this. I also notice that this plan doesn't include the giant pedestrian bridge that Kreonke is planning to span Speer as part of the Ball Arena redevelopment.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 9:35 PM

There's an even higher priority you missed

CO 119 Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Project
Updated July 26 2024 -- RTD
Quote:
The CO 119 Safety and Mobility Improvements Project, a joint project between CDOT and RTD.... RTD is partnering with the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) and Boulder County to integrate the CO 119 BRT project with other active multimodal projects on the corridor... Funding has been secured for implementation of the project and a Construction Manager/General Contractor (CM/GC delivery method) will be used to build the project with construction scheduled to start in 2024.
Cut to the Chase
Quote:
RTD Service Development, Design and Construction
  • BRT Final Design: Q1 2023-Q1 2025
  • Service Development: Q4 2024-Q1 2027
  • BRT Construction: Q4 2024-Q2 2026
There's also lists for Boulder specific improvements and the same for Longmont.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 8:43 PM

This has to be iija grant money at work

More lanes including right turn lanes; bike lanes and roundabouts
Quote:
The combination of the two projects will cost about $10 million with 80% paid through federal grants while the other 20% is split between the county and two metropolitan cities.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:31 AM

Good Read

BRT plans are rolling on Colorado Boulevard, so we talked to locals
Sep. 16, 2024 By Nathaniel Minor -- Denverite
Quote:
A few dozen people packed a hotel conference room on south Colorado Boulevard on Thursday, curious to learn more about what could be the most dramatic change to that road in decades.

The Colorado Department of Transportation is planning a new “bus rapid transit” or BRT line along Colorado Boulevard, running from Interstate 70 southward and past Interstate 25. It’s one of several major planned BRT projects in Denver, and it will feature snazzier bus stations, faster boarding, and other amenities meant to speed up bus service and elevate transit as an alternative to driving.

“We're at the very start of figuring out what it looks like,” said Ryan Noles, CDOT’s bus rapid transit program manager.
Nate does his normally reasonable job of offering both sides of the issue using interviews.

Build it and they will come?
That depends partly on where prospective riders come from and where they want to go.

Whether it's in "In my minds eye" or just instincts, as much as I am enthusiastic about BRT on Federal Blvd, on Colorado Blvd - not so much.

Quick search for how busy Colorado Blvd bus route 40 is finds this AI answer:
Quote:
can be quiet or mildly full
  • 40th Ave & Colorado Blvd: This stop is usually quiet
  • Colorado Blvd & 3rd Ave: This stop is usually mildly full, but there are still many seats available
The "preferred alternative" is to be determined during the Spring of next year. While it's no longer a part of the common vernacular what once was described as "enhanced" bus service would be the wiser choice IMO. (Basically, BRT-lite)

Colorado Blvd looks to be one of those routes where people/drivers are likely to ignore any so-called BRT. Yes, it happens in other cities.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 10:45 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Quick search for how busy Colorado Blvd bus route 40 is finds this AI answer:

The "preferred alternative" is to be determined during the Spring of next year. While it's no longer a part of the common vernacular what once was described as "enhanced" bus service would be the wiser choice IMO. (Basically, BRT-lite)

Colorado Blvd looks to be one of those routes where people/drivers are likely to ignore any so-called BRT. Yes, it happens in other cities.
I know you took the quick and easy way to find this, and RTD certainly doesn't make it easy anymore to find individual route data, but Route 40 is at least a top ten route by ridership. IIRC it might be in the top five. So, if there's money available for BRT, which CDOT has so generously provided thanks to the greenhouse gas emission slush fund, then it might as well be built to BRT standard now.

BTW, I wonder if the BRT detractor that was extensively quoted in the article, Steve Yobst, is this same upstanding citizen?

https://www.justice.gov/usao-co/pr/d...energy-and-irs

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Last edited by wong21fr; Sep 17, 2024 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 1:16 AM

Mr. Steve Yobst sounds like quite the character
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I know you took the quick and easy way to find this, and RTD certainly doesn't make it easy anymore to find individual route data, but Route 40 is at least a top ten route by ridership. IIRC it might be in the top five. So, if there's money available for BRT, which CDOT has so generously provided thanks to the greenhouse gas emission slush fund, then it might as well be built to BRT standard now.

BTW, I wonder if the BRT detractor that was extensively quoted in the article, Steve Yobst, is this same upstanding citizen?

https://www.justice.gov/usao-co/pr/d...energy-and-irs
A different simple search for busiest bus routes according to RTD (not sure how useful):
  • South Broadway.
  • West 1st Avenue.
  • East 12th Avenue.
  • East Colfax Avenue.
  • 15L. East Colfax Limited.
  • Alameda Avenue.
  • RX. Brighton / Denver Express
In any case rather than argue the points it might come down to how much money is left after doing Colfax and Federal?

With respect to the East Colfax BRT:
Sep 13, 2024 By Alex Edwards/Denver Gazette
Quote:
The Denver City Council will consider approving a contract, not to exceed roughly $200 million, for construction of the Colfax Bus Rapid Transit line Monday night. The contract with Kraemer North America makes up the bulk of the anticipated cost for the dramatic reshaping of Colfax Avenue.

The contract is a major step in making the vision of Colfax BRT a reality, but there are still hurdles the city, CDOT and RTD must overcome before groundbreaking can begin. The trio of stakeholders hope to see ground broken on the project before the end of this year.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 6:10 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Surprising nobody:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPR News
RTD study confirms Boulder train’s high costs, points to Front Range rail partnership as path forward

A new study by the Regional Transportation District reaffirmed that even a bare-bones version of its long-delayed passenger rail line between Denver, Boulder and Longmont would be expensive to build, would carry relatively few passengers, and likely wouldn’t open until the 2040s.

But, the study concludes, the $650 million estimated cost could be lowered and timelines could be accelerated through its partnership with the state and the fledgling Front Range Passenger Rail District, which are trying to plan and build a rail line between Pueblo and Fort Collins.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 7:29 PM

Decided to post after originally deciding not to post

Talking Headways Podcast: Expanding Amtrak Across America
September 12, 2024 By Jeff Wood -- Streetsblog USA

If you're a fan of trains (which I am) this is an interesting post which transcribes the podcast.
Quote:
This week we’re joined by Mike Christensen, Executive Director of the Utah Rail Passengers Association and a tireless advocate for intercity passenger rail. Mike chats with us about Amtrak’s expansion plans, the impact of the infrastructure bill and why things take so long to implement.
It's always gets complicated:
Quote:
One of the big concerns is that it is on a timeline right now, where we wouldn't expect to see any of these new services rolled out until at least 2040.

So, the disappointing thing is that, yeah, the timeline and the reason for that lengthy timeline is we don't have the equipment available. We don't have the rolling stock available yet. And part of that is because we're already in the process of having to replace all of our rolling stock that's on our 15 long distance routes.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 8:58 PM

Here is the agenda for this month's FRPR Board of Directors Workshop meeting.

I submitted a comment saying that if they are planning a 2026 ballot measure to help fund this, it should be exciting! If they model this after Caltrain's new electric fleet in the Bay Area, that will be exciting. It would be so dumb to ask voters to pay for a train that's stuck at 55 mph because it has to share tracks with freight. WE CAN HAVE NICE THINGS!!!

https://www.ridethefrontrange.com/_f...1fda963266.pdf

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 8:31 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

BTW, this *finally* happened:

Denver City Council gives green light to construct the East Colfax Avenue bus rapid transit project
By Megan Ulu-Lani Boyanton and Joe Rubino
The Denver Post

Quote:
The Denver City Council took a definitive step on Monday toward making the construction of the East Colfax Avenue bus rapid transit project a reality — one that will completely reshape Denver’s best-known east-west arterial street.

The project will stretch from Denver’s Union Station east to the Regional Transportation District’s rail station near Colfax and Interstate 225 relying on a network of high-frequency, quick-loading buses to increase mass transit reliability along the busy corridor. Between Broadway and Yosemite, buses will take over two dedicated center lanes on Colfax, with new, specially branded bus stations in the middle of the roadway to facilitate speedy loading and unloading.

On Monday evening, City Council members unanimously approved the $197 million contract with general contractor Kraemer North America, which would last through Aug. 30, 2028.

Construction on the first segment — which starts at Broadway and goes east — will upend the intersections of Colfax with Pennsylvania Street, Downing Street and Park Avenue. The project is expected to get underway in October, according to Jonathan Stewart, the project’s director in the city’s Department of Transportation and Infrastructure.

Hopefully the next two BRT projects in the metro area, not that silly Boulder to Longmont BRT, are able to reach construction just a bit quicker.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West