HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 9:28 PM

Avondale

Most likely the Port of New Orleans: http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...e0bcc5c0c.html

Still good news, but likely to never be a manufacturing site again. Assuming the shipyards in Korea survive the summer.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 9:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Most likely the Port of New Orleans: http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...e0bcc5c0c.html

Still good news, but likely to never be a manufacturing site again. Assuming the shipyards in Korea survive the summer.
good point.. i would love for america to become competitive with shipbuilding again

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:08 AM

I remember hearing about that and I would imagine the Port of NO is the most likely candidate. That said, they must have other partners (maybe Bollinger?) considering the size of the site.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:05 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
I remember hearing about that and I would imagine the Port of NO is the most likely candidate. That said, they must have other partners (maybe Bollinger?) considering the size of the site.
Yeah its a shame we didnt rebuild the huey p long bridge higher

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:30 PM

Hey Tennis,

This slipped into your blog and I have to say I'm quite excited this building will be renovated and put back into commerce. Any other details on this project?

229 Royal St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: X23UH2
Description
Renovation of an existing vacant building into a restaurant, offices and spa with a rooftop pool.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:00 PM
-

Quote:
Hey Tennis,

This slipped into your blog and I have to say I'm quite excited this building will be renovated and put back into commerce. Any other details on this project?

229 Royal St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: X23UH2
Description
Renovation of an existing vacant building into a restaurant, offices and spa with a rooftop pool.
yeah its a part extension for one of jaegers hotels with a rooftop bar pool on top and bar on ground floor with conference and salon space in between i posted the plans sometime a while back

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:10 PM

Ochsner to open a new center for children with disabilities in 2018

Ochsner to open a new center for children with disabilities in 2018

Ochsner Health System is opening a new center at its Jefferson Highway campus dedicated to treating children with a range of physical, neuro-cognitive and behavioral disabilities, from spina bifida to cerebral palsy, autism to ADHD. The first phase of the development is expected to open in early 2018.

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf...lity_care.html

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:27 PM
-

Nice I really feel like Jefferson needs to step their game up along that corridor. So much potential if the government can make more pedestrian friendly

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Just curious if anyone here anticipates a change in the openign schedule for the airport... maybe possibly going back to a staged opening if they want? it seems silly to have a beauitful new airport sitting there for five months while a small addition is made ready as the airport terminal on that side could easily work with out if they needed it to for just a few months or just keep terminal c open for the international fights while they transition
I have no idea. It may be wise to stage it and have traffic split between north and South terminals. Maybe open in stages and move lower volume airlines to the north and keep high volume carriers like Southwest and Delta down south until the airport can actually be effectively connected to the surrounding infrastructure.

Either way they'll have a beautiful new terminal sitting there that nobody will be able to get to reasonably. Getting to the airport or to Kenner in general will be hell for the next 3 or so years. 80% of airport traffic will be exiting at Loyola and the state is ramping up to continue the I-10 expansion from Vets on out to the 310. It may be better to let it sit.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
I have no idea. It may be wise to stage it and have traffic split between north and South terminals. Maybe open in stages and move lower volume airlines to the north and keep high volume carriers like Southwest and Delta down south until the airport can actually be effectively connected to the surrounding infrastructure.

Either way they'll have a beautiful new terminal sitting there that nobody will be able to get to reasonably. Getting to the airport or to Kenner in general will be hell for the next 3 or so years. 80% of airport traffic will be exiting at Loyola and the state is ramping up to continue the I-10 expansion from Vets on out to the 310. It may be better to let it sit.
oh gosh i forgot about that... they are expanding from loyola to vets all at once or loyola to williams and then williams to vetereans?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 12:22 AM

One Shell Square

A friend who works at Shell told me that the building will be renamed because Shell is no longer the largest tenant. Anyone know about this?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 12:38 AM

Yes, it is true. One Shell Square will be renamed. One of my friends who's been a Shell contractor in the building for years told me last week while we were eating at Dave & Buster's.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
Yes, it is true. One Shell Square will be renamed. One of my friends who's been a Shell contractor in the building for years told me last week while we were eating at Dave & Buster's.
What's it going to be renamed to? I thought Shell had like5 or 6 floors in the building... I know there are a couple large lawfirms as well as Deloitte and Harvey Gulf... but even after the layoffs I'm surprised Shell (plus contractors) isn't the largest tenant anymore

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 3:32 AM

He said it's being kept secret what the renaming of One Shell Square will be.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:19 AM

One Shell Square is pretty fully leased, likely eliminating the possibility of some big new tenant coming in unless they are taking over space that is already leased.

Noticed that 1010 Common now only has tenants on floors 20-27 with the remaining space "pending future development." I wonder if they will try to make it more attractive as office space or go the residential or hotel route. It is a pretty large building in terms of floor area for either of the latter two.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 5:20 AM

Just read on the Advocate: One Shell Square to become Hancock Whitney Center

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
Just read on the Advocate: One Shell Square to become Hancock Whitney Center
While i get that people like to rename stuff this is sort of like the sears tower in chicago .... it will forever be known as that ... no one will call it willis tower for a long time if ever . But i guess thats why whitney was building a big branch on the ground floor

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
One Shell Square is pretty fully leased, likely eliminating the possibility of some big new tenant coming in unless they are taking over space that is already leased.

Noticed that 1010 Common now only has tenants on floors 20-27 with the remaining space "pending future development." I wonder if they will try to make it more attractive as office space or go the residential or hotel route. It is a pretty large building in terms of floor area for either of the latter two.
Hmm i wonder but truthfully just from a building operational cost point of view it makes sense to locate tenants near each other . I think the building has long term potential as office especially as that neighborhood has improved . Maybe a large workshare could take a few floors like we work. Floor plates are really too large for hotel or residential ... it could work but not ideal

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:30 PM

Thanks everyone.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...incart_m-rpt-2

A few things I found interested from both articles:
- Shell is not planning to expand in New Orleans again and probably didn't want to spend any money on naming rights for the building under its new ownership. Maybe they'll expand a little past the current 1400 mark when/if prices pick up but not much. They'll maintain a nice presence here, sure, but I think we all know Houston is the site of all oil consolidation from New Orleans and it will continue to suck high paying energy jobs from our economy. One would've hoped that New Orleans would get back its ~900 Shell jobs it lost recently... those jobs paid very well.

- The article in Nola.com also states that Whitney will keep their 300 IT/Ops people at the Lakefront office. I imagine if Shell consolidates further and Whitney's leases for the Lakefront get close to the end, they'll try to add more floors.

- What to do with Whitney's old building... Nola.com speculates residential and that's likely the most obvious option. With all of the new hotels being developed and new residential being built around downtown, I suppose we can handle some more of both downtown, but I'd like to see them divvy it up and make the entire site truly mixed use (office, retail, residential). Honestly, and I know I'm in the minority, I think there's a reckoning coming for the downtown residential market (including Canal, South Market, etc). Without AirBnB we'd already have seen some of these new developments fail.

Last edited by FenderOz; Aug 11, 2017 at 1:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:54 PM
-

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...incart_m-rpt-2

A few things I found interested from both articles:
- Shell is not planning to expand in New Orleans again and probably didn't want to spend any money on naming rights for the building under its new ownership. Maybe they'll expand a little past the current 1400 mark when/if prices pick up but not much. They'll maintain a nice presence here, sure, but I think we all know Houston is the site of all oil consolidation from New Orleans and it will continue to suck high paying energy jobs from our economy. One would've hoped that New Orleans would get back its ~900 Shell jobs it lost recently... those jobs paid very well.

- The article in Nola.com also states that Whitney will keep their 300 IT/Ops people at the Lakefront office. I imagine if Shell consolidates further and Whitney's leases for the Lakefront get close to the end, they'll try to add more floors.

- What to do with Whitney's old building... Nola.com speculates residential and that's likely the most obvious option. With all of the new hotels being developed and new residential being built around downtown, I suppose we can handle some more of both downtown, but I'd like to see them divvy it up and make the entire site truly mixed use (office, retail, residential). Honestly, and I know I'm in the minority, I think there's a reckoning coming for the downtown residential market (including Canal, South Market, etc). Without AirBnB we'd already have seen some of these new developments fail.
Theres definitely a lot of product coming to market at once thats for sure. I suppose its all about affordability.. if they deliver things in the mid range market they should do great but everything cant be super luxury. we need diversity of price points... seems like some of these ground up projects are doing just that.

whitneys old building makes sense for residential hotel... not sure how suitable it is for modern offices.. perhaps a floor or two at the bottom like the pythian

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations