HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:09 AM

Sorry, Helmut, but form follows function. Those chairs don't look comfortable.

Also, I wish the Flickr user above would describe what this lattice is.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 2:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Sorry, Helmut, but form follows function. Those chairs don't look comfortable.

Also, I wish the Flickr user above would describe what this lattice is.
You've apparently never sat in a Eames DCM chair then. They are essentially the same concept (except DCM has a separation between backrest and seat and is far superior aesthetically). Molded plywood chairs are incredibly comfortable despite the fact that they look like they shouldn't be. This is because the form-fitting shape of the wood is in contact with more of the surface area of your body and therefore there is less pressure on any one part of your bottom. Besides, I'm not sure it makes sense to fill a reading/study room with ultra deluxe lazyboy comfy chairs. I much prefer a firm a seat that keeps me upright when I am trying to stay awake all night to cram.

The lattice is actually a ceramic coating that is baked onto the glass at the top of the dome to deflect most of the sun. If you look at the first picture you can see it at the top of the dome (the darker area).

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 2:21 PM

Quote:
That looks like a very cozy place to study, with the ceiling dropping down at the ends, and the bench which is just begging for reclining (females). The actual space contrasts with the perceived space as the glass ceiling brings in the outside.

BUT --- that glass will be a major cleaning chore, the more horizontal the more dust and dirt on the outside, the lower the more fingerprints and head smudges.

Do kids still study w/o laptops ?

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 2:30 PM

Will that glass turn the study area into something more like a green house? I hope they have good air conditioning because otherwise it could end up being uncomfortably warm. You'll also have the sun beating down on you through the windows, which in the winter time might be nice, but in the summer could be a real nuisance.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 5:16 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Will that glass turn the study area into something more like a green house? I hope they have good air conditioning because otherwise it could end up being uncomfortably warm. You'll also have the sun beating down on you through the windows, which in the winter time might be nice, but in the summer could be a real nuisance.
http://mansueto.lib.uchicago.edu/dome.html
Quote:
High performance Low E fritted glass will provide shading from solar heat gain. At the upper area of the dome, the glass will incorporate 57% shading with a ceramic frit dot pattern applied to the interior of the external surface of the insulated glass. The high performance glass will reject 73% of the solar heat while admitting 50% of the visible light. As a result, the Grand Reading Room will be flooded with daylight that is appropriately shaded to create a comfortable work environment.
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...-students.html

Chinatown complex starts with students
DAVID ROEDER

Developer See Wong, who runs Wabash Development Group, is one determined guy.

For more than two decades, Wong has built housing and retail projects in Chinatown and Bridgeport. He’s enlarged his ambitions in recent years and aimed for splashier deals, but the economy has thwarted him.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 5:51 PM

^any other info on that besides a cool picture?

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 6:00 PM
Marina City

There is some construction fencing and small equipment at the end of the river walk next the the State St. bridge. The workers are chiping at the sidewalk. I hope this is the start of the walkway to extend the river walk.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:38 PM
Windy City Dan

Mansueto Library writeup in WIRED

Nice to see the library made the news in WIRED, I love the design but I didnt know robots retrieved the books. That's incredible!

Link to article:
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/...sueto-library/

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 9:16 PM
The City

I really love the design about that Chinatown complex by See Wong. Everything about it says "welcome to a place that in no way resembles the sunbelt."

Unfortunately, Mr. Wong doesn't have a great track record of getting his big projects done. Maybe by phasing it he'll have more success

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 9:21 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Given that render, I'd say its fortunate. That advertising is atrocious, not to mention that brick log on top. It doesn't even make use of the acute angle. it just flat out ignores it. Even the garish awnings...ugh. Reminds me of a hotel I lived in that was built in the 50s and converted to apartments. Glad to see design hasn't advanced in 60 years.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 10:38 PM
THAT Guy

New Testa produce facility with wind turbine

Testa's New Produce by floozefactor?, on Flickr

The new wind by floozefactor?, on Flickr

The Forum Building on 43rd is going to be demolished

The Forum by metroblossom, on Flickr

Last edited by spyguy; May 11, 2011 at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 11:15 PM

What's the story with The Forum building? I was always curious about that (obviously). Any idea what the interior was? Says it'll be demolished this month due to "extensive structural damage and loose, falling bricks".

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 12:13 AM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

Based on a quick Google search:

It was an important black dancehall in the early twentieth century, known for being a bit dangerous. It was also used for civil rights and labors meetings and rallies.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 12:18 AM

So is the testa produce on 15th and blue island closed now then?

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 12:51 AM

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...-students.html

Chinatown complex starts with students
DAVID ROEDER

Developer See Wong, who runs Wabash Development Group, is one determined guy.

For more than two decades, Wong has built housing and retail projects in Chinatown and Bridgeport. He’s enlarged his ambitions in recent years and aimed for splashier deals, but the economy has thwarted him.
[/QUOTE]

I actually love this proposal. I think all of the advertisement screens will be a nice little touch of Hong Kong here in the Midwest. The top of the building seems a little boring but it isn't horrible! I think that this along with the mall proposed in stage 2 will completely enhance this area for the better.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 1:06 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The Forum Building on 43rd is going to be demolished

The Forum by metroblossom, on Flickr
^ GREAT!

After all, the south side doesn't have enough vacant lots

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
You've apparently never sat in a Eames DCM chair then.
Besides, I'm not sure it makes sense to fill a reading/study room with ultra deluxe lazyboy comfy chairs.
I certainly have, and have been blessed with the opportunity to sit in a great variety of chairs. (The obvious clever response here would be "You've apparently never spent a lot of time in a library then," but there is not a need to go there.) And why are lazyboy comfy chairs, of the ultra deluxe variety, the only other possible alternative to consider here?
You can't just look at the fact that it's form-fitting wood. You have to consider the height of the back, whether any flexibility is built in (cantilever or otherwise), and, more importantly, the fact any surface with a lack of friction means the body must expend energy to stay on the chair or else limit the number of postures one can sit in when exhausted in the middle of the night. Also if one has a fat wallet in a back pocket it will become very uncomfortable after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
BUT --- that glass will be a major cleaning chore, the more horizontal the more dust and dirt on the outside, the lower the more fingerprints and head smudges.
Jahn turns out beautiful designs but he has a history of largely ignoring the practical long-term maintenance and usage needs of his projects. Is it really smart to have a hard, slick floor, with those chairs, in a library reading room (not the stacks or corridors)? Even just sliding a chair over a bit as one walks away or arrives at a table will cause the chairs to clank against each other. And notice there are no soft surfaces here to absorb sounds (normally there are at least books and shelves; nothing here seems to be replacing that function with this unique underground design). Do people remember what it's like to be in a college library in the winter -- if you got 50 people in one area, you're guaranteed to end up with a couple coughs per minute. Nowadays, people got laptops that click and beep and cellphones that vibrate, chirp, etc. It looks as though this will be as much an acoustic nightmare as it is beautiful. Classic Jahn.
I can only assume this isn't meant as a major study library, but just for reference while accessing the stacks below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
As per spyguy's link, hopefully Jahn learned his lesson after the Thompson Center fiasco in 1985.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 1:15 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
As per spyguy's link, hopefully Jahn learned his lesson after the Thompson Center fiasco in 1985.
I would assume so. Those grey columns are an integrated lighting and HVAC solution, and they seem to be pretty closely-spaced.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
What's the story with The Forum building? I was always curious about that (obviously). Any idea what the interior was? Says it'll be demolished this month due to "extensive structural damage and loose, falling bricks".
Too bad. I always enjoyed riding by that on the Green Line, imagining what it could be if rehabbed.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 3:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I certainly have, and have been blessed with the opportunity to sit in a great variety of chairs. (The obvious clever response here would be "You've apparently never spent a lot of time in a library then," but there is not a need to go there.) And why are lazyboy comfy chairs, of the ultra deluxe variety, the only other possible alternative to consider here?
My point was more that I don't think I've ever been to a formal library reading room where there is anything other than solid wood chairs. I can't even recall seeing chairs with fabric. I know Loyola's Art Deco library room has only solid wood chairs at its tables.

And yes, the likely alternative in such a setting would be some sort of ultra plush chair. Loyola's new IC which is an attempt to create a more casual study environment is filled with them as are parts of the Reg.

Quote:
You can't just look at the fact that it's form-fitting wood. You have to consider the height of the back, whether any flexibility is built in (cantilever or otherwise), and, more importantly, the fact any surface with a lack of friction means the body must expend energy to stay on the chair or else limit the number of postures one can sit in when exhausted in the middle of the night. Also if one has a fat wallet in a back pocket it will become very uncomfortable after a while.
I don't see anything wrong with the height of the back and I don't buy that a wood surface chair requires the body to "constantly expend energy". As I said before, I find that molded plywood scoops up the body and comfortably enforces good posture. The only way you'll be sliding out of those chairs is if you are slouching down in them like one would in a lounge chair, which is exactly my point, this is not that kind of an environment. Molded plywood is also known for having just the right amount of spring in it to provide some flexibility while remaining firm, I doubt that will be an issue. Fact is you can say they don't look comfortable all you want, but you won't know unless you try them.

PS if you are carrying a fat wallet around in your back pocket that's your own damn fault. That's a good way to A. Get pick-pocketed and B. give yourself back problems. Also, is it really that hard to just remove the offending wallet from your pocket while you sit? I know I remove my keys (which I keep there instead of wallet which goes in front right pocket to keep it safe) whenever I sit down.

Quote:
Jahn turns out beautiful designs but he has a history of largely ignoring the practical long-term maintenance and usage needs of his projects. Is it really smart to have a hard, slick floor, with those chairs, in a library reading room (not the stacks or corridors)? Even just sliding a chair over a bit as one walks away or arrives at a table will cause the chairs to clank against each other. And notice there are no soft surfaces here to absorb sounds (normally there are at least books and shelves; nothing here seems to be replacing that function with this unique underground design). Do people remember what it's like to be in a college library in the winter -- if you got 50 people in one area, you're guaranteed to end up with a couple coughs per minute. Nowadays, people got laptops that click and beep and cellphones that vibrate, chirp, etc. It looks as though this will be as much an acoustic nightmare as it is beautiful. Classic Jahn.
I can only assume this isn't meant as a major study library, but just for reference while accessing the stacks below.
Again, I don't think this is going to be an issue. The entire IC at Loyola is precast concrete and glass and there is no issue. Most classical reading rooms are cavernous halls with stone walls, wood ceilings and marble floors and its never and issue there. Acoustics is a lot more than "are there any soft surfaces" and I am wiling to bet an acoustics expert is a always a key player in a project of this scale and caliber. I know you were just ripping on me for saying this before, but are you sure you've ever been to a library? Because I can't recall a single major library I've been too that didn't have a massive, hard surfaced, reading room with echo-y, yet pleasant acoustics. The Reg lacks such a formal space right now and this is meant to fill that role.

For example, Loyola University's reading room:

hedlundarchitects.com

You tell me what in that room is going to absorb sound and what on those chairs is different from the Jahn chairs. This is a perfectly functional room and an epic space. Massive image here: http://www.luc.edu/campus_reservatio...L/Donovan3.JPG

Another fine example; New York Public Library Reading Room:

amirsudjono.com

Again, what is absorbing sound here other than the row of books along the bottom? Just look at all those poor bookworms struggling mightily to keep themselves from flying off those frictionless wood chairs! I think you are expecting this room to be something it's not supposed to be. This isn't a "cuddle up for an all nighter" area. This is a "I need to read this book and take notes" area. If people want to get all warm and snuggly they will do it in the welcoming depths of the Reg.

Last edited by Nowhereman1280; May 12, 2011 at 3:23 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development