HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 3:05 PM

^^
Oh what could have been if the government took the long term view and decided to limit development right on the TCH and started building interchanges at a rate of one every 3 years. Heck, off the top of my head there is only really 4 that are immediately needed (Virden, Brandon, TCH/16, Elie, and Deacon's Corner). So in 12 years we could have the TCH in MB improved exponentially.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 3:23 PM

They did the tar and gravel on HWY 7 a year or two ago and this past winter utterly destroyed it. It is a complete mess now and needs attention.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 5:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was thinking of your post when I drove to and from Saskatoon on the weekend. The TCH through the urban areas is utterly wretched. I don't get it. The Brandon segment in particular is just an absolute horror. How did it get so bad? You go a few kms to the east or west and it's fine, but the section of highway through Brandon is a disaster.

Portage is also a shitshow, the segments around the east/west interchanges are just brutal with comically narrow lanes, rough pavement and just bad overall geometry. It's still 1960s standards all around over there.

The TCH through Headingley is awful and I don't understand how this was ever allowed in the first place. The highway entrances into Regina and Saskatoon look like you're entering Toronto by comparison, while the TCH into Winnipeg makes it look like you're entering a rural town like Altona. Even apart from the transportation considerations, the image it presents is horrendous.

The rest of the TCH is fine apart from the lack of grade separations.

I am not a regular long haul driver but I did notice an incredible amount of semi-trailer traffic. I got to Winnipeg around 11 pm and pretty well that entire stretch from Portage to Winnipeg I noticed an endless stream of semis heading west. By contrast, I didn't notice a single train from Regina to Winnipeg (did they take the day off for the long weekend, or what?!). Is there just a general tendency among transportation companies to have drivers leave Winnipeg around 10 pm for an overnight drive to Calgary?
What do you mean? Doesn't this just scream that you are entering a city of ~750,000 on the major cross-country route into the city? There's a Best Western Plus and a Denny's up the way. Denny's, the finest dining of them all.

As for Portage, if one pretends that the outermost lanes aren't turning lanes, you're practically on the 401 on this stretch. Does the 401 use this sort of value-engineering for overpasses? I think not. Entitled Ontario transportation engineers have been at the taxpayer trough, building twice the amount of overpass on the public dime. So much frippery, so ostentatious. This solution has resisted the winds, the snows, the rains of nearly a decade now. Such efficiency, such value for the taxpayer.

Finally, sir, who would dare complain of the delights of Brandon. For all Saskatoon may brand itself the Paris of the Prairies, in this view, Brandon shall be the French Riviera of the Prairies. The value of the Motel 6, the fine culinary experiences of the Golden Arches, the luxuriousness of homes on wheels.

For shame, sir.

Last edited by thewave46; May 24, 2022 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
What do you mean? Doesn't this just scream that you are entering a city of ~750,000 on the major cross-country route into the city. There's a Best Western Plus and a Denny's up the way. Denny's, the finest dining of them all.

As for Portage, if one pretends that the outermost lanes aren't turning lanes, you're practically on the 401 on this stretch. Does the 401 use this sort of value-engineering for overpasses? I think not. Entitled Ontario transportation engineers have been at the taxpayer trough, building twice the amount of overpass on the public dime. So much frippery, so ostentatious. This solution has resisted the winds, the snows, the rains of nearly a decade now. Such efficiency, such value for the taxpayer.

Finally, sir, who would dare complain of the delights of Brandon. For all Saskatoon may brand itself the Paris of the Prairies, in this view, Brandon shall be the French Riviera of the Prairies. The value of the Motel 6, the fine culinary experiences of the Golden Arches, the luxuriousness of homes on wheels.

For shame. sir.
This forum seriously needs to have 'Like' buttons!

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 5:59 PM

It's true, I sold Brandon's impressive array of fast food outlets, roadside motels and RV dealers short. Mea culpa

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 1:09 AM

Landmark Planning is currently designing a southern expansion to Ile des Chenes. One of their presented options will add another connection to PTH 59.

https://nivervillecitizen.com/news/l...to-be-unveiled

I sincerely hope the province shoots that one down if it ends up being the selected design.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Landmark Planning is currently designing a southern expansion to Ile des Chenes. One of their presented options will add another connection to PTH 59.

https://nivervillecitizen.com/news/l...to-be-unveiled

I sincerely hope the province shoots that one down if it ends up being the selected design.
Absolutely! If the developer wants access to the highway. They can cough up the money for an interchange!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 5:06 PM

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...use+Boards.pdf

I don't think there's any connections to Hwy 59 being proposed. They're connecting to Old 59.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 6:57 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...use+Boards.pdf

I don't think there's any connections to Hwy 59 being proposed. They're connecting to Old 59.
Yeah pretty decent options as far as suburban style developments go
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yeah pretty decent options as far as suburban style developments go
Yea that's good. You can see their original proposals on slide 8 of that. Bith 3A and 3B had connections to the actual highway, not old 59. Glad that isn't the preferred option they go over.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 4:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=55103

Manitoba
FrançaisJune 10, 2022
MANITOBA GOVERNMENT INVESTS $36 MILLION IN BURNTWOOD RIVER BRIDGE REHABILITATION
– – –
Northern Manitoba Project will Facilitate Alamos Gold Mine Development, Improve Local Transportation: Piwniuk

The Manitoba government is investing $36 million toward the rehabilitation of the Miles Hart Bridge, which spans the Burntwood River three kilometres north of Provincial Trunk Highway 6 in Thompson, Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Doyle Piwniuk announced today.

“Our government recognizes the importance of quality infrastructure in strengthening transportation routes and contributing to economic development, a commitment we confirmed in the three-year capital plan announced as part of Budget 2022,” said Piwniuk. “This project will provide an improved, safe and sustainable bridge crossing on Provincial Road (PR) 391 for residents and communities in northern Manitoba, while also helping to facilitate economic development by creating employment and boosting the local and provincial economies

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 6:32 AM

A trucker friend who lives in the area reports that construction has started on the project on Hwy 23 between 10 and 18.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=55103

Manitoba
FrançaisJune 10, 2022
MANITOBA GOVERNMENT INVESTS $36 MILLION IN BURNTWOOD RIVER BRIDGE REHABILITATION
– – –
Northern Manitoba Project will Facilitate Alamos Gold Mine Development, Improve Local Transportation: Piwniuk
Man. $36 million just to rehab a two lane bridge.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 3:55 PM

I see the MB government has expanded the Highway 3 renewal. Last year they put in 6 passing lanes between Brunkild and Carmen. They never got paved which I though was odd. Then this year I see that they added even more passing lanes and this past week have stripped all the old asphalt from Brunkild to Sperling and are now starting on the stretch from Sperling to Carmen. Supposedly its all getting fresh asphalt from Brunkild to Carmen with all the additional Passing lanes. And they are fixing the corner south of Brunkild and the dangerous on at Sperling that honestly has taken the most lives out of the entire stretch.

Nice to see it's not just going to be the chip and far they did 5 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 4:18 PM

^ That's a good step, but there should be plans to twin PTH 3 past Sanford, and ideally to Carman.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 9:06 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Man. $36 million just to rehab a two lane bridge.
Indeed meanwhile the Churchill River Bridge is a disaster of pot holes

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 12:56 PM
What could go wrong?

The Churchill River Bridge is slated for repairs late this year or in 2023.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 2:55 AM

Pth 23

Drove it today from Minto to the Junction with PTH 18. They are just over 1/2 done with a new base layered over the original base and two layers of asphalt and fully paved shoulders. A dream to drive on.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 1:52 PM
BANNED

Drove #75 south a few days ago, highway a complete piece of shit from St. Agathe to Morris, all joint have failed, softball size chunks of concrete strewn about the roadway and shoulders…complete safety hazard!

Anywhere else they would probably close the road and reroute traffic to the other lane!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Drove #75 south a few days ago, highway a complete piece of shit from St. Agathe to Morris, all joint have failed, softball size chunks of concrete strewn about the roadway and shoulders…complete safety hazard!

Anywhere else they would probably close the road and reroute traffic to the other lane!
i drove 3 weeks ago and it was same. i couldn't believe the size of chunks concrete on highway. how hard is to deploy a crew to move those? (probably similar to how hard it is to deploy a city crew to Main & higgins to pick up garbage)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan