HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 1:20 AM

i cant wait to see this rise (:

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
The boom has been changing direction over the last 10 days and I thought it was in use. I wonder it there will be another tower crane. I don't see a concrete pad down there for another one.
From my understanding, there will be four tower cranes.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlawg View Post
From my understanding, there will be four tower cranes.
Wow....four sounds like a bit much.. especially when the WTC project only needed 2 tower cranes

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 8:53 PM

Probably two on the tower and maybe two on the lowrise part?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Wow....four sounds like a bit much.. especially when the WTC project only needed 2 tower cranes
3 on the Tower, one for the podium.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 12:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Pretty sure the architects went with the spire because it will be unique for LA in an otherwise flat-topped skyline, rather than some imagined height competition. In a time when hundreds of supertalls are u/c and proposed (and even a couple megatalls), I doubt an 1,100 tower will be that big a deal to the world.

As someone who lives near LA, I'm more excited about how this building will help in Downtown's revitalization and of course it's skyline than it's official height.
exactly. you can tell the person you're dealing is somewhat delusional and has biased proclivities when they claim this building's "the tallest ____" accolades based on the spire. automatically wholsale discount their opinion with that demonstration of disingenuous thinking.

as far as comparative heights go, isn't US bank tower going to look higher being situated on bunker hill? I assumed that was why Wilshire Grand should have a lower profile than US bank.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 6:20 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

More interesting info on the construction plans and timeline for the tower.

http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2013...e-grand-center

Conco to Do the Concrete for New Wilshire Grand Center

The company looks forward to reshaping the L.A. skyline with their concrete work on the tallest building west of the Mississippi.

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) December 23, 2013

Conco is pleased to announce that they will take an essential role in the construction of another landmark project with their recent award of the concrete package. The new Wilshire Grand Center, owned by Korean Air, will be built in the financial district of downtown Los Angeles and is slated to become the tallest building in the U.S. west of the Mississippi. Up until now the title had been held by the 73-story U.S. Bank Tower located only blocks from the site of the new Wilshire Grand.

The mat foundation is scheduled for February 15, 2014 when Conco pours the largest continuous mat foundation ever done in the United States. Jesse Cook, Conco’s senior project manager, said, “Conco is very excited to be a part of such a historic undertaking. We have carefully planned the project down to the very last detail and will complete the pour of over 21,000 cubic yards of concrete over the course of 24 hours.” He went on to say, “By the end, we will have completed a foundation that is nearly 20 ft thick.”

The new Wilshire Grand is being built by Turner Construction Co., one of the largest general contractors in the U.S. Scott Borland, Turner’s Constructive Executive of the project, said, “Turner Construction is proud to announce that we have selected Conco as our trade partner to perform the structural concrete work at the Wilshire Grand Hotel Project in Downtown Los Angeles. Conco has been a trade partner with Turner Construction over the years and had selected Conco for their expertise within the concrete industry to assist with this iconic tower that will be in fact the tallest structure west of the Mississippi when completed late 4th Quarter of 2016!”

The new building will be one of the first skyscrapers built in downtown L.A. since the early 90’s with an estimated cost of $1 billion for the total development of the property. To receive the designation of the tallest building in the West, the Wilshire Grand will stand at 1,100 ft. tall and include a 900-room hotel, retail and office space.

The whole building is on an accelerated schedule including Conco’s role. There will be a poured-in-place core wall going up the building surrounded by slab on metal deck. The core is 130 ft X 35 ft with some floors with walls up to 4 ft. thick. Cook added, “We will be on a 4-day core wall cycle, which means that every 4 days, concrete for a new floor will be poured. Given our extensive experience on other large-scale projects, we are confident that we will have no trouble in meeting all of our ambitious goals.”

About The Conco Companies:
Conco has been delivering premium concrete services throughout the Western U.S. since 1959. We continue to upgrade and expand facilities to better serve the growing market for public works projects, commercial, educational, parking structures, and other construction development. The Conco name has been an integral partner on many architecturally distinguished projects, and we commit to bringing that same standard of excellence to each job we undertake.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 7:18 AM

awesome find i went to downtown this morning and got some pics ill try and post em b4 i go to sleep

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 8:08 AM

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
More interesting info on the construction plans and timeline for the tower.

http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2013...e-grand-center

Conco to Do the Concrete for New Wilshire Grand Center

The company looks forward to reshaping the L.A. skyline with their concrete work on the tallest building west of the Mississippi.

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) December 23, 2013

Conco is pleased to announce that they will take an essential role in the construction of another landmark project with their recent award of the concrete package. The new Wilshire Grand Center, owned by Korean Air, will be built in the financial district of downtown Los Angeles and is slated to become the tallest building in the U.S. west of the Mississippi. Up until now the title had been held by the 73-story U.S. Bank Tower located only blocks from the site of the new Wilshire Grand.

The mat foundation is scheduled for February 15, 2014 when Conco pours the largest continuous mat foundation ever done in the United States. Jesse Cook, Conco’s senior project manager, said, “Conco is very excited to be a part of such a historic undertaking. We have carefully planned the project down to the very last detail and will complete the pour of over 21,000 cubic yards of concrete over the course of 24 hours.” He went on to say, “By the end, we will have completed a foundation that is nearly 20 ft thick.”

The new Wilshire Grand is being built by Turner Construction Co., one of the largest general contractors in the U.S. Scott Borland, Turner’s Constructive Executive of the project, said, “Turner Construction is proud to announce that we have selected Conco as our trade partner to perform the structural concrete work at the Wilshire Grand Hotel Project in Downtown Los Angeles. Conco has been a trade partner with Turner Construction over the years and had selected Conco for their expertise within the concrete industry to assist with this iconic tower that will be in fact the tallest structure west of the Mississippi when completed late 4th Quarter of 2016!”

The new building will be one of the first skyscrapers built in downtown L.A. since the early 90’s with an estimated cost of $1 billion for the total development of the property. To receive the designation of the tallest building in the West, the Wilshire Grand will stand at 1,100 ft. tall and include a 900-room hotel, retail and office space.

The whole building is on an accelerated schedule including Conco’s role. There will be a poured-in-place core wall going up the building surrounded by slab on metal deck. The core is 130 ft X 35 ft with some floors with walls up to 4 ft. thick. Cook added, “We will be on a 4-day core wall cycle, which means that every 4 days, concrete for a new floor will be poured. Given our extensive experience on other large-scale projects, we are confident that we will have no trouble in meeting all of our ambitious goals.”

About The Conco Companies:
Conco has been delivering premium concrete services throughout the Western U.S. since 1959. We continue to upgrade and expand facilities to better serve the growing market for public works projects, commercial, educational, parking structures, and other construction development. The Conco name has been an integral partner on many architecturally distinguished projects, and we commit to bringing that same standard of excellence to each job we undertake.
Good article, sounds like accurate information.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 10:13 PM

How fast do concrete pours usually go? I'm assuming a floor every 4 days is very fast.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
How fast do concrete pours usually go? I'm assuming a floor every 4 days is very fast.
There is a 280-unit, 12-13 floor building under construction across the street from our apartment in DC and they are building about 1.5 floors per week. I am very impressed at their productivity. Admittedly, a 12-story box has a lot less engineering than the Wilshire Grand will.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 4:31 AM

"The tower’s superstructure lateral system consists of a nearly rectangular four-cell cast-in-place reinforced concrete shear wall system. The gravity system consists of concrete-filled metal deck floor slabs supported by composite steel wide-flange framing."
http://www.thorntontomasetti.com/pro...e_grand_center

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 4:46 AM

"Utilizing a unique lateral system; the building has a concrete core wall up to 4 feet in thickness with buckling restrained outrigger braces in the transverse direction at three elevations along the height of the structure. At two of the outrigger levels the structure has a perimeter belt truss to resist torsion and provide for vertical load redundancy."

"For gravity loads the structure utilizes a concrete and metal deck floor framing with structural steel beams and girders. The perimeter building columns are composite steel box columns filled with structural concrete."

"The top of the building has a 100-foot tall sail structure with two BMU’s (Building Maintenance Units) for window washing and a tactical landing approach. The uppermost top of the structure will be crowned with an artist designed architectural spire..."
http://bjsce.com/portfolio/high-rise...-with-gallery/

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
exactly. you can tell the person you're dealing is somewhat delusional and has biased proclivities when they claim this building's "the tallest ____" accolades based on the spire. automatically wholsale discount their opinion with that demonstration of disingenuous thinking.

as far as comparative heights go, isn't US bank tower going to look higher being situated on bunker hill? I assumed that was why Wilshire Grand should have a lower profile than US bank.
The wilshire grand main entrance is at 278' MSL. The US bank buildings main entrance is on 5th St at an elevation of 295' MSL. The north parking entrance is located 30' or 40' higher on Hope Pl. The top of bunker hill is near the Wells Fargo area 385' MSL

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 10:18 AM
BANNED

thanks. i just noticed you already mentioned this above.

less than twenty feet of difference. I had no clue there was another 90 feet of elevation from US bank to the top of bunker hill. apparently US bank is nearer the bottom of the hill.

the height discrepancy is due to it being substantially shorter than US bank tower, full stop. Wilshire grand is nowhere near being an 1,100 foot building or a supertall in actual terms and one would be an idiot to use an arbitrarily derived technicality to state otherwise. i challenge any booster to try.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 2:08 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
There is a 280-unit, 12-13 floor building under construction across the street from our apartment in DC and they are building about 1.5 floors per week. I am very impressed at their productivity. Admittedly, a 12-story box has a lot less engineering than the Wilshire Grand will.
Also seismic codes are much more stringent in LA as compared to DC.

-sb

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Borland, Turner’s Constructive Executive View Post
"...iconic tower that will be in fact the tallest structure west of the Mississippi...”
[nitpick]
"Tallest structure"??? Kennecott Smokestack in Utah is 1,215 ft high, and the Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas is 1,149 ft high, both freestanding "structures" that are taller. There are also some TV towers up to 2,000 ft high west of the Mississippi river, they use guy-wires and aren't freestanding, but they are taller "structures." Also, US Bank Tower will still have the highest inhabitable floor at 967.6 ft.
[/nitpick]

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 3:22 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
thanks. i just noticed you already mentioned this above.

less than twenty feet of difference. I had no clue there was another 90 feet of elevation from US bank to the top of bunker hill. apparently US bank is nearer the bottom of the hill.

the height discrepancy is due to it being substantially shorter than US bank tower, full stop. Wilshire grand is nowhere near being an 1,100 foot building or a supertall in actual terms and one would be an idiot to use an arbitrarily derived technicality to state otherwise. i challenge any booster to try.
This may be true but since 900+ foot tall skyscrapers in downtown LA are pretty if not extremely rare (the US Bank Tower being the LONE exception), can't we just be happy that DTLA is getting a skyscraper let alone one that may or may not be the tallest in the West?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
[nitpick]
"Tallest structure"??? Kennecott Smokestack in Utah is 1,215 ft high, and the Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas is 1,149 ft high, both freestanding "structures" that are taller. There are also some TV towers up to 2,000 ft high west of the Mississippi river, they use guy-wires and aren't freestanding, but they are taller "structures." Also, US Bank Tower will still have the highest inhabitable floor at 967.6 ft.
[/nitpick]
You should call Mr. Borland and let him know of his mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
This may be true but since 900+ foot tall skyscrapers in downtown LA are pretty if not extremely rare (the US Bank Tower being the LONE exception), can't we just be happy that DTLA is getting a skyscraper let alone one that may or may not be the tallest in the West?
Thank you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive