HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 8:42 PM

Santa Lucia rooftop patio on St.Mary's at base of bridge finally opened!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 8:31 PM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 11:00 PM

taken this AM:

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
taken this AM:

Is it open?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:12 PM
BANNED

The Tallest Poppy is now closed.. go centreventure go

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Care to elaborate? What did centreventure do to close the tallest poppy?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 7:26 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Excuse me? What exactly does CV have to do with The Tallest Poppy closing?

Talia hasn't been open on weekdays for months now because she is running her catering business Monday to Friday.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Negative Space (venue around North Main) is also closing. Centre Venture has spent millions to help destroy heritage buildings and build suburban government offices. with taxpayer money. small, private businesses, which CV's developments were supposed to encourage, are closing. that's all I'm saying.

what private businesses have opened in that area since the WRHA and United Way buildings went up? can anyone name even one?

Last edited by headhorse; Jun 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 9:39 PM

Went to Joey Restaurant Polo Park on Saturday. What a piece of crap.

Servers were not very helpful or friendly, food wasn't very good. My burger was alright, but my GF got physically sick later that night from her tuna. Yes, she actually lost her stomach when we got home. They closed an hour early because 25 people boozing in the lounge was not enough to stay open. One guy confronted the manager about it and they said it was their discretion to close. So the guy says "What, all these people drinking is not good enough?" And the manager said no.

When we were walking out, we could over hear the waitresses in the kitchen. They were complaining because nobody tipped them. They were angry. Well what do you expect when you kick everyone out an hour early?!

Never again will I enter those doors.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 11:52 PM

^ Not a fan of Joey. It's an OK place to go for a drink, but I can't say that I really enjoy their food.

It's a compromise restaurant when no one in a group can agree on where to go for dinner, much like Earls and Moxie's. But somehow, Joey is the least satisfying of them all.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 1:15 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Negative Space (venue around North Main) is also closing. Centre Venture has spent millions to help destroy heritage buildings and build suburban government offices. with taxpayer money. small, private businesses, which CV's developments were supposed to encourage, are closing. that's all I'm saying.

what private businesses have opened in that area since the WRHA and United Way buildings went up? can anyone name even one?
Correlation does not equal causation.

I would like to see how you connect CV to The Tallest Poppy being closed.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 1:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Correlation does not equal causation.

I would like to see how you connect CV to The Tallest Poppy being closed.
there's a reason most cities have abandoned development agencies such as Centre Venture. Several years ago, the neighbourhood was seeing investment and interest from a certain demographic. The Edge opened along with Tallest Poppy plus there was Golden City just off Main. CV came in and replaced potential buildings that could contribute to this positive movement with sterile government offices that employ a different demographic and cater to another. it destroyed a part of what made the area unique and what brought those businesses and customers to there in the first place. I don't doubt Talia was busy with catering (and Come n' Eat) but I think if the neighbourhood had been allowed to develop organically without intervention from CV things might be different.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 2:19 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
there's a reason most cities have abandoned development agencies such as Centre Venture. Several years ago, the neighbourhood was seeing investment and interest from a certain demographic. The Edge opened along with Tallest Poppy plus there was Golden City just off Main. CV came in and replaced potential buildings that could contribute to this positive movement with sterile government offices that employ a different demographic and cater to another. it destroyed a part of what made the area unique and what brought those businesses and customers to there in the first place. I don't doubt Talia was busy with catering (and Come n' Eat) but I think if the neighbourhood had been allowed to develop organically without intervention from CV things might be different.
So this is just your baseless rant against CV.

Understood.

Carry on.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:33 AM
BANNED

It wasn't a baseless rant, development agencies such as Centre Venture have a long history of corruption and failure. With Ross McGowan's firm getting contracts from CV and the continue trickle of slow private development despite millions spent by CV, it would be irresponsible to not question them and their motives. Not to mention, the way the city develops and the type of businesses that are allowed or desired in certain areas shouldn't be dictated by a taxpayer funded, un-elected group.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 1:11 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
It wasn't a baseless rant, development agencies such as Centre Venture have a long history of corruption and failure. With Ross McGowan's firm getting contracts from CV and the continue trickle of slow private development despite millions spent by CV, it would be irresponsible to not question them and their motives. Not to mention, the way the city develops and the type of businesses that are allowed or desired in certain areas shouldn't be dictated by a taxpayer funded, un-elected group.
Fine. That is your opinion.

What does it have to do with The Tallest Poppy?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Is it open?
opened yesterday!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 1:37 PM

For a while, there actually was a bit of a resurgence taking place on Main Street in that some businesses and organizations not catering to the North Main bar-and-hotel crowd were setting up shop there for the first time in many years. MAWA, Tallest Poppy, Yuki Sushi, Golden City, Neon Factory, a couple of professional offices...

However, since the big health offices opened up that progress has more or less ground to a halt. I can't think of anything that has opened up on Main Street since then other than Jing Jing Chinese Restaurant. And now Tallest Poppy is closing.

Considering that the big health offices were intended to spark even more growth and regeneration in that area, I would say that to now they have been a failure from that standpoint given that it appears to be having the opposite (or at best, a totally neutral) effect. I wouldn't blame the local health entity since all they needed were offices, and they thought that they were doing something good for the community by locating on Main. However, CV appears to have made a huge mistake in concluding that levelling an entire block of Main Street to build a mediocre office building and hideous parkade would actually improve the area.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 3:48 PM

Here is an intersting question, the A&W on Portage just west of Sturgeon has a "For Lease/Tenant Relocating" sign up. Anyone know where the new location is for the A&W?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 8:44 PM

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Bar closing at Royal Albert
By: Staff Writer

The storied century-old Royal Albert Arms Hotel won’t be serving alcohol in the foreseeable future.

Co-owner Daren Jorgenson made the announcement about his recent dealing with the Manitoba Liquor Control Commission on the business’s Facebook page this morning.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...212185621.html

Difficult for a live music venue.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 7:29 PM

Looks like the forms are almost all in place at Cafe 22 and close to pouring the foundation soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan