HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Back to the Coyotes/Houston thing. I see this happening in the near future. As early as next season.

Hear me out. The Coyotes owners are borowing against the team to cover losses from last season (18M) . ASU Is not interested in building such a massive arena for the sun devils. The arena lease at Gila river arena (jobing) is a year by year lease. How long are shareholders going to put up with this? I can see them cashing out to break even and Houston icing a team as soon as next season
The Coyotes have already agreed to play another season at Gila River Arena so they will be staying in Glendale at least through the 2018-19 season. I will say they are living on borrowed time though. I cannot fathom the public (city or state) willing to fund another 16,000 seat $350 - 400 million arena which is what will be required as no potential owner in their right mind would spend half that amount to build a new home for the Coyotes.

We are talking about a franchise that has been a perpetual money-loser from the beginning and most likely has been losing $15 - 25 million per year for the past several years...especially with the loss a few years ago of a subsidy thanks to the idiocy of the previous ownership group.

Phoenix is not that vital to the league's maintenance/growth of their footprint within America. 1) Their games are never featured on national television so they are of little importance to the national tv contract 2) having a team in Las Vegas pretty much takes care of the surrounding region/tv territory when the Coyotes move to Houston. NHl maintains its footprint within the region.

Given the huge annual losses, no reasonable person will want to own the Coyotes in perpetuity. It's only a matter of time before they are gone...2 perhaps three years.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
We are talking about a franchise that has been a perpetual money-loser from the beginning and most likely has been losing $15 - 25 million per year for the past several years...especially with the loss a few years ago of a subsidy thanks to the idiocy of the previous ownership group.
And that hilarious level of idiocy basically caused that ownership group to get the boot. And some here are cheering the lead idiot from trying to scam another city.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 4:18 PM

New WEM rink up and running......

Dr4d7wV by BLACK STAR III, on Flickr

Original picture by B.ike C2e

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 7:19 PM

I remember when they used to run Oilers practices at the Mall. I don't see much hockey of any kind there, though. Do they still do minor hockey now and then?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I remember when they used to run Oilers practices at the Mall.
I remember seeing one during my first visit to the mall in 1988. It was amazing. It doesn't seem like it would have been an environment conducive to good practices, but it sure didn't seem to hurt the Oilers.

What did they change with the rink?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 7:57 PM
Near Generational

New iceplant and new boards.

The old boards were built into the mall. It felt like you were getting hit into a concrete wall, because you were getting hit into a concrete wall.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I remember when they used to run Oilers practices at the Mall. I don't see much hockey of any kind there, though. Do they still do minor hockey now and then?
Lots of hockey played there. Most notably: http://brickhockey.pointstreaksites....kinvitational/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

The old boards were built into the mall. It felt like you were getting hit into a concrete wall, because you were getting hit into a concrete wall.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:43 AM

New McMahon? CFL commissioner would love to chat
Daniel Austin Calgary Sun January 11, 2018

The Calgary Stampeders decided to have a lock out this week at McMahon stadium in preparation for Saturdays game against the Saskatchewan Roughriders in Calgary, Alta., on Tuesday, July 18, 2017. Darren Makowichuk Postmedia Calgary

BANFF – Randy Ambrosie would clearly love to see the Calgary Stampeders playing in a new stadium.

But the CFL commissioner isn’t going to threaten to move the team. He’s not going to try to influence local elections, and he’s not going to call Calgary’s mayor names.

If anyone wants to sit down and chat about the pros and cons of building a new stadium, though, he’d love to do so.

“Just give me the name of the person I need to go and see, and I’ll happily show up on their doorstep and make a pitch for why Calgary would be well-served (by a new stadium),” Ambrosie said Wednesday from the CFL’s annual GM meetings in Banff.

The CFL has seen a sudden rush of new stadiums and renovations to old facilities in recent years.

The B.C. Lions, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, the Toronto Argonauts and the Ottawa Redblacks have all seen either major renovations to their stadiums or have built new homes entirely, often in conjunction with local governments.

The Stampeders, though, are still playing in good old McMahon Stadium, built in 1961 and by far the most beat-up building in the league.

Getting a new facility has largely taken a backseat to ownership’s efforts to get a new arena built for the Calgary Flames, but Ambrosie clearly believes the city would benefit by looking at its options for a new stadium, as well.

“I believe putting a new stadium in that city is not just about the CFL. It is a lot about the CFL, but there’s a lot of great amateur football being played there,” Ambrosie said. “There’s the Dinos. There’s the great junior football team (the Colts). There’s an opportunity to attract national and international events. Development in our cities and the ability of our cities to attract events is a critical part of how these cities function, and I think it’s time for Calgary to come up with a solution for a new stadium.”

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:18 PM

As if Ambrosie could threaten to move the team out of Calgary anyways. Where would they go?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:36 PM
I am the law!

Ambrosie needs to tone it down. He's too aggressive for not having a button on his desk.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 12:41 AM

Ambrosie is doing just fine, in fact much better than hoped. He says things and goes and gets them done, CFL fans think he's the best thing since sliced bread. He is intent on growing the league in a big way and getting people to buy into it.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:40 AM

I admire Ambrosie's enthusiasm for trying to help Calgary but good luck getting anything done in this town. The sad reality is we're stuck with mcdump for years to come.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
I admire Ambrosie's enthusiasm for trying to help Calgary but good luck getting anything done in this town. The sad reality is we're stuck with mcdump for years to come.
I see a lot of criticism of the Flames management group (much of it deserved) but the decidedly negative posts here that emanate from Calgary can't be blamed on them. The western can-do attitude seems dead in Calgary and I'd blame that on the local leadership. If little Regina can find a way to build the best stadium in the country something is surely wrong in Calgary.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:02 PM
arf

Most of the problem in Calgary was the asinine way in which King first brought it up. And timing. Saskatchewan' s e only was close to running at an all time high when the vote happened. It's a lot easier to get support from all the levels needed in those condotions. Let oil rebound a little more and I am pretty certain talks would go better. It sucks for. Calgary but Kimg poisoned stadium or arena discussions for some time.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:12 PM
I am the law!

It's quite clear what your priorities are. Doesn't mean they are all that important in the grander scheme. For example, Transit maintenance & arts and culture & non profit healthcare services or a half billion dollar sports complex for tenants that could afford their own. It's great on Regina. Doesn't make Calgary any less "can do" for not following Regina's lead and with being 5 times the size of Regina. That's just ignorant.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:17 PM
I am the law!

Ambrosie definitely likes to talk on the public stage and perhaps ... just maybe a little too much. You're going to have to fill me in on what he has actually gotten done. It's not nothing. It's certainly no where near everything he has said. I really don't see the strategy of bringing up the stadium in Calgary now with the giant rift brought on by the Nenshi/King public escapade.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:09 PM

^ there is a tendency among CFL fans to think that having the same ownership as the local NHL team can only be positive, but Calgary might be an example of that type of arrangement being a hindrance... at least as far as a new stadium for Calgary is concerned.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:28 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

Hahaha indeed.

Having practices/played there many times, the ice was awful... far too soft and internal temps under equipment was not pleasant.

I had the fortune of sitting on the bench there in the late 80s when the Oilers practiced as Kurri was my neighbour.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 10:33 PM

I don't blame the city of Calgary for not wanting to spend public money on a stadium that will be used around 10 times a year. It's not a question if they can or can't... it's whether they should. And the answer seems to be that they shouldn't. Much more important things to spend money on - all of which will have a greater ROI.

I'm sure the city is willing to accept private investors to fund the stadium fully though. Any takers?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada