HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 5:16 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Honduras 2 Canada 1

Remember when you were a kid and wearing rubber boots when it rained and you would drag the boots in a big puddle to make big waves, that's what this game was.

The Hondruran Concacafing (cheating) was worse than normal, there were six minutes added on to the end of the game and they might have actually played 90 secs.

Lots of yellow cards (and one red) given to the Canadians (7 to Canada, 2 to Honduras) the only saving grace was that nobody was hurt. Hopefully a lesson learned and fuel for the fire.

Canada Soccer really needs to get itself together and find some competitive matches for this team outside of North America, otherwise they are going to be smoked in the World Cup. The last series of results, to say the least, have been disappointing and Canada has dropped some winnable games against lower ranked countries. The game against Honduras is an obvious outlier, but they really need to step up their efforts. They are really letting this team down.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Canada Soccer really needs to get itself together and find some competitive matches for this team outside of North America, otherwise they are going to be smoked in the World Cup. The last series of results, to say the least, have been disappointing and Canada has dropped some winnable games against lower ranked countries. The game against Honduras is an obvious outlier, but they really need to step up their efforts. They are really letting this team down.
The players boycotted a game against Panama, there's lots of blame to go around. They are close to agreements for games in the next window.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 4:47 PM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 8:45 PM
Community Guy

Reaction to FIFA World Cup 2026™ announcement
June 15, 2022

News media are invited to join Mayor Amarjeet Sohi and City Manager Andre Corbould as FIFA makes a major announcement related to the FIFA World Cup 2026™.

Date: Thursday, June 16
Time: 2:30 p.m. MDT
Location: Commonwealth Stadium, Alumni Room, 11000 Stadium Road

Local introductory comments will be made at 2:45 p.m. MDT. FIFA’s live broadcast event is scheduled to begin in New York at 5 p.m. EDT/3 p.m. MDT. Statements will be provided post live broadcast. The broadcast will be streamed live in the Alumni Room at Commonwealth Stadium.

We will host two people per media outlet. Please RSVP to carol.hurst@edmonton.ca to confirm attendance by 10 a.m., June 16.

News media may park in Lot B on the west side of Commonwealth Stadium, which is near the west entrance of Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre.

The Edmonton 2026 Bid Team and supporters of Edmonton’s bid to host FIFA World Cup 2026™ will also be at Commonwealth Stadium to view the announcement.

Media contact:
Carol Hurst
Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
587-987-7166

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 8:48 PM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 10:52 PM

Hearing Edmonton is out completely.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Wow awesome!!
Well it's a way bigger stadium and Vancouver is so picturesque from the HD helicopter shots broadcast around the world.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 12:29 AM

Arsenal and Manchester United target Jonathan David is set to move to the Premier League.
talksport.com June 15 2022

France football expert Julien Laurens told Sky Sports: “The Premier League is his next destination. A lot of big clubs and mid-table clubs have been looking at him. He was fantastic in Ligue 1 until the turn of the year. 2021 was amazing and 2022 he struggled.

“He travelled a lot to Canada for all the international breaks and with the Champions League too, physically that was a big to much at the turn of the year.

“You could tell he was not himself in terms of match sharpness. That is what makes him good, he struggled to take his chances and score but the talent is there.

“You can see the pattern: he took time to adapt in Belgium and then had an incredible season. In Lille he struggled a bit then adapted and then was fantastic.

“Then I would expect the next step is the Premier League, and Lille have to sell. They will sell Renato Sanches and Jonathan David too. Whoever signs him is lucky as he’s a good kid. But there’s a bit to work on.”

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Wow awesome!!
Well it's a way bigger stadium and Vancouver is so picturesque from the HD helicopter shots broadcast around the world.
It's not way bigger, in fact BC Place's capacity is a touch smaller. According to Wikipedia, Commonwealth Stadium seats 56,302 to BC Place's 54,405. Although I'm not sure if BC Place's figure accounts for the 300 or 400 or so additional field level seats that appear to have been installed for this season.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:27 AM

So does this mean Toronto will only host four games?

Quote:
Wow awesome!!
By this reasoning, Toronto should be out and the World Cup should be a uniquely Western Canada event.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's not way bigger, in fact BC Place's capacity is a touch smaller. According to Wikipedia, Commonwealth Stadium seats 56,302 to BC Place's 54,405. Although I'm not sure if BC Place's figure accounts for the 300 or 400 or so additional field level seats that appear to have been installed for this season.
I meant compared to BMO in Toronto.
I'm assuming Edmonton is out.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
So does this mean Toronto will only host four games?

By this reasoning, Toronto should be out and the World Cup should be a uniquely Western Canada event.
Ha I'm not really into that either.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 2:37 AM

Would be cool for the world to see such a first class Lego stadium in a first class city being Toronto. 20,000 extra temp seats to bring the capacity to an impressively massive 45,000 total.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:02 PM

Quote:
I meant compared to BMO in Toronto.
I'm assuming Edmonton is out.
Sorry, I misunderstood. Yeah, no question there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Would be cool for the world to see such a first class Lego stadium in a first class city being Toronto. 20,000 extra temp seats to bring the capacity to an impressively massive 45,000 total.
Is it really out of the question to host the World Cup matches at Skydome? I get that Toronto likes BMO Field but in terms of the international stage it's not exactly the most impressive stadium. If there was no other choice then it could do, but why force the World Cup in there when there's a bigger, better venue down the road? It would be like if LA hosted at that place where the Galaxy plays instead of the LA Memorial Coliseum.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:45 PM

Or, if there is absolutely any time in history that would be the “right time” to establish an NFL franchise in Toronto, the opportunity would not get better than this, to have a world class billion $ plus stadium built in partnership with all levels of government. Though I think it’s too late in the game for this to happen to meet the 2026 World Cup.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:50 PM
the first stamp is free

^ any stadium used with even a secondary intention for Toronto to get an NFL team should not have a nickel of federal funding.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:51 PM

Sounds like some Toronto people are losing it realizing Vancouver will get more games than them.
When you think so highly of yourself then a massive international organization disagrees lol.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:53 PM

Toronto is getting no nfl team Denver broncos sold for 4.65 billion u.s last week. Toronto would need 2 billion for a new stadium too so you are close to 7 billion USD or 10 billion CDN for an NFL team in a city that averaged only 8000 fans a game for Argos last year hardly a football hotbed right now.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ any stadium used with even a secondary intention for Toronto to get an NFL team should not have a nickel of federal funding.
Agreed. And I’m not one to think an NFL team would end up in TO, I just can’t ever see it happening, with the cost of purchasing the team and building a new stadium likely 6+ billion dollars… BUT all I’m saying is that if there ever was a time to have that cost subsidized, now would be it. But I’m like you and believe not a nickel should be spend from federal funds.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Sounds like some Toronto people are losing it realizing Vancouver will get more games than them.
When you think so highly of yourself then a massive international organization disagrees lol.
Toronto/Ontario kind of did it to themselves. They gave Rogers a very valuable major publicly-funded stadium for practically free, and now apparently it can't be used for big events like the World Cup anymore. Then again, I'm sure a big enough cheque to Rogers from the government would make them reconsider their position.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada