HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 7:38 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Ahh, something about vids of dtla, of things like both the beaudry tower & the mitsui apt proj across the street, give a more 'you are there' effect. The large led screens of the circa apt towers & new neighboring moxy hotel? Definitely get a better sense of their impact on the lower part of fig from a vid.

However, pics of the onni proj at Hill & olympic are pretty much all that's out there right now since youtubers tend not to do a lot of walking vids of that section of dt.

https://youtu.be/4pojMUs00As?t=48

^ I don't know why no one so far has done a walking tour of the grand LA proj. even more so since I don't believe it's totally closed to the public. Youtubers like the person above recently did show the related proj but as viewed from across the street, at disney hall, but another youtuber several days ago did walk around the perimeter. But that's about it.
One of the things that struck me most about this particular video is that the two big malls, FIGat7th and The Bloc, are both very inset and subterranean in nature, drawing people in and off the streets. Perhaps that's due to the location of the parking structures, signifying prioritization of shoppers arriving by private vehicle vs on foot. Once inside, they are fairly active places, but you wouldn't really know it from standing outside on the street.

I imagine DTLA would look a lot more vibrant and active if these retail stores and restaurants were street level and street facing. Multiple continuous blocks of wall to wall storefronts rather than an insular U-shaped sunken bunker. I think this is one area where The Grand may also falter from an urbanist standpoint being insular in nature, although it takes an opposite, elevated approach. When the videographer took the escalator up and out of the Bloc, it was a bit ironic that he was greeted immediately with a great view of the beautiful Roosevelt Building, an urban masterpiece, serving as a reminder of how far DTLA has strayed.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 8:08 AM
FlyyyFALiiFe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
I've always been confused with the regional connector. The idea of merging 3 separate light rail lines always had me scratching my head.

Basically the blue line(A) is taking over the gold lines track to APU, and the expo(E) is taking over the remainder of the former gold tracks that go to Atlantic, effectively killing the L line, do i have that right?
Beyond what the other forumers have already mentioned, the regional connector will bring better headways in and through downtown. It’s a really nice upgrade to the system overall. This is going to increase the need for an upgrade to the Washington/Flower Wye. And I imagine run through tracks at Union Station will revolutionize regional rail in the same manner the Regional Connector will Metro a few years later. Hopefully in time for the 2028 Olympics. I understood the project received funding as part of the release of funds to CA high speed rail.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
One of the things that struck me most about this particular video is that the two big malls, FIGat7th and The Bloc, are both very inset and subterranean in nature, drawing people in and off the streets. Perhaps that's due to the location of the parking structures, signifying prioritization of shoppers arriving by private vehicle vs on foot. Once inside, they are fairly active places, but you wouldn't really know it from standing outside on the street.

I imagine DTLA would look a lot more vibrant and active if these retail stores and restaurants were street level and street facing. Multiple continuous blocks of wall to wall storefronts rather than an insular U-shaped sunken bunker. I think this is one area where The Grand may also falter from an urbanist standpoint being insular in nature, although it takes an opposite, elevated approach. When the videographer took the escalator up and out of the Bloc, it was a bit ironic that he was greeted immediately with a great view of the beautiful Roosevelt Building, an urban masterpiece, serving as a reminder of how far DTLA has strayed.
I just watched the video…this is a prime example of how vids can totally mislead people. I’m not sure when they did the video, but I would think it was between 9 and 10am on a Sunday morning. The vibrancy and the energy of 7th on Fig, The Bloc, etc. is not captured at all. One would think it’s pretty quiet and that’s totally not the case.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 7:01 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I just watched the video…this is a prime example of how vids can totally mislead people. I’m not sure when they did the video, but I would think it was between 9 and 10am on a Sunday morning. The vibrancy and the energy of 7th on Fig, The Bloc, etc. is not captured at all. One would think it’s pretty quiet and that’s totally not the case.
Yeah, 7th street is pretty vibrant and The Bloc compliments it rather than takes away. Of course 7th was in a much better place prior to covid but will be back and even better in the coming years.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy View Post
Beyond what the other forumers have already mentioned, the regional connector will bring better headways in and through downtown. It’s a really nice upgrade to the system overall. This is going to increase the need for an upgrade to the Washington/Flower Wye. And I imagine run through tracks at Union Station will revolutionize regional rail in the same manner the Regional Connector will Metro a few years later. Hopefully in time for the 2028 Olympics. I understood the project received funding as part of the release of funds to CA high speed rail.
Thanks for the clarification guys!

I found a pretty informative video showing the before & afters of the changes and it's pretty great. I'll miss the expo aqua colors though.

Before

After

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 8:03 PM

^ Metro could always still bring the color back for a future line under a different letter (or number?).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 9:18 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I actually thought the video displayed a decent amount of pedestrian activity. I was just commenting that due to the built nature of these outdoorish malls, it’s not as apparent from the street as it would be if they were traditional urban storefronts.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
I actually thought the video displayed a decent amount of pedestrian activity. I was just commenting that due to the built nature of these outdoorish malls, it’s not as apparent from the street as it would be if they were traditional urban storefronts.
Oh I understood…I was just saying that it’s much more vibrant than the video.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Yeah, 7th street is pretty vibrant and The Bloc compliments it rather than takes away. Of course 7th was in a much better place prior to covid but will be back and even better in the coming years.
Yea. both places are vibrant on the weekends, even with covid now.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 1:04 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't agree with that. Standing on Figueroa, you see there is a constant stream of people going down into the mall on those esclators.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
At Mateo, across from Carmel in the arts district, has such a great street presence. Want more of this in LA... love the brickwork and metal look

It’s never noticed and always underappreciated, but beside the brickwork and the alley that adds that walkable feel, it’s the amount of plants and vegetation and the shading they provide that really give the public an invitation that the place welcomes them, both by the developer and the restaurant taking care to personalize their space. It seems so basic but designers of urban places in LA don’t seem to grasp that.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Thanks for the clarification guys!

I found a pretty informative video showing the before & afters of the changes and it's pretty great. I'll miss the expo aqua colors though.

Before

After
Wow! A subtle but important change to move the system forward. Super excited about all of the upcoming openings. We are often very critical (which is necessary) but I am proud of our city for trying to make important changes to our rail infrastructure! We have a lot more work to do!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 4:00 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Brookfield's "Beaudry"

Brookfield's "Beaudry" tower topped off in DTLA. 960 W 7th Street.

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...33724484083712

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 4:44 PM
SUSPENDED

^ You can see what the top of the unfinished beaudry apt tower looks like from the 70th floor of the nearby hotel Intercontinental:

https://youtu.be/4QMMXY6lUNA?t=419

incidentally, the youtube vid posted last wk that showed the beaudry tower & Mitsui apt devlpt rising across the street from it, along with 7th at Fig & the bloc, was filmed on...& even has weather conditions too:

Quote:
Recording Date: July 26. 2022(TUESDAY)
Recording Time: Around 01:30 PM
Weather: 78°F, 25°C🌡|☀️Sunny
https://youtu.be/8xY6dva36bY

There was the other vid that showed a guest at the Marriott residence inn on olympic blvd looking out his window at the parking lots & small worn out bldgs to the hotel's east, towards Fig st. He mentioned how unattractive things were. That made me think of how at any moment in dtla's timeline, I've taken the good with the bad. No place is perfect...every city has both negative & positive features. however, the respected cities of the world do have more positive traits than negative ones.

LA over 80 yrs ago had a huge electric trolley network....the largest or one of the largest in the world...& dtla had busy sidewalks, at least along Broadway & maybe Spring & 7th Sts too. As for today? LA is now having to rebuild its transit system, including a subway down Wilshire, but dt in 2022 has more better income ppl living in it than it did over 80 yrs ago.

I think LA...dtla...in key ways is better today than it was at the start of the 20th century...or certainly in the past 60 yrs. However, yep, its crime rate, homelessness, grafitti & traffic congestion in 2022 are much worse than in the past. The drought in 2022 is also quite bad too, which is why the DWP's moat & fountains are dry. I accept the bad with the good.

DT hasn't had a busy sidewalk culture in decades...outside of the swapmeet shoppers of broadway during the 1970s, 80s-90s. I don't mind that as long as city hall keeps things safe & clean. Same idea applies to the MTA's rail & bus system too. If LA city govnt & the transit agency, however, fall short in doing that, they're going to hurt the city...& make dtla weaker. I won't appreciate that one bit.

Look at the dt resident who said in the dtla town sq facebook page last wk that he has written to LA city officials to get them to replace over 20 dead trees...or empty planter wells...in his own part of the hood, but to no avail. Again, I don't mind if the sidewalks of dtla are quiet or busy, but keep them safe & clean. Also: landowners & devlprs need to keep getting rid of deadzone parking lots, like the ones around the Residence inn & Fig hotel, graffitied over swapmeet storefronts & rundown bldgs. I don't think that's too much to ask or hope for.

Video Link

^ I prefer dt in general today than the way it was over 30 yrs ago. It has been a long time in coming, but better late than never. Not a second too soon too because many cities throughout the US & world are all upping their game & raising standards: https://youtu.be/8m97cwiuZFQ?t=227

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 5:15 PM
SUSPENDED

Things like this in the past were limited mainly to the western sections of LA...

Quote:

tophotel.news

Located in the Giannini Building, the former Bank of Italy home originally built in 1922, the new Hotel Per La has now soft opened, with full completion scheduled for September 2022. A member of independent hotel portfolio Preferred Hotels & Resorts, the 12-storey building features 241 signature guestrooms, and a variety of public spaces, including 10,000 sq ft of versatile event space, the debut of a new rooftop bar and pool space overlooking the LA skyline, and a new ground-floor café and restaurant launching in time for the grand opening.

traditionally, dtla has needed the westside more than the westside has needed dt. But I recall over 20 yrs ago reading comments from someone living in Bev Hills who visited dtla & seemed impressed by the number of old beaux arts bldgs still existing in sections of it....& that was before most of them had been renovated & reactivated...definitely before the tower theater had become an apple store. In turn, Rodeo dr is reportedly the 4th most visited tourist site in the LA area, so ppl staying at hotels in dtla do need an easier way to get to West LA. But, again, the mta & LA city govnt better keep the transit system safe & clean or else it will end up a dud.

btw, although luxury shopping streets do exist in most cities of the world...such as Bond St in london....something about the one in Bev Hills appears to be more concentrated & palm tree friendly.

https://youtu.be/pSqze19lXnw

It remains an actual street too, not just a ped mall or alleyway...or more like what's in the UK....with the kinetic energy of cars driving down it. So dtla does need to take advantage of that....which is why the subway down wilshire isn't coming a second too soon. Students at UCLA also need an easier way to get from westwood to dtla & back again...but that occurs a few yrs after the station near rodeo dr is completed. Henry Waxman's ban on subways in the 1980s sure did slow down the pace.

urbanize.la

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 9:29 PM

Frank Gehry’s New 45-Story Luxury Apartment Complex Opens in Downtown LA

The Grand by Gehry is a 45-story tower overlooking Downtown Los Angeles and beyond with 436 bespoke residences.

Emma Reynolds
Robb Report
August 1, 2022

Prolific architect Frank Gehry is known for creating iconic cultural landmarks, from the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao to the Louis Vuitton Foundation in Paris, and beyond. The California-based architect’s latest project, however, is a bit closer to home.

The Grand by Gehry, developed by Related Companies, is a 45-story luxury apartment complex in Downtown Los Angeles and leasing just launched for the new building. There will be 436 bespoke residences ranging from spacious studios to three bedrooms overlooking Downtown Los Angeles and beyond. It’s located within The Grand LA, Downtown Los Angeles’ newest dynamic lifestyle and entertainment destination, which will also feature retail, dining, hotels, and more.

“I am so proud of this building,” Gehry says. “From the start, our mission was to create a project that had a human scale to it and one that was a good neighbor to the buildings around it. And miraculously, I think we pulled it off. We did this in collaboration and partnership with our clients Related, who cared as much as we did about creating excellent urban space for Downtown Los Angeles.”

With so many new openings in Downtown LA, the tower brings a new level of luxury living to the area. Each residence features gourmet open kitchens with custom oak-style cabinetry; state-of-the-art appliances; luxe bathrooms with travertine countertops; wide-plank flooring throughout; washers and dryers; and dimmable light switches. The interiors, curated by Ingrao Inc., have a warm, neutral color palette with rich materials and plenty of natural light. There are also floor-to-ceiling windows in each apartment.

“We wanted to infuse our designs with a California aesthetic sensibility,” said Tony Ingrao of Ingrao Inc. “We’ve done a lot of work with Related, and they’re always pushing the envelope and trying to make it bigger than it’s ever been where they’re developing.”

In addition to the residences, there is 22,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor amenities, including an attended lobby with a 24/7 valet; concierge; outdoor pool and terrace; 2,400-square-foot fitness center and yoga studio; entertaining suite; co-working space; and pet amenities. The tower also overlooks the Walt Disney Concert Hall, which was also designed by Gehry. The community spaces were designed by David Rockwell and Rockwell Group.

“The Grand by Gehry is the latest milestone in DTLA’s cultural renaissance that began with the city’s great arts and entertainment venues and now is one of the city’s premiere places to live,” says Phoebe Yee, executive vice president of design. “Nowhere else in Los Angeles combines the work of master architects and designers, with rarified service, extensive amenities, and proximity to such a vibrant cultural, culinary and fashion driven neighborhood—it’s redefining downtown living.”

Leasing just launched and move-ins will begin this summer. Studios start from $2,750; one bedrooms from $3,875; two bedrooms from $5,600; and three bedrooms from $9,500. There is also a penthouse collection with pricing available upon request.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 9:32 PM

And, from LA Reddit, and awesome downtown panorama featuring the new bridge, cranes in the Arts District, and the growing skyline:

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 10:02 PM
SUSPENDED

^ I still can't figure out why Frank Gehry has designed steel awnings without glass or any rooftop on them...are they supposed to be eventually covered with fabric awnings?...which I doubt. I hope I'm wrong, but they appear to be a design feature.

https://youtu.be/iFoftMsd1Gg?t=323

Quote:
Los Angeles Enjoys Its New Bridge a Little Too Much

LOS ANGELES — Less than three weeks ago, with fireworks, crowds and the civic joy that only a new Instagram backdrop can muster, America’s second-largest city christened a stunning new $588 million landmark: a bridge that would create a “ribbon of light” between the downtown arts district and the historic bungalows of East Los Angeles. With its 10 sets of white, lit arches, the glistening Sixth Street Viaduct — as it is formally known — replaced an 83-year-old Art Deco bridge over the concrete Los Angeles River that for generations had been a renowned Hollywood location for film noir car chases and dystopian hellscapes. Critics declared it an instant icon. Mayor Eric Garcetti, who narrated a tongue-in-cheek slow jam in the bridge’s honor when construction started, called it “a love letter” to the city.

Now Los Angeles is loving it back. There is so much love, in fact, that the city is considering installing speed bumps, a concrete median and climbing deterrents after Los Angeles police shut down the bridge last weekend for three nights in a row and closed it again on Tuesday night. In the weeks since the bridge first opened, it has been besieged by Angelenos yearning to connect with it, use it and own it. First graffiti artists marked it. Then skateboarders and climbers took on the arches. Within a week, exhibitionist drivers were burning rubber, doing doughnuts, targeting the bridge for illegal street takeovers and crashing. In less than 10 days, the bridge’s pristine lanes were covered with black skid marks.

“Look, unlike the Brooklyn Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge, this is the first major bridge to be built in the social media era,” said Councilman Kevin de León, a veteran Los Angeles lawmaker and recent mayoral candidate whose district includes both the bridge and the communities that bookend it. “Folks are trying to get their virtual fame and go viral."

In Boyle Heights, Michael Avilez, 16, said that the bridge’s troubles had left him with a familiar feeling — that this was why his community couldn’t have nice things. “We can’t,” he emphasized. “I don’t know why people do things like that.”

Manning the cash register of a Boyle Heights 7-Eleven, Darcy Gomez acknowledged that the area around her storefront was now regularly flooded with outsiders — and, now, officers to police them. Still, she said, when she drove the bridge for the first time this month, she was stunned and even calmed by its sun-drenched beauty. “If you put your windows down, it’s really pretty and relaxing,” Ms. Gomez said. “I wish we took much more care of it.”

Video Link

^ graffiti on neighboring properties at the start of walking over the bridge isn't too bad....although the city...the dwp....from over 80 yrs ago has to take blame for creating its own eyesores in LA.

The 6th st bridge's indirect & archway lighting are what makes it different. I hope they're properly maintained through the yrs....lighting of bldgs & landmarks is generally the first thing to fall apart...& that's assuming vandals don't make things worse by screwing around with the LED fixtures. Look at the small lights embedded in the railing of the spiral ramps...nice touch, Michael Maltzan, but over the long run they run the risk of being way less likely to be well maintained. Due to upkeep costs, they're probably going to end up form over function. So the ppl of LA had better demand city govnt keep things running safe & clean...& well maintained. Good luck with that.

https://youtu.be/ZWNq2Lp0PDA?t=1970

again, it's the flood lights that make the viaduct rate above what it otherwise would have. It's to the bridge what the moat & fountains...now dry...have been to the dwp bldg at 1st & Hope St. I notice there are flood lights on the uprights at the base of the bridge too. I wonder who or what controls the floodlights & their color at night?....whether changing colors or not, the bridge's lights give it an extra edge at night.

Bike riders out enjoying the bridge are nice...& a noted pro-LAer youtuber influencer is good too:

https://youtu.be/fHVsl74d9Pc?t=157

This other social media influencer and his birds are also nice:

https://youtu.be/hSdMwz2SEeo?t=68

Last edited by citywatch; Aug 1, 2022 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 5:46 PM

Lightbulb

https://la.urbanize.city/post/plan-5...s-step-forward

The BLOCs tower seems to still be moving through the entitlement process. Not my fave but at least our favorite parking garage will be put to more use. Beggers can't be choosers but with a massive roof like that garage, I'd be happy if they decided to add a smaller tower in the opposite corner. Won't happen but hey.

It's funny how the WG get accused of cheating. This tower is adding a whopping 12 floors of already built parking garage to its overall height haha. "it's going to be a 53-story building" .... Noooooo its going to be a 41 story.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 6:31 PM
SUSPENDED

^ That location to me isn't as important as other parts of dt are. Properties like the parking lots and small rundown bldgs of dtla need to be cleaned up ASAP:

https://youtu.be/5XRtuwlKuwI?t=965

The city's dwp, among various govt agencies & property owners, hasn't even helped fix up the area around 9th St & the marriot courtyard hotel:

https://youtu.be/_u7Rg-cSNa8?t=539

In the meantime, this proj has been sitting unfinished for the past 3 yrs, collecting dust & rust:

https://youtu.be/f7JAmHiy4OE?t=678

The rooftop of the bloc's garage...the former macy's plaza, former broadway plaza....ranks somewhat low on the dtla priority list. But if the devlpr does bring out construction cranes over the next yr or two, that will be fine. but it won't fill in the biggest gaps.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations