HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 12:51 AM
SUSPENDED

1,200 sf of tagging per day....which I guess could be a lot more. There's a major city on the east coast & I'd swear it must see 200,000,000 sf of new graffiti per day....& ppl there don't seem to mind it

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 2:00 AM

Ironically, everyone could have legally climbed to the top of the arches with the original proposal.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 2:20 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Ironically, everyone could have legally climbed to the top of the arches with the original proposal.
The concrete doesn’t seem particularly slick either and the slope is relatively gentle which makes it easy to walk up and down. Someone said it wouldn’t have been ADA compliant but wouldn’t they just be able to use the current pedestrian walkway? I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s videos of folks skateboarding down the arches at some point.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The concrete doesn’t seem particularly slick either and the slope is relatively gentle which makes it easy to walk up and down. Someone said it wouldn’t have been ADA compliant but wouldn’t they just be able to use the current pedestrian walkway? I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s videos of folks skateboarding down the arches at some point.
I don't believe anyone would have put up a legal fight for ADA compliance. An elevator to the top of the arches? That seems petty. But LA is in that mindset that projects have got to check off every single box on a list of compliance for everything under the sun.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:44 AM
SUSPENDED

yes, I realize this forum is about new devlpt in dtla, but that devlpt....hightrise or otherwise....is very much affected by ppl's ease in getting there. I've long been interested in how when the entire LA basin was much smaller, ppl were still setting up their residence...& businesses too...in hoods far removed from dt. So dtla wasn't hurt by fwys or burbanization of the 1950s, 1960s, but well before then.

However, broadway did remain a retail & entertainment hub of the basin through the 1950s, but that was easily pushed aside by other areas in LA. Again, ppl were choosing to not be in central LA going back over 90 yrs. Wealthier residents started moving out of bunker hill as early as the 1920s.

This vid on trends in LA transit going back to the red car, posted yesterday, is interesting....

https://youtu.be/ZewK0lOC9T4

I recall a person telling me over 20 yrs ago that if dtla had been built along the coast, in a place like Samo or venice, it would have remained competitive. But she failed to note that inland areas like pasadena....even further from the Pacific than dtla is....& with worst smog too....have generally done well over the past 90 yrs. Or didn't decline as much as dtla did.

The lesson in all this? That if landowners, devlprs, residents & LA city hall over 70 yrs ago had the cultural, economic, technical & logistical ability....& interest too....in creating a nicer looking environment, dtla today would be in better condition. Improving it would be easier. Although the oceanwide proj on Fig is a symptom of problems in China more than it is of problems in dtla.

however, I do admit that the revival of the long gritty arts dist runs counter to my theory. But if the west side of dt were in very bad shape, I bet the east side in 2022 would still be the way it was over 30 yrs ago.

I want dtla cleaned & fixed up enough, that this qualified referral of it today won't be quite so qualified in the future ....

https://youtu.be/a9MPVxlhy_c?t=339

Last edited by citywatch; Jul 29, 2022 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 3:54 PM

Moxy sign up on the new hotel

Couldn't take a pic (was driving), but there is a brand new name up in the Los Angeles skyline.

While I'm not always the biggest fan of brands at the top of skyscrapers (Chase [paying to be on the top of Circa is just tacky) the new bright pink Moxy sign in a nice script on the top of the new skyscraper hotel looks classy and is a great addition to the skyline imo.

Adds a good modern touch.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:13 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
That personally would be a hard pass for me.

There's no reason for it to be closed to traffic. There's no point of interests on either side to justify it being pedestrian only. One side is warehouses, the other side is a freeway, laundromat, Wingstop and 7-11. I understand that LA lacks parks but a concrete viaduct isn't the answer. We're already complaining about Pershing Park, but at least it has trees and grass lol.

Like others said. As of now it's a new shiny toy for LA, its popularity amongst locals will dwindle quickly and it's not packed full of pedestrians now as it is, the only time it saw lots of pedestrians is when it

1. First opened and

2. Street takeovers

other than that, you'll see a dozen people walking along it at any given time. It barely sees heavy car traffic. So, closing it to pedestrians is a waste of 580 billion dollars. If anything, all that will do is increase the amount of graffiti and vandalism we see along the bridge and what will be an empty road deck. Maybe once the arts district/downtown densifies some more (a few hundred thousand worth of people in about 20-30 years if we're lucky), MAYBE that scenario can be revisited then, maybe turn it into a future LRT line/pedestrian bridge combo or something. But as of now, it'll just turn into a very underutilized bridge that would have people scratching their heads.

Imagine the political ads

"580 billion wasted by corrupt government spending on a bridge to nowhere by the leftist".

California already gets SHI* on by certain news networks for some of its ridiculous policies, let's not give them more ammo just because turning a bridge into a park would make us feel warm and fuzzy on the inside lol.
I think the bridge was $588 million, not billion.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:09 PM

^^^ I meant Million HAHA. For 588 Billion I'd expect every metro rail dream for LA, a new downtown, a new LAX and every street in LA county repaved.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 29, 2022 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:27 PM

We have cranes in the arts district at Carmels spot.

The Pit is getting deeper for Onni's new tower

The crown is coming along nicely

At Mateo, across from Carmel in the arts district, has such a great street presence. Want more of this in LA... love the brickwork and metal look

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:32 PM

Great pics!!!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:40 PM
你的媽媽

Thanks for the update, hughfb3! We need more pics, less YouTube vids.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 6:01 PM

Metro Regional Connector 95% complete with target service in Fall 2022

https://twitter.com/numble/status/1552813834309472256

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 6:04 PM

520 Mateo couldn't come at a better time. It's view from 6th street bridge is going to be stunning. And it's walking distance from it too.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
The crown is coming along nicely

Thanks for posting, and I agree that it's coming along nicely.

Quote:
At Mateo, across from Carmel in the arts district, has such a great street presence. Want more of this in LA... love the brickwork and metal look

Agreed--that is a great ground-level experience, and brick is a nice change from the usual materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Thanks for the update, hughfb3! We need more pics, less YouTube vids.
Yep!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Metro Regional Connector 95% complete with target service in Fall 2022

https://twitter.com/numble/status/1552813834309472256
I've always been confused with the regional connector. The idea of merging 3 separate light rail lines always had me scratching my head.

Basically the blue line(A) is taking over the gold lines track to APU, and the expo(E) is taking over the remainder of the former gold tracks that go to Atlantic, effectively killing the L line, do i have that right?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 1:01 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
I've always been confused with the regional connector. The idea of merging 3 separate light rail lines always had me scratching my head.

Basically the blue line(A) is taking over the gold lines track to APU, and the expo(E) is taking over the remainder of the former gold tracks that go to Atlantic, effectively killing the L line, do i have that right?
It's essentially connecting the Blue and Expo Lines to Union Station and Gold Line. Once it's finished, the Blue (A) line will run from Citrus College to Long Beach and the Expo (E) will be from Santa Monica to East LA. Basically consolidating 4 lines to 2 and adding a couple stops downtown.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 1:06 AM

Quote:

Yes. The A (Blue) and E (Expo) lines will no longer dead end at 7th St./Metro Center. They will continue under downtown, with the A line running between Long Beach and Montclair, and the E line running between Santa Monica and East LA. I think the new E line will be colored gold, but in any case, there won't be an "L" line anymore.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 2:42 AM

Quote:

Correct. Just think of it as building stations downtown that enable one East-west line and one north-south line. Expo’s teal blue color should disappear. Gold E line and Blue A line remain.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 4:55 AM

On another note, there will be an L line (BRT) running from North Hollywood to Pasadena if that comes to fruition.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 5:47 AM
SUSPENDED

Ahh, something about vids of dtla, of things like both the beaudry tower & the mitsui apt proj across the street, give a more 'you are there' effect. The large led screens of the circa apt towers & new neighboring moxy hotel? Definitely get a better sense of their impact on the lower part of fig from a vid.

However, pics of the onni proj at Hill & olympic are pretty much all that's out there right now since youtubers tend not to do a lot of walking vids of that section of dt.

https://youtu.be/4pojMUs00As?t=48

^ I don't know why no one so far has done a walking tour of the grand LA proj. even more so since I don't believe it's totally closed to the public. Youtubers like the person above recently did show the related proj but as viewed from across the street, at disney hall, but another youtuber several days ago did walk around the perimeter. But that's about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations