HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I remember watching a presentation on this master plan a year or 2 ago. They specifically mentioned the need to eliminate left hand turns where ever possible as the average left adds a minute and a half to a route. This route at this junction alone has 2 unnecessary lefts that Columbia. Why not just stay on scurfield and save 3 minutes to the route?
Wouldn't those be left hand turns at three or four way stops which wouldn't cause any delays?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Isn't there a school on Columbia this is servicing?
There is an elementary school at the corner of columbia and scurfield, either road could service this school. Though I don't imagine a lot of families in that area utilize the bus for young children.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Wouldn't those be left hand turns at three or four way stops which wouldn't cause any delays?
From what I remember it was the average time of left turns. So turning left at a high traffic intersection would be greater then 1:30mins and low traffic less than 1:30mins. Either way remove all unnecessary left turns. During peek child drop off/pick up at the nearby school, delays would increase and cause delays down the line for no good reason.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:44 PM

It looks like the whole DMIS system is down...

Quote:
"Server Error in '/dmis' Application.
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine."

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I remember watching a presentation on this master plan a year or 2 ago. They specifically mentioned the need to eliminate left hand turns where ever possible as the average left adds a minute and a half to a route. This route at this junction alone has 2 unnecessary lefts that Columbia. Why not just stay on scurfield and save 3 minutes to the route?
I think the issue with left hand turns is when you have to wait for a break in traffic to cross. Increased delays, increased unpredictability in when you might get a break, and higher safety risks. The left hand turns in that Whyte Ridge route are all stop-controlled which would mean your delays are roughly the same whether you go straight or turn.Taking that Columbia loop services a bunch more houses as a result.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I think the issue with left hand turns is when you have to wait for a break in traffic to cross. Increased delays, increased unpredictability in when you might get a break, and higher safety risks. The left hand turns in that Whyte Ridge route are all stop-controlled which would mean your delays are roughly the same whether you go straight or turn.Taking that Columbia loop services a bunch more houses as a result.
I didn't realize it was a stop controlled intersection from the google maps view I saw.

I don't think I agree that it services more houses as it will no longer service the north side of Whyte Ridge. It just makes it very convenient for people living in south WR and not so convenient for people in north WR. If it went straight down Scurfield it would be mildly convenient for everyone in WR.

I imagine some of the decision may be around safety for children. Going down Columbia means the school is on the right rather then the left if you go down Scurfield. This reduces the need to cross the street to catch the bus.

Either way, I guess I'm overthinking it and its impact will be minor.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post

Winnipeg transit finally will service Fort Whyte Alive, beginning September, at the new Buffalo crossing nature Centre on McGillivary near Brady road. They are rerouting the current Whyte Ridge transit route to link it to the Fort Whyte Alive.
You didn't include the route but looks like it's the 691 which provides weekday rush hour service only. Route 650 would still be servicing the north part of Scurfield.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:43 PM

Despite the headline, and handwringing from some Wolseley residents, public works voted to move the new route map along (with "additional consultation"?): https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...rtake-greenway

I also really don't understand the concerns here, there is already a bus (#10) that goes down Wolseley, the new route will actually go down less of it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:01 PM
the first stamp is free

Wolesely already screwed up the pre-existing bus system in the area by routing the #10 from Westminster (the actual "commercial" strip in the area) to Wolseley, and routing the bike path down Westminster. I think the goal was to calm thru-traffic on Westminster - but really, that bike path should have just continued down Wolseley.

Now we have permanent 30kmph on Wolseley, with buses that are less conveniently located for locals. Bike path down Westminster that makes getting into and out of Wolseley a chore especially for us residents.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Wolesely already screwed up the pre-existing bus system in the area by routing the #10 from Westminster (the actual "commercial" strip in the area) to Wolseley, and routing the bike path down Westminster. I think the goal was to calm thru-traffic on Westminster - but really, that bike path should have just continued down Wolseley.

Now we have permanent 30kmph on Wolseley, with buses that are less conveniently located for locals. Bike path down Westminster that makes getting into and out of Wolseley a chore especially for us residents.
I don't live in Wolseley but that makes sense to me. Bike lanes should be on Wolseley Ave and the bouse route on Westminster Ave.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
What do you guys think of the route maps?
Looks like a disaster to me. I think this whole idea is wrong, I have not met one person who has benefited from the changes around the Blue line. Everyone just has to take more buses, and it takes more time, even those going to U of M. Why can they not say how much time the average rider will save? It is because the average rider will take longer to get where they are going. The main problem with transit is it doesn't go where you want when you want. The fact that stops slow it down is not a major reason to not take transit. But having to transfer to another route that isn't frequency is.

Anyone know what the plan is for Portage next year? They are not going to just dump all the buses there, are they? It's going to take an hour to get out of downtown at rush hour if they do.

And express service on Gateway, but not Henderson? Did they even looks at the ridership numbers? Gateway is low density/industrial, Henderson has high rises.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
Looks like a disaster to me. I think this whole idea is wrong, I have not met one person who has benefited from the changes around the Blue line. Everyone just has to take more buses, and it takes more time, even those going to U of M. Why can they not say how much time the average rider will save? It is because the average rider will take longer to get where they are going. The main problem with transit is it doesn't go where you want when you want. The fact that stops slow it down is not a major reason to not take transit. But having to transfer to another route that isn't frequency is.
I for one like using BLUE. Before, I would wait for the one bus that only comes every 30 mins, hope it isn’t randomly cancelled, isn’t full, or I don’t miss it, and then be on my way after sitting in traffic for another 30 mins. If I wanted to take the same route in the middle of the day, or on a weekend, well… I couldn’t.

Now I just wait for <5 mins for the BLUE. If I miss it, no biggie, another one is coming 5 mins later. In 20 mins, I’m out of the city centre and I get off and wait maybe 10 mins for the next bus, and 10 mins later, I’m home. The key here is consistency; I almost never have to look at a schedule. Sometimes it’s slower, sometimes it’s faster. But at least I can count on it whether it’s rush hour, late in the evening or on weekends.

I got so used to it, in fact, that once I had to take the bus from downtown to St. Vital instead, using the 58 “Express” route. I sat in traffic along Osborne for 40 mins and then remembered why people hate Winnipeg Transit so much.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 3:45 AM

I wonder once the new route network is introduced if there will be enough peak capacity to East/North Kildonan. I don't think a 10-minute headway on Henderson Hwy and a 5-minute headway on Gateway will be sufficient and will lead to frequent pass-ups south of Kimberly Ave.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 12:11 AM

I also question what they are thinking with the line on Henderson. Right now you can hop on a bus anywhere on Henderson and go right to portage and main and the hit the U of W, Polo Park and anything along Portage. I'm not sure a line taking people from one suburb to another (down pembina) is an improvement. Unless their idea is to make a route that connects to the U of M...but that would make the BLUE line redundant for these folks.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post
I also question what they are thinking with the line on Henderson. Right now you can hop on a bus anywhere on Henderson and go right to portage and main and the hit the U of W, Polo Park and anything along Portage. I'm not sure a line taking people from one suburb to another (down pembina) is an improvement. Unless their idea is to make a route that connects to the U of M...but that would make the BLUE line redundant for these folks.
Disagree, the U of M has too much ridership to rely solely on the blue line. Redundancy in this case could be beneficial so that people won’t be packed like sardines on their way to campus. It also passes through downtown via Donald so I’m for it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 10:47 AM

I've only taken the blue line once so I'll admit this may not be accurate...but it was empty aside from a few other traveller's. Does the BLUE line get packed like sardines as you say?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I've only taken the blue line once so I'll admit this may not be accurate...but it was empty aside from a few other traveller's. Does the BLUE line get packed like sardines as you say?
It does pretty frequently.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:49 PM

Quote:
yes it sure does, back when I used to live in St Norbert the BLUE Downtown line would get packed by about Markham or Plaza. Would pass most stops due to being at capacity. Pretty frustrating.

One time while I was doing a park and ride at Clarence station I got passed by 3 (three!) BLUE downtown's before I gave up and paid for parking downtown.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:47 PM
There is always a way

So it sounds like a frequency issue during peak hours, or potentially an issue with capacity of vehicles?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
So it sounds like a frequency issue during peak hours, or potentially an issue with capacity of vehicles?
I think the vehicles are a concern here. Far too many so gle buses going down the Blue line. It should be nothing but articulated buses for Blue service imo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan