HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 5:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Not to make the thread too morbid, but I do wonder might happen to any proposed stadium deal should JR pass away in the meantime

I mean, he's in his upper 80s now, he's not gonna live forever.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Not to make the thread too morbid, but I do wonder might happen to any proposed stadium deal should JR pass away in the meantime

I mean, he's in his upper 80s now, he's not gonna live forever.
He has three living children, Susan, Michael and Jonathan. Their son David passed in 2014.

I'd only imagine that having worked so closely with the Wirtz' that they have shown him a thing or two about passing ownership on to an heir(s). Probably already with that in mind motivation to get things moving was ripe. He can use his 'ways' to iron out a new stadium and hand over the reins before he kicks it. /conjecture

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 12:25 AM

If this gets built I will retire my username

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 1:25 AM

This was shared on the other thread for the White Sox Stadium, and includes some more renderings of the 78 development:

https://wgntv.com/sports/white-sox/f...ark-in-the-78/

However, this bit of news from the article raises some new questions:
Quote:
However, a Chicago developer familiar with the property and requesting anonymity told the Sun-Times the institute has been trying to get out of the deal and that there wouldn’t be enough room for both the institute and a new ballpark within The 78, anyway.
It would be a bummer given the institute was supposed to break ground either this year or next...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 1:43 AM
Urbane observer

The DPI having qualms was reported—then dismissed—about 10 days ago in Crain's.

Knowing something about TV news, I doubt this is an independent source.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 2:59 AM

Looks like the RID is now confirmed to be open trench throughout the site, rather than properly buried.

https://wgntv.com/sports/white-sox/f...ark-in-the-78/

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 3:28 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Looks like the park space would be smaller, but definitely worth it.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 3:48 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Looks like the RID is now confirmed to be open trench throughout the site, rather than properly buried.
So, IN THEORY, could a true slugger hammer the ball to deep right and potentially hit a rock island train down in that open trench?

That'd be something unique.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 3:59 AM
Urbane observer

AIUI, Metra told Related several years ago that they wouldn't allow anything that made their maintenance more difficult.

I'm more intrigued by what appears to be a grade separation of the St Charles Air Line going over the Metra tracks. I'll have to check the LIDAR elevation data, but I doubt that's possible.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Looks like the park space would be smaller, but definitely worth it.
Perhaps the ballparks green could be used as public open space when not activated as a stadium

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 1:21 PM

Sun-Times: Here’s what a new White Sox ballpark in the South Loop could look like

The rendering showing the view of the outfield with high rises beyond… it shows the Sears Tower very prominently, but doesn’t show 311 South Wacker. From that angle, wouldn’t that ugly tower block quite a lot of the view of the Sears Tower? It will still be visible above, but the rendering doesn’t even appear to show 311 S Wacker (ugly building so I prefer to imagine it isn’t there too).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 1:35 PM

New White Sox Stadium at The 78

Urbanize released a full set of new renderings from Related Midwest:
https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/r...sox-stadium-78

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 2:02 PM

This is the rendering I mentioned above. It shows the Sears Tower very prominently, without 311 S Wacker at all. Presumably it will block part of the Sears Tower which is unfortunate. It would be pretty cool to have the Sears Tower very prominently on display from the stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arCHItecture_ View Post
Urbanize released a full set of new renderings from Related Midwest:
https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/r...sox-stadium-78

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 3:25 PM

Not sure why they omitted 311 there because you still see Sears pretty clearly from 78, so it will still be a cool view, especially at night with the crown lit up.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 4:07 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Not sure why they omitted 311 there because you still see Sears pretty clearly from 78, so it will still be a cool view, especially at night with the crown lit up.
Surprisingly they don't put too much thought into these renderings sometimes.

Is this project a vision? Would be awesome to see something like this actually get built.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 4:20 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
It's behind it

I can confirm that large arch firms farm out massive rendering projects such as this, to third-party companies that are typically in asia or even south america. A lot of these render farms (essentially) do incredible work and have very dedicated and talented artists who create the final pieces. That doesn't mean that work comes out exactly as the existing buildings in a given city actually appear.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Sun-Times: Here’s what a new White Sox ballpark in the South Loop could look like

The rendering showing the view of the outfield with high rises beyond… it shows the Sears Tower very prominently, but doesn’t show 311 South Wacker. From that angle, wouldn’t that ugly tower block quite a lot of the view of the Sears Tower? It will still be visible above, but the rendering doesn’t even appear to show 311 S Wacker (ugly building so I prefer to imagine it isn’t there too).
An important part of this is not being mentioned from your link

New details have emerged of the plan for a new South Loop stadium, as well as what the team’s current Bridgeport home, Guaranteed Rate Field, would look like if converted to a soccer stadium.

Edit: it's covered in the other link on the US Comiskular Rate Field park thread.

But I am concerned if the sox move will it affect this?

A rendering shows the view from the Chicago River of the new Discovery Partners Institute building planned at The 78. It is unclear how the possibility of a new ballpark being built on the same site would affect the institute.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...west-reinsdorf

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:10 PM
Urbane observer

Home of YOUR Chicacago White Sox!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:22 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
It's behind it

I can confirm that large arch firms farm out massive rendering projects such as this, to third-party companies that are typically in asia or even south america. A lot of these render farms (essentially) do incredible work and have very dedicated and talented artists who create the final pieces. That doesn't mean that work comes out exactly as the existing buildings in a given city actually appear.

I thought that was the AT&T building for a second but you're right, I think it is supposed to be 311 (in the wrong place) due to the top.

It's amazing how people can f*ck up a rendering of a city where you can just find a picture and get it right. I guess they know your average person won't notice or care.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:27 PM

They should revise the 78 observation tower proposal. Would be sick to have this and the Sox stadium next to each other

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development