HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 12:11 AM

Texas soliciting proposals for south end zone renovations at Darrell K Royal-Texas Me

Wescott Eberts--SBN

More than four years after the Texas Longhorns began to study the feasibility of renovating the south end zone of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, the school moved forward this week with plans that will result in completed construction by the beginning of the 2021 football season.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/20...ne-renovations

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 3:52 PM

Precourt, MLS file for dismissal of ‘Art Modell Law’ suit:
https://www.statesman.com/sports/pro...cBpprSbgy0P1L/

Quote:
The owners of Major League Soccer team Columbus Crew SC are fighting a lawsuit aimed at keeping the team from potentially relocating to Austin. The motion to dismiss the lawsuit claims that Ohio Revised Code 9.67 does not apply to the Crew and is unconstitutional. The "Art Modell Law" was enacted in 1996 after then-Cleveland Browns owner Art Modell relocated his franchise to Baltimore.
I know that there are doubters still, but with this, there shouldn't be much doubt that Precourt has little intent to stay in Columbus. I can't see them fighting this lawsuit if Austin was just being used as a pawn.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Precourt, MLS file for dismissal of ‘Art Modell Law’ suit:
https://www.statesman.com/sports/pro...cBpprSbgy0P1L/

I know that there are doubters still, but with this, there shouldn't be much doubt that Precourt has little intent to stay in Columbus. I can't see them fighting this lawsuit if Austin was just being used as a pawn.
If the owner was so ready to ditch his loyal fan base like that, I don’t want him or his team in Austin.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
If the owner was so ready to ditch his loyal fan base like that, I don’t want him or his team in Austin.
Loyal fan base?

They're 20 out of 22 in attendance.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:24 PM
クラブトクヨ

I have a friend in Columbus and she said the fan base was weak. She’s not surprised they want to leave.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I have a friend in Columbus and she said the fan base was weak. She’s not surprised they want to leave.
Apologies, I seem to have been brainwashed by the media coverage of this event. It still gives me worry that he could do the same to us. I would assume our fan base would be much larger though. I would much rather have a team created to play in Austin rather than a team that moved to Austin. The Columbus fan base (however small it is, I don’t know) probably doesn’t think to well of us.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Apologies, I seem to have been brainwashed by the media coverage of this event. It still gives me worry that he could do the same to us. I would assume our fan base would be much larger though. I would much rather have a team created to play in Austin rather than a team that moved to Austin. The Columbus fan base (however small it is, I don’t know) probably doesn’t think to well of us.
So many people (without all of the facts or knowledge) want to make this deal seem nefarious and vilify them for the perceived slight to their fans. The reality is that none of us really know all of the underlying details.

One thing we all do know is that they are a business. Businesses exist to make a profit. If the projected numbers don't make sense, they should move. They can't be loyal to whatever fan base if it's detrimental to themselves.

If they end up having the same issue in Austin (which I doubt they will), I wouldn't blame them for moving. In the end, Austin would end up with a nice soccer stadium that it didn't have to pay for.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the guy bought the team not long ago. It is not like he has been around the whole time, this seems like it was always his intention...which is why he bought the team.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:18 PM

The Rockets, Spurs, Rangers, Dynamo, Express (AA and AAA) and Stars all originated in other cities and moved to their final destinations. It happens and doesn’t make the team any less special.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 8:13 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Edit: I'm leaving my personal feelings towards Columbus out of it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 9:20 PM

The MLS toured possible stadium sites in Columbus with prospective local investors. I think Columbus has a lot of people who are interested in becoming minority investors but it's not clear if they have someone who has the money and wants to be the principal investor.

Relocation in MLS is weird anyway because all the teams are league owned unlike the other major sports. PSV is just the operator so I'm not sure how much power they have or if they can be forced out if the MLS doesn't like the financing deal in Austin.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 12:58 AM

This MLS thing is done. All the rest is noise. I know stuff, so you have to believe me.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
This MLS thing is done. All the rest is noise. I know stuff, so you have to believe me.
It's done that the team will be in Austin next season, or it's done as in it's not going to happen?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:59 PM
Member since 2001

Here's something to chew on...PSV bought the operating rights for the Crew in 2013 for a then MLS record of $68 million from Clark Hunt (son of Lamar Hunt).

Clark was a founding investor in the MLS and operated the Crew from the inception of the MLS through PSV's purchase in 2013. Hunt is a Dallas billionaire who is co-owner, chairman & CEO of the Kansas City Chiefs. One of his companies, Hunt Sports Group, currently is the owner/operator of MLS club FC Dallas. He also helped his father found and run the MLS' KC Wizards up until they sold it in 2003. Hunt remains a member on the Board of Governors of the MLS.

Furthermore, there was (is) a clause in PSV's purchase agreement from Hunt (and with the MLS) which would allow the Crew to relocate ONLY to Austin - should they decide there was a need/desire to move from Columbus.

There is a MLS and Texas connection to all of this. And, yes, it seems that those who run MLS have a rather large desire to have a team established in Austin.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
I would buy this if you knew of a private land deal they've made that somehow already has necessary zoning to build a stadium. Otherwise, there is no done deal with this council. We also don't know what the staff report is going to find and how much in infrastructure improvements are required. The transit requirements for Brandywine I think were about 10 million in road improvements. I could see this easily beating that especially if (as it should) include improvements to 183 and Burnet. That's not even considering the cost of the new rail station.

There are 2 places I think we could see a hangup:
1) infrastructure improvement costs are extreme AND PSV can't pay them all. The PSV local rep made a comment trying to qualify how much they would cover of the infrastructure costs. There was definitely something about ensuring they are reasonable in their eyes.
2) Practice fields. This is a literal huge deal as it requires a lot more land than the stadium and it doesn't seem like there is going to be support at putting it on park land in COA. It's possible (and probably a good idea) to approach Cedar Park about securing land on the Red Line.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The transit requirements for Brandywine I think were about 10 million in road improvements. I could see this easily beating that especially if (as it should) include improvements to 183 and Burnet.
It won't even be close.

The Broadmore TIA started with 38k _daily_ trips (adjusted down to 28k based on transit and such). 260 weekdays per year.

A stadium that seats ~20k will generate, at a guess, 15k - 20k trips total (arriving and leaving but counting multiple people per car). For 17 home games. Maybe a bit more for possible playoffs, exhibition and special events.

The cumulative traffic impact for the stadium is 10-20X _less_ than Broadmoor. And the developer's share for Brandywine was only 2M, not 10.

http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...180412-reg.htm

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 9:14 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I would buy this if you knew of a private land deal they've made that somehow already has necessary zoning to build a stadium. Otherwise, there is no done deal with this council. We also don't know what the staff report is going to find and how much in infrastructure improvements are required. The transit requirements for Brandywine I think were about 10 million in road improvements. I could see this easily beating that especially if (as it should) include improvements to 183 and Burnet. That's not even considering the cost of the new rail station.

There are 2 places I think we could see a hangup:
1) infrastructure improvement costs are extreme AND PSV can't pay them all. The PSV local rep made a comment trying to qualify how much they would cover of the infrastructure costs. There was definitely something about ensuring they are reasonable in their eyes.
2) Practice fields. This is a literal huge deal as it requires a lot more land than the stadium and it doesn't seem like there is going to be support at putting it on park land in COA. It's possible (and probably a good idea) to approach Cedar Park about securing land on the Red Line.
I'm sure the Robinson family would allow practice fields on their land along the red line and TX-45 by McNeil station.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I'm sure the Robinson family would allow practice fields on their land along the red line and TX-45 by McNeil station.
Very smart. I actually think that's something the Robinson's would carve off a hunk of acreage for. God knows they have enough of it up there.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
It won't even be close.

The Broadmore TIA started with 38k _daily_ trips (adjusted down to 28k based on transit and such). 260 weekdays per year.

A stadium that seats ~20k will generate, at a guess, 15k - 20k trips total (arriving and leaving but counting multiple people per car). For 17 home games. Maybe a bit more for possible playoffs, exhibition and special events.

The cumulative traffic impact for the stadium is 10-20X _less_ than Broadmoor. And the developer's share for Brandywine was only 2M, not 10.

http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...180412-reg.htm
Looked it up, it was 4.5 million worth of improvements that the report called for and a small portion of that is being paid by BW but council is going to push all surrounding infrastructure costs to the Crew. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 8:16 AM
Voice of the Modern World

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin