HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 1, 2013, 11:47 PM
BANNED

A buddy of mine told me he heard that Cactus Club is interesting in setting up shop in Winnipeg. I LOVE Cactus Club. For a chain restaurant I think it has good food.

Has anyone else heard about CC coming to Winnipeg? I would think that since Milestones is now coming, CC shouldn't be too far behind?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 2:54 PM

This applies equally to the likes of Rockford Grill, Brown's Socialhouse, Mr Mikes, Catus Club, Milestones, et all. These places can publicly express interest in coming to the Winnipeg market but the reality is most of them will only consider the most prime of locations. It goes without saying that most of those same prime locations already have tenants. This essentially leaves a limited number of new-build spaces, like the Alt Hotel which Milestones secured, or take-overs like the questionable location of the old Kelsey's by Polo Park.

As much as I would like to see the five chains listed here recently all having success in establishing a presence in the Winnipeg market the reality is even if there is enough money and interest to support them all there does not seem to be the real estate to pull it off.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 9:20 PM

So that means if they come to Winnipeg they will want to be in the Shed District and not build in the 'Burbs?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 9:24 PM

Talking about prime locations I wonder why nobody has ever taken over the old night club in the basement of the Delta next to City Place. They could turn it into a fairly nice restaurant and get business from arena events.

Or could there be some restriction from E&C to keep somebody else from going in the same building?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
So that means if they come to Winnipeg they will want to be in the Shed District and not build in the 'Burbs?
SHED, Polo Park, Kenaston, St Vital, Kildonan Place, roughly in that order, most new chains are unlikely to roll into town and setup their first point of presence in say the Garden City area. It is just how things go.

As for the basement locations, I think the SHED needs more momentum first. I think technically the space in the Delta basement is available for rent as meeting space. Both the Radison on Portage and 155 Carlton also have basement spaces that could potentially become restaurant conversions if demand ever gets to be high enough in the SHED but we are a long way from there. Coming online soon will be two locations in the Glass House, three at SoPo, likely two at the new Convention Centre hotel and whatever is coming in the Fortress development. Granted if demand gets strong enough Portage Place and City Place may look at doing space conversions along the lines of what is happening for the Shark Club, or further back what happened with Staples.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 12:42 AM
BANNED

I have no doubt in my mind that Portage Place is going to see a huge revitalization over the next decade due to the transformation of the downtown and proximity to the SHED, in an organic matter.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 4:01 PM

So, I was recently at the Earls on Pembina Highway, celebrating a successful defense of my PhD Dissertation, and managed to get a rumour out of the staff there about the next tenant. Apparently an outfit that features having '100 different beers' is looking at the site. I don't know if its a local operation, or a chain coming in from another province, but given the size of this location, I'm guessing a chain. Take it for what its worth. Hopefully they won't take their sweet time getting the place renovated (like the purported Harvey's on Stafford... shouldn't that be a go by now?).

Anyway, it sounds like the rent got jacked up due to the proximity to the new stadium, and since Earls has a location at St. Vital, they decided to let this location go.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 4:11 PM
the first stamp is free

^ congrats Dr. Mininari!

The new tenant with 100 different beers could be a variant of "Luxalune Gastropub"..? Their claim to fame is lots o beers. They are a small local place though. If not hopefully its a new player in town.

I kinda figured that Hooters will be looking for a new South Winnipeg location, and perhaps that may be a potential location for them too.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 4:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
So, I was recently at the Earls on Pembina Highway, celebrating a successful defense of my PhD Dissertation, and managed to get a rumour out of the staff there about the next tenant. Apparently an outfit that features having '100 different beers' is looking at the site. I don't know if its a local operation, or a chain coming in from another province, but given the size of this location, I'm guessing a chain. Take it for what its worth. Hopefully they won't take their sweet time getting the place renovated (like the purported Harvey's on Stafford... shouldn't that be a go by now?).

Anyway, it sounds like the rent got jacked up due to the proximity to the new stadium, and since Earls has a location at St. Vital, they decided to let this location go.
I have been to the Tap House Grill in Seattle, it reports to having over 160 beer on tap. Sounds like it will be a fun place if it something like that.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
So, I was recently at the Earls on Pembina Highway, celebrating a successful defense of my PhD Dissertation, and managed to get a rumour out of the staff there about the next tenant. Apparently an outfit that features having '100 different beers' is looking at the site.
Having spent some time in the the States this winter I ran into a chain matching this description that seems to be extremely popular anywhere they are located. The chain is Yard House and is operated by Darden Restaurants, owners of Red Lobster & Olive Garden. Clearly they have experience in the Winnipeg market. It does not seem that they are operating any locations in Canada yet though so that may be a barrier on that front. This is defintely a chain that would seem to have potentinal in the Winnipeg market when the timing & location are right though.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 6:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Having spent some time in the the States this winter I ran into a chain matching this description that seems to be extremely popular anywhere they are located. The chain is Yard House and is operated by Darden Restaurants, owners of Red Lobster & Olive Garden. Clearly they have experience in the Winnipeg market. It does not seem that they are operating any locations in Canada yet though so that may be a barrier on that front. This is defintely a chain that would seem to have potentinal in the Winnipeg market when the timing & location are right though.
...not trying to comment on every restaurant post in here, but i have been to the Yard House in Hallandale Beach (Miami) good beer and holy crap did i love their Mac n Cheese.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Was in PHX this past winter. Finally got to go to Yard House (my dad and cousin had been raving about it). I was not disappointed. More beer taps than I've ever seen and some pretty decent food. Apparently you have to get there 5 hours before a coyote's game (people go to those?). Anyway... I'd be excited if YH came here and can't think of a much better location near the new stadium.

P.S. 1st post!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 2:42 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no use for username View Post
Was in PHX this past winter. Finally got to go to Yard House (my dad and cousin had been raving about it). I was not disappointed. More beer taps than I've ever seen and some pretty decent food. Apparently you have to get there 5 hours before a coyote's game (people go to those?). Anyway... I'd be excited if YH came here and can't think of a much better location near the new stadium.

P.S. 1st post!
I would actually rather see a Craft Beer Market location in Winnipeg.

They are already in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton so Winnipeg seems like a logical next step for them.

http://www.craftbeermarket.ca/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 5:53 PM

The old Mother Tuckers, then Walby Hog House would be an amazing location for Hooters to re-locate too. The arena left the PP area a decade ago, the stadium is leaving now, why would they want to be in a strip mall next to Dollar Tree and Staples?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
The old Mother Tuckers, then Walby Hog House would be an amazing location for Hooters to re-locate too. The arena left the PP area a decade ago, the stadium is leaving now, why would they want to be in a strip mall next to Dollar Tree and Staples?
Very good points, but didn't they just relocate to that location a few years ago when the Ness Ave. Safeway was built on top of their old strip location?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
4 or 5 years back someone had started work and I believe gutted that building with plans to convert it to mixed use. Still nothing though. But given its proxamity to the arena you would htink its a matter of time

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 11:40 PM

Wolfrom engineering was going to go in there but backed out after the employes did not want to move from their offices in the Village.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...104843719.html

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 11:45 PM

Shark Club contractor was starting to peel off all the drywall hoarding on the 2nd floor of City Place today.

Monday at morning coffee there was a constant stream of food being delivered and chiefs and helpers having coffee in the food court, so I guess that the kitchen is getting ready to start testing their recipes before they open.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:57 PM

I believe someone mentioned Cafe 22 on Corydon expanding. If you hung out there as much as I did you'll be glad to here S&R Construction is on site with a tracked excavator and an Auger, going full bore.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 7:30 PM

had a trial run invite only lunch at shark club...wow! start saving for the next jets season people! you will see me there before every game!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan