HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
so when does the Air terminal move to the new building? post 2010?
That terminal annoys me because it means that I have to carry my bicycle up about 50 steps to the convention centre rather than ride up along the sloped promenades.

I live a block from Stanley Park and can ride from my place to work in about 9 minutes along the Coal Harbour seawall. It's wonderful--especially on days like today.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Sadly very little, just residual news now

At least Jlousa is still employed.
Thats too bad, although I wouldn't mind living in Toronto for awhile.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 2:27 AM

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 2:31 AM

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 2:52 AM

^ Great photos! Yours?
---------------------
I love the new chairs at the north end of the plaza... great place to watch the sun set over coal harbour. Looks like some more are coming in the north-east corner too.
Metro, was there really a hockey game on the plaza this week? That's amazing!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 3:36 AM

Yes, the photos are mine. Thank you.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
That terminal annoys me because it means that I have to carry my bicycle up about 50 steps to the convention centre rather than ride up along the sloped promenades.

I live a block from Stanley Park and can ride from my place to work in about 9 minutes along the Coal Harbour seawall. It's wonderful--especially on days like today.
you can use the elevator - i always do i ain't walking up

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 7:15 PM

Expansion project completion presser

The “Harbour Concourse”- Linking Both Convention Centre Buildings

Final phase of the Convention Centre expansion project, connects the West expansion building to the refurbished East building, uniting them into one seamless convention centre complex

Length: 90 metres

Situated one level below street level at Canada Place, and is accessible from the lobbies of the East and West buildings

Allows delegates and visitors to move freely undercover between both buildings

Total cost: $38.6 million, which is included in the overall Convention Centre expansion budget

Coast Salish Gallery
The Harbour Concourse is adorned with nine original works from British Columbia Coast Salish artists:
Joseph Wilson - “Successful Journey”
Susan Point - “Human Spirit”
Chris Paul – “Family Weave”
Luke Marston - “Double-Headed Serpent”
John Marston - “Nature Still Speaks”
Jody Broomfield - “The Legend of Siwash Rock and the Legend of the Twin Sisters”
Debra Sparrow - “Move and Flow”
Jane Marston - “Tulip’s Message and Snow Drop”
Stan Greene - “Human with Thunderbirds”
All of these pieces were commissioned under the Convention Centre’s Thematic Art Program.
For more information, see separate backgrounder attached or visit
www.vancouverconventioncentre.com/artproject

Vancouver Convention Centre East (Canada Place)

Originally built as Canada Pavilion at Expo 86, reopened as convention centre on July 4, 1987

Has served Vancouver and the Province for more than 22 years, hosting about 300 events annually

133,000 square feet (12,400 square metres) of flexible and functional meeting, exhibition, and ballroom space

Closed for refurbishment April 2009, reopened September 9, 2009

East building lobby features three totem poles from the original building that have been refurbished and moved to a new permanent location; and “Moon Journey” by artist Susan Point, a granite floor mosaic art piece measuring approximately nine metres in diameter

Total cost: $28 million, completed $2 million under budget; all costs contained within overall expansion project budget

Building Materials
Trespa Wall Panels - converted paper, durable, moisture resistant; ISO 14001
and ISO 9001 Certified

Acrovyn Doors - standard and FSC-certified particleboard options contain 41% pre-consumer recycled content and total 70% recycled content

Scuffmaster Paint complies with LEED standard

Maharam Textiles - made in North American facilities that are ISO 14001 Certified

Knoll Textiles fabric panels - 45% Post-Consumer recycled polyester, Greenguard certified and meets Air Quality Standard for Low-Emitting Products

Tandus Carpets - meets GreenLabel Plus Certification, 100% recyclable in a closed loop process, modular tile contains 30-50% overall recycled content

Environmental Features

Seeking LEED-EB certification for existing buildings by the Green Building Council

BC Hydro Power Smart and General Electric support for Energy Efficient Lighting initiatives

Lighting has been retrofitted with the latest lamp technology and controls, reducing electrical energy reduction by an estimated 691,000 KW hours annually

Greater control of heating and ventilation using Crestron technology
Energy and resource use monitored in real-time

Waste management

Recycling of as much waste as possible and adhering to the City of Vancouver’s zero waste practices

Existing materials that were demolished or had reached their end-of-life cycle were processed and recycled wherever possible

Employment and Contractors

300 local trades people have worked on the project since work began in April, including:

Interior Design:
MCM Interiors (Vancouver, BC) which was also involved in the planning for the West Expansion interiors

Construction Manager:
Unitech Construction Management (Tsawwassen, BC) with a 21 year history of Project and Construction Management services for major commercial and institutional projects throughout BC

Granite and tile installation:
Igor’s Construction (Port Coquitlam, BC) installed the granite floor throughout the facility, as well as the tile work in the washrooms

Formed metal products/architectural coatings:
Panelex/Primex Industries Inc. (Richmond, BC) completed all of the new pillar finishes and the entire metal band you see throughout the convention level

Steel studs, drywall, T- Bar ceiling:
Wescan Acoustics Ltd. (Burnaby, BC) provided steel studs and all drywall and acoustic ceilings

Other local contractors include:
Benchmark Architectural Millwork (Burnaby, BC), Houle Electric (Burnaby, BC),
Western Pacific Enterprises (Coquitlam BC), and M & L Painting (Coquitlam BC)

“East Meets West” - Vancouver Convention Centre is Now Connected and Complete

Total area of function space at Vancouver Convention Centre (East and West buildings combined) is approximately 500,000 square feet (46,450 square metres) and more than triples the space that was previously available
Flexible meeting, exhibition and ballroom space , with multiple configurations possible for custom event requirements

Both the East and West buildings each have their own state-of-the-art food preparation areas, forming one of the nation’s largest kitchen facilities, including a specialty pastry kitchen in the East building

First ever repeat winner of the International Association of Congress Centres (AIPC) award for ‘World’s Best Convention Centre’ (2002, 2008)

The Vancouver Convention Centre will host the International Media Centre during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 10:40 PM

Pile driving and Mexico

Vancouver Pile Driving has moored a couple of barges in front of the Convention Centre. It has piles on board and looks ready to rock and roll. I think we can expect pile driving to commence shortly on the new marine aerodrome and marina.

On Sunday Tourism Mexico hosted an event in the plaza. There were merchants and food vendors lining the square and a mariachi band and dancers on stage. It was great, though due to the slope of the site it was almost invisible from the street. I really hope the place lives up when the retail and restauants open up over the next year or two. I also hope the city is selective in how much attention it pays to noise complaints lodged by Shaw Tower residents and the Harbour Green trio.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 1:37 AM

Well considering no one lives in HG outside of a few weeks a year I cant imagine it will be too much of an issue.

We jsut have to keep a lid on Shaw, I wonder if any of our fourmers can help us out on that one *chough*

And regarding the piling apparently my info was wrong already... see what happens when you resign from your job? I am quite certain the prefabrication will not be done in time for installiation prior to the games, although things were really rolling when I left so anything is possible. I`ll try and keep in touch with some of my old collegues and see what the current plan is.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 7:52 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I know that there are people that live in coal harbour that have the direct line to the mayor and dept heads at city hall, don't think there is anything I or anyone else could do to stop them from making those calls.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 4:08 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Well we could pee in their elevators I guess.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 1:07 AM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Well we could pee in their elevators I guess.
We would find you and beat you to death with our gold bars.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 1:14 AM

^ there goes the views.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
^ there goes the views.
I think the Seaplane terminal would add to the feel of the city being by the sea. So the minor loss of part fo the view of the north shore really isn't all that significant is it?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 1:27 AM
Dig-it

Quote:
^ there goes the views.
Actually it doesn’t make any difference, as everyone is looking down to even see it, it has no horizontal obstructions.
Interesting enough, the existing terminal has 10 piles and the barge has 15 on it. I assume the new dock will be larger?.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 1:28 AM

I am assuming people are being a bit sarcastic. How does a terminal and marina that sit below the seawall and a good two stories beneath the convention center and a good four or five floors (height-wise) from the first living level of any of the condos block anybody's view? It anything, it gives a sleek new thing to look down upon while sipping martinis or downing a nice cabernet .

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 1:34 AM

It hinders the dramatic and grandiose design of the convention centre. Before nothing stood between you and the water, now it'll be a marina of a substantial size.

You don't see them putting a marina in front of the Sydney Opera House or Hong Kong Convention Centre for the same reasons.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
We would find you and beat you to death with our gold bars.
Hahaha that's hilarious.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 2:24 AM

Quote:
It hinders the dramatic and grandiose design of the convention centre. Before nothing stood between you and the water, now it'll be a marina of a substantial size.

You don't see them putting a marina in front of the Sydney Opera House or Hong Kong Convention Centre for the same reasons.
And that's a bad thing? The convention centre is nice, but it is no Sydney Opera house. Further to that, I don't imagine to many people go to the House to look out at the water, they are on the water to look at the landmark view of the House.

Even further to that, if it becomes about the view of the convention centre from the water, the float plane terminal would further enhance Vancouver's profile as a city on the edge of nature, city on the ocean, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver