HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 7:34 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

Yes, this is the #7 city in the nation for life science space construction (by total under construction square-feet) and #1 by percentage growth in life science space! We didn't have many construction photographs this week, but do have a lot of videos!

Video Link

African-American History Museum:
We can now move this project to our construction list.

Video Link

Radel North American Headquarters:
The South African company I spoke of, last month, is now ready to move forward and create new jobs and investment. They are Radel, which is involved in rail, mining, defense, and industrial vehicles. Their United States location will be at 209 Mercantile Drive, near the former Sci-Works Museum campus, if incentives are approved. According to officials, President Joe Biden's trade agreement brought this project to the U.S.,. They are opening this facility to meet the rules and regulations connected to that. Could this be connected to the Siemens Mobility project or maybe Progress Rail? It's very close to the Siemens Mobility project's ground breaking?

NASCAR All-Star Race:

Video Link

WoodSpring Suites Extended Stay Hotel:

Credit: Vannoy Construction

Exposition Center:
The first phase of this multi-phase project is now in permitting. Shelco will be the General Contractor for the 25,940-square-foot building on 186.38 acres. It will have an event center (yes, another one!) and the County Agricultural Extension Service Office. The building will have offices, demonstration kitchens, a warming kitchen, and event center seating. Cladding materials will be stone, metal panels, and cement fiber board siding with a faux wood appearance.

Metropolitan Mixed-use:

Credit: qSb5XdW6ea4

Belews Lake Park:

Video Link

Stevens Center Renovation:
According to WXII-TV 12, the Stevens Center will add seats? I don't know if this is a mistake or if their plans have changed?

Interstate 74:

Video Link

Körner’s Folly Visitor Center: Built!
No fooling! This project was completed and opened on April Fools Day.

Credit: wilsoncovington

Credit: wilsoncovington

Credit: kornersfolly

Credit: kornersfolly

#7 Metro with the most Life Sciences Construction:
Phase II construction of downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District has moved the Winston-Salem MSA to 7th place among the U.S. metros with the most active life sciences pipelines. This is according to CommercialEdge. Winston-Salem's metro area has 1 million square-feet of life sciences space under construction. The report said the Winston-Salem MSA's life science space growth is unique in that it is being driven by a single project: Phase II of downtown Winston-Salem's Innovation Quarter. Boston was first on their list, with 10.9 million square feet of life science space under construction.

Novant Health Critical Care Center:

What's on the roof?

Your City

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 8:33 PM

How about a new Interstate 777?

Quote:
Officials with the Carolina Core are working on a Future Interstate designation for U.S. 421 from Wilkesboro through Yadkinville and on to I-40 in Winston-Salem. At this point, luck seems to be on their side — the state’s congressional delegation and economic development staffers in Forsyth, Yadkin, and Wilkes counties were recently told the number for the hoped-for highway will be Future Interstate 777 (U.S. 421 intersects with I-77).

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...rstyh.amp.html

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Apr 8, 2024 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 12:55 AM

WOW, this is great news. Of course, I must indicate that from North Wilkesboro to I 77 should be I 777 while from I 77 to I 40 should be I 477 or some 3-digit even of I 77 (not I 277 of course).

BUT HEY I 777 all the way - we’ll take it !!! This is great?

Now, lobby for I 685 (should be I 695) to I 40 at the new I 777!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
WOW, this is great news. Of course, I must indicate that from North Wilkesboro to I 77 should be I 777 while from I 77 to I 40 should be I 477 or some 3-digit even of I 77 (not I 277 of course).

BUT HEY I 777 all the way - we’ll take it !!! This is great?

Now, lobby for I 685 (should be I 695) to I 40 at the new I 777!
I still can't understand why they are using an odd numbered designation because the new road will connect with two even badged interstates. There seems to be some confusion over the rule regarding this. I remember reading that even numbered three-digit interstates are given only when they connect back to the same interstate. And that odd three digits interstates are given to interstates that do not reconnect to the same even interstate. This seems to be the case in this instance, but in other instances they give even numbers even if it connects to a different interstate. I'm so confused.

I also think that the new interstate should be I-740 if its only going to be an interstate that runs from North Wilkesboro to I-40, even if it connects to I-77 north of North Wilkesboro as only a State Highway. So the real question remains. Which end of I-40 will it connect with? Does that mean that it will be I-777 thru downtown Winston-Salem and connect at spit in Colfax or will it stop at the Western end of I-40 in Winston-Salem. It would be nice to have I-777 intersect with I-285 in downtown Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem would, in the future, have I-40, I-74, I-285, I-777, and I-274. For a total of five interstate highways. WOW!

Last edited by LynnAikens; Apr 9, 2024 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:20 PM

Taken from Crossnore, formerly Children's Home, Farm.
You'll have to hit Ctrl and scroll down to reduce the size.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 5:39 PM

"Lynn Aikens - I still can't understand why they are using an odd numbered designation because the new road will connect with two even badged interstates. There seems to be some confusion over the rule regarding this. I remember reading that even numbered three-digit interstates are given only when they connect back to the same interstate. And that odd three digits interstates are given to interstates that do not reconnect to the same even interstate. This seems to be the case in this instance, but in other instances they give even numbers even if it connects to a different interstate. I'm so confused.

I also think that the new interstate should be I-740 if its only going to be an interstate that runs from North Wilkesboro to I-40, even if it connects to I-77 north of North Wilkesboro as only a State Highway. So the real question remains. Which end of I-40 will it connect with? Does that mean that it will be I-777 thru downtown Winston-Salem and connect at spit in Colfax or will it stop at the Western end of I-40 in Winston-Salem. It would be nice to have I-777 intersect with I-285 in downtown Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem would, in the future, have I-40, I-74, I-285, I-777, and I-274. For a total of five interstate highways. WOW!"

Actually, the AASHTO rule is 3-digit odd-numbered Interstates stem from a numbered Interstate as a spur into a city or area. 3-digit even-numbered Interstates loop connecting the same numbered Interstate OR (and most occurring) connect two numbered Interstates taking the number of one of these numbered Interstates with (as far as can be determined) no rule for which 2-digit Interstate is associated with the 3-digit even version.

So, as I indicated, if'n the rules are followed that part of US 421 to be designated as an Interstate from North Wilkesboro to I 77 must be or should be a 3-digit odd number of I 77 because it does not connect two Interstates or the same Interstate hence I 777 seemingly what has been approved.

However, that part of US 421 to be designated a 3-digit Interstate from I 77 to I 40 should be a 3-digit even number of either I 77 or I 40. My preference and best all around in my opinion would be a 3-digit even of I 77 because it would give W-S an I 77 presence.

It seems in this case those in control are opting for I 777 all the way from North Wilkesboro to I 40 ostensibly for the perception of continuity rather than two different Interstate signages though the latter would not only be desirable but conform to the AASHTO rules.

Regarding that part of US 421 from its junction with new I 777 near the Hanestown area through W-S downtown (original I 40), I repeat it should be an extension of I 685 from wherever it is shown to end in Greensboro (concurrent with I 40) until the split in Kernersville through downtown W-S to I 40 and new I 777 junction and I repeat it should be really I 695, which would give the entire Triad (I cannot believe I actually used that term "legitimately") an I 95 presence. But, otherwise extending new I 777 through W-S to Kernersville and I 40 would be OK but then unfortunately in my opinion with two I 40 connections in this case then a 3-digit even number of I 40 would seem warranted though in NC only I 640 is available, which really should have been the entire W-S Beltway signage, but that's another story.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:11 PM

I dont know the rules about numbering interstates. All I know is I really want an I-777 here!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
"Lynn Aikens - I still can't understand why they are using an odd numbered designation because the new road will connect with two even badged interstates. There seems to be some confusion over the rule regarding this. I remember reading that even numbered three-digit interstates are given only when they connect back to the same interstate. And that odd three digits interstates are given to interstates that do not reconnect to the same even interstate. This seems to be the case in this instance, but in other instances they give even numbers even if it connects to a different interstate. I'm so confused.

I also think that the new interstate should be I-740 if its only going to be an interstate that runs from North Wilkesboro to I-40, even if it connects to I-77 north of North Wilkesboro as only a State Highway. So the real question remains. Which end of I-40 will it connect with? Does that mean that it will be I-777 thru downtown Winston-Salem and connect at spit in Colfax or will it stop at the Western end of I-40 in Winston-Salem. It would be nice to have I-777 intersect with I-285 in downtown Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem would, in the future, have I-40, I-74, I-285, I-777, and I-274. For a total of five interstate highways. WOW!"

Actually, the AASHTO rule is 3-digit odd-numbered Interstates stem from a numbered Interstate as a spur into a city or area. 3-digit even-numbered Interstates loop connecting the same numbered Interstate OR (and most occurring) connect two numbered Interstates taking the number of one of these numbered Interstates with (as far as can be determined) no rule for which 2-digit Interstate is associated with the 3-digit even version.

So, as I indicated, if'n the rules are followed that part of US 421 to be designated as an Interstate from North Wilkesboro to I 77 must be or should be a 3-digit odd number of I 77 because it does not connect two Interstates or the same Interstate hence I 777 seemingly what has been approved.

However, that part of US 421 to be designated a 3-digit Interstate from I 77 to I 40 should be a 3-digit even number of either I 77 or I 40. My preference and best all around in my opinion would be a 3-digit even of I 77 because it would give W-S an I 77 presence.

It seems in this case those in control are opting for I 777 all the way from North Wilkesboro to I 40 ostensibly for the perception of continuity rather than two different Interstate signages though the latter would not only be desirable but conform to the AASHTO rules.

Regarding that part of US 421 from its junction with new I 777 near the Hanestown area through W-S downtown (original I 40), I repeat it should be an extension of I 685 from wherever it is shown to end in Greensboro (concurrent with I 40) until the split in Kernersville through downtown W-S to I 40 and new I 777 junction and I repeat it should be really I 695, which would give the entire Triad (I cannot believe I actually used that term "legitimately") an I 95 presence. But, otherwise extending new I 777 through W-S to Kernersville and I 40 would be OK but then unfortunately in my opinion with two I 40 connections in this case then a 3-digit even number of I 40 would seem warranted though in NC only I 640 is available, which really should have been the entire W-S Beltway signage, but that's another story.
Yadkin - It’s good that we think alike on this subject. Also, remember that I-40 is a major interstate while I-77 is a minor interstate. East/West interstates with numbers in multiples of 10 are considered major interstates. While North/South interstates in multiples of five are considered major interstates. All the other numbered interstates outside of these rules are minor interstates. So, the I-40 designation carries more weight than I-77. I'm not a highway expert, but I have read this in several articles.

One point I disagree with you on. I don't think that naming the interstate I-695 would be the answer. If they brought a loop of I-95 west of I-85 it would confuse drivers even more. The higher numbered odd interstates should be in the east. I think they have been trying to keep some sort of formality to the system as best they could. Looking at a map where a part of I-95 is west of I-85 would take some of the integrity away from the system. Just my two cents.

Last edited by LynnAikens; Apr 10, 2024 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMetroRaleigh View Post
I dont know the rules about numbering interstates. All I know is I really want an I-777 here!
At its inception, there were rules for numbering interstates. Now politics got involved so there doesn't seem to be any rules. Thank God that the major interstates have all been built using solid rules and the minor interstates are the confusion. I-40 and I-85 are the only two major interstate highways in this part of the state and Winston- Salem has one of them.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:19 PM

LynnAikens - Thank you for the comments and I do agree. My purpose in my suggestions is to get as many Interstate 2-digits represented in W-S as possible hence I 695 as there's already an I 285 and I 477 and/or I 777 since I 40 is already represented in W-S - otherwise agreed.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:28 PM

I tell ya, a 100 story Apple skyscraper could be announced for downtown Winston-Salem, and it would get far fewer reaction posts here than a post about a new interstate. lol

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Apr 10, 2024 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMetroRaleigh View Post
I tell, a 100 story Apple skyscraper could be announced for downtown Winston-Salem, and it would get far fewer reaction posts here than a post about a new interstate. lol
So, is there a 100 story Apple skyscraper being built in Winston-Salem? If so, let’s talk about it. Or you can share other interesting economic matters with the forum. I'm sure everyone would be interested.

Interstate highways were used to develop the USA economy after WWII. That's why the United States grew faster than most other countries in the world. The more interstates a city has the better chances they will increase economic development. It was the same with rivers many years ago.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 7:50 PM

"The more interstates a city has the better chances they will increase economic development."

Exactly - well-said!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 12:38 AM

Quote:
The interstate designation would subject the road to federally-set standards, which include, improved traffic flow, travel time dependability and enhanced safety measures.

“When it meets interstate standards, the road will be safer,” Hill said.

The initiative has garnered widespread support from several counties and towns in the region, including Forsyth, Yadkin and Wilkes Counties. However, further backing from North Carolina’s representatives and Congress is still needed to advance the project.

“Our Congressional delegation was supportive, and as the appropriate legislation comes around, we expect that this resolution will be adopted,” Hill said. “It may not be this year. It may not be next year, but we are very, very hopeful.”
https://trib.al/x7ejNoL

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 12:59 AM
Fourth and Main

They can't run/shield an Interstate on Salem Parkway through downtown. It's not up-to-standards and would require additional ROW, demolition, and cutting into rock to bring it up-to-standards. Maybe, as an odd-numbered Interstate, it could end at Stratford Road? That issue (through downtown) is likely why I-777 will start/end at the U.S. 421/I-40 split. I do support using a variation of the I-77 shield number. Originally, I-77 was planned to pass-through Forsyth County, but many rural areas fought this and had it move a little more to the west. If I remember correctly, it would've passed through the area where the upscale Brookberry Farm development is and that was the preferred route. Yes, I'm also a highway/infrastructure nerd. As an urbanist, I'm not opposed to this. They are using an existing controlled-access highway that requires very little investment to convert it to I-777.

I also thought it had to be I-677 (as an example) on the eastern end and I-777 on the western end, but I guess they want continuity on the route? I could see that being of benefit. I also think the number 777, as a "lucky number," may attract economic development just from those wanting their project connected to that number. One of the more exciting things about this announcement is the opportunity to create a Yadkin County Mega Site that can access labor pools in Winston-Salem, Mount Airy, the Wilkesboros, and Statesville. And I would brand it the I-777 Mega Site, to take advantage of that number. The biggest issue could be water/sewer service, which is one reason the existing highway likely hasn't attracted more development? There could be state and federal money for that? The second biggest issue is no rail service (that I'm aware of?). I would like to see a commitment, long-term, to extend this Interstate to Boone/Appalachian State University. I know that may not happen until I'm retired and a granddad, but I would still like to see it on long-range plans as a serious project for northwest North Carolina.

The next Interstate we are waiting for is the Airport Connector between I-73 and I-74. Preferably with a three-digit variation of I-73. And I'm guessing that would be the final Interstate? North Carolina does like to enclose its economic engine cities in Interstates.

Last edited by Matthew; Apr 11, 2024 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Winston-Salem communities celebrated the groundbreaking of a new affordable housing project coming to the area next year.

The Flats at Peters Creek is located at 600 Peters Creek Parkway. That’s at the intersection of Academy St. and Peters Creek Parkway right off of Salem Parkway.
https://www.wxii12.com/article/commu...salem/60458209

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 3:48 PM

Time for the River Run Film Festival - yea. I noticed that some films will be in Greensboro - OK, but the Downtown Winston-Salem Newsletter is advertising the film festival as “Winston-Salem Greensboro. I thought River Run was a Winston-Salem film festival now with a very few offerings at venues adjacent to W-S. Am I wrong and the name now includes Greensboro?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 7:32 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

Do you remember this 1980s classic... it's from 1963:
Video Link

Interstate 777:

Video Link

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

You can see this apartment building and its tower crane from inside the ballpark:

Credit: iroll_up74

Crystal Towers Renovation:
Winston Watchman is reporting, two elevators are now working.

Liberty Plaza Renovation:

Interior demolition on the eighth floor for the co-working spaces:

Credit: Launch Tower

Credit: Launch Tower

New Tenants/Leases:
Greater Winston-Salem's new headquarters, in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, is now completed. It contains a workforce hub for Forsyth Tech's Small Business Center, several meeting rooms, networking spaces, and collaboration spaces.

Credit: greaterwinstonsaleminc

Conrad Hill Mega Site:
A property investor is seeking a zoning change for the former Conrad Hill Gold Mine to create an 800 acre mega site. The property investor can acquire more land and increase the size of the site (potentially doubling it in size), which has two power line easements, environmental studies, and easy access to water/sewer and gas. This potential mega site is near the under construction Nucor Steel Mill. If approved by the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina, this will be the only mega site in the popular and highly populated "Urban Crescent" of North Carolina, far from hurricanes and near multiple Interstates and large urban labor pools.

Truist Stadium Upgrades:

Credit: flblum

UNCSA Dance:
Winston-Salem's UNCSA and the Dance Theatre of Harlem created a new collaboration that will have UNCSA Dance students training with the Dance Theatre of Harlem and the Dance Theatre of Harlem will visit Winston-Salem for educational activities and performances. As part of the collaboration, they will work together "to revitalize iconic works from the Dance Theatre of Harlem canon, as well as co-curate new works and creative projects."

The Flats at Peters Creek:
This is now under construction and will appear on our construction list.

Video Link

Stevens Center Renovation:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:
The law firm of Allen Stahl + Kilbourne has completed their upfit at Bailey Power Plant and will open their new office space on April 17. One of their specializations is craft brewing and distilling law. Interestingly, they are locating above one of downtown Winston-Salem's most popular breweries.

Nucor Steel Mill:

Workers installed signage in the office space:

Credit: Sharpe Co

Credit: Sharpe Co

Interstate 74:

Video Link

Economic Development:
Winston-Salem is in talks with six life science companies about moving to the city. They are also in talks with three aerospace/aviation companies. Their 60 total (in all fields) potential economic development projects are proposing $7.6 billion in potential investment and 13,000 potential jobs. Most of the interest in moving to Winston-Salem is from Chicago, following by New York. Sorry, I don't have the metro area numbers.

Alternative Transportation:

Micro Mobility:
The City is reviewing two applications, from Lime and Bird, for e-scooters in downtown Winston-Salem. The last operator of e-scooters shut-down their operations nationally. So, this will become the replacement service. Look for them to return in the summer.

Transit, Bike, & Pedestrian Improvements:
RATP Dev USA will take-over operations of WSTA Bus service in 2025 with a five year contract and a two-year renewal option. It will cost $27.7 million in the first year and increase with inflation to $32.8 million in 2030. They will also look into changing the city's traditional hub-and-spoke model to one with more direct service.

Plans are underway to make the Old Salem Neighborhood more pedestrian and bike friendly. We should learn more, soon. That area already has a lot of pedestrians and cyclists, but I'm guessing there are upgrades they can make to improve the experience?

Off-Subject:

Today is the last day for this:
Video Link

Your City

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 4:47 PM

Charlotte is getting a Wegmans after years of thousands of Charlotteans lobbying for it. Winston needs to do the same.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ch...DHPB6R6ITY4V4/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 4:48 PM

RATP taking over the busses and changing from hub and spoke is great news. Should make the bus system more viable for quick trips.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations