HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 8:13 AM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/secti...ogID=greg-hinz

Alderman Reilly lays down a marker
Posted by Greg H. at 4/4/2011 1:49 PM CDT

Alderman Brendan Reilly (42nd) has laid down a new marker, of sorts, on the future of Northwestern's old Prentice Hospital. The 50th Ward aldermanic race gets wilder. And Congressman Dan Lipinski asks for southwest rail money.

In an email to constituents over the weekend, Mr. Reilly rather clearly underlined the point that he wants to preserve the old Prentice Women's Hospital that Northwestern University wants to demolish.

The alderman "persuaded" the university to delay demolition for 60 days, long enough to present a report on reuse options, he says. The site "will be redeveloped for continued institutional use moving forward."

But this could be a stiffer fight than the alderman faced in getting Northwestern to keep the Lakeshore Club a couple of years ago. By all indications, the old hospital is in poor shape, Northwestern needs more space than the existing structure could accommodate and some suggest Marina City would make a far better landmark candidate if the work of architect Bertrand Goldberg is to be preserved.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 1:15 PM
The City

Daley has been remarkably mum since his return from his taxpayer-funded 2 week trek across China.

I wonder what he has to show for the trip? Any deals? Meetings and speeches are fine, but where's the loot? Looks like he wasn't all too successful.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Daley has been remarkably mum since his return from his taxpayer-funded 2 week trek across China.

I wonder what he has to show for the trip? Any deals? Meetings and speeches are fine, but where's the loot? Looks like he wasn't all too successful.
Sure he was. He went and had a good time on our dime without having to do anything real. He was successful in pursuing his own enjoyment.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:17 PM
you know where I'll be

Addition to Lab School at U of C

I noticed on their website that demolition work began a month or two ago for the expansion at the Lab School at U of C. I love the design by VDT, and although I don't get down to Hyde Park as much as I'd like, I'm looking forward to this addition and it will be just another reason to make it down and check out the campus and surrounding areas....

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:27 PM
tilted & shifted

Reilly gets Northwestern to hold off on its old Prentice demolition push; and why that matters

April 04, 2011

When there's time--and when there's a civic debate--there's always hope for saving a building from the wrecker's ball. The successful battle to ward off the demolition of old Cook County Hospital attests to that.

That's why there could be real significance--and not just political posturing--in the news that Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) has forced Northwestern University to put off applying for a demolition permit for old Prentice Hospital for 60 days.

In case you missed it, Reilly sent out an email to constituents on Saturday in which he revealed that he met with Northwestern officials last week and they "informed me of their plans to immedidately apply for a demolition permit to take down" old Prentice.

In turn, Reilly added in the email, he persuaded university officials to suspend their permit application plans for 60 days.

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Apr 6, 2011 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:28 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
He went and had a good time on our dime without having to do anything real. He was successful in pursuing his own enjoyment.
What do you mean by "our dime?" Daley's foreign trips are always funded by business groups.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I was living in this ward up until recently and have gotten to know John. He is very straightforward and more of the "SOAR" NIMBY and less of the "WLCO" NIMBY. I really hope he wins, but I have a hard time seeing how 6 Corners will ever recover because of its lack of transit connections. They really should have continued the Blue Line as a subway under Milwaukee instead of down the middle of the Kennedy...
I agree with that. I think it has become apparent from both the blue line and the red line that putting essentially a subway in a Highway median is a fantastic way to assure transit underutilization. I know some of those stations actually have pretty good ridership numbers but I just can't help thinking that if the blue line for instance continued along milwaukee to perhaps higgins or devon before turning to Ohare that the business development paradigm along Milw on the NW side would be much better.

Similiarly the redline if if was subway under state or perhaps halsted.....though it wouldn't have fostered enhanced development along that corridor since that corridor has been so messed up for the past 50 years....at least moving forward it might help what appears to be nascent improvement along at least parts of the south main.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Pulled from SSC (thanks to Mr. Downtown). This old pic gets me wondering--the building on the right was torn down for what is now a defunct drive through business. Does anybody know who currently owns that lot? I have long felt that that site would be ideal for a mixed use development (residential above, retail below) that makes better use of a rather prominent and busy intersection.

I would hope that Loyola would see the value of such real estate, especially since they have developed so many sites to the east and north of this one.
That building was really pretty cool. Though when it was torn down in the early 1990's I have to admit it was really dilapidated.It used to have a King FU studionon the third floor. There was a reggae club I think if I remember correctly along broadway south of Devon....I forget its name.

Which John ...Garrido or Arena

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 7:59 PM
TL;DR

South Works Velodrome

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 8:12 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

^^^ I mean its fine, but its a little generic. Could be built in a lot of cities, both in the US and globally.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
What do you mean by "our dime?" Daley's foreign trips are always funded by business groups.
No kidding. And even if they weren't, it's hard to imagine a better use of $100,000 than promoting Chicago's brand and benefits abroad. Good marketing and face-to-face meetings usually pay for themselves.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
South Works Velodrome
Nice concept but I'm afraid this will become a white elephant shortly after it opens

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
No kidding. And even if they weren't, it's hard to imagine a better use of $100,000 than promoting Chicago's brand and benefits abroad. Good marketing and face-to-face meetings usually pay for themselves.
Tell that to the Olympic Committee...I can't think of a worse representative abroad for this city than someone who can barely speak English well enough to be understood at home.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 10:22 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
South Works Velodrome

I like it. They could have done something a little more badass, but this is not bad looking.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:02 AM
Plenary pleasures.

The Logan Arts Center (tower) @ U of C has topped out

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:34 AM

Wow, that one shot up quick.

On an completely Off Topic post...Shouldn't the Chicago Spire site be secured or something? I've passed by there from time to time on the bridge to take photos of the river, and I noticed people cutting through the site or looking down into the hole.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:43 AM
TL;DR

Seems like the best place to discuss the runoff... Ald. Stone is out, finally. I'm glad he's gone, but all the colorful people in Chicago politics seem to be disappearing.

Arena won in in the 45th! It's very, very close (he won by only 29 votes) so the results could flip after a recount. Still, a great sign for future TOD at what should be a big nexus of transit and development in Jefferson Park, and around the Montrose Blue Line station.

Unfortunately, Phelan lost in the 46th, but even Cappleman should be a huge improvement over Schiller.

Michele Smith is leading the 43rd - another close election, and not all votes have been counted - but she opposes the Webster Square project. Is it possible for her to kill it at this point if she is elected?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Wow, that one shot up quick.

On an completely Off Topic post...Shouldn't the Chicago Spire site be secured or something? I've passed by there from time to time on the bridge to take photos of the river, and I noticed people cutting through the site or looking down into the hole.
I'm wondering about the Chicago spire site also...did they get off-track with construction on the last major activity? Is the more positive work being done on their creating a blueprint people can check in on?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:20 AM

Last edited by Loopy; Oct 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:24 AM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

What about pulling what Moscow did after construction stalled on their gargantuan Palace of the Soviets—turning the foundations into a giant swimming pool :

[UNCREDITED IMAGES REMOVED]

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Apr 6, 2011 at 7:37 PM. Reason: Wording

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development